Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default eReader options

On 1/13/2016 2:58 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Tablet PC is too big for a reader.

That depends on what you are reading. I'd be hard-pressed to read some
of my technical documents on an 8" screen. I'd either be forced to
put on reading glasses to try to read all the "tiny print" in some
of the tables and illustrations; or, have to pan back and forth to read
individual items -- then figure out which row/column I happened to
have been in, at the time.

Being able to see an 8.5x11 sheet of paper *as* an 8.5x11 sheet of paper
is a huge win.

If you're only reading novels (no page formatting/layout information
preserved in the document), you can afford a smaller screen -- as long
as the imagery remains crisp at the scale you prefer reading.

When I played with my friend's nook, it seemed that I was constantly
"flipping pages" (I read very fast) while that's rarely the case with
the larger (more content) pages on my tablet PC (or, if reading
PDF's on a PC -- where I can see an entire page on the screen
without having to scroll down to the bottom of the first column, then
*up* to the top of the next, etc.)

My wife has a Kobo, Nook, Kindle. While she
likes them all, her favorite is the Kindle Fire with 8" screen.

You books are saved in a library and are available to be read on most any
device. The present book she is reading can be synced with her phone in
seconds and she can continue reading where she left off.

Is the "library" *off* the device? And *not* requiring a connection
to some cloud service? (We don't use cell phones) E.g., I can
slap a PC card, SD card, thumb drive, etc. into my tablet PC to gain
access to other parts of my document collection (if I don't want to
use the network connection -- wired or wireless). So, the tablet PC
doesn't need to have a huge disk to access the ~2TB of documents
that I maintain...