Posted to alt.home.repair

Default does anyone make a decent wiper blade?

On 2017-02-02, badgolferman wrote:

I have a SUV. Three wipers that lasted two years.

I think this is hilarious. Two whole years! Jinkies!! Almost as
long as today's crappy windshields.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/1/2017 8:13 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/01/2017 01:25 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I am talking about the Rain-X washer fluid that you pour into the
washer fluid reservoir and
apply via the sprayers.

Thanks for the clarification everyone. I don't remember ever seeing
Rain-X fluid but I'm about due for a new jug so I'll look for it.

Here you go:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/158-7064168-5901841?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=rain-x

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-02-02, badgolferman wrote:

I have a SUV. Three wipers that lasted two years.

I think this is hilarious. Two whole years! Jinkies!! Almost as
long as today's crappy windshields.

nb

Seems that 12 to 18 months is normal. As for windshields, at about
60,000 is a good starting place. Almost as good as getting a new car
when the pitting is gone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/02/2017 07:45 AM, badgolferman wrote:
rbowman wrote:

On 02/01/2017 10:57 AM, badgolferman wrote:
I bought the wipers from the parts counter and installed them
myself. They are silent, clean perfectly, fit perfectly, no big
bulges where it attaches to the arm, and all three cost $54.75.

For $54.75, I'll stick with NAPA, thank you.iirc it was about $20 for
both sides.

I have a SUV. Three wipers that lasted two years.

I've got a Yaris hatchback. I have a replacement for the rear wiper but
haven't used it yet, so that's been there for six year come next month.
I replaced the fronts a couple of years ago and they're still going
strong. What do you do with your wipers? Acid rain?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/1/2017 8:13 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/01/2017 01:25 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I am talking about the Rain-X washer fluid that you pour into the
washer fluid reservoir and
apply via the sprayers.

Thanks for the clarification everyone. I don't remember ever seeing
Rain-X fluid but I'm about due for a new jug so I'll look for it.

Here you go:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/158-7064168-5901841?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=rain-x

Thanks, but at $21 a gallon I'll stick with the $3 blue stuff. It always
worked for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/2017 10:00 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 2/1/2017 8:13 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/01/2017 01:25 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I am talking about the Rain-X washer fluid that you pour into the
washer fluid reservoir and
apply via the sprayers.

Thanks for the clarification everyone. I don't remember ever seeing
Rain-X fluid but I'm about due for a new jug so I'll look for it.

Here you go:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/158-7064168-5901841?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=rain-x

Thanks, but at $21 a gallon I'll stick with the $3 blue stuff. It always
worked for me.

That's not the stuff I use. Rain-X is about $3.50 a gallon at WalMart,
Advanced, etc
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/r...iRoaAoI-8P8HAQ
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
put new blades on after each ice season is over, i.e. in the spring

Blades cost too much now and don't hold up. Some models allow you to refill
instead of replacing whole thing. To refill my 66 datsun, I had to search
hard. Even then, I had to cut off length. I even found NOS blade refills at
a country hardware store. They are out to get you.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/02/2017 09:05 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
That's not the stuff I use. Rain-X is about $3.50 a gallon at WalMart,
Advanced, etc

For $3.50 I'll give it a shot. I don't know if the Amazon stuff had
little flakes of gold in it but there were a couple of other brands in
the same nosebleed territory and they didn't seem to be concentrates you
could use to brew up a few gallons.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/03/2017 01:35 AM, gregz wrote:
Blades cost too much now and don't hold up. Some models allow you to refill
instead of replacing whole thing. To refill my 66 datsun, I had to search
hard. Even then, I had to cut off length. I even found NOS blade refills at
a country hardware store. They are out to get you.

One of my trips to NAPA a few years ago the woman behind the counter
told me to put the pricey blades back and just get the refills and
pointed out the little stop I'd have to break off to get the refill in.
I don't think I've even seen the refills lately.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 9:59:53 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 2/1/2017 8:13 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/01/2017 01:25 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I am talking about the Rain-X washer fluid that you pour into the
washer fluid reservoir and
apply via the sprayers.

Thanks for the clarification everyone. I don't remember ever seeing
Rain-X fluid but I'm about due for a new jug so I'll look for it.

Here you go:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/158-7064168-5901841?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=rain-x

Thanks, but at $21 a gallon I'll stick with the $3 blue stuff. It always
worked for me.

If I'm not mistaken, the $21 stuff is just a spray version of the same stuff that we didn't like
20 years ago. It's a glass treatment, not a washer fluid that applies a little glass treatment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I tried rainX once. The wipers really dragged, then my wiper gear made
noise after that experience. Today I use the rainX washer fluid with no
problems.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/1/17 3:32 PM, songbird wrote:
Naturous wrote:
songbird formulated the question :

the common ones have been utter crap. i replaced mine last fall
and already one has torn.

I paid over $15.00 for one blade two years ago. That's a big jump
from the early 70's were a single wiper blade was less than 5
bucks.

this set ran $10, so not too bad, but they seem so cheaply made that
they are designed to fail.

the other thing that bugs me is that i drive this car so rarely that
they've hardly had any use at all.

probably ripped when i lifted it up to get the ice off the
windshield, but i was careful. maybe not careful enough.

thanks to everyone for the replies. i don't think i can get refills
now that i've changed the factory blades out for replacements (and
yes, by chance it is a Honda will be 20yrs old this spring )
(ahem, the car, not me). this was the first and only car i've ever
bought new. i still love driving it.

still collects mice in there too. very expensive mouse trap.

songbird

I've had good luck using Fresh Cab Rodent Repellant.
https://www.amazon.com/Earthkind-Botanical-Rodent-Repellent-Pouches/dp/B00L236OMW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1486234656&sr=8-5&keywords=mouse+repellent
Good old fashioned stinky moth balls seem to work also. I've read
peppermint
oil works but haven't tried it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default mice (was: does anyone make a decent wiper blade?

Dean Hoffman wrote:
songbird wrote:

still collects mice in there too. very expensive mouse trap.

I've had good luck using Fresh Cab Rodent Repellant.
https://www.amazon.com/Earthkind-Botanical-Rodent-Repellent-Pouches/dp/B00L236OMW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1486234656&sr=8-5&keywords=mouse+repellent
Good old fashioned stinky moth balls seem to work also. I've read
peppermint
oil works but haven't tried it.

i have no tolerance for moth balls or many
other nasty scented things (Bounce dryer sheets),
but i have tried them to keep the mice out.
nothing has worked consistently. i bought two
Fresh Cab packets last week so perhaps a
double dose will do it? anyways, they do smell
better than mice pee/poo. i can't find the
damn nest in there which stinks so bad. what
i need is a lift where i can get under it and
find where they are getting in the car to
begin with. i have no place to work on it
inside or a lift. and a cable camera that
i can thread into places i can't see to
find the nest.

mechanic could not find any gaps when he
looked but i think he must not have looked
very well.

there are two traps in it now, with p-nut
butter (very small amounts - i don't want to
attract mice just capture the ones that get
in there once they do get in there).

i've already taken the back seat out to
make sure there is no nest under it (they
were chewing the foam to get under there
but there was no nest there, but there was
a nest along the kickboard in the back
under that carpeting. i took out anything
i've found and cleaned it up with bleach
then soapy water.

the larger problem is that there are so
many gaps and spaces that it's impossible
to plug them up to keep mice out once they
get inside the car.

i now also have everything out of the
glove comparment because the mice shredded
what was in there and used it for nesting
material.

ghods, they stink so bad.

and if you want more entertainment than
this you can search my handle history about
the dead mouse from before. i never did
find that one... yick...

songbird