Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why is raw honey from Costco twice as expensive as Filtered ?

Mayayana wrote:
Seems to me that raw honey, which is honey right out of the
hive, should be *cheaper* than filtered honey, which is honey
that has been post processed.

But, pricing is the other way around.
Why?

You didn't mention anything about brands or
source, but there are two possible issues I know
of: There's been an ongoing scandal in recent
years with 1) Chinese honey being adulterated
with heavy metals and 2) honey being thinned
out with sugar syrup. With the very highly refined
stuff it's very difficult to tell where it's from or
whether it's been thinned, because there's very
little left other than sugar and water.

So it makes sense that raw honey, from an
accountable source (both in terms of flowers
and location) would be more expensive than
dubious, refined sugar syrup packaged by big
distributors like Sue Bee or the other companies
that sell pale, refined honey in cute, plastic
"bear" bottles, because that honey might very
well be Chinese honey rejected by other countries
and/or watered down product.

If you want to research you can look up terms
like "chinese honey scandal".

I expect to harvest some honey from my hives next summer . This will be
mainly wildflower plus whatever else is blooming and producing nectar out
in the woods - there is no commercial ag withing their foraging range . The
price will be around $20 per pint plus shipping ...
I will post availibility when I harvest - probably in midsummer . This
will be raw honey filtered thru cheesecloth .
--
Snag