Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TV USB to charge Tablet and GPS

Thinking about our next holiday - as many TVs now have USB Sockets will it
be safe to charge my Samsung Tablet using the TV set (I know it has a USB
Socket) - or do you suggest I play safe and take the charger?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

many TVs now have USB Sockets will it
be safe to charge my Samsung Tablet using the TV set

It'll be slow. I have one of these, but you may be going further afield

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/thincharger/331026344775

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2014 18:05, DerbyBorn wrote:
Thinking about our next holiday - as many TVs now have USB Sockets will it
be safe to charge my Samsung Tablet using the TV set (I know it has a USB
Socket) - or do you suggest I play safe and take the charger?

It should be safe enough - but there is no guarantee that the USB socket
will have power when the TV is not in use. I got caught out by thinking
I could use the USB of my netbook, although plugged into the mains and
charging the USB wasn't powered hence one uncharged phone in the morning!!

Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2014 18:41, Peter Andrews wrote:
On 30/07/2014 18:05, DerbyBorn wrote:
Thinking about our next holiday - as many TVs now have USB Sockets
will it
be safe to charge my Samsung Tablet using the TV set (I know it has a USB
Socket) - or do you suggest I play safe and take the charger?

It should be safe enough - but there is no guarantee that the USB socket
will have power when the TV is not in use. I got caught out by thinking
I could use the USB of my netbook, although plugged into the mains and
charging the USB wasn't powered hence one uncharged phone in the morning!!

Some notebooks deliberately have one or more USB sockets with yellow
coloured inserts that are powered when the laptop is off, for just this
purpose. Alas they seem to be more the exception than the rule.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote

Thinking about our next holiday - as many TVs now have USB Sockets
will it be safe to charge my Samsung Tablet using the TV set (I know it
has a USB Socket) - or do you suggest I play safe and take the charger?

I'd play safe an take the charger, but that's because it may well
not charge very fast from the TV. I found my Samsung Tab 2
takes a hell of a long time to charge from the iphone 5 charger,
much longer than it takes to charge from its own charger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
.222...
Thinking about our next holiday - as many TVs now have USB Sockets will it
be safe to charge my Samsung Tablet using the TV set (I know it has a USB
Socket) - or do you suggest I play safe and take the charger?

So you're going to sit on the beach and play with your tablet?
Sad bugger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Some notebooks deliberately have one or more USB sockets with yellow
coloured inserts that are powered when the laptop is off, for just this
purpose. Alas they seem to be more the exception than the rule.

If only hotels would have one or more mains sockets with coloured
inserts that are powered when the key card is removed from the slot by
the door.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:

If only hotels would have one or more mains sockets with coloured
inserts that are powered when the key card is removed from the slot by
the door.

So leave A.N.Other plastic card in the slot, rather than the keycard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2014 01:35, John Rumm wrote:
On 30/07/2014 18:41, Peter Andrews wrote:
On 30/07/2014 18:05, DerbyBorn wrote:
Thinking about our next holiday - as many TVs now have USB Sockets
will it
be safe to charge my Samsung Tablet using the TV set (I know it has a
USB
Socket) - or do you suggest I play safe and take the charger?

It should be safe enough - but there is no guarantee that the USB socket
will have power when the TV is not in use. I got caught out by thinking
I could use the USB of my netbook, although plugged into the mains and
charging the USB wasn't powered hence one uncharged phone in the
morning!!

Some notebooks deliberately have one or more USB sockets with yellow
coloured inserts that are powered when the laptop is off, for just this
purpose. Alas they seem to be more the exception than the rule.

The last three laptops I have used had permanently on USB for charging.
None were coloured.
All could be enabled or disabled in the bios and/or set to use the
battery to charge when not plugged in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2014 08:09, Mike Barnes wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
Some notebooks deliberately have one or more USB sockets with yellow
coloured inserts that are powered when the laptop is off, for just this
purpose. Alas they seem to be more the exception than the rule.

If only hotels would have one or more mains sockets with coloured
inserts that are powered when the key card is removed from the slot by
the door.

Use the spare you "forgot" to hand back at the last hotel.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2014 07:24, harryagain wrote:
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
.222...
Thinking about our next holiday - as many TVs now have USB Sockets will it
be safe to charge my Samsung Tablet using the TV set (I know it has a USB
Socket) - or do you suggest I play safe and take the charger?

So you're going to sit on the beach and play with your tablet?
Sad bugger.

You may be surprised at just how many people use their tablets to take
holiday photos, rather than use a dedicated camera.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Some notebooks deliberately have one or more USB sockets with yellow
coloured inserts that are powered when the laptop is off, for just this
purpose. Alas they seem to be more the exception than the rule.

If only hotels would have one or more mains sockets with coloured
inserts that are powered when the key card is removed from the slot by
the door.

I've not come across that very often and, when I have, the hotel has
usually supplied two key cards, one of which simply stays in the slot.
Otherwise almost any similarly shaped bit of card or plastic will do.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/You may be surprised at just how many people use their tablets to take
holiday photos, rather than use a dedicated camera. /q

Indeed, ditto all the dicks videoing the school play holding (&watching) their iPad above their own head height selfishly blocking others' views, ****s!

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Nightjar
\"cpb\"@" "insert my surname writes
John Rumm wrote:
Some notebooks deliberately have one or more USB sockets with yellow
coloured inserts that are powered when the laptop is off, for just this
purpose. Alas they seem to be more the exception than the rule.

If only hotels would have one or more mains sockets with coloured
inserts that are powered when the key card is removed from the slot by
the door.

I've not come across that very often and, when I have, the hotel has
usually supplied two key cards, one of which simply stays in the slot.
Otherwise almost any similarly shaped bit of card or plastic will do.

Confuses the cleaning lady who may wonder if you are ever going out:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harryagain" wrote in
:

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
.222...
Thinking about our next holiday - as many TVs now have USB Sockets
will it be safe to charge my Samsung Tablet using the TV set (I know
it has a USB Socket) - or do you suggest I play safe and take the
charger?

So you're going to sit on the beach and play with your tablet?
Sad bugger.

Definately not - use it for the GPS when I go for a drive to explore - and
to read restaurant reviews - also to check my bank account to ensure no
dodgy transactions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2014 09:19, JimK wrote:
/You may be surprised at just how many people use their tablets to take
holiday photos, rather than use a dedicated camera. /q

Indeed, ditto all the dicks videoing the school play holding (&watching) their iPad above their own head height selfishly blocking others' views, ****s!

No doubt streaming the video to social media, so the whole family can
share in the event. :-)

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JimK wrote:
/You may be surprised at just how many people use their tablets to take
holiday photos, rather than use a dedicated camera. /q

Indeed, ditto all the dicks videoing the school play holding (&watching)
their iPad above their own head height selfishly blocking others' views,
****s!

What do you use to post here, Jim? That doesn't quote in the same way as
everyone else?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insert my surname here wrote in
:

On 31/07/2014 09:19, JimK wrote:
/You may be surprised at just how many people use their tablets to
take holiday photos, rather than use a dedicated camera. /q

Indeed, ditto all the dicks videoing the school play holding
(&watching) their iPad above their own head height selfishly blocking
others' views, ****s!

No doubt streaming the video to social media, so the whole family can
share in the event. :-)

I doubt it - just some kind of new instinct. I once saw someone at a
Florida Theme park videoing a 3D Terminator Experience on his phone (going
back a few years). The video would be crap and he missed seeing the effects
because he was viewing it on his phone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2014 09:19, JimK wrote:
/You may be surprised at just how many people use their tablets to
take holiday photos, rather than use a dedicated camera. /q

Indeed, ditto all the dicks videoing the school play holding
(&watching) their iPad above their own head height selfishly blocking
others' views, ****s!

No doubt streaming the video to social media, so the whole family can
share in the event. :-)

I doubt it - just some kind of new instinct.

In May I was on a Danube river cruise. The vast majority of the
Americans (about 90% of the people on board) were posting their pictures
to Facebook almost immediately they had taken them.

I once saw someone at a
Florida Theme park videoing a 3D Terminator Experience on his phone (going
back a few years). The video would be crap and he missed seeing the effects
because he was viewing it on his phone.

The worst for that are the orientals, who wander around places like
Venice with an iPad glued to their noses. They also each need a picture
taken in front of something that looks (and occasionally may actually
be) important.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2014 10:02, DerbyBorn wrote:
"harryagain" wrote in
:

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
.222...
Thinking about our next holiday - as many TVs now have USB Sockets
will it be safe to charge my Samsung Tablet using the TV set (I know
it has a USB Socket) - or do you suggest I play safe and take the
charger?

So you're going to sit on the beach and play with your tablet?
Sad bugger.

Definately not - use it for the GPS when I go for a drive to explore - and
to read restaurant reviews - also to check my bank account to ensure no
dodgy transactions.

I have found my phone useful to look up web sites for information on
places I come across unexpectedly and know nothing about.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2014 10:35, Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:
On 31/07/2014 10:26, DerbyBorn wrote:
I once saw someone at a
Florida Theme park videoing a 3D Terminator Experience on his phone
(going
back a few years). The video would be crap and he missed seeing the
effects
because he was viewing it on his phone.

The worst for that are the orientals, who wander around places like
Venice with an iPad glued to their noses. They also each need a picture
taken in front of something that looks (and occasionally may actually
be) important.

That's not new.

When camcorders first came out, I'm sure some of the Japanese tourists I
used to carry round were surprised to find out when they got home that
Britain was actually in colour, as they'd spent the entire tour with one
eye up to the (monochrome) viewfinder and the other one closed.

At least they weren't doing selfies in those days.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2014 08:21, Andy Burns wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:

If only hotels would have one or more mains sockets with coloured
inserts that are powered when the key card is removed from the slot by
the door.

So leave A.N.Other plastic card in the slot, rather than the keycard.

Doesn't even need to be plastic - business cards work too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:

If only hotels would have one or more mains sockets with coloured
inserts that are powered when the key card is removed from the slot by
the door.

So leave A.N.Other plastic card in the slot, rather than the keycard.

But I'd actually like everything else to be turned off.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2014 17:39, Mike Barnes wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:

If only hotels would have one or more mains sockets with coloured
inserts that are powered when the key card is removed from the slot by
the door.

So leave A.N.Other plastic card in the slot, rather than the keycard.

But I'd actually like everything else to be turned off.

It is not that difficult to switch things off individually and one thing
you don't want being turned off is the room heating in Copenhagen in winter.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Some notebooks deliberately have one or more USB sockets with yellow
coloured inserts that are powered when the laptop is off, for just this
purpose. Alas they seem to be more the exception than the rule.

If only hotels would have one or more mains sockets with coloured
inserts that are powered when the key card is removed from the slot by
the door.

I've not come across that very often and, when I have, the hotel has
usually supplied two key cards, one of which simply stays in the slot.
Otherwise almost any similarly shaped bit of card or plastic will do.

Confuses the cleaning lady who may wonder if you are ever going out:-)

I always leave the room ready to clean card on the door when I do.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:

If only hotels would have one or more mains sockets with
coloured inserts that are powered when the key card is removed
from the slot by the door.

So leave A.N.Other plastic card in the slot, rather than the
keycard.

But I'd actually like everything else to be turned off.

It is not that difficult to switch things off individually

You obviously haven't been the same hotel rooms as I have. After
figuring out how to get everything *just right* I don't want to have to
undo and redo it all every time I go out.

The latest room I stayed in had a Lutron-branded system where the
ten-button keypads (of which there were at least four) with their tiny
legends (thankfully in English) controlled what must have been a dozen
lights, the heating and ventilation, two pairs of curtains, two window
blinds, lifting the telly up and down, and probably a few more things
besides. I didn't want to go messing with that lot when stumbling back
into the room after a good night out.

Much simpler would be: card out, everything *except* my iPad charger
off, card back in, everything back how it was.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2014 10:37, Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:
On 31/07/2014 10:02, DerbyBorn wrote:
"harryagain" wrote in
:

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
.222...
Thinking about our next holiday - as many TVs now have USB Sockets
will it be safe to charge my Samsung Tablet using the TV set (I know
it has a USB Socket) - or do you suggest I play safe and take the
charger?

So you're going to sit on the beach and play with your tablet?
Sad bugger.

Definately not - use it for the GPS when I go for a drive to explore -
and
to read restaurant reviews - also to check my bank account to ensure no
dodgy transactions.

I have found my phone useful to look up web sites for information on
places I come across unexpectedly and know nothing about.

Actually found my Nexus 7 useful to find and book a hotel room when,
having driven a long way on a day trip, we decided to go the extra mile
and stay away for the weekend.

(Just a huge shame that the site we used absolutely would not work on an
Android browser, so partner got her Macbook air out, tethered to my
phone, and that did work.)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 17:39:42 +0100, Mike Barnes wrote:

But I'd actually like everything else to be turned off.

The telly isn't likely to be powered off but I've never bothered
checking.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 01:19:22 -0700 (PDT), JimK
wrote:

/You may be surprised at just how many people use their tablets to take
holiday photos, rather than use a dedicated camera. /q

Indeed, ditto all the dicks videoing the school play holding (&watching) their iPad above their own head height selfishly blocking others' views, ****s!

Jim K

Upset one of them at the Chelsea Flower show last year. Using a small
digital camera I took a pictures of of the screen of an IPad a woman
was holding up who when she realised what I was doing said " would
you mind not taking pictures of my I Pad" "Sorry mam it's the only
way any of us behind you can see anything". Got a chuckle from a few
people surrounding followed by the woman making a haughty exit.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:

[...]

That sounds like a very good reason not to use that hotel chain again.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:

[...]

You don't know anywhere near enough to have a valid opinion on that.

Whatever, the point remains that the lighting in hotel rooms can be
non-trivial to figure out, and a master on/off switch by the door is
useful, but if that switch stops your iThing from charging, that's not
so good.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:

[...]

Indeed? Exactly how much do I need to know to have an opinion about
whether or not I would want to use an hotel that makes life too complicated?

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Upset one of them at the Chelsea Flower show last year. Using a small
digital camera I took a pictures of of the screen of an IPad a woman
was holding up who when she realised what I was doing said " would
you mind not taking pictures of my I Pad" "Sorry mam it's the only
way any of us behind you can see anything". Got a chuckle from a few
people surrounding followed by the woman making a haughty exit.

G.Harman

Annoying when it is a 10" one.
Makes you wonder how people managed with viewfinders.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:

[...]

Indeed?

Indeed.

Exactly how much do I need to know to have an opinion about
whether or not I would want to use an hotel that makes life too
complicated?

That's irrelevant. What's relevant is whether I would want to use it
again, not you.

You want "exactly"? I know you were talking about me, not you, because
you wrote "use that hotel chain *again*" (my emphasis). The chances of
you ever having used that hotel (not part of a chain, incidentally) are
vanishingly small.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/08/2014 10:17, DerbyBorn wrote:

Upset one of them at the Chelsea Flower show last year. Using a small
digital camera I took a pictures of of the screen of an IPad a woman
was holding up who when she realised what I was doing said " would
you mind not taking pictures of my I Pad" "Sorry mam it's the only
way any of us behind you can see anything". Got a chuckle from a few
people surrounding followed by the woman making a haughty exit.

G.Harman

Annoying when it is a 10" one.
Makes you wonder how people managed with viewfinders.

I reckon it's a nostalgia thing from the days of plate cameras without
viewfinders, but without the need for the black cloth.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:

[...]

It is entirely relevant to my having an opinion about the hotel.

You want "exactly"? I know you were talking about me, not you, because
you wrote "use that hotel chain *again*" (my emphasis).

Not at all. I would have to have used the hotel once in order to
discover that it made life so complicated, hence I would not want to use
it again.

The chances of
you ever having used that hotel (not part of a chain, incidentally) are
vanishingly small.

Probably true. I have had a suite with a view over the pyramids and
accommodation for my personal servants, but I really don't like the
suffocating degree of service that comes with that sort of hotel and
have long since decided that I much prefer three or four star hotels.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Annoying when it is a 10" one.
Makes you wonder how people managed with viewfinders.

I reckon it's a nostalgia thing from the days of plate cameras without
viewfinders, but without the need for the black cloth.

Perhaps there should be an app to turn it upside down.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:

That's irrelevant. What's relevant is whether I would want to use it
again, not you.

You want "exactly"? I know you were talking about me, not you, because
you wrote "use that hotel chain *again*" (my emphasis). The chances of
you ever having used that hotel (not part of a chain, incidentally) are
vanishingly small.

You post something to Usenet and then get arsey when someone posts a
fairly bland comment about it? My opinion is that you really ought to
seek help (probably paranoia judging by the wild misinterpretation.)

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott M wrote:
You post something to Usenet and then get arsey when someone posts a
fairly bland comment about it? My opinion is that you really ought to
seek help (probably paranoia judging by the wild misinterpretation.)

Who's being "arsey" now?.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England