jan

Default Smoke smell from A/C? Eyes burning.

We live in a one story home that has a central 4-ton hvac unit.
Recently I've noticed that after the A/C kicks on, I get a heavy dose
of a smoke smell. Badly enough to where my eyes(burning) and
mouth/throat are affected.
There are smokers in the house but no one actually smokes inside, only
outside
on the patio.
And last week we had company that were HEAVY smokers(stronger
ciggarettes too), all smoked on patio only.
I thought that their smoke might be traveling inside the attic from
the soffit vents around the perimeter of house and into the a/c system
from poss. vent leaks in attic.
So I closed up all the soffit vents along that side of the house and
created new ones on the opposite side of the house. STILL, the problem
occurs.
Thought maybe the smoke is coming in from openings in siding?
I even went upstairs into attic expecting to see it full of smoke, but
have yet to find any(using a hi-beam narrow light).
Is it possible for the smoke to have lined/coated the a/c's
ventilation system so that everytime it runs the smoke smell causes my
eyes to burn?
I also read in this ng that some folks have had a failing blower motor
cause smoke to go into the system. Could that cause these same
effects?
thanks for any suggestions!
Joseph Meehan

I fear so. It is time to have your system checked.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"jan" wrote in message
om...
[...]

mark Ransley

Troll ... You created new vents , You mean you got in the attic and
closed a bunch, and got out a SAW and CUT into your house a bunch of
new ones, yea,. right.

Speedy Jim

jan wrote:

We live in a one story home that has a central 4-ton hvac unit.
Recently I've noticed that after the A/C kicks on, I get a heavy dose
of a smoke smell. Badly enough to where my eyes(burning) and
mouth/throat are affected.

SNIP

Could well be a failing motor in the air handler in the attic.
It may not be getting hot enough (yet!) to produce visible smoke in
the airstream out of the registers.

If you're not experienced opening the air handler and working
on motors, etc., get a pro out real soon.

Jim
Stormin Mormonn

Oughta be able to tell the diff between cig smoke and electric motor smoke.

Sounds like you have a blower fan going out.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus

"jan" wrote in message
om...
[...]

jan

"Stormin Mormonn" wrote in message ...
Oughta be able to tell the diff between cig smoke and electric motor smoke.

Sounds like you have a blower fan going out.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus
www.lds.org
www.mormons.com

Great, thanks for all the helpful input guys. I'll check out the
blower motor.

As for the self-professed troll, mark ransley at
I suggest you grow up, little girl or have Mommy make you some nice
warm milk so you can go beddy-byes.

FYI: In order to add the new vents you access it from the outside of
the house.
Yes, I used a saw... and it's a cordless one too! Yes, they make them
Moron!! Really!
The old ones were sealed by removing the covers and placing foil tape
across the openings.
I'm amazed at how assanine people can be.

"jan" wrote in message
om...
[...]

mark Ransley

You said your guests were smoking " Stronger ciggaretts too" Of course
the illegal kind. So if youve been smelling it for a while when you
turn On the AC doesnt make sense youd be cutting holes in the attic
rather than looking at the AC. Maybe youve been smoking to many Strong
ciggaretts too.