Posted to alt.home.repair

Default eReader options

SWMBO is complaining that the library is turning more and more to
ebooks (do away with the brick&mortar facilities and let amazon
act as the "library" -- some sort of contract they've hammered out).

She's not keen on giving up look/feel of paper. But, figures there's
no other option for some of these titles (if library has it in *any*
form, they will not process a request to find a "paper copy" at some
OTHER library in the next town, etc.)

I've moved much of my technical library to electronic form (simply
can't afford to keep all that paper on shelves, here!) and do so with
a "tablet PC". It gives me a decent screen size (~12") so that I can
view typical 8.5x11 pages/sheets in full size (assuming there is a half
inch margin on the page -- which the display doesn't need to reproduce!).

Also gives me color, the ability to make annotations with the pen,
support for external media, non-proprietary file formats AND other
utilities -- things that aren't usually present in an eReader (which
tries to be smaller, lighter and run for long periods off battery).

I offered to build her an identical machine but she's not keen on
the size (she's used to reading paperbacks or hard-bound editions
which typically don't have/need the larger page size that the materials
I read require). And, the things she reads tend not to have illustrations,
charts, "color", etc.

So, anyone with a fair bit of first-hand experience willing to share
observations as to what they like/dislike about *their* eReader
(make/model)? ISTR at least one unit only allowed you to put
materials onto it via a wireless link -- to a *vendor*! I'm not
sure how that will work with the library's offerings. Nor how
you can later "backup" those acquisitions onto some other media
(lest your eReader *fail*).

[These are all issues that my "solution" avoided...]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2016 2:17 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

I've got the cheapest Kindle and even though the screen is only 7 inches
it is very readable because you put books in their format.

I'm sure their Kindle Fire is better as there is a touch screen and color.

Amazon will let you download the reader to any machine as they want to
sell books but there is plenty of free stuff from them or others, e.g.
the Gutenburg project - http://www.gutenberg.org/

Then there is free software where you can inter-convert formats for the
reader programs - http://calibre-ebook.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
[...]

I used to have Kobo but iPAD has an app for eReader.
I have a Kindle now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2016 1:02 PM, Frank wrote:
On 1/13/2016 2:17 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

Yes, for "novels" you can afford to reflow text somewhat arbitrarily -- no
illustrations that you have to shrink or "pan" to fit onto a smaller
display (or, one with lower resolution).

I'm sure their Kindle Fire is better as there is a touch screen and color.

I can't see the need for either -- if reading "novels". There's no/few
illustrations that could benefit from color (unlike my technical literature
which might use color to convey information). And, I can only see a
touch screen as a frill to allow for gestural "page turning".

Amazon will let you download the reader to any machine as they want to sell
books but there is plenty of free stuff from them or others, e.g. the Gutenburg
project - http://www.gutenberg.org/

But, can you freely move documents onto and off-of the reader? A friend
had me set up her nook some years back and the only way on/off the device
was via wireless and a connection to their "store".

Then there is free software where you can inter-convert formats for the reader
programs - http://calibre-ebook.com/

Yes, I already use that on my tablet PC as I have to address documents in
multiple formats (though I favor PDF for a variety of reasons).
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y writes:
On 1/13/2016 1:02 PM, Frank wrote:

But, can you freely move documents onto and off-of the reader? A friend
had me set up her nook some years back and the only way on/off the device
was via wireless and a connection to their "store".

That is not true for the Nook. I have two Nooks (epaper) and both
of them show up as a disk drive when plugged into a USB port and
you can copy epub's to and from them at will.

If you buy epubs from B&N via the wireless, you may or may not be
able to copy them off your nook (depends on firmware version and
amount of free built-in storage space).

B&N no longer lets a purchaser download the epub and sideload to the
nook, but you can buy from google play or baen or find them on
alt.books then sideload them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2016 2:17 PM, Don Y wrote:

[...]

Tablet PC is too big for a reader. My wife has a Kobo, Nook, Kindle.
While she likes them all, her favorite is the Kindle Fire with 8" screen.

You books are saved in a library and are available to be read on most
any device. The present book she is reading can be synced with her
phone in seconds and she can continue reading where she left off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:

[...]

I have a Kindle Paperwhite with their cover. I had a Kindle keyboard
earlier. I really like the Paperwhite with it's built in back light.
I also like the sync feature since there are times I read on my
Microsoft Surface and on my Android phone.

This is the one that I have:
http://smile.amazon.com/Kindle-Paperwhite-High-Resolution-Display-Built-/dp/B00OQVZDJM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1452725353&sr=8-3&keywords=kindle
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2016 2:58 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Tablet PC is too big for a reader.

That depends on what you are reading. I'd be hard-pressed to read some
of my technical documents on an 8" screen. I'd either be forced to
put on reading glasses to try to read all the "tiny print" in some
of the tables and illustrations; or, have to pan back and forth to read
individual items -- then figure out which row/column I happened to
have been in, at the time.

Being able to see an 8.5x11 sheet of paper *as* an 8.5x11 sheet of paper
is a huge win.

If you're only reading novels (no page formatting/layout information
preserved in the document), you can afford a smaller screen -- as long
as the imagery remains crisp at the scale you prefer reading.

When I played with my friend's nook, it seemed that I was constantly
"flipping pages" (I read very fast) while that's rarely the case with
the larger (more content) pages on my tablet PC (or, if reading
PDF's on a PC -- where I can see an entire page on the screen
without having to scroll down to the bottom of the first column, then
*up* to the top of the next, etc.)

My wife has a Kobo, Nook, Kindle. While she
likes them all, her favorite is the Kindle Fire with 8" screen.

You books are saved in a library and are available to be read on most any
device. The present book she is reading can be synced with her phone in
seconds and she can continue reading where she left off.

Is the "library" *off* the device? And *not* requiring a connection
to some cloud service? (We don't use cell phones) E.g., I can
slap a PC card, SD card, thumb drive, etc. into my tablet PC to gain
access to other parts of my document collection (if I don't want to
use the network connection -- wired or wireless). So, the tablet PC
doesn't need to have a huge disk to access the ~2TB of documents
that I maintain...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2016 3:52 PM, Jim Rusling wrote:
I have a Kindle Paperwhite with their cover.

"cover"? That's just to protect the device? (I see violet/blue/yellow
covers about halfway down that page)

I had a Kindle keyboard earlier.

What value was there to having alphanumeric entry on the device?
Is this mainly for searching for titles, passages, etc.?

I really like the Paperwhite with it's built in back light.

Yes, I think that's essential. I was laid up for a while and
found the tablet PC to be a very effective way for me to keep working
without having to sit up, etc. As bedrooms aren't known for having
good reading/work light, the tablet made up for it. The pen
also made it easy for me to make notations without having to
arrange for a writing surface *in* the bed. The handwriting
recognition was surprisingly good (cut down on the need for the
on-screen keyboard).

I also like the sync feature since there are times I read on my
Microsoft Surface and on my Android phone.

She won't be using anything else to read -- no phones and she
despises doing anything "recreational" sitting at a computer.

This is the one that I have:
http://smile.amazon.com/Kindle-Paperwhite-High-Resolution-Display-Built-/dp/B00OQVZDJM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1452725353&sr=8-3&keywords=kindle

The page size seems about the same as that of a paperback
("pocketbook"). If you adjust the font size to what you would
encounter on a paperback print page, how readable is it?
I.e., do you have to enlarge the text (font) to gain readability
(resulting in less text on the "page")?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2016 2:17 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

I download to my desktop and transfer them to the Kindle. Don't like
using Kindle or tablet to download as browsing is a PITA.

Don't know anything about the Nook but see that their format is .epub vs
..mobi for Kindle. My Kindle will read .mobi and .pdf but may do .epub
too. Calibre can inter-convert them. Most .pdf's are big for the
Kindle but I have a couple in the form of hunting maps on them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2016 2:17 PM, Don Y wrote:

SWMBO is complaining that the library is turning more and more to
ebooks (do away with the brick&mortar facilities and let amazon
act as the "library" -- some sort of contract they've hammered out).

big snip

First things first. . .

https://www.overdrive.com/
The OverDrive app is one of the top-rated eBook apps available for iOS,
Android, Chromebook, Mac OS, Windows, and Windows Phone.

I suggest you go to YOUR library's site and see what they have to say
about HOW you can read the type(s) of ebooks they offer.

Susan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/16 6:37 PM, Frank wrote:

Don't know anything about the Nook but see that their format is .epub vs
.mobi for Kindle. My Kindle will read .mobi and .pdf but may do .epub
too. Calibre can inter-convert them. Most .pdf's are big for the
Kindle but I have a couple in the form of hunting maps on them.

I'd go with Kindle papewrite for general or recreational reading. I
spend a lot of time outside and you can read it perfectly even in
brightest sunlight. I haven't tried it for technical or other intensive
uses.
The main problem I have with the Nook is that Barnes and Noble owns
but doesn't quite know what they want to do with it. Just over the last
couple of years, they have said they love it, said they wanted to spin
it off into a separate company, said they didn't want to spin it off. I
am not sure I want to spend all that money on something even the owner
isn't sure it wants to deal with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2016 2:02 PM, Frank wrote:
On 1/13/2016 2:17 PM, Don Y wrote:
SWMBO is complaining that the library is turning more and more to
ebooks (do away with the brick&mortar facilities and let amazon
act as the "library" -- some sort of contract they've hammered out).

[snip]

[These are all issues that my "solution" avoided...]

I've got the cheapest Kindle and even though the screen is only 7 inches
it is very readable because you put books in their format.

I'm sure their Kindle Fire is better as there is a touch screen and color.

Amazon will let you download the reader to any machine as they want to
sell books but there is plenty of free stuff from them or others, e.g.
the Gutenburg project - http://www.gutenberg.org/

Then there is free software where you can inter-convert formats for the
reader programs - http://calibre-ebook.com/

+1 on Calibre, Don. It's a FANTASTIC program. Also, if you have access
to the usenet (doh!) there are a number of binary groups there that post
books in the epub and mobi format. Regardless of what reader SWMBO
winds up with, Calibre will catalog them, convert them to the needed
format and load them to your device.

She's like paper books? Help her with the transition and recommend that
no matter what reader she buys, that she buys a "cover" for it. I went
with Barnes and Noble's Nook reader and was quite happy with it. Then I
bought an iPad 3 and have abandoned the Nooks in favor of the iPad.
Love it and works fine for me. With the cover you can hold the Nook or
iPad as if you were holding a book. Makes getting used to the eReader
very simple.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2016 5:56 PM, Susan Bugher wrote:
First things first. . .

https://www.overdrive.com/
The OverDrive app is one of the top-rated eBook apps available for iOS,
Android, Chromebook, Mac OS, Windows, and Windows Phone.

I suggest you go to YOUR library's site and see what they have to say about HOW
you can read the type(s) of ebooks they offer.

Virtually all devices are supported -- along with PC/Mac "computers".
As she is NOT interested in reading on a computer (otherwise, any of the
desktops, laptops, tablets or other "appliances" that we have would be
acceptable options), this means getting a *device* that she can use to
fill the role that a print *book* would have filled.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/13/2016 12:17 PM, Don Y wrote:
So, anyone with a fair bit of first-hand experience willing to share
observations as to what they like/dislike about *their* eReader
(make/model)? ISTR at least one unit only allowed you to put
materials onto it via a wireless link -- to a *vendor*! I'm not
sure how that will work with the library's offerings. Nor how
you can later "backup" those acquisitions onto some other media
(lest your eReader *fail*).

I've got an older Kindle Keyboard:

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Keyboar.../dp/B004HZYA6E

which is equivalent to the current Paperwhite

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AWH595M

I've been very happy with it. You can either buy from Amazon or sideload
via the USB port. Many of the Amazon books are free or very inexpensive
if you're not into the NYT best sellers.

Calibre can convert from a number of formats to the mobi format.
Instructions for sideloading are here;

http://www.ebookpartnership.com/help...i-file-kindle/

The way our library works is the eBooks are actually received from Amazon.

Some models are 3G. The 'special offers' are very non-intrusive.
Basically you get a varying selection of ads when the device is turned
off, not some popup every time you turn the page.

The Kindle app is available for tablets and PCs also as well as the
hardware Kindles. If you're connected (3G or WiFi) your material is
synched; read to page 103 on the Kindle at home, and when you go to that
book on a PC at work, you'll be on 103.

Battery life is excellent as long as the WiFi is turned off. A charge
lasts several weeks instead of several hours with a tablet. While I
still like paper, the Kindle experience is almost as good and if you're
traveling it beats a heavy bag full of books.

One nice feature is the dictionary. It comes with an english dictionary
but I purchased a German to English dictionary. Put the cursor over an
unfamiliar word and it pops up a definition most of the time. German
being German, some of the compound words or verb forms don't work smoothly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-01-13 7:52 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 1/13/2016 5:56 PM, Susan Bugher wrote:
First things first. . .

https://www.overdrive.com/
The OverDrive app is one of the top-rated eBook apps available for iOS,
Android, Chromebook, Mac OS, Windows, and Windows Phone.

I suggest you go to YOUR library's site and see what they have to say
about HOW
you can read the type(s) of ebooks they offer.

Virtually all devices are supported -- along with PC/Mac "computers".
As she is NOT interested in reading on a computer (otherwise, any of the
desktops, laptops, tablets or other "appliances" that we have would be
acceptable options), this means getting a *device* that she can use to
fill the role that a print *book* would have filled.

Kobo Aura H2O, waterproof, dustproof 6.8" backlit screen. I have read
18,000 pages last quarter alone. Coming up to it's first anniversay of
when I purchased it it and love it.

This is my answer to replacing my paperback library since I have read
them all to tatters

(Buy the case for it as well).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/13/2016 01:29 PM, Don Y wrote:
I can't see the need for either -- if reading "novels". There's no/few
illustrations that could benefit from color (unlike my technical literature
which might use color to convey information). And, I can only see a
touch screen as a frill to allow for gestural "page turning".

You can subscribe to magazines and the color might make it more
enjoyable. I only get a few magazines and prefer the dead tree format
anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/13/2016 04:11 PM, Don Y wrote:
Is the "library" *off* the device? And *not* requiring a connection
to some cloud service? (

Yes, the files are stored locally. I only enable the wireless connection
when I'm getting a new book from Amazon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/13/2016 04:29 PM, Don Y wrote:
What value was there to having alphanumeric entry on the device?
Is this mainly for searching for titles, passages, etc.?

Yes, but I seldom use it. You can make notes also but I seldom do that
ever with paper books. The Paperwhite has a virtual keyboard. One thing
the PW doesn't have afaik is the text to speech or audio books but I
never used that feature anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2016 10:19 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 01/13/2016 04:11 PM, Don Y wrote:
Is the "library" *off* the device? And *not* requiring a connection
to some cloud service? (

Yes, the files are stored locally. I only enable the wireless connection
when I'm getting a new book from Amazon.

Actually both. If you run out of room you can leave books on the
Amazon (or B&N) server and get it again later.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2016 2:17 PM, Don Y wrote:
SWMBO is complaining that the library is turning more and more to
ebooks (do away with the brick&mortar facilities and let amazon
act as the "library" -- some sort of contract they've hammered out).

[snip]

[These are all issues that my "solution" avoided...]

I've got the cheapest Kindle and even though the screen is only 7 inches
it is very readable because you put books in their format.

I'm sure their Kindle Fire is better as there is a touch screen and color.

Amazon will let you download the reader to any machine as they want to
sell books but there is plenty of free stuff from them or others, e.g.
the Gutenburg project - http://www.gutenberg.org/

Then there is free software where you can inter-convert formats for the
reader programs - http://calibre-ebook.com/

+1 on Calibre, Don. It's a FANTASTIC program.

Yes, as I mentioned in my reply to Frank (alongside this reply of yours),
I already use it on my tablet PC. My technical library is a hodge-podge
of different formats (cuz folks can't seem to PICK ONE! : ). I have
PDF, MOBI, EPUB, PS, DJVU, CHM, CBR, INFO, man(1) pages, etc. I've been
slowly trudging through it and converting everything to PDF -- so I can
just use a PDF reader to access all of that content.

Also, if you have access to the
usenet (doh!) there are a number of binary groups there that post books in the
epub and mobi format.

I don't think she is interested in accumulating ebooks. Rather, just
wants to be able to *access* them -- without being chained to a PC.
We've been steadily working on ridding ourselves of paper (books,
magazines, bank statements, financial records, canceled checks, etc.)
though she still has a rather large collection of "art" books
(probably 40 linear feet) and I still have (a similar amount) of
technical references that simply aren't available in other forms.

[OTOH, I managed to get rid of nearly 80 "xerox boxes" of paperbacks
over the years!]

Regardless of what reader SWMBO winds up with, Calibre
will catalog them, convert them to the needed format and load them to your device.

All she wants is to be able to grab a book from the library and *read* it.
With the *paper* books, this was easy: wait for book to arrive, check
it out, read it, return it -- done! No technology involved beyond
her library card.

But, it's clear the library is looking to shed staff and facilities
and moving to a virtual library is one big step in that direction
(I think we have ~20 branch libraries *in* town -- lots of staff
and facilities to maintain)

She's like paper books? Help her with the transition and recommend that no
matter what reader she buys, that she buys a "cover" for it. I went with
Barnes and Noble's Nook reader and was quite happy with it. Then I bought an
iPad 3 and have abandoned the Nooks in favor of the iPad. Love it and works

So, on the iPad, you have to invoke an *app* to get at the books?

fine for me. With the cover you can hold the Nook or iPad as if you were
holding a book. Makes getting used to the eReader very simple.

I don't understand why the "cover" makes a difference? E.g., with my tablet
PC, I just set it on my lap, counter/desk or against my propped up legs
(if reading in bed). Holding it in my arms would be tiring as it is
rather large...

I can't see how putting it *in* something would make it any better (?)

[Though I have a screen protector film on the display to keep the
pen from scratching the plastic]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2016 8:16 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 01/13/2016 01:29 PM, Don Y wrote:
I can't see the need for either -- if reading "novels". There's no/few
illustrations that could benefit from color (unlike my technical literature
which might use color to convey information). And, I can only see a
touch screen as a frill to allow for gestural "page turning".

You can subscribe to magazines and the color might make it more enjoyable.

Ah, OK. We don't have any magazine subscriptions. She just recently
commented on yet another attempt to get her to RE-subscribe to a magazine
she had years ago: "I saved the old issues and all they do is
recycle the same articles..."

I only get a few magazines and prefer the dead tree format anyway.

Ditto. I find that if I have to spend any time with a document,
I will print a copy -- then "recycle" the paper when I'm done with it.
Some of the datasheets for the components that I use might be 1000+ pp
so this leaves me cringing (even with a duplex printer, that's a whole
ream of paper!). But, there's something special about being able to
flip back and forth between relevant sections just by sticking a
finger "in" the document at the right spot(s).

[E.g., it may describe the device pinout in one chapter and details
of a specific *set* of pins in another; and details of yet another
set of pins in a third!]

OTOH, keeping paper originals of things eats up shelf space at an
incredible rate (a few feet per project)! So, digital forms for
"long term storage" seem to be best.

[E.g., I think my MULTICS manuals are about 2 feet of shelf space]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2016 9:33 PM, Don Y wrote:

So, on the iPad, you have to invoke an *app* to get at the books?

Nope. I use Calibre to email an epub to a mail account accessed
exclusively on my iPad. I click on the attachment and select "Open in
iBook" (a native application on iOS) OR, if I am home and access the
home network, I just point Safari to the Calibre server and I can
search, browse, etc. all my books. Click on the one I want and tell
Safari to open it in iBooks.

Once you accept it either in email or Safari a copy is stored on the
iPad until such time as you delete it in iBooks.

fine for me. With the cover you can hold the Nook or iPad as if you were
holding a book. Makes getting used to the eReader very simple.

I don't understand why the "cover" makes a difference? E.g., with my
tablet
PC, I just set it on my lap, counter/desk or against my propped up legs
(if reading in bed). Holding it in my arms would be tiring as it is
rather large...

I can't see how putting it *in* something would make it any better (?)

Depends on the size of the tablet or reader I suppose. That tip was
given to me by a friend who suggested that having a cover to hold it
like a traditional book is a more natural transition to an ereader from
a paper book. It worked well for me, but, as always, YMMV

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2016 9:52 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 1/13/2016 5:56 PM, Susan Bugher wrote:

First things first. . .

https://www.overdrive.com/
The OverDrive app is one of the top-rated eBook apps available for iOS,
Android, Chromebook, Mac OS, Windows, and Windows Phone.

I suggest you go to YOUR library's site and see what they have to say
about HOW
you can read the type(s) of ebooks they offer.

Virtually all devices are supported -- along with PC/Mac "computers".
As she is NOT interested in reading on a computer (otherwise, any of the
desktops, laptops, tablets or other "appliances" that we have would be
acceptable options), this means getting a *device* that she can use to
fill the role that a print *book* would have filled.

I'm a fan of ebooks (read about one day) but I seldom borrow ebooks from
my local library because the books I'd like to read are seldom available
- they don't offer them or there are 90 people "on reserve" ahead of me
(YMMV). IMO your wife should try borrowing some books on a device your
already own before you spend money on a new device.

I did a bit more reading about supported devices for OverDrive. I have
two Nooks and it appears neither of them will work with the OverDrive app ..

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/overdrive-overdrive-inc/1120365790;jsessionid=F27AE30EF7C891A2EEB916A04846 8DEE.prodny_store01-atgap10?ean=2940043354334#nok-dapps

"Borrow eBooks, audiobooks, and streaming video from your library using
OverDrive on your NOOK."

quote requirements
NOOK Device

Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 NOOK 7.0
NOOK by Samsung [Tab 4 10.1, S2 & E]
NOOK HD Tablet
NOOK HD+ Tablet
/quote

Current Nook offerings at B&N:
http://nook.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook/379003208.
"NOOK GlowLight Plus™" is NOT on the list. of Overdrive supported apps.

Susan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2016 9:33 PM, Don Y wrote:

So, on the iPad, you have to invoke an *app* to get at the books?

Nope. I use Calibre to email an epub to a mail account accessed exclusively on
my iPad. I click on the attachment and select "Open in iBook" (a native
application on iOS)

This seems like a roundabout way of doing it (?)

Why aren't you just "copying" it to the iPad? Why go through the email
step? Is there no other way to move files onto the iPad? (dunno, never
used one)

OR, if I am home and access the home network, I just point
Safari to the Calibre server and I can search, browse, etc. all my books.
Click on the one I want and tell Safari to open it in iBooks.

I only use Calibre for (one-time) conversions. My library is mirrored
(currently on two drives, but that can change) as are most of my
"precious" files. But, I have a "distributed" RAID array, of sorts,
(too "involved" to discuss here) and just copy the file(s) of interest
onto whatever device needs them (e.g., the tablet PC if I am just
trying to read something)

Once you accept it either in email or Safari a copy is stored on the iPad until
such time as you delete it in iBooks.

So, what happens when you run out of disk? Can/do you move that copy off to a
backup archive?

fine for me. With the cover you can hold the Nook or iPad as if you were
holding a book. Makes getting used to the eReader very simple.

I don't understand why the "cover" makes a difference? E.g., with my
tablet
PC, I just set it on my lap, counter/desk or against my propped up legs
(if reading in bed). Holding it in my arms would be tiring as it is
rather large...

I can't see how putting it *in* something would make it any better (?)

Depends on the size of the tablet or reader I suppose. That tip was given to
me by a friend who suggested that having a cover to hold it like a traditional
book is a more natural transition to an ereader from a paper book. It worked
well for me, but, as always, YMMV

How is it "inadequate" without the cover? Too small? Too slippery?

I.e., does your iPad have/need a cover for similar reasons?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2016 10:07 PM, Susan Bugher wrote:
On 1/13/2016 9:52 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 1/13/2016 5:56 PM, Susan Bugher wrote:

First things first. . .

https://www.overdrive.com/
The OverDrive app is one of the top-rated eBook apps available for iOS,
Android, Chromebook, Mac OS, Windows, and Windows Phone.

I suggest you go to YOUR library's site and see what they have to say
about HOW
you can read the type(s) of ebooks they offer.

Virtually all devices are supported -- along with PC/Mac "computers".
As she is NOT interested in reading on a computer (otherwise, any of the
desktops, laptops, tablets or other "appliances" that we have would be
acceptable options), this means getting a *device* that she can use to
fill the role that a print *book* would have filled.

I'm a fan of ebooks (read about one day)

Wow! I read about one (real) book a week (500pp) -- leisure, not counting
technical literature -- and thought that was pretty aggressive! I figured
an hour a day for leisure was a huge set-aside!

but I seldom borrow ebooks from my
local library because the books I'd like to read are seldom available - they
don't offer them or there are 90 people "on reserve" ahead of me (YMMV). IMO

Reserves, here, are non-renewable. So, you take out a title that has
ANYONE waiting on it and you have to return it in 3 weeks. They tend
to order ~50 copies at a time so even 100 folks waiting for their
arrival means you've got 6 weeks to wait.

We've learned to keep lots of titles (books, DVDs, CDs, etc) on reserve
so there's always *something* ready to consume. SWMBO is a slow reader
(and allocates very little time to it) so a typical "best seller" will
take most of that 3 week period to consume.

your wife should try borrowing some books on a device your already own before
you spend money on a new device.

We don't own any small/portable devices. No smart phones. No tablets.
Just PC's, tablet PC's and other appliances that simply would not be
suited to "reading a book" :-/

Hence the reason for asking about folks' experiences with these devices.

I did a bit more reading about supported devices for OverDrive. I have two
Nooks and it appears neither of them will work with the OverDrive app ..

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/overdrive-overdrive-inc/1120365790;jsessionid=F27AE30EF7C891A2EEB916A04846 8DEE.prodny_store01-atgap10?ean=2940043354334#nok-dapps

"Borrow eBooks, audiobooks, and streaming video from your library using
OverDrive on your NOOK."

quote requirements
NOOK Device

Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 NOOK 7.0
NOOK by Samsung [Tab 4 10.1, S2 & E]
NOOK HD Tablet
NOOK HD+ Tablet
/quote

Current Nook offerings at B&N:
http://nook.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook/379003208.
"NOOK GlowLight Plus™" is NOT on the list. of Overdrive supported apps.

I think that's what my friend had. ePaper display. Very small. Wireless
network connection (and little else). I'm pretty sure SWMBO would
NOT like that reading experience.

I may just put something on one of the tablet PC's for her and let her
*try* to read/use it...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2016 8:26 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 01/13/2016 04:29 PM, Don Y wrote:
What value was there to having alphanumeric entry on the device?
Is this mainly for searching for titles, passages, etc.?

Yes, but I seldom use it.

How do you find a specific title? Or, are there only a small number of
titles on the device at any given time (e.g., dozens instead of thousands)?

You can make notes also but I seldom do that ever
with paper books. The Paperwhite has a virtual keyboard.

I can't see SWMBO using that sort of feature. She's reading for
entertainment, not "research". The books that she "studies" are
all dead tree implementations so she can put post-it notes in
the pages, etc.

I use PDF's for my archive because I can put lots of stuff in
that container alongside the "document": illustrations, sounds,
animations, source/object code, etc.

And, I can augment documents -- include notes about errors I've found
or clarifications of the existing material, etc. (having a pen interface
lets me include sketches in those notes!)

One thing the PW
doesn't have afaik is the text to speech or audio books but I never used that
feature anyway.

Yeah, I don't deal well with audio books. I don't "digest" material as
well when it is read to me. And, I think random access is more tedious;
if I want to skip back a paragraph (or whatever) to doublecheck how
something mentioned there fits with something I'm reading *here*, it's
easier to just glance up and hunt for the information visually.

I think the same sort of thing applies to dead tree documents; you have
a visual memory of where it was on the page, verso/recto, etc. and can
flip through hunting for it based on those remembered criteria.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2016 8:19 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 01/13/2016 04:11 PM, Don Y wrote:
Is the "library" *off* the device? And *not* requiring a connection
to some cloud service? (

Yes, the files are stored locally. I only enable the wireless connection when
I'm getting a new book from Amazon.

So, what happens when the device is "full"?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 13, 2016 at 5:29:11 PM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:
[...]

I remember the days I took a novel or newspaper to the bathroom when I had to drop a load of Ready Mix. Now I take a tablet so I can read Email, listen to streaming radio stations or watch YouTube videos. A tablet is so much more versatile than paper. ^__^

[8~{} Uncle Concrete Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2016 7:59 PM, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
On 1/13/16 6:37 PM, Frank wrote:

[...]

My Kindle is in my fanny pack and I read it when in a deer stand. Takes
up half the space of a paperback and is readable in bright light and
even at sunset.

At home, I prefer books in book form.

I know you can sign up with the county library and download books for
the Kindle over the internet but they treat it like you borrowed a
library book and it has to be renewed every two weeks. Not worth the
bother for me as I don't set a time limit on reading a book.

Friend used to go to library for books on tape which could be put on an
MP3 player. Think this could also be done on a tablet or Kindle Fire.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2016 8:14 PM, rbowman wrote:
I've got an older Kindle Keyboard:
which is equivalent to the current Paperwhite

I've been very happy with it. You can either buy from Amazon or sideload via
the USB port. Many of the Amazon books are free or very inexpensive if you're
not into the NYT best sellers.

I'm not sure if the titles she reads are strictly on the NYT best seller list
but they are most definitely "new issues". We can't, for example, get a
title issued in the past 12 months through interlibrary loan (if our library
doesn't have the title). So, you're pretty much stuck waiting for them
to buy some copies -- and *hoping* they do!

Calibre can convert from a number of formats to the mobi format. Instructions
for sideloading are here;

The way our library works is the eBooks are actually received from Amazon.

Yes, I think at least some of the "etitles", here, come direct from Amazon.
Some sort of hybrid personal+library account; so it's not *just* the
library that is acquiring it.

Some models are 3G. The 'special offers' are very non-intrusive. Basically you
get a varying selection of ads when the device is turned off, not some popup
every time you turn the page.

(sigh)

"This toilet paper brought to you by..."

The Kindle app is available for tablets and PCs also as well as the hardware
Kindles. If you're connected (3G or WiFi) your material is synched; read to
page 103 on the Kindle at home, and when you go to that book on a PC at work,
you'll be on 103.

Then, the document and state are stored in the cloud?

She typically just reads at home. I.e., if the library would *loan*
a device preloaded with the book she wants she'd be happy. (well,
more happy than if she had to find a device to start with; less happy
than if they just gave her a *book*!)

Battery life is excellent as long as the WiFi is turned off. A charge lasts
several weeks instead of several hours with a tablet.

Different experience, of course. You're not really "interacting" with
an ebook.

While I still like paper,
the Kindle experience is almost as good and if you're traveling it beats a
heavy bag full of books.

When I (used to!) travel, I would buy/take a single novel (~500pp) for
the trip. The ~2+ hour wait in the outgoing airport plus the ~2+ hour wait
in the returning airport would be just enough time to finish it. A pad and
paper for the actual plane ride(s) -- reading on a plane is too sedate
for my preference.

One nice feature is the dictionary. It comes with an english dictionary but I
purchased a German to English dictionary. Put the cursor over an unfamiliar
word and it pops up a definition most of the time. German being German, some of
the compound words or verb forms don't work smoothly.

Holdsemfromfloppen?

Hmmm... a *regular* dictionary may be helpful for her. When she opts
to read things that get a bit technical, I get lots of, "Don, what does..."
queries.

(sigh) I'll have to put something in her hands and see how she likes
it. Despite having moved my leisure and technical libraries onto
"media", I still gravitate towards titles that I can "hold" in my
hands -- esp leisure reading.

[We have a fair number of used book stores, here. And, the public library
has frequent sales of discarded/donated titles. So, I can often find something
there for $1/title. Or, $5/bag! Then, donate it *back* when done.]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2016 11:55 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 1/13/2016 9:33 PM, Don Y wrote:

So, on the iPad, you have to invoke an *app* to get at the books?

Nope. I use Calibre to email an epub to a mail account accessed
exclusively on
my iPad. I click on the attachment and select "Open in iBook" (a native
application on iOS)

This seems like a roundabout way of doing it (?)

Why aren't you just "copying" it to the iPad? Why go through the email
step? Is there no other way to move files onto the iPad? (dunno, never
used one)

I'm relatively new to the iPad - only Apple device I own. My Calibre
program resides on a desktop and the "library files (my collection of
ebooks (~ 6,000 volumes) reside on a NAS (RAID) For me this was/is the
most straight forward way to do it. YMMV. Just saying that for me, the
native iBooks application works fine and I personally found it
preferable to the Nook or any of the various ereader apps I tried on my
Toshiba Thrive tablet. Again, as all this is subjective opinion, YMMV

OR, if I am home and access the home network, I just point
Safari to the Calibre server and I can search, browse, etc. all my books.
Click on the one I want and tell Safari to open it in iBooks.

I only use Calibre for (one-time) conversions. My library is mirrored
(currently on two drives, but that can change) as are most of my
"precious" files. But, I have a "distributed" RAID array, of sorts,
(too "involved" to discuss here) and just copy the file(s) of interest
onto whatever device needs them (e.g., the tablet PC if I am just
trying to read something)

That's my situation as well. Books on the iPad are there only until I
finish reading them. Then I delete them. I don't worry about backups
on the iPad as I have have them all stored (and managed by Calibre) on
the NAS at home.

Once you accept it either in email or Safari a copy is stored on the
iPad until
such time as you delete it in iBooks.

So, what happens when you run out of disk? Can/do you move that copy
off to a backup archive?

My iPad is one of those fairly rare 128GB models so that's not an issue
for me, but regardless I only "store" current content there or what's
"stockpiled" for my current reading desires. At most there may be
twenty books on the iPad at any one time (10 - 15 MB).

[...]

It's strictly, I suppose, a matter of personal preference. I have a
cover for all my devices and like them. They all function pretty much
the same.

1. Protects the screen when not in use

2. Allows me to hold the device in two hands as if I was reading a book
in the conventional fashion (as opposed to reading a book with the pages
on the left and the cover folded back upon itself (hard to describe but
take a magazine and fold/hold it so only a single page is viewable at
one time and maybe you'll see what I mean)

3. If I want to read it like a magazine folded over, I can as the cover
will fold back on itself exposing only the screen of the iPad allowing
me to hold it single handed.

4. The case I have also swivels on the back so I can use it to form an
easel and set the iPad in a reading position on my desk or table.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2016 2:17 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

I would avoid trying to download a free copy of somebody's swiped copy
of a book normally for sale. Too much potential for a malicious virus.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Greetings!

So, on the iPad, you have to invoke an *app* to get at the books?

Nope. I use Calibre to email an epub to a mail account accessed
exclusively on
my iPad. I click on the attachment and select "Open in iBook" (a native
application on iOS)

This seems like a roundabout way of doing it (?)

Why aren't you just "copying" it to the iPad? Why go through the email
step? Is there no other way to move files onto the iPad? (dunno, never
used one)

I'm relatively new to the iPad - only Apple device I own.

OK.

My Calibre program
resides on a desktop and the "library files (my collection of ebooks (~ 6,000
volumes) reside on a NAS (RAID) For me this was/is the most straight forward
way to do it. YMMV.

OK. But why "emailing" the document? Isn't that just a roundabout
way of *copying* it? I.e., you are sending it (via a desktop app?)
to a mail server and then *retrieving* it (via an iPad app) just
to get it *onto* the iPad (in an "inbox"). Then, saving that "attachment"
elsewhere (on the iPad). Can't you just "copy" it, directly?

Just saying that for me, the native iBooks application
works fine and I personally found it preferable to the Nook or any of the
various ereader apps I tried on my Toshiba Thrive tablet. Again, as all this
is subjective opinion, YMMV

Understood.

OR, if I am home and access the home network, I just point
Safari to the Calibre server and I can search, browse, etc. all my books.
Click on the one I want and tell Safari to open it in iBooks.

I only use Calibre for (one-time) conversions. My library is mirrored
(currently on two drives, but that can change) as are most of my
"precious" files. But, I have a "distributed" RAID array, of sorts,
(too "involved" to discuss here) and just copy the file(s) of interest
onto whatever device needs them (e.g., the tablet PC if I am just
trying to read something)

That's my situation as well. Books on the iPad are there only until I finish
reading them. Then I delete them. I don't worry about backups on the iPad as
I have have them all stored (and managed by Calibre) on the NAS at home.

OK. So, the "backup" exists implicitly. The iPad copy is "disposable".

Once you accept it either in email or Safari a copy is stored on the
iPad until
such time as you delete it in iBooks.

So, what happens when you run out of disk? Can/do you move that copy
off to a backup archive?

My iPad is one of those fairly rare 128GB models so that's not an issue for me,
but regardless I only "store" current content there or what's "stockpiled" for
my current reading desires. At most there may be twenty books on the iPad at
any one time (10 - 15 MB).

OK. The step I was missing was that you are emailing from your
"backup/archive". It's not like the email was the FIRST time you'd
touched the document (i.e., it had already been moved to your archive
before you ever really *looked* at it)

[...]

Understood. I keep a film on my tablet PCs screens but that just protects
against the abuse/scratches from the pen. If someone were to set something
on it (or drop it!), I'd be SoL.

2. Allows me to hold the device in two hands as if I was reading a book in the
conventional fashion (as opposed to reading a book with the pages on the left
and the cover folded back upon itself (hard to describe but take a magazine and
fold/hold it so only a single page is viewable at one time and maybe you'll see
what I mean)

Ahhhh! OK. The cover is there not so much as a skin but for it's
"hinge". Even though you don't have a display on the left side
for the verso pages, you have the mechanical *structure* of having
those pages "in your left hand".

The documents that I read on my tablet PC tend to be large sheets of paper;
the sort you would more easily read "from a stack" (of one sided sheets)
instead of flipping through double sided sheets "stapled together"
(think about how you'd PREFER to read a 15 page "report")

3. If I want to read it like a magazine folded over, I can as the cover will
fold back on itself exposing only the screen of the iPad allowing me to hold it
single handed.

Understood. This is how I envisioned the cover working. It hadn't occurred
to me that it could turn the device into an "open book" form (even though
that book only has rector pages!)

4. The case I have also swivels on the back so I can use it to form an easel
and set the iPad in a reading position on my desk or table.

OK. Now I see the "closer manifestation of a paper book". Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/14/2016 6:59 AM, Frank wrote:

I would avoid trying to download a free copy of somebody's swiped copy of a
book normally for sale. Too much potential for a malicious virus.

Books shouldn't (implicitly) contain executables. So, the only potential
for an "infection" would be a buggy reader implementation. In much
the same way that *photos* don't (implicitly) contain code and any
exploits are the result of poor "viewer" implementations.

Contrast this with PDF's -- which *do* contain "code" (albeit postscript
and/or adobe script).

The "swiped copy" issue should be one of morality/legality. Would you
want someone stealing *your* work?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/13/2016 08:33 PM, Don Y wrote:

I can't see how putting it *in* something would make it any better (?)

I tend to throw mine in a boat bag, etc, and the cover improves the
survivability, sort of like the neoprene sleeve on the tablet. The one I
have can also be used to stand the Kindle up like an easel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2016 8:14 PM, Idlehands wrote:
On 2016-01-13 7:52 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

How do ebook pages compare to print pages? E.g., can you provide a count
for some (popular) title that I could contrast with a print version?
And, does page count vary based on (chosen) font size?

For example, a recent read (for me) was _Snow Crash_ -- just under 500pp
in an ~8x10" format.

This is my answer to replacing my paperback library since I have read them all
to tatters

I've kept about 4 xerox boxes of paperbacks -- those that I reread the
most often or that have some other sentimental attachment. Or, that
are hard to find in other forms or lose much of their appeal in non-paper
forms (e.g., _Letters from the Earth_ --
http://www.sacred-texts.com/aor/twain/letearth.htm). Or, have quirky little
illustrations that complement the
"read".

A E van Vogt is my favorite science fiction author (I suspect I have every
title that he's written -- even reissues under different titles!). When
I encounter one of his titles at a used bookstore (increasingly rare),
I simply buy it, reread it and donate it (if I've already got a better
copy in storage). This allows me to reread without having to "wear"
titles out.

(Having said that, some titles simply don't hold up to use; e.g., _The
Yum Yum Book_ was printed on very "stiff" paper so the pages *break* off!)

(Buy the case for it as well).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/14/2016 06:22 AM, Don Y wrote:
I'm not sure if the titles she reads are strictly on the NYT best seller
list
but they are most definitely "new issues". We can't, for example, get a
title issued in the past 12 months through interlibrary loan (if our
library
doesn't have the title). So, you're pretty much stuck waiting for them
to buy some copies -- and *hoping* they do!

I know the feeling... This library buys quite a few new books but they,
properly I suppose, cater to the taste of the clientele. Several times
I've went looking for more classic titles that I know they had only to
find they were sold off to make room for more vampires.

New titles are cheaper in ebooks than paper. Amazon did a good job of
price busting; the publishers were not happy.

What I particularly enjoy is the number of obscure books that are
available in electronic format.

Some models are 3G. The 'special offers' are very non-intrusive.
Basically you
get a varying selection of ads when the device is turned off, not some
popup
every time you turn the page.

(sigh)

"This toilet paper brought to you by..."

The ads are mostly for book titles. iirc the 'special offers' model was
$30 or so cheaper and I'm not bothered by something that goes away when
I turn the device on. epaper is like an etch-a-sketch -- the display
doesn't go off with the power.

Then, the document and state are stored in the cloud?

Yes. If you delete a book from the device it still remains 'archived' in
the cloud and can be retrieved. I should do some deleting. One weakness
I've found with the model I have is the lack of an effective way to
organize the titles. Basically, the last accessed is first on the list.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Susan Bugher wrote:
On 1/13/2016 9:52 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

You read one book a day? Wonder what kinda book that is. I do eRead a
lot. About one book a week, Kobo, Kindle or on iPAD. Local library does
not have books I am interested.