Posted to alt.home.repair
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default eReader options

On 1/13/2016 11:55 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 1/13/2016 9:33 PM, Don Y wrote:

So, on the iPad, you have to invoke an *app* to get at the books?

Nope. I use Calibre to email an epub to a mail account accessed
exclusively on
my iPad. I click on the attachment and select "Open in iBook" (a native
application on iOS)

This seems like a roundabout way of doing it (?)

Why aren't you just "copying" it to the iPad? Why go through the email
step? Is there no other way to move files onto the iPad? (dunno, never
used one)

I'm relatively new to the iPad - only Apple device I own. My Calibre
program resides on a desktop and the "library files (my collection of
ebooks (~ 6,000 volumes) reside on a NAS (RAID) For me this was/is the
most straight forward way to do it. YMMV. Just saying that for me, the
native iBooks application works fine and I personally found it
preferable to the Nook or any of the various ereader apps I tried on my
Toshiba Thrive tablet. Again, as all this is subjective opinion, YMMV

OR, if I am home and access the home network, I just point
Safari to the Calibre server and I can search, browse, etc. all my books.
Click on the one I want and tell Safari to open it in iBooks.

I only use Calibre for (one-time) conversions. My library is mirrored
(currently on two drives, but that can change) as are most of my
"precious" files. But, I have a "distributed" RAID array, of sorts,
(too "involved" to discuss here) and just copy the file(s) of interest
onto whatever device needs them (e.g., the tablet PC if I am just
trying to read something)

That's my situation as well. Books on the iPad are there only until I
finish reading them. Then I delete them. I don't worry about backups
on the iPad as I have have them all stored (and managed by Calibre) on
the NAS at home.

Once you accept it either in email or Safari a copy is stored on the
iPad until
such time as you delete it in iBooks.

So, what happens when you run out of disk? Can/do you move that copy
off to a backup archive?

My iPad is one of those fairly rare 128GB models so that's not an issue
for me, but regardless I only "store" current content there or what's
"stockpiled" for my current reading desires. At most there may be
twenty books on the iPad at any one time (10 - 15 MB).

fine for me. With the cover you can hold the Nook or iPad as if you
were
holding a book. Makes getting used to the eReader very simple.

I don't understand why the "cover" makes a difference? E.g., with my
tablet
PC, I just set it on my lap, counter/desk or against my propped up legs
(if reading in bed). Holding it in my arms would be tiring as it is
rather large...

I can't see how putting it *in* something would make it any better (?)

Depends on the size of the tablet or reader I suppose. That tip was
given to
me by a friend who suggested that having a cover to hold it like a
traditional
book is a more natural transition to an ereader from a paper book. It
worked
well for me, but, as always, YMMV

How is it "inadequate" without the cover? Too small? Too slippery?

I.e., does your iPad have/need a cover for similar reasons?

It's strictly, I suppose, a matter of personal preference. I have a
cover for all my devices and like them. They all function pretty much
the same.

1. Protects the screen when not in use

2. Allows me to hold the device in two hands as if I was reading a book
in the conventional fashion (as opposed to reading a book with the pages
on the left and the cover folded back upon itself (hard to describe but
take a magazine and fold/hold it so only a single page is viewable at
one time and maybe you'll see what I mean)

3. If I want to read it like a magazine folded over, I can as the cover
will fold back on itself exposing only the screen of the iPad allowing
me to hold it single handed.

4. The case I have also swivels on the back so I can use it to form an
easel and set the iPad in a reading position on my desk or table.