Default cigarette smoke entering from condo below.....

Sue Ann wrote:
Good grief! Personally, I believe people have the right to smoke in
their own spaces. I just want to keep the smoke and smell out of mine.

While you have had fun all day with political jousting, I've been on the
phone calling around. I did find some new upscale carpet padding which
has a solid vinyl barrier top and bottom. That should help a little
bit.

There's really no economically feasible way to retrofit this 1958
building. It met construction codes of that era.

Logic tells me that your flooring has nothing to do with the smell of
smoke - how could it? Smoke doesn't travel through finished ceilings.
Seems to me that the only way it can enter is gaps in doorways and ???
possibly under baseboards through wall spaces. Do doors have good seal,
all way around? Is there smoking in common spaces, like corridors? If
there is, it should be stopped by the condo board. Next would be under
the baseboards, a relatively easy and inexpensive step. Are there any
built in cabinets or cupboards that may not have a finished wall behind
them, such as bathroom medicine cabinets? The little slots for razor
blades may allow air leakage. Also, seal up insides of wall
receptacles. Any chance the smoke smell is in your unit, from previous
resident? Kids old enough to sneak a smoke??

In our apartment building, when I was a kid, there was a fire in the
basement, next to the furnace. Smoke poured into our second floor
apartment under baseboards and from built in china cabinet in dining room.