Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TV USB to charge Tablet and GPS

Thinking about our next holiday - as many TVs now have USB Sockets will it
be safe to charge my Samsung Tablet using the TV set (I know it has a USB
Socket) - or do you suggest I play safe and take the charger?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

many TVs now have USB Sockets will it
be safe to charge my Samsung Tablet using the TV set

It'll be slow. I have one of these, but you may be going further afield

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/thincharger/331026344775

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2014 18:05, DerbyBorn wrote:
Thinking about our next holiday - as many TVs now have USB Sockets will it
be safe to charge my Samsung Tablet using the TV set (I know it has a USB
Socket) - or do you suggest I play safe and take the charger?

It should be safe enough - but there is no guarantee that the USB socket
will have power when the TV is not in use. I got caught out by thinking
I could use the USB of my netbook, although plugged into the mains and
charging the USB wasn't powered hence one uncharged phone in the morning!!

Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2014 18:41, Peter Andrews wrote:
On 30/07/2014 18:05, DerbyBorn wrote:
Thinking about our next holiday - as many TVs now have USB Sockets
will it
be safe to charge my Samsung Tablet using the TV set (I know it has a USB
Socket) - or do you suggest I play safe and take the charger?

It should be safe enough - but there is no guarantee that the USB socket
will have power when the TV is not in use. I got caught out by thinking
I could use the USB of my netbook, although plugged into the mains and
charging the USB wasn't powered hence one uncharged phone in the morning!!

Some notebooks deliberately have one or more USB sockets with yellow
coloured inserts that are powered when the laptop is off, for just this
purpose. Alas they seem to be more the exception than the rule.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Some notebooks deliberately have one or more USB sockets with yellow
coloured inserts that are powered when the laptop is off, for just this
purpose. Alas they seem to be more the exception than the rule.

If only hotels would have one or more mains sockets with coloured
inserts that are powered when the key card is removed from the slot by
the door.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:

If only hotels would have one or more mains sockets with coloured
inserts that are powered when the key card is removed from the slot by
the door.

So leave A.N.Other plastic card in the slot, rather than the keycard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2014 08:21, Andy Burns wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:

If only hotels would have one or more mains sockets with coloured
inserts that are powered when the key card is removed from the slot by
the door.

So leave A.N.Other plastic card in the slot, rather than the keycard.

Doesn't even need to be plastic - business cards work too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:

If only hotels would have one or more mains sockets with coloured
inserts that are powered when the key card is removed from the slot by
the door.

So leave A.N.Other plastic card in the slot, rather than the keycard.

But I'd actually like everything else to be turned off.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2014 08:09, Mike Barnes wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
Some notebooks deliberately have one or more USB sockets with yellow
coloured inserts that are powered when the laptop is off, for just this
purpose. Alas they seem to be more the exception than the rule.

If only hotels would have one or more mains sockets with coloured
inserts that are powered when the key card is removed from the slot by
the door.

Use the spare you "forgot" to hand back at the last hotel.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Some notebooks deliberately have one or more USB sockets with yellow
coloured inserts that are powered when the laptop is off, for just this
purpose. Alas they seem to be more the exception than the rule.

If only hotels would have one or more mains sockets with coloured
inserts that are powered when the key card is removed from the slot by
the door.

I've not come across that very often and, when I have, the hotel has
usually supplied two key cards, one of which simply stays in the slot.
Otherwise almost any similarly shaped bit of card or plastic will do.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Nightjar
\"cpb\"@" "insert my surname writes
John Rumm wrote:
Some notebooks deliberately have one or more USB sockets with yellow
coloured inserts that are powered when the laptop is off, for just this
purpose. Alas they seem to be more the exception than the rule.

If only hotels would have one or more mains sockets with coloured
inserts that are powered when the key card is removed from the slot by
the door.

I've not come across that very often and, when I have, the hotel has
usually supplied two key cards, one of which simply stays in the slot.
Otherwise almost any similarly shaped bit of card or plastic will do.

Confuses the cleaning lady who may wonder if you are ever going out:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2014 01:35, John Rumm wrote:
On 30/07/2014 18:41, Peter Andrews wrote:
On 30/07/2014 18:05, DerbyBorn wrote:
Thinking about our next holiday - as many TVs now have USB Sockets
will it
be safe to charge my Samsung Tablet using the TV set (I know it has a
USB
Socket) - or do you suggest I play safe and take the charger?

It should be safe enough - but there is no guarantee that the USB socket
will have power when the TV is not in use. I got caught out by thinking
I could use the USB of my netbook, although plugged into the mains and
charging the USB wasn't powered hence one uncharged phone in the
morning!!

Some notebooks deliberately have one or more USB sockets with yellow
coloured inserts that are powered when the laptop is off, for just this
purpose. Alas they seem to be more the exception than the rule.

The last three laptops I have used had permanently on USB for charging.
None were coloured.
All could be enabled or disabled in the bios and/or set to use the
battery to charge when not plugged in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote

Thinking about our next holiday - as many TVs now have USB Sockets
will it be safe to charge my Samsung Tablet using the TV set (I know it
has a USB Socket) - or do you suggest I play safe and take the charger?

I'd play safe an take the charger, but that's because it may well
not charge very fast from the TV. I found my Samsung Tab 2
takes a hell of a long time to charge from the iphone 5 charger,
much longer than it takes to charge from its own charger.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 10:42:58 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

DerbyBorn wrote

Thinking about our next holiday - as many TVs now have USB Sockets
will it be safe to charge my Samsung Tablet using the TV set (I know it
has a USB Socket) - or do you suggest I play safe and take the charger?

I'd play safe an take the charger, but that's because it may well
not charge very fast from the TV. I found my Samsung Tab 2
takes a hell of a long time to charge from the iphone 5 charger,
much longer than it takes to charge from its own charger.

Samsung phones and tablets do seem to be quite fussy what they charge
from. Some dedicated USB sockets can't supply enough current.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/2014 10:39, Mark wrote:
Samsung phones and tablets do seem to be quite fussy what they charge
from. Some dedicated USB sockets can't supply enough current.

Cannot speak about anything else, but my Galaxy S2 is fine on any source
I have tried. However, it does like a good quality plug on the end of
the cable.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote in news:c4cjubFdeahU1
@mid.individual.net:

On 05/08/2014 10:39, Mark wrote:
Samsung phones and tablets do seem to be quite fussy what they charge
from. Some dedicated USB sockets can't supply enough current.

Cannot speak about anything else, but my Galaxy S2 is fine on any source
I have tried. However, it does like a good quality plug on the end of
the cable.

I am finding that my Tab3 will charge on anything if turned off - but needs
2 amps to charge whilst operating.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

:

On 05/08/2014 10:39, Mark wrote:
Samsung phones and tablets do seem to be quite fussy what they charge
from. Some dedicated USB sockets can't supply enough current.

Cannot speak about anything else, but my Galaxy S2 is fine on any source
I have tried. However, it does like a good quality plug on the end of
the cable.

I am finding that my Tab3 will charge on anything if turned off - but needs
2 amps to charge whilst operating.

I wonder whether the Tab3s are different since they use a standard
microusb port rather than the crappy samsumg one? The Tab2s will
charge sometimes off a computer (although they display an icon to
indicate it is not charging). My Galaxy S was OK but the Ace had
problems IIRC.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
.222...
Thinking about our next holiday - as many TVs now have USB Sockets will it
be safe to charge my Samsung Tablet using the TV set (I know it has a USB
Socket) - or do you suggest I play safe and take the charger?

So you're going to sit on the beach and play with your tablet?
Sad bugger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2014 07:24, harryagain wrote:
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
.222...
Thinking about our next holiday - as many TVs now have USB Sockets will it
be safe to charge my Samsung Tablet using the TV set (I know it has a USB
Socket) - or do you suggest I play safe and take the charger?

So you're going to sit on the beach and play with your tablet?
Sad bugger.

You may be surprised at just how many people use their tablets to take
holiday photos, rather than use a dedicated camera.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/You may be surprised at just how many people use their tablets to take
holiday photos, rather than use a dedicated camera. /q

Indeed, ditto all the dicks videoing the school play holding (&watching) their iPad above their own head height selfishly blocking others' views, ****s!

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2014 09:19, JimK wrote:
/You may be surprised at just how many people use their tablets to take
holiday photos, rather than use a dedicated camera. /q

Indeed, ditto all the dicks videoing the school play holding (&watching) their iPad above their own head height selfishly blocking others' views, ****s!

No doubt streaming the video to social media, so the whole family can
share in the event. :-)

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insert my surname here wrote in
:

On 31/07/2014 09:19, JimK wrote:
/You may be surprised at just how many people use their tablets to
take holiday photos, rather than use a dedicated camera. /q

Indeed, ditto all the dicks videoing the school play holding
(&watching) their iPad above their own head height selfishly blocking
others' views, ****s!

No doubt streaming the video to social media, so the whole family can
share in the event. :-)

I doubt it - just some kind of new instinct. I once saw someone at a
Florida Theme park videoing a 3D Terminator Experience on his phone (going
back a few years). The video would be crap and he missed seeing the effects
because he was viewing it on his phone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JimK wrote:
/You may be surprised at just how many people use their tablets to take
holiday photos, rather than use a dedicated camera. /q

Indeed, ditto all the dicks videoing the school play holding (&watching)
their iPad above their own head height selfishly blocking others' views,
****s!

What do you use to post here, Jim? That doesn't quote in the same way as
everyone else?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 01:19:22 -0700 (PDT), JimK
wrote:

/You may be surprised at just how many people use their tablets to take
holiday photos, rather than use a dedicated camera. /q

Indeed, ditto all the dicks videoing the school play holding (&watching) their iPad above their own head height selfishly blocking others' views, ****s!

Jim K

Upset one of them at the Chelsea Flower show last year. Using a small
digital camera I took a pictures of of the screen of an IPad a woman
was holding up who when she realised what I was doing said " would
you mind not taking pictures of my I Pad" "Sorry mam it's the only
way any of us behind you can see anything". Got a chuckle from a few
people surrounding followed by the woman making a haughty exit.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Upset one of them at the Chelsea Flower show last year. Using a small
digital camera I took a pictures of of the screen of an IPad a woman
was holding up who when she realised what I was doing said " would
you mind not taking pictures of my I Pad" "Sorry mam it's the only
way any of us behind you can see anything". Got a chuckle from a few
people surrounding followed by the woman making a haughty exit.

G.Harman

Annoying when it is a 10" one.
Makes you wonder how people managed with viewfinders.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , JimK
writes
/You may be surprised at just how many people use their tablets to take
holiday photos, rather than use a dedicated camera. /q

Indeed, ditto all the dicks videoing the school play holding
(&watching) their iPad above their own head height selfishly blocking
others' views, ****s!

Jim K

Didn't think that was allowed theses days - or has common sense
returned?
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harryagain" wrote in
:

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
.222...
Thinking about our next holiday - as many TVs now have USB Sockets
will it be safe to charge my Samsung Tablet using the TV set (I know
it has a USB Socket) - or do you suggest I play safe and take the
charger?

So you're going to sit on the beach and play with your tablet?
Sad bugger.

Definately not - use it for the GPS when I go for a drive to explore - and
to read restaurant reviews - also to check my bank account to ensure no
dodgy transactions.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2014 10:02, DerbyBorn wrote:
"harryagain" wrote in
:

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
.222...
Thinking about our next holiday - as many TVs now have USB Sockets
will it be safe to charge my Samsung Tablet using the TV set (I know
it has a USB Socket) - or do you suggest I play safe and take the
charger?

So you're going to sit on the beach and play with your tablet?
Sad bugger.

Definately not - use it for the GPS when I go for a drive to explore - and
to read restaurant reviews - also to check my bank account to ensure no
dodgy transactions.

I have found my phone useful to look up web sites for information on
places I come across unexpectedly and know nothing about.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2014 10:37, Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:
On 31/07/2014 10:02, DerbyBorn wrote:
"harryagain" wrote in
:

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
.222...
Thinking about our next holiday - as many TVs now have USB Sockets
will it be safe to charge my Samsung Tablet using the TV set (I know
it has a USB Socket) - or do you suggest I play safe and take the
charger?

So you're going to sit on the beach and play with your tablet?
Sad bugger.

Definately not - use it for the GPS when I go for a drive to explore -
and
to read restaurant reviews - also to check my bank account to ensure no
dodgy transactions.

I have found my phone useful to look up web sites for information on
places I come across unexpectedly and know nothing about.

Actually found my Nexus 7 useful to find and book a hotel room when,
having driven a long way on a day trip, we decided to go the extra mile
and stay away for the weekend.

(Just a huge shame that the site we used absolutely would not work on an
Android browser, so partner got her Macbook air out, tethered to my
phone, and that did work.)

--
Rod