Sue Ann

Default cigarette smoke entering from condo below.....

.....and I can't stand it. We have common hot water baseboard heat and I
have caulked around all water pipes. There's no insulation between the
ceiling of the condo below and my hardwood floors which are covered with
wall-to-wall carpeting.
Crazy idea: Taking up the carpet and putting a layer of Tyvek under the
padding? What do you think?
Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance.........

CBhvac

"Sue Ann" wrote in message
....and I can't stand it. We have common hot water baseboard heat and I
have caulked around all water pipes. There's no insulation between the
ceiling of the condo below and my hardwood floors which are covered with
wall-to-wall carpeting.
Crazy idea: Taking up the carpet and putting a layer of Tyvek under the
padding? What do you think?
Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance.........

Move. If its like most condos, particularly in CA, you cant stop it since
you wont pull all the walls down and seal the 4 inch space between the floor
and outer wall....any and all electrical conduits, AC lines that may be
there, plumbing...etc...

As a smoker, the worst thing you could do would be to ask the person that
lives below you to stop..particularly if you own the units.
You might find that the Cigar of the Month club suddenly starts to meet
there....every week.

Halvey

I think if you can prove that the smoke wafts into your condo at a
certain rate (once a day, once a week, etc) you can get a court
injunction against your neighbor smoking.

Sue Ann wrote:
....and I can't stand it. We have common hot water baseboard heat and I
have caulked around all water pipes. There's no insulation between the
ceiling of the condo below and my hardwood floors which are covered with
wall-to-wall carpeting.
Crazy idea: Taking up the carpet and putting a layer of Tyvek under the
padding? What do you think?
Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance.........

CBhvac

"Halvey" wrote in message
I think if you can prove that the smoke wafts into your condo at a
certain rate (once a day, once a week, etc) you can get a court
injunction against your neighbor smoking.

And then, if the smoker was not willing to tolerate that, one could argue
that if they were there first, that the act of smoking is a part of their
daily lives, and should the person above them wish to be smoke free, that
they move, and pay court costs for the first injunction and the second
counter suit, since the adiction to a legal product and the injunction
against a normal daily activity has violated their rights...yea..I can see
this in a state like CA...
In order for that to hold, one would have to have a court make smokes
illegal....I would think....and thats not going to happen...if it does,
banning smoking in your own home, then somethings gone terribly wrong in
this country.

Hound Dog

"Sue Ann" wrote in message
....and I can't stand it. We have common hot water baseboard heat and I
have caulked around all water pipes. There's no insulation between the
ceiling of the condo below and my hardwood floors which are covered with
wall-to-wall carpeting.
Crazy idea: Taking up the carpet and putting a layer of Tyvek under the
padding? What do you think?
Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance.........

Sell your condo and move to an isolated beach house or way out in the
country somewhere.

Possibly the worse thing you can do is to attempt to force a neighbor, or
anyone, to do something or stop doing something they enjoy.

Make an enemy of them, then you just might find out how difficult and nasty
some people can be.

You might by hook or crook win the original fight, but your chances of
winning the war are very slim.

Hound Dog

Hunter

"Halvey" wrote in message
I think if you can prove that the smoke wafts into your condo at a
certain rate (once a day, once a week, etc) you can get a court
injunction against your neighbor smoking.

ROTFLMAO!!!
ONLY in Amerca!

rb608

"Sue Ann" wrote in message
....and I can't stand it. We have common hot water baseboard heat and I
have caulked around all water pipes. There's no insulation between the
ceiling of the condo below and my hardwood floors which are covered with
wall-to-wall carpeting.
Crazy idea: Taking up the carpet and putting a layer of Tyvek under the
padding? What do you think?
Any other ideas?

Let's assume a polite request to the unit below would be fruitless, even if
you offered to pay for their Nicoderm.

Forget the personal comfort and convenience angle. Because it's a condo,
everyone has a common interest in the safety of the buildings. I'd say take
it up with the condo association and make an attempt to have the entire
community smoke free. Not for your personal satisfaction, of course, but to
reduce the fire hazard. Lower the insurance premiums. When there's money
involved, people pay attention. If the non-smokers outnumber the smokers,
you have a shot. If there are more smokers than non-smokers, I'd say you
may as well just move.

Joe F.

George Elkins

"Sue Ann" wrote in message
....and I can't stand it. We have common hot water baseboard heat and I
have caulked around all water pipes. There's no insulation between the
ceiling of the condo below and my hardwood floors which are covered with
wall-to-wall carpeting.
Crazy idea: Taking up the carpet and putting a layer of Tyvek under the
padding? What do you think?
Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance.........

Here are all of my crazy ideas:

Remove all baseboards and seal up cracks btw wall and floor. Do the same
with window and door casing. Reinstall baseboards & casing.
Install airtight seals onto all outlet box and wall switch plates.
If you really want to be thorough, remove flooring down to subfloor, caulk
all cracks, caulk around pipes, etc., paint subfloor with primer and install
new floor.
Increase the air pressure inside your condo somehow. (This is how hospitals
isolate rooms.) Your condo might be sucking air out of downstairs unit due
to depressurization. Or find the source of depressurization (e.g.
fireplace, range hood) and close it or somehow provide a makeup air supply .

George Elkins

John

I'm suprised to hear that condos aren't already isolated from each other!
That sounds like a serious fire hazard doesn't it? If cigarette smoke can
get through then so can smoke from a fire and, for that matter, the flames
themselves...

John

"Sue Ann" wrote in message
....and I can't stand it. We have common hot water baseboard heat and I
have caulked around all water pipes. There's no insulation between the
ceiling of the condo below and my hardwood floors which are covered with
wall-to-wall carpeting.
Crazy idea: Taking up the carpet and putting a layer of Tyvek under the
padding? What do you think?
Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance.........

Des Perado

If it is at all possible for you to move into a freestanding house, that is
what I would do.
Everyone I have ever known who lived in CONDO type housing was bothered by
something or other over which they had little or no control.
Des

"Sue Ann" wrote in message
....and I can't stand it. We have common hot water baseboard heat and I
have caulked around all water pipes. There's no insulation between the
ceiling of the condo below and my hardwood floors which are covered with
wall-to-wall carpeting.
Crazy idea: Taking up the carpet and putting a layer of Tyvek under the
padding? What do you think?
Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance.........

Poncho

Smoking is abnormal. Why is it that those who find it objectionable
are expected to put up with it or move when they are in the majority?
I have always loved the sign, "I don't mind if you smoke if you don't
mind if I fart."

Ahhhh, but you see to fart IS normal, so the comparison does not hold. A
more apt message would read "I do not mind if you smoke if you do not mind
if I jam my heroin syringe into your arm & inject the blood tainted residue
of my fix into your veins."

Poncho

EvoDawg

CBhvac wrote:

"Halvey" wrote in message
[...]

Something has gone terribly wrong already in this country. It's called
rights and personal freedoms. The bitch will have to wait until the folks
downstairs die of cancer then hope the next homeowners not a smoker. Live
free, ride free, all other can kiss my smoke smelly ass.

Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
EvoDawg

Alan wrote:

Smoking is abnormal. Why is it that those who find it objectionable
are expected to put up with it or move when they are in the majority?
I have always loved the sign, "I don't mind if you smoke if you don't
mind if I fart."

As long as you stand on your head and I can light a match and blow your ass
straight to hell!!!! What's your vice? Must be a Politically Correct Pinko
Liberal Democrate that thinks your way is the only way. Your about as
normal as those idiots trying to win my trust as the next President of the
US. Yeah just what I want some assholes pushing their "normal" agenda's up
my ass. Geeeeez LIVE FREE RIDE FREE !!!! All others can kiss my ass!

Rich

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

m Ransley

Seal your electrical outlets and any holes around plumbing, Jute
catpet pad will let vapor through, Use plastic sheet under your padding

Larry Bud

Halvey wrote in message ...
I think if you can prove that the smoke wafts into your condo at a
certain rate (once a day, once a week, etc) you can get a court
injunction against your neighbor smoking.

What nonsense. I knew it wouldn't take long for the anti smoking
nazis to invade people's homes.

In living in attached housing part of the deal is that you have to put
up with **** you might not like from your neighbors. If people who
move into these situations don't understand that, they're freakin'
morons.
rb608

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
What nonsense. I knew it wouldn't take long for the anti smoking
nazis to invade people's homes.

With all due respect, the OP is responding to carcinogenic toxins invading
*her* home. As far as I can tell, she doesn't much care if her neighbor
commits slow suicide; she simply doesn't want to ride the same bus, nor
should she be forced to out of some warped sense of personal freedom.

Joe F.

rb608

wrote in message
Hey Communist.....

*profanity snipped YOU*

This is a free country. If you want the government to control
everyone, move to a communist country. It sounds like you would fit
right in. Maybe Baghdad would suit your needs too....

Communist? Hellfire boy, you didn't read a word I wrote. I'm not talking
about government control; I'm talking about a triumph of capitalism, greed,
democracy, and the American way! (cue the patriotic music) I'm talking
about one man-one vote. I'm talking about freedom. I'm talking about the
right of an individual to stand up and fight the status quo.

Condo fees are nothing more than private taxation. It's money the
association forces you to pay just to live there. Who among us doesn't bear
that heavy burden of taxation? I do. Who wouldn't vote to reduce that
burden if possible? I would. Who would gladly pay extra taxes to subsidize
avoidable risks imposed by an irresponsible minority? Not me.

So with my American flag firmly in hand, I would petition the government
(or, in this case, the condo association) to reduce my taxes by eliminating
that risk. If they concur, great. If not, TS for me. Either way, it's a
fair process, it's a reasonable approach, it's a triumph of freedom, it's
capitalism at its best. God bless America. (end of music)

HTH,
Joe F.

Bob

"EvoDawg" wrote in message
Something has gone terribly wrong already in this country. It's

called
rights and personal freedoms.

Like the right to breath air that doesn't gag you in your own
home?

Bob

Bob

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
In living in attached housing part of the deal is that you have

to put
up with **** you might not like from your neighbors. If people

who
move into these situations don't understand that, they're

freakin'
morons.

Which includes smokers. They have a responsibility not to impose
their dangerous and unpleasant addiction on those around them.

Bob

DBW

Try some PPV - positive pressure ventilation. If the air pressure in
your condo is
slightly higher than that of the condo below the smoke shouldn't come
in. Sort of the
same effect you get when you open the door to a large office building
and get a blast
of air in the face. In fact the air will move from your condo to theirs.

Good luck,

DBW

Sue Ann wrote:

....and I can't stand it. We have common hot water baseboard heat and I
have caulked around all water pipes. There's no insulation between the
ceiling of the condo below and my hardwood floors which are covered with
wall-to-wall carpeting.
Crazy idea: Taking up the carpet and putting a layer of Tyvek under the
padding? What do you think?
Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance.........

Sid

Communist? BAGHDAD?????? You brainwashed twit! I don't know whether to
laugh or shake my head in pity. You haven't got the slightest idea what
your talking about, do you?

Light up a smoke from the $2 pack you bought to fund the billionaires in the
tobacco industry with your very life, wrap yourself in the flag and go
listen to Rush or one of the other right wing talk radio nutcases who lead
idiots like you around by the nose. You're missing today's indoctrination.

Hey Communist.....

* **** YOU *

This is a free country. If you want the government to control
everyone, move to a communist country. It sounds like you would fit
right in. Maybe Baghdad would suit your needs too....

Martin

"Sue Ann" wrote in message
....and I can't stand it. We have common hot water baseboard heat and I
have caulked around all water pipes. There's no insulation between the
ceiling of the condo below and my hardwood floors which are covered with
wall-to-wall carpeting.
Crazy idea: Taking up the carpet and putting a layer of Tyvek under the
padding? What do you think?
Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance.........

You could try a reversible window fan. Most of them come with some kind of
filter, which you would want if the air you're drawing in might be dusty.

Michael Daly wrote:
On 14-Jan-2004, "John" wrote:

I'm suprised to hear that condos aren't already isolated from each other!
That sounds like a serious fire hazard doesn't it? If cigarette smoke can
get through then so can smoke from a fire and, for that matter, the flames
themselves...

In fact, small holes in walls and floors do act as fire accelerators (they
are like the pinhole equivalent of a magnifying lens). They are illegal in
many fire codes. If the wall is considered a firestop, it must be sealed.
In a multi-storey building, all floors must be firestopped.

The OP may be able to get the condo corp to address this as a safety risk
if she can demonstrate that there are such holes.

Why is it condo builders can get away with such crap construction?

Mike

I can just imagine going to our condo board and complaining that my
condo is not airtight (no residence is). Folks who are that sensitive
to cigarette smoke have to run from their condos to their SUV's without
drawing a breath, because outdoor air just isn't that sweet, thanks to
your truck and SUV. We liberals can't afford them because we don't work
) SO2, CO, all kinds of good stuff that isn't produced by liberals.
Why is it all the people with such hunger for clean air don't rave about
SUV's, fireplaces, polluting industries???? Too busy stuffing quarter
pounders into their air holes? The pinko tree huggers, who like green
leaves more than asphault really have your welfare at heart, but .....
here I go again.

We have a friend who is a locksmith, hurting badly but will probably
stay in biz until he can retire. Hurting by the chain stores that have
taken his business. When Walmart and a few others succeed in a few
years in putting ALL of the small businesses out of business, and a
couple of wealthy oil producers buy them out, who are we going to be
working for?

Whilst all America sat listening to a bombastic drug addict rave about
Bill and Hill, their brains already rotting from listening to depraved
TV preachers and moralizing gamblers, their schools turning into vice
dens, their kids raised themselves. The gov't sniffed Bill's crotch
whilst Al Kaida sniffed theirs. Four passenger planes, off course for
almost half an hour and nobody noticed. We had more air controllers but
somebody fired them. We TALKED about a better system, but...there was
Bill's sex life to wonder about. Ronnie wanted star wars...lets get
with it! Lets buy star wars and watch the skies whilst Al Kaida stuffs
another 747 up our collective arse.

Larry Bud

"Bob" wrote in message news:TyyNb.73771$I06.326767@attbi_s01...
"Larry Bud" wrote in message
In living in attached housing part of the deal is that you have

to put
up with **** you might not like from your neighbors. If people

who
move into these situations don't understand that, they're

freakin'
morons.

Which includes smokers. They have a responsibility not to impose
their dangerous and unpleasant addiction on those around them.

Fine. I want you to stop driving your car because I am forced to
breath the toxins it produces. See how ridiculous this is now? In
fact, I have a better argument because you're driving your pollution
producer out on public property and not in your private home.
rb608

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
Fine. I want you to stop driving your car because I am forced to
breath the toxins it produces. See how ridiculous this is now?

AAMOF, it's not the least bit ridiculous. The government already *does*
recognize the dangers my car imposes on you and already *does* require
anti-pollution measures on me if I wish to use my vehicle. By making that
analogy, I assume you're prepared to accept the government's authority to
also impose restrictions on smokers?

Joe F.

Sue Ann

Good grief! Personally, I believe people have the right to smoke in
their own spaces. I just want to keep the smoke and smell out of mine.

While you have had fun all day with political jousting, I've been on the
phone calling around. I did find some new upscale carpet padding which
has a solid vinyl barrier top and bottom. That should help a little
bit.

There's really no economically feasible way to retrofit this 1958
building. It met construction codes of that era.

To those of you who mentioned positive air pressure -- you're absolutely
right. But what do you do on a frigid night like this one?

So, whether you love Rush or Hillary, keep up the good fight. Stay warm
tonight with someone you love.

And I always enjoy this group, no matter what.

Sue Ann

Sue Ann wrote:
Good grief! Personally, I believe people have the right to smoke in
their own spaces. I just want to keep the smoke and smell out of mine.

While you have had fun all day with political jousting, I've been on the
phone calling around. I did find some new upscale carpet padding which
has a solid vinyl barrier top and bottom. That should help a little
bit.

There's really no economically feasible way to retrofit this 1958
building. It met construction codes of that era.

Logic tells me that your flooring has nothing to do with the smell of
smoke - how could it? Smoke doesn't travel through finished ceilings.
Seems to me that the only way it can enter is gaps in doorways and ???
possibly under baseboards through wall spaces. Do doors have good seal,
all way around? Is there smoking in common spaces, like corridors? If
there is, it should be stopped by the condo board. Next would be under
the baseboards, a relatively easy and inexpensive step. Are there any
built in cabinets or cupboards that may not have a finished wall behind
them, such as bathroom medicine cabinets? The little slots for razor
blades may allow air leakage. Also, seal up insides of wall
receptacles. Any chance the smoke smell is in your unit, from previous
resident? Kids old enough to sneak a smoke??

In our apartment building, when I was a kid, there was a fire in the
basement, next to the furnace. Smoke poured into our second floor
apartment under baseboards and from built in china cabinet in dining room.

Bob

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
Which includes smokers. They have a responsibility not to

impose
their dangerous and unpleasant addiction on those around

them.

Fine. I want you to stop driving your car because I am forced

breath the toxins it produces.

If I am injecting those toxins into your home, I guess you have a
case. I'm sure, in that case, that the authorities would quickly
stop me.

Bob

George Eberhardt

"Sue Ann" wrote in message
Good grief! Personally, I believe people have the right to smoke in
their own spaces. I just want to keep the smoke and smell out of mine.

While you have had fun all day with political jousting, I've been on the
phone calling around. I did find some new upscale carpet padding which
has a solid vinyl barrier top and bottom. That should help a little
bit.

There's really no economically feasible way to retrofit this 1958
building. It met construction codes of that era.

To those of you who mentioned positive air pressure -- you're absolutely
right. But what do you do on a frigid night like this one?

You should be able to find a contractor to test where your condo is leaking
air, and seal up most of the leaks. That wold be a good start before you
pay for the new carpet.

--
George Eberhardt
(732)224-8988

rb608 wrote:
"Larry Bud" wrote in message

Fine. I want you to stop driving your car because I am forced to
breath the toxins it produces. See how ridiculous this is now?

AAMOF, it's not the least bit ridiculous. The government already *does*
recognize the dangers my car imposes on you and already *does* require
anti-pollution measures on me if I wish to use my vehicle. By making that
analogy, I assume you're prepared to accept the government's authority to
also impose restrictions on smokers?

Joe F.

It's already pretty restricted. Gov't hasn't marched into my home yet.
By the time the gov't gets some "faith based" social services under
their thumb, who knows?