Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default eReader options

On 01/14/2016 06:22 AM, Don Y wrote:
I'm not sure if the titles she reads are strictly on the NYT best seller
list
but they are most definitely "new issues". We can't, for example, get a
title issued in the past 12 months through interlibrary loan (if our
library
doesn't have the title). So, you're pretty much stuck waiting for them
to buy some copies -- and *hoping* they do!

I know the feeling... This library buys quite a few new books but they,
properly I suppose, cater to the taste of the clientele. Several times
I've went looking for more classic titles that I know they had only to
find they were sold off to make room for more vampires.

New titles are cheaper in ebooks than paper. Amazon did a good job of
price busting; the publishers were not happy.

What I particularly enjoy is the number of obscure books that are
available in electronic format.

Some models are 3G. The 'special offers' are very non-intrusive.
Basically you
get a varying selection of ads when the device is turned off, not some
popup
every time you turn the page.

(sigh)

"This toilet paper brought to you by..."

The ads are mostly for book titles. iirc the 'special offers' model was
$30 or so cheaper and I'm not bothered by something that goes away when
I turn the device on. epaper is like an etch-a-sketch -- the display
doesn't go off with the power.

Then, the document and state are stored in the cloud?

Yes. If you delete a book from the device it still remains 'archived' in
the cloud and can be retrieved. I should do some deleting. One weakness
I've found with the model I have is the lack of an effective way to
organize the titles. Basically, the last accessed is first on the list.