Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why is raw honey from Costco twice as expensive as Filtered ?

Seems to me that raw honey, which is honey right out of the
hive, should be *cheaper* than filtered honey, which is honey
that has been post processed.

But, pricing is the other way around.
Why?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 13:54:29 -0500, "Paul M. Cook"
wrote:

Seems to me that raw honey, which is honey right out of the
hive, should be *cheaper* than filtered honey, which is honey
that has been post processed.

But, pricing is the other way around.
Why?

"Natural", "organic" and anything else perceived to be healthy always
costs more. It is probably because the processing allows it to ship
and store better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Paul M. Cook wrote:
Seems to me that raw honey, which is honey right out of the
hive, should be *cheaper* than filtered honey, which is honey
that has been post processed.

But, pricing is the other way around.
Why?

Raw honey is filtered of course. It means unpasteurized. Like raw
milk(which is illegal to sell) I always use raw honey supplied by
bee keeper. THat is good choice. You may get stung if you eat real raw
out of bee hive B4 filtered.
Posted to alt.home.repair

| Seems to me that raw honey, which is honey right out of the
| hive, should be *cheaper* than filtered honey, which is honey
| that has been post processed.
|
| But, pricing is the other way around.
| Why?

You didn't mention anything about brands or
source, but there are two possible issues I know
of: There's been an ongoing scandal in recent
years with 1) Chinese honey being adulterated
with heavy metals and 2) honey being thinned
out with sugar syrup. With the very highly refined
stuff it's very difficult to tell where it's from or
whether it's been thinned, because there's very
little left other than sugar and water.

So it makes sense that raw honey, from an
accountable source (both in terms of flowers
and location) would be more expensive than
dubious, refined sugar syrup packaged by big
distributors like Sue Bee or the other companies
that sell pale, refined honey in cute, plastic
"bear" bottles, because that honey might very
well be Chinese honey rejected by other countries
and/or watered down product.

If you want to research you can look up terms
like "chinese honey scandal".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/01/2016 12:42 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Raw honey is filtered of course. It means unpasteurized. Like raw
milk(which is illegal to sell) I always use raw honey supplied by
bee keeper. THat is good choice. You may get stung if you eat real raw
out of bee hive B4 filtered.

My jar specifically says unfiltered.It has a slightly crystalline feel
and never has been pourable even in August heat. It will dissolve in hot
liquids and can be spread but no way is it going to work in a plastic
bear squeeze bottle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman wrote:
On 01/01/2016 12:42 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Raw honey is filtered of course. It means unpasteurized. Like raw
milk(which is illegal to sell) I always use raw honey supplied by
bee keeper. THat is good choice. You may get stung if you eat real raw
out of bee hive B4 filtered.

My jar specifically says unfiltered.It has a slightly crystalline feel
and never has been pourable even in August heat. It will dissolve in hot
liquids and can be spread but no way is it going to work in a plastic
bear squeeze bottle.

I deal with two bee keepers one near the city one further out in the
farming area. As far as I know they run it thru something like coarse
cheese cloth to filter out pieces of bee hive, wing of bees like that.
Pure honey is very strong and depending on which flower nectar it is
coming, has different smell. Like buck wheat flower, wild flower, Acacia
flower, etc. We never use white sugar, some times brown raw sugar we use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RonNNN wrote:
In article , says...

Paul M. Cook wrote:
Seems to me that raw honey, which is honey right out of the
hive, should be *cheaper* than filtered honey, which is honey
that has been post processed.

But, pricing is the other way around.
Why?

Raw honey is filtered of course. It means unpasteurized. Like raw
milk(which is illegal to sell) I always use raw honey supplied by
bee keeper. THat is good choice. You may get stung if you eat real raw
out of bee hive B4 filtered.

Check your facts concerning raw milk.

http://milk.procon.org/view.resource...ourceID=005192

I live up here in Canada. There is more than 10 year long battle going
on in Ontario farmer against government. He is waging the battle with
donated fund who support him. There in some cases black market raw milk
but never in grocery stores.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mayayana wrote:
[...]

I expect to harvest some honey from my hives next summer . This will be
mainly wildflower plus whatever else is blooming and producing nectar out
in the woods - there is no commercial ag withing their foraging range . The
price will be around $20 per pint plus shipping ...
I will post availibility when I harvest - probably in midsummer . This
will be raw honey filtered thru cheesecloth .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Seems to me that raw honey, which is honey right out of the
hive, should be *cheaper* than filtered honey, which is honey
that has been post processed.

But, pricing is the other way around.
Why?

... shipping cost?

It's very hard for the bees to fly in from China. The bees are usually too tired to make much honey after they arrive. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Buzz Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , says...

RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
says...

Paul M. Cook wrote:
Seems to me that raw honey, which is honey right out of the
hive, should be *cheaper* than filtered honey, which is honey
that has been post processed.

But, pricing is the other way around.
Why?

Raw honey is filtered of course. It means unpasteurized. Like raw
milk(which is illegal to sell) I always use raw honey supplied by
bee keeper. THat is good choice. You may get stung if you eat real raw
out of bee hive B4 filtered.

Check your facts concerning raw milk.

http://milk.procon.org/view.resource...ourceID=005192

I live up here in Canada. There is more than 10 year long battle going
on in Ontario farmer against government. He is waging the battle with
donated fund who support him. There in some cases black market raw milk
but never in grocery stores.

My bad. I sometimes forget the Internet is a global thing! I suppose we
all take for granted that the laws we each live by "is what it is".

--
RonNNN
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 14:41:27 -0500, gfretwell wrote:

"Natural", "organic" and anything else perceived to be healthy always
costs more. It is probably because the processing allows it to ship
and store better.

Interesting.

On the one hand, just calling it "organic" (which they do), can raise
the price by differentiating the honey from the "other" honey.

But, I wonder if raw honey stores any better than filtered honey.

They're both of very high osmotic pressure, which is mostly what keeps
the bacteria and mold at bay.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 12:42:50 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

Raw honey is filtered of course. It means unpasteurized. Like raw
milk(which is illegal to sell) I always use raw honey supplied by
bee keeper. THat is good choice. You may get stung if you eat real raw
out of bee hive B4 filtered.

The bottle from Costco says right there on the label that it's
totally unprocessed. Straight off the hive it says (from "American bees").

If you want, I can snap a photo of the label to prove that.

So, it seems to be as cheap as it can get (from "American bees" anyway).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 14:48:22 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

I deal with two bee keepers one near the city one further out in the
farming area. As far as I know they run it thru something like coarse
cheese cloth to filter out pieces of bee hive, wing of bees like that.
Pure honey is very strong and depending on which flower nectar it is
coming, has different smell. Like buck wheat flower, wild flower, Acacia
flower, etc. We never use white sugar, some times brown raw sugar we use.

I already used up the "Clover" filtered honey from Costco so I don't
have the bottle anymore.

But it specifically says it's from bees who gather nectar from Clovers.

The raw honey bottle doesn't say what the plant nectars were, only
that it was 'sourced in California, bottled in Texas'.

Here is a front and back picture of the bottle I just recently bought:
https://i.imgur.com/dZ6B5vm.gif

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 14:28:19 -0700, rbowman wrote:

My jar specifically says unfiltered.It has a slightly crystalline feel
and never has been pourable even in August heat. It will dissolve in hot
liquids and can be spread but no way is it going to work in a plastic
bear squeeze bottle.

Here is a picture of my jar of raw honey from Costco, bought just last week.
https://i.imgur.com/dZ6B5vm.gif

It's twice the price of the filtered stuff from Costco for some reason.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 15:56:46 -0500, Mayayana wrote:

If you want to research you can look up terms
like "chinese honey scandal".

I know a little about the Chinese scandal, but only enough to be
dangerous.

I may be placing my trust in the wrong company, but, I sort of
trust Costco that they're not selling Chinese honey.

I'm only comparing the Costco "Clover" filtered honey with the
Costco Nature Nates raw honey (which is twice the price per ounce).
https://i.imgur.com/dZ6B5vm.gif

Of the Chinese scandal, I only know half the story, which is that
without the pollens in filtered honey, they can't tell where it
came from.

But the other half of the story is what's wrong with the Chinese
filtered honey versus the Costco filtered honey? I don't know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 16:30:03 -0600, Terry Coombs wrote:

I expect to harvest some honey from my hives next summer . This will be
mainly wildflower plus whatever else is blooming and producing nectar out
in the woods - there is no commercial ag withing their foraging range . The
price will be around $20 per pint plus shipping ...
I will post availibility when I harvest - probably in midsummer . This
will be raw honey filtered thru cheesecloth .

You may know the answer to another question I have about this honey:
https://i.imgur.com/dZ6B5vm.gif

What do those strange hieroglyphic symbols mean?

There is no word "organic" on it, nor any "USDA" symbol.
But, there is a big "D" with a small "k" inside of it with "pareve" below that.

Similarly, my Costco "Kirkland" Maple Syrup has strange markings too!
https://i.imgur.com/Hkxts0N.gif

It has a big "U" with a circle around it and it says "USDA/Organic"
and "Eco/Cert".

Notice that NONE of the symbols are common between the raw unfiltered honey
and the pure right-from-the-tree maple syrup.

You'd think they'd have common symbols since they are both presumably
pure products - but the symbols are totally different.

Anyone know what they mean?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 14:57:38 -0800, Uncle Monster wrote:

It's very hard for the bees to fly in from China.
The bees are usually too tired to make much honey
after they arrive. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

These bees are "American bees".
Says so right on the label!
https://i.imgur.com/dZ6B5vm.gif

They are in the California Union, apparently, since the honey is
"source from California" according to the label.

However, they fly the honey to Texas for packing, so, maybe the
bees get tired going from California to Texas!

Posted to alt.home.repair

| I may be placing my trust in the wrong company, but, I sort of
| trust Costco that they're not selling Chinese honey.

Why would you trust that? If it's highly refined
honey then even if Costco is honest they have no
way of confirming the source. Since it's store
brand it's likely that they buy it from a big wholesale
distributor, which may very well deal in tanker ships
that arrive and pump their stock into giant holding
tanks, to then be sold by the tanker-truck-load to
retailers or brand name honey packagers. That's the
problem with store brand. It's also an increasing
problem with international commerce.

I saw something
recently about olive oil scams, and junk olive oil being
shipped through Greece just so it could get a Greek
label. I saw another article about how much fish sold is
not the fish they say it is. A scientist was testing the
DNA. One case was a fish sandwich shack in Florida
with a sign saying the fish was local. The fish sandwiches
turned out to be fresh water giant catfish from Vietnam.
(Agent orange, anyone?) When asked about the sign
saying the fish was local, the proprietor said something
like, "It is local. I buy it from the guy up the street."

If you want to trust there needs to be some basis
for that. If you buy Ed's wildflower honey from Ed's
Honey Farm in Elmira, NY, and Ed provides a way to
contact him, as well as a website, then you *might*
be able to trust Ed. If Costco deserved your trust
they'd know about the honey they sell, they'd tell you,
and they'd make sure the honey producer was clearly
credited on the label. The fact that it's store brand
indicates that the producer is not taking responsibility
*and* that Costco is confident you don't care about
that.

| https://i.imgur.com/dZ6B5vm.gif

Sorry, I can't see images on that site.

| But the other half of the story is what's wrong with the Chinese
| filtered honey versus the Costco filtered honey? I don't know.

It might be watered down. It might contain toxins.
And the Costco honey might be the Chinese honey.
Personally I'd assume it *is*. they target people looking
for bargains who don't ask questions when they have the
proverbial 50% off stereos that fell off the back of a
truck. That's the perfect venue for Chinese honey. The
only question would be how many laundering levels would
Costco want in place in order to accept it. As noted above,
I would guess that they very well may have no way of
knowing exactly what their direct supplier is selling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 18:50:40 -0500, "Paul M. Cook"
wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/dZ6B5vm.gif

Wow. "Gluten Free". How would gluten get in there?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/dZ6B5vm.gif

Wow. "Gluten Free". How would gluten get in there?

For example wheat naturally contains Gluten.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/01/2016 04:45 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
I already used up the "Clover" filtered honey from Costco so I don't
have the bottle anymore.

http://glorybee.com/honey/honey-jars...-blossom-honey

That's what I got at CostCo.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mayayana wrote:
| I may be placing my trust in the wrong company, but, I sort of
| trust Costco that they're not selling Chinese honey.

Why would you trust that? If it's highly refined
honey then even if Costco is honest they have no
way of confirming the source. Since it's store
brand it's likely that they buy it from a big wholesale
distributor, which may very well deal in tanker ships
that arrive and pump their stock into giant holding
tanks, to then be sold by the tanker-truck-load to
retailers or brand name honey packagers. That's the
problem with store brand. It's also an increasing
problem with international commerce.

I saw something
recently about olive oil scams, and junk olive oil being
shipped through Greece just so it could get a Greek
label. I saw another article about how much fish sold is
not the fish they say it is. A scientist was testing the
DNA. One case was a fish sandwich shack in Florida
with a sign saying the fish was local. The fish sandwiches
turned out to be fresh water giant catfish from Vietnam.
(Agent orange, anyone?) When asked about the sign
saying the fish was local, the proprietor said something
like, "It is local. I buy it from the guy up the street."

If you want to trust there needs to be some basis
for that. If you buy Ed's wildflower honey from Ed's
Honey Farm in Elmira, NY, and Ed provides a way to
contact him, as well as a website, then you *might*
be able to trust Ed. If Costco deserved your trust
they'd know about the honey they sell, they'd tell you,
and they'd make sure the honey producer was clearly
credited on the label. The fact that it's store brand
indicates that the producer is not taking responsibility
*and* that Costco is confident you don't care about
that.

| https://i.imgur.com/dZ6B5vm.gif

Sorry, I can't see images on that site.

| But the other half of the story is what's wrong with the Chinese
| filtered honey versus the Costco filtered honey? I don't know.

It might be watered down. It might contain toxins.
And the Costco honey might be the Chinese honey.
Personally I'd assume it *is*. they target people looking
for bargains who don't ask questions when they have the
proverbial 50% off stereos that fell off the back of a
truck. That's the perfect venue for Chinese honey. The
only question would be how many laundering levels would
Costco want in place in order to accept it. As noted above,
I would guess that they very well may have no way of
knowing exactly what their direct supplier is selling.

IMO, At the best the honey could come from bee keeper co-op.
I never buy honey from store. I personally buy from independent
small operation bee keeper who usually started out as amateur,
ended up producing more honey, not enough to commercialize but can
share with some folks. Concern for any Chinese food stuff is purity
free of heavy metal and PCB or other contaminants.

Korea imports lot of them from China, one story, they mixed in lead
pellets into bulk dried hot pepper since it is sold by the weight. In
Korean market any thing from China is less expensive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/01/2016 02:48 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
I deal with two bee keepers one near the city one further out in the
farming area. As far as I know they run it thru something like coarse
cheese cloth to filter out pieces of bee hive, wing of bees like that.
Pure honey is very strong and depending on which flower nectar it is
coming, has different smell. Like buck wheat flower, wild flower, Acacia
flower, etc. We never use white sugar, some times brown raw sugar we use.

http://blog.crystalsrawhoney.com/raw...ney-raw-honey/

That page is a little ambiguous but I assume unfiltered honey is what is
drawn straight from the extractor like unfiltered cider is straight from
the press.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Mayayana wrote:

IMO, At the best the honey could come from bee keeper co-op.
I never buy honey from store. I personally buy from independent
small operation bee keeper who usually started out as amateur,
ended up producing more honey, not enough to commercialize but can
share with some folks. Concern for any Chinese food stuff is purity
free of heavy metal and PCB or other contaminants.

Probably the best way to buy honey. I have heard that local honey can help
reduce hay feaver in some people.

From what I understand honey will not spoil if it is not 'watered down'.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/01/2016 04:56 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
You may know the answer to another question I have about this honey:
https://i.imgur.com/dZ6B5vm.gif

What do those strange hieroglyphic symbols mean?

There is no word "organic" on it, nor any "USDA" symbol.
But, there is a big "D" with a small "k" inside of it with "pareve" below that.

Similarly, my Costco "Kirkland" Maple Syrup has strange markings too!
https://i.imgur.com/Hkxts0N.gif

It has a big "U" with a circle around it and it says "USDA/Organic"
and "Eco/Cert".

http://www.kashrut.com/agencies/
http://www.dallaskosher.org/
https://oukosher.org/

You'll be happy to know your honey is kosher. Probably halal too if
you're a Muslim. Pareve means it's neither fleishig (meat) or milchig
(dairy) so it can be used sweeten your tea with milk or make a sauce for
your ribs (beef, of course)

You might not be so happy to know the price you paid for the honey
includes the fee charged by one of the kosher concerns to certify the
company isn't lubricating the extractor with lard or something.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/01/2016 04:58 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
However, they fly the honey to Texas for packing, so, maybe the
bees get tired going from California to Texas!

No, they just ship the whole hives by flatbed truck. And when you wreck
one of those, doesn't everybody have fun:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ut...79N6WN20111024
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/dZ6B5vm.gif

Wow. "Gluten Free". How would gluten get in there?

For example wheat naturally contains Gluten.

How much nectar does rye, wheat, and barley have
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/01/2016 04:30 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
So, it seems to be as cheap as it can get (from "American bees" anyway).

Are those good, hardworking North American bees, or did some of those
shifty, undocumented Latin American bees slip in?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote, on Fri, 01 Jan 2016 16:18:37 -0800:

Wow. "Gluten Free". How would gluten get in there?

Trans fat free too I'll bet!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/dZ6B5vm.gif

Wow. "Gluten Free". How would gluten get in there?

Same reasoning why peanut butter is cholesterol free?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 17:39:10 -0700, rbowman wrote:

http://glorybee.com/honey/honey-jars...-blossom-honey

That's what I got at CostCo.

That's not what my Costco store sells as unfiltered clover honey.

I only have one jar at a time, so I can't snap a picture for you
of the other two types I get.

Sometimes I get the small bear-shaped jar as shown in this pictu
http://costcocouple.com/kirkland-sig...organic-honey/

Other times I get the much larger (and cheaper) Kirkland brand:
http://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Signa.../dp/B007F2EQEW

Both of these seem to be "filtered" honey, which, inexplicably, is
half as expensive as the raw honey I currently have from Costco.
http://grannysvitalvittles.com/wp-co...3/07/honey.png

Apparently the stuff I have is ONLY sold at Costco northern California:
http://naturenates.com/norcal-honey/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 18:04:36 -0700, rbowman wrote:

On 01/01/2016 04:30 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
So, it seems to be as cheap as it can get (from "American bees" anyway).

Are those good, hardworking North American bees, or did some of those
shifty, undocumented Latin American bees slip in?

They only allow bees which have a tiny red-white-blue American Flag
tattoo on their wings! That tattoo is applied by the Federal Census
Bureau when the bees are checked for citizenship papers, during the U.S.
Census.

Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman wrote:

No, they just ship the whole hives by flatbed truck. And when you wreck
one of those, doesn't everybody have fun:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ut...79N6WN20111024

The whole story of how that particular Costco-only honey is made is here
http://naturenates.com/raw-unfiltered-honey/

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So, it seems to be as cheap as it can get (from "American bees" anyway).

Are those good, hardworking North American bees, or did some of those
shifty, undocumented Latin American bees slip in?

Undocumented grazers?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Jan 2016 16:58:39 -0600, RonNNN wrote:

In article , says...

RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
says...

Paul M. Cook wrote:
Seems to me that raw honey, which is honey right out of the
hive, should be *cheaper* than filtered honey, which is honey
that has been post processed.

But, pricing is the other way around.
Why?

Raw honey is filtered of course. It means unpasteurized. Like raw
milk(which is illegal to sell) I always use raw honey supplied by
bee keeper. THat is good choice. You may get stung if you eat real raw
out of bee hive B4 filtered.

Check your facts concerning raw milk.

http://milk.procon.org/view.resource...ourceID=005192

Ron, I really want to try this cow-sharing, but I can't get my modem
to work right.

I live up here in Canada. There is more than 10 year long battle going
on in Ontario farmer against government. He is waging the battle with
donated fund who support him. There in some cases black market raw milk
but never in grocery stores.

My bad. I sometimes forget the Internet is a global thing! I suppose we
all take for granted that the laws we each live by "is what it is".

Both sides did that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 18:00:00 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 01/01/2016 04:56 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
You may know the answer to another question I have about this honey:
https://i.imgur.com/dZ6B5vm.gif

What do those strange hieroglyphic symbols mean?

There is no word "organic" on it, nor any "USDA" symbol.
But, there is a big "D" with a small "k" inside of it with "pareve" below that.

Similarly, my Costco "Kirkland" Maple Syrup has strange markings too!
https://i.imgur.com/Hkxts0N.gif

It has a big "U" with a circle around it and it says "USDA/Organic"
and "Eco/Cert".

http://www.kashrut.com/agencies/
http://www.dallaskosher.org/

Yes, the big D with the k inside is Dallas Kosher.

https://oukosher.org/

And the OU is the OU.

You'll be happy to know your honey is kosher. Probably halal too if
you're a Muslim. Pareve means it's neither fleishig (meat) or milchig
(dairy) so it can be used sweeten your tea with milk or make a sauce for
your ribs (beef, of course)

You might not be so happy to know the price you paid for the honey
includes the fee charged by one of the kosher concerns to certify the
company isn't lubricating the extractor with lard or something.

Why do you say something like this? The cost of inspecting a honey
facility is probably less than a penny a bottle. It's nothing like
meat where inspection has to be continuous and adds, with the other
requirements for kosher meat, several dollars a pound to the cost of
meat.

For a product like honey, especially since it has only one ingredient,
the inspector would only have to visit once or twice a year for a
couple hours, if that much. The first time, they'd show him around
the plant, he'd learn how honey was bottled there, he'd see that there
are no other ingredients (He'd probably already have learned that
before his first visit.), maybe they'd have a little tea with honey ,
and he'd be done. After that, it would take even less time for the
inspection.

Unflavored honey, as this product is, wouldn't even require inspection
except that it's heated (what difference that makes, I'm not sure) and
this company probaby solicited the inspection in order to increase
sales, which they wouldn't do if the price went up much.

http://www.dallaskosher.org/commercial
NORTH DALLAS HONEY/NATURE NATE'S
6573 County Road 124
McKinney, TX 75071
(214-701-3443)
With offices in Frisco, TX North Dallas Honey Company has
been providing local, raw and unfiltered honey for you and your family
since 1972. They have partnered with North Texas beekeepers to
provide top-quality, local raw honey. Their Texas honey is gently
warmed and strained through cheesecloth to remove the "bee knees,"
leaving the enzymes and the antioxidants of the honey. For constancy,
they blend a variety of honeys from honey-producing plants, including
clover, vetch, wildflower, and mesquite.
This refers to all their products and not especially the one in
this thread.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , NONONOmisc07
@bigfoot.com says...

On Fri, 1 Jan 2016 16:58:39 -0600, RonNNN wrote:

In article , says...

RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
says...

Paul M. Cook wrote:
[...]

I know, and admit I was only thinking of what is legal where I live.

--
RonNNN
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Mayayana wrote:

IMO, At the best the honey could come from bee keeper co-op.
I never buy honey from store. I personally buy from independent
small operation bee keeper who usually started out as amateur,
ended up producing more honey, not enough to commercialize but can
share with some folks. Concern for any Chinese food stuff is purity
free of heavy metal and PCB or other contaminants.

Probably the best way to buy honey. I have heard that local honey
can help reduce hay feaver in some people.

From what I understand honey will not spoil if it is not 'watered
down'.

Local honey will contain local pollen in miniscule amounts . This can
desenzitize SOME people - and AFAK you can't filter it out . By law honey
can contain no more that 16.5% (I think that's the number) water , more than
that and the honey can ferment . A good thing if you're making mead , but
for other uses not so much .
There has been so much said here about unfiltered honey not being "raw"
honey . That's not the criterion . Raw honey , just like raw milk , has not
been pasteurized . Heating honey to the temps used to pasteurize it destroys
all the microorganisms that give honey it's "medicinal" properties . IMO the
only use for pasteurized honey is for children under a year old , because
occasionally botulinim spores occcur in it and can make the wee ones sick .

--
Snag