Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default eReader options

On 1/13/2016 8:16 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 01/13/2016 01:29 PM, Don Y wrote:
I can't see the need for either -- if reading "novels". There's no/few
illustrations that could benefit from color (unlike my technical literature
which might use color to convey information). And, I can only see a
touch screen as a frill to allow for gestural "page turning".

You can subscribe to magazines and the color might make it more enjoyable.

Ah, OK. We don't have any magazine subscriptions. She just recently
commented on yet another attempt to get her to RE-subscribe to a magazine
she had years ago: "I saved the old issues and all they do is
recycle the same articles..."

I only get a few magazines and prefer the dead tree format anyway.

Ditto. I find that if I have to spend any time with a document,
I will print a copy -- then "recycle" the paper when I'm done with it.
Some of the datasheets for the components that I use might be 1000+ pp
so this leaves me cringing (even with a duplex printer, that's a whole
ream of paper!). But, there's something special about being able to
flip back and forth between relevant sections just by sticking a
finger "in" the document at the right spot(s).

[E.g., it may describe the device pinout in one chapter and details
of a specific *set* of pins in another; and details of yet another
set of pins in a third!]

OTOH, keeping paper originals of things eats up shelf space at an
incredible rate (a few feet per project)! So, digital forms for
"long term storage" seem to be best.

[E.g., I think my MULTICS manuals are about 2 feet of shelf space]