Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gutenburg and Ereader/tablet

I have just bought my first Android E-reader/ tablet and I'm completely
amazed by it and what it can do, plus the range of freely available
books.

I've signed up to my local public library, which gives me access to
download books - some are time limited (just like paper library books),
others are permanent.

It may need charging up occasionally, unlike a paper book, but its 32Gb
to 96Gb of storage allows thousands of books to be available on it.

I've been a bit of a luddite so far as E-readers have been concerned, I
just didn't think the experience would be comparable to holding a paper
book in your hand, since this one was delivered yesterday - I have
certainly changed my mind. It is very usable and very convenient.

Getting back to the range of free books available...

Some of those available go back almost to the middle ages. I expected
them to be just scanned images, but all seem to be proper digital
texts. I'm guessing they must have used some very capable OCR software
to convert these, along with a very patient proof reader.

Mightily impressed!

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff brought next idea :
In that case, if its android, one could install the screenreader and be read
to every night.
Brian

It already has a screen reader as part of its default software, I just
need to explore its abilities.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
I have just bought my first Android E-reader/ tablet and I'm completely
amazed by it

I'm not

I'm still trying to work out what to do with mine that I can't do on my
laptop

It doesn't even fit in my pocket, so I can't take it to "read" with when I'm
off on the train somewhere without having to take a bag to carry it in when
I reach my destination

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , tim.....
wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
I have just bought my first Android E-reader/ tablet and I'm completely
amazed by it

I'm not

I'm still trying to work out what to do with mine that I can't do on my
laptop

It doesn't even fit in my pocket, so I can't take it to "read" with when
I'm off on the train somewhere without having to take a bag to carry it
in when I reach my destination

you should have bought a 7" one ;-)

--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
I have just bought my first Android E-reader/ tablet and I'm
completely amazed by it

I'm not

I'm still trying to work out what to do with mine that I can't do on my
laptop

It doesn't even fit in my pocket, so I can't take it to "read" with when
I'm off on the train somewhere without having to take a bag to carry it
in when I reach my destination

So where do you put your laptop?(which is better you say)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
I have just bought my first Android E-reader/ tablet and I'm
completely amazed by it

I'm not

I'm still trying to work out what to do with mine that I can't do on my
laptop

It doesn't even fit in my pocket, so I can't take it to "read" with when
I'm off on the train somewhere without having to take a bag to carry it
in when I reach my destination

Doesn't a 6" phone do the same things?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...
tim..... wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
I have just bought my first Android E-reader/ tablet and I'm
completely amazed by it

I'm not

I'm still trying to work out what to do with mine that I can't do on my
laptop

It doesn't even fit in my pocket, so I can't take it to "read" with when
I'm off on the train somewhere without having to take a bag to carry it
in when I reach my destination

So where do you put your laptop?(which is better you say)

I don't take the laptop on such a journey either

my point is that the tab doesn't offer me an extra option here

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
tim..... wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
I have just bought my first Android E-reader/ tablet and I'm
completely amazed by it

I'm not

I'm still trying to work out what to do with mine that I can't do on my
laptop

It doesn't even fit in my pocket, so I can't take it to "read" with when
I'm off on the train somewhere without having to take a bag to carry it
in when I reach my destination

Doesn't a 6" phone do the same things?

dunno, all mine does is make calls :-)

(and that is how I like it BTW - I don't want my call making abilities to be
compromised by having a phone that thinks it's a media player)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/03/2015 12:14, tim..... wrote:

"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...
tim..... wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
I have just bought my first Android E-reader/ tablet and I'm
completely amazed by it

I'm not

I'm still trying to work out what to do with mine that I can't do on my
laptop

It doesn't even fit in my pocket, so I can't take it to "read" with when
I'm off on the train somewhere without having to take a bag to carry it
in when I reach my destination

So where do you put your laptop?(which is better you say)

I don't take the laptop on such a journey either

my point is that the tab doesn't offer me an extra option here

No, it won't. It offers improved portability, longer battery life and
ease of use - things that don't matter to some. But for many, tablets
are a revelation, especially if you read a lot. Wouldn't be without
mine, and haven't need to even switch the laptop on in over 2 years.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/03/2015 13:38, RJH wrote:
On 29/03/2015 12:14, tim..... wrote:

"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...
tim..... wrote:

[...]

Bit heavy for reading in bed compared to a Kindle?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... was thinking very hard :
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
I have just bought my first Android E-reader/ tablet and I'm completely
amazed by it

I'm not

I'm still trying to work out what to do with mine that I can't do on my
laptop

It doesn't even fit in my pocket, so I can't take it to "read" with when I'm
off on the train somewhere without having to take a bag to carry it in when I
reach my destination

I normally take a stack of books away with me, when we go off in the
caravan, plus the laptop. Instead of the books, I will just take the
laptop and tablet with books installed.

I didn't see the need for them, with a desktop at home, plus a laptop,
so last week I would have agreed with you. Its maybe one of those
things you need to try, to understand the difference.

I bought a 9 inch NOOK tablet, so it was less of a strain to read. I'm
finding it comparable to an actual book to read. The touch screen makes
the page turning much more natural, than a mouse of keyboard.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote on 29/03/2015 :
On 29/03/2015 13:38, RJH wrote:
On 29/03/2015 12:14, tim..... wrote:

"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...
tim..... wrote:

[...]

My 9" tablet weighs 1 lb. A bit heavier than a paper back, but it can
have many thousands of books stored inside it.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 13:38:37 +0100, RJH wrote:

I don't take the laptop on such a journey either

my point is that the tab doesn't offer me an extra option here

No, it won't. It offers improved portability, longer battery life and
ease of use - things that don't matter to some. But for many, tablets
are a revelation, especially if you read a lot. Wouldn't be without
mine, and haven't need to even switch the laptop on in over 2 years.

I don't actually use a laptop unless I really have to. I don't work when
travelling and I have a desktop everywhere I need one.

Tablets are great little portable sources of information - and amusement!
I use mine a lot.

However, I also have what I consider a *proper* e-reader - an e-ink one.
That's what I use to read books. Stupidly long battery like and restful
to use.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 13:38:37 +0100, RJH wrote:

I don't take the laptop on such a journey either

my point is that the tab doesn't offer me an extra option here

No, it won't. It offers improved portability, longer battery life and
ease of use - things that don't matter to some. But for many, tablets
are a revelation, especially if you read a lot. Wouldn't be without
mine, and haven't need to even switch the laptop on in over 2 years.

I don't actually use a laptop unless I really have to. I don't work when
travelling and I have a desktop everywhere I need one.

Tablets are great little portable sources of information - and amusement!
I use mine a lot.

However, I also have what I consider a *proper* e-reader - an e-ink one.
That's what I use to read books. Stupidly long battery like and restful
to use.

And works in daylight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, March 29, 2015 at 2:17:18 PM UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
tim..... was thinking very hard :
[...]

I was reading a real book the other day. I reached to press the dictionary function.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 16:49:03 +0100, Sam Plusnet wrote:

However, I also have what I consider a *proper* e-reader - an e-ink
one. That's what I use to read books. Stupidly long battery like and
restful to use.

I agree with you, however...

After about one year's (heavy) use, my e-Ink reader needs recharging at
least every other day, and those claims of 2 months battery life are
based on 30 minutes use per day and probably heavily tweeked to give the
very best result possible[1].

My Kindle was still fine and holding a good charge after four years'
heavy use. The problem with it was that a button was failing (minor) and
also that it had become unacceptably slow although only a third 'full'.

[1] Since most power is used by the backlight & page turns, both will be
minimised or at zero.

True, although that didn't have a backlight. I have a Kobo Aurora now and
I very rarely use the backlight. I tend to read in the same environment I
would read conventional books (i.e. there is light). The Kobo seems to
last a month and I probably read for a minimum of an hour a day, and
often quite a bit more.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote

I have just bought my first Android E-reader/ tablet
and I'm completely amazed by it and what it can do,
plus the range of freely available books.

I've signed up to my local public library, which gives
me access to download books - some are time limited
(just like paper library books), others are permanent.

It may need charging up occasionally, unlike a paper book, but its 32Gb
to 96Gb of storage allows thousands of books to be available on it.

I've been a bit of a luddite so far as E-readers have been concerned,

I haven't and have preferred ebooks for a long time now.

In fact I find it a damned nuisance that the bulk of the
books I get are physical books from the garage sales.
I'd much prefer them to be ebooks for the storage alone,
but also because I much prefer to read ebooks too.

I just didn't think the experience would be
comparable to holding a paper book in your hand,

I actually find that quite irritating, particularly with the
massive great non fiction books but also paperbacks
too, particularly when they aren't in the best of condition
and when you are out and about say in the A&E or the
GP's waiting room etc.

since this one was delivered yesterday - I have certainly
changed my mind. It is very usable and very convenient.

Yeah, I even find that reading ebooks on my iphone works
fine. Didn't anticipate that until I tried it, thought the screen
was too small, but it isn't and its MUCH more convenient
to have hundreds of books in my pocket all the times so
that when there is nothing useful to do while waiting for
something, I can just read more of one of the books I am
reading and don't need to plan for that because the phone
is in my pocket when I am out an about except on the very
rare occasions when I manage to take it with me.

I mostly prefer to read ebooks at home on the big 24" wide
screen monitor in the deep armchair that I compute from,
particularly now that I have to hold a physical book quite
close since I am short sighted and read books with no
glasses. Should get off my arse and get reading glasses.

Getting back to the range of free books available...

Some of those available go back almost to the middle ages. I expected
them to be just scanned images, but all seem to be proper digital
texts. I'm guessing they must have used some very capable OCR
software to convert these, along with a very patient proof reader.

Mightily impressed!

Quite a few free ones on amazon for short times too.

I don't read fiction much at all and some very decent
autobiographys/memoirs and stuff like that has
shown up on amazon for free for a limited time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

In that case, if its android, one could install the screenreader and be
read to every night.

Too slow for me.

Harry Bloomfield wrote

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote
Harry Bloomfield wrote

I have just bought my first Android E-reader/ tablet and I'm completely
amazed by it

I'm not

I am.

I'm still trying to work out what to do with mine that I can't do on my
laptop

I worked that out long ago, its MUCH more portable
when I need to setup or reconfig the wifi extender that
I use to give my neighbours free access to my wifi.

It doesn't even fit in my pocket,

My phone does and its very convenient to read ebooks on that.

I didn't think it would be until I tried it but it works fine.

so I can't take it to "read" with when I'm off on the train somewhere
without having to take a bag to carry it in when I reach my destination

Try the phone, you might be surprised.

I thought the screen would be much too small
to be useful for reading ebooks, but it isn't.

Decent screen tho, its an iphone 5, not
some **** screen like some phones have.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
tim..... wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
I have just bought my first Android E-reader/ tablet and I'm
completely amazed by it

I'm not

I'm still trying to work out what to do with mine that I can't do on my
laptop

It doesn't even fit in my pocket, so I can't take it to "read" with when
I'm off on the train somewhere without having to take a bag to carry it
in when I reach my destination

Doesn't a 6" phone do the same things?

A 5" phone with a decent screen does too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim....." wrote in message

"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...
tim..... wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
I have just bought my first Android E-reader/ tablet and I'm
completely amazed by it

I'm not

I'm still trying to work out what to do with mine that I can't do on my
laptop

It doesn't even fit in my pocket, so I can't take it to "read" with when
I'm off on the train somewhere without having to take a bag to carry it
in when I reach my destination

So where do you put your laptop?(which is better you say)

I don't take the laptop on such a journey either

my point is that the tab doesn't offer me an extra option here

But a phone and kindle does.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim....." wrote in message

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
tim..... wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
I have just bought my first Android E-reader/ tablet and I'm
completely amazed by it

I'm not

I'm still trying to work out what to do with mine that I can't do on my
laptop

It doesn't even fit in my pocket, so I can't take it to "read" with when
I'm off on the train somewhere without having to take a bag to carry it
in when I reach my destination

Doesn't a 6" phone do the same things?

dunno, all mine does is make calls :-)

(and that is how I like it BTW - I don't want my call making abilities to
be compromised by having a phone that thinks it's a media player)

Not only isn't it compromised by that, its MUCH more convenient
to be able to tap on a phone number in an email or web page
or google search and ring that number.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

And I love being able to just tap on a word in the book and check
it in wikipedia or google.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim....." wrote in message

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
tim..... wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
I have just bought my first Android E-reader/ tablet and I'm
completely amazed by it

I'm not

I'm still trying to work out what to do with mine that I can't do on my
laptop

It doesn't even fit in my pocket, so I can't take it to "read" with
when
I'm off on the train somewhere without having to take a bag to carry it
in when I reach my destination

Doesn't a 6" phone do the same things?

dunno, all mine does is make calls :-)

(and that is how I like it BTW - I don't want my call making abilities to
be compromised by having a phone that thinks it's a media player)

Not only isn't it compromised by that,

I don't care what functionally it is that compromises it

but not being able to make a phone call because the battery has run out
because I forgot to put it on charge every night

is compromised

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

[...]

Since this is a DIY group, it might be interesting to decide what steps
you could take if you had the job of getting the very best possible
result out of one of these battery life tests.

Backlight off, minimal (or no) page turns, underclock processor,
optimise temperature, select from a production batch for a battery with
the best possible capacity.

--
Sam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 21:47:26 +0100, Sam Plusnet wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

One further thing (which the Kobo does) is minimise the 'full refresh' of
the screen on every page turn (the thing that makes the screen flash).

Mine is set to do a full refresh every six page turns (it can be
altered)...whereas my Kindle does it on every page turn. Result: lower
battery use. The minimal downside is that you get faint shadows on the
screen but it is not usually notoceable.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
misterroy writes
[...]

I was reading a magazine, I tapped the page to turn it.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes
[...]

My Kindle Paperwhite is set to not refresh every page (it's not
configurable, but I think it's probably about every 6 pages - though
don't know if it's fixed or it tries to be clever and do it relation the
the use of the screen)

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes
[...]

I have a 2 year old Kindle Paperwhite. I do use the light, as, somewhat
slighty counter intuitively the idea is that you turn it up in daylight
and down low at night - I have tried it in daytime with light off, but
it's a nicer experience with it on.

I don't really know what the battery life is as I don't pay attention to
it (which is as it should be) - probably I charger it every couple of
weeks

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , stuart noble
writes
On 29/03/2015 13:38, RJH wrote:
On 29/03/2015 12:14, tim..... wrote:

"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...
tim..... wrote:

[...]

Having both a Kindle and a tablet (Hudl 2 - 8.something inch screen). I
prefer reading on the Kindle for a number of reasons. I find it a more
pleasurable experience the eink screen is for me more easy going to read
for extended periods, and I don't really notice the Kindle when I'm
reading. With the tablet, I'm sort of always conscious of it. Maybe the
weight, the handling, the screen, the possibility of distraction just a
click away, not really sure.

Though I do like using the tablet also. Kicking back on the sofa, web
browsing, email, playing games, watching iplayer or whatever. Or propped
up on the table at breakfast as the alternative to the morning paper.
Or by the stove watching something whilst cooking.

If Tim's tablet doesn't fit in his pocket then I can only think he
should have got a smaller tablet or he has very small pockets. My Kindle
(about the same size as 7 icnh tab)slips easily into an pocket a
paperback would fit into (and some where one wouldn't)

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim....." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim....." wrote in message

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
tim..... wrote:

[...]

You haven't established that anything compromises that.

but not being able to make a phone call because the battery has run out
because I forgot to put it on charge every night

I don't charge mine every night and it isn't the media
player that sees it need to be charged every night either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bob Eager
writes

True, although that didn't have a backlight. I have a Kobo Aurora now and
I very rarely use the backlight. I tend to read in the same environment I
would read conventional books (i.e. there is light). The Kobo seems to
last a month and I probably read for a minimum of an hour a day, and
often quite a bit more.

Nice to see Kobo are still in the market as I had heard that they had
dropped out, presumably that was before the 2012 buyout by Rakuten.

I assumed you meant you have a Kobo Aura?

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 17:51:15 +0100, fred wrote:

In article , Bob Eager
writes

True, although that didn't have a backlight. I have a Kobo Aurora now
and I very rarely use the backlight. I tend to read in the same
environment I would read conventional books (i.e. there is light). The
Kobo seems to last a month and I probably read for a minimum of an hour
a day, and often quite a bit more.

Nice to see Kobo are still in the market as I had heard that they had
dropped out, presumably that was before the 2012 buyout by Rakuten.

I assumed you meant you have a Kobo Aura?

When I wrote that it didn't look right! Yes, the Aura. 80 quid at Argos.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bob Eager
writes
On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 17:51:15 +0100, fred wrote:

In article , Bob Eager
writes

True, although that didn't have a backlight. I have a Kobo Aurora now
and I very rarely use the backlight. I tend to read in the same
environment I would read conventional books (i.e. there is light). The
Kobo seems to last a month and I probably read for a minimum of an hour
a day, and often quite a bit more.

Nice to see Kobo are still in the market as I had heard that they had
dropped out, presumably that was before the 2012 buyout by Rakuten.

I assumed you meant you have a Kobo Aura?

When I wrote that it didn't look right! Yes, the Aura. 80 quid at Argos.

Good price, if I upgrade to a lit one then I think that would be a good
choice.

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .