Posted to alt.home.repair
notbob notbob is offline

Default does anyone make a decent wiper blade?

On 2017-02-01, ChairMan wrote:

I'll second the Rain X, I've used the Latitudes for a couple
of years and will keep using them

Amazing how many different stories pop up. But, I feel I should weigh
in with my poor opinion of Rain-X.

I've had nothing trouble from my Rain-X stuff and would not recommend
Rain-X products in any form! I bought Rain-X blade refills and used
the gallons of Rain-X windshield washer fluid my late mom usta buy.
What I ended up with, in her low-mileage '91 Toyota mini-motorhome, is
blade chatter, most severe. The blades almost chatter completely off
the windshield on the rebound stroke, thereby rendering the wipers
almost useless during a heavy rainfall.

I've never experienced this phenomena, before. Ever! And I'm almost
70 yrs old and have owned/driven many car types/brands, over the
years.

Since I dumped all the Rain-X windshield washer fluid and will prolly
lose the blades, this Spring, I'm hoping the issue will be in the
past. Just using a different windshield washer liquid (no matter how
cheap) has reduced wiper "chatter", dramatically. I'm confindent
losing the Rain-X blades will eliminate the problem, completely.

I have no proof this is strictly a Rain-X problem, but none of this
was EVER an issue before I got those damn Rain-X blade refills.

BTW, sometimes cheaper 3rd party wiper replacements (not jes blade
refills, the entire blade assy) are no bargain. I once bought some
cheapo replacement wipers ('87 Honda Civic Hatchback S model), and
they allowed zero air-flow through the plastic wiper arm sections.
The entire wiper blade assy would lift completely off the windshield
at any speed above 65mph. I finally hadda buy some factory Honda
wiper assys, at 4 times the price of the cheapo's, to get wipers that
actually worked, properly.

nb