Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why is raw honey from Costco twice as expensive as Filtered ?

On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 18:13:06 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

My Southern grandmother,"Granny" from the hill country taught my mother how to cook Southern pecan pie. I was a chubby kid.?(?)?

[8~{} Uncle Pie Monster

The best peanut brittle comes from ancestors south of you - in the
wire grass areas of Black and Geneva, Alabama.

Hick-a- Billie's.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 2, 2016 at 4:11:38 PM UTC-6, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 16:03:46 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

On 1/2/2016 3:53 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 14:01:37 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

On 1/2/2016 1:52 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 11:27:52 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

When I was a kid
having a bottle of Karo syrup on the table was the hallmark of a low
rent, white trash existence.

Bah. You can make a damn good, lip smacking pecan pie with the dark
Karo "surp".

I've made many a pecan pie with that dark karo syrup! Been a few years,
tho.

Somewhere, I have a recipe from Alabamastain passed down from
generations. People rave about it. Sometimes I put a tad orange zest
in one.

I got my recipe from my grandmother who lived her whole life in Alabama!
It's a good pie, too.

My recipe came from a SIL, from her grandmother from 'Bama.

"Roll Tide"

My 71 year old invalid roommate is a huge Bama Football fan. I make sure the games are on his TV when they're played. Alabama plays in a bowl game on the 11th and he's excited about it. At 17, he was on his high school football team when he was in a car wreck and received a brain injury. He has very limited use of one side of his body so I handle the TV remote for him. He has trouble articulating what he want's to say and it's very frustrating for him but I make sure those football games are on for him. I'm an evil heretic who cares absolutely nothing about football so I'm in front of my TV or computer wearing my headphones. I have my own physical limitations but my buddy has been trapped in a malfunctioning body for 54 years so I feel that I'm fortunate. Besides, his big sister brings cookies and Diet Dew for me. ヽ()ノ

[8~{} Uncle Bama Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 18:39:09 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

[...]

I very seldom watch football. When I do it is the SEC games.

Took the wife to the grocery store the other day in the grocery
gitter. Some guy remarked about my Miami Hurricane cap and how he
played college ball. I wasn't interested. When I spoke of the SEC -
he backed off. I should have on my NASCAR cap

Go Gator's.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 01/02/2016 12:22 PM, Frank wrote:

Sea salt is also another one. Salt from sea water versus salt mine.
Both are still sodium chloride.

Mostly, yes, excepting sea salt also contains a few percent of Ca++, K+
and Mg++ salts as well whereas prepared table salt is essentially all
Na+. Most prepared table salt also has iodide added..

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Also sea salt has many organic matters. Mine salt is just pure salt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 14:11:27 -0800, Oren wrote:
My recipe came from a SIL, from her grandmother
from 'Bama.

"Roll Tide"

Yeah! Did you see their last game? A shut out!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I'm fortunate. Besides, his big sister brings cookies
and Diet Dew for me.=

Tell your room mate I said ROLLLLLL TIDE!!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/02/2016 10:44 PM, Muggles wrote:

Tell your room mate I said ROLLLLLL TIDE!!

Red tide?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 2, 2016 at 10:26:21 PM UTC-6, Tony Hwang wrote:
dpb wrote:
On 01/02/2016 12:22 PM, Frank wrote:
Sea salt is also another one. Salt from sea water versus salt mine.
Both are still sodium chloride.

Mostly, yes, excepting sea salt also contains a few percent of Ca++, K+
and Mg++ salts as well whereas prepared table salt is essentially all
Na+. Most prepared table salt also has iodide added..
--

Also sea salt has many organic matters. Mine salt is just pure salt.

Ya know, I wonder about pure table salt from a salt mine. Was it not a deposit from a primordial ocean? Now I must research it and find out WTF. (-_-)ゞ゛

[8~{} Uncle Salty Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 20:02:24 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 01/01/2016 06:34 PM, wrote:
Why do you say something like this? The cost of inspecting a honey
facility is probably less than a penny a bottle. It's nothing like
meat where inspection has to be continuous and adds, with the other
requirements for kosher meat, several dollars a pound to the cost of
meat.

Why should I pay even a penny to support some religious organization?

So don't. You won't be missed. But your unwillingness to spend a
penny on a religious organization, or a Jewish organization, is no
excuse for trying to give others the impression it costs more than it
does. I wouldn't be annoyed except that antisemites do this too,
specifically to create hostility towards Jews.

Will the Muslims be the next to see a nice scam in having a cresent M or

No, it's not a scam. Jews who keep kosher want an independent
inspection of the processed food they might buy, both because of
honest mistakes the producer can make, negligence, and even fraud.
(I'll bet in a different context, you wouldn't be very trusting of
corporate food makers.) For meat, poultry, bread, and wine,
inspection predates the USA's FDA by hundreds or probably thousands of
years.

When all the food Jews ate was made in their own kitchens or by people
they knew, then there was still local inspection of what's listed
above. But canning begain in the 1800's and by the 1920's and much
more so after WWII, national food brands and then prepared foods came
onto the market, and some of them sought out kosher inspection so they
could sell to a wider customer base.

BTW, my great-grandfather raised honey. About once a week, he'd take
some to the market to sell. It wasn't flavored and afaik didn't need
inspection, and in the small town he lived in, probably everyone knew
him and that he and his family kept kosher.

something on every container? I'm not interested in whether my honey,
coffee, salmon, or myriad other products are kosher or not.

So? Most people aren't.

Unfortunately it's out of my hands if producers want to cater to 2% or
less of the US population.

But you'll whine about it and try to mislead people as to how much it
costs.

And it's not just Jews who prefer to buy kosher food. These food
makers know what they're doing when they solicit certification.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 08:39:27 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Wayne Kerr wrote:
On 01/02/2016 06:28 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, January 1, 2016 at 11:00:48 PM UTC-6, rbowman wrote:

We used to have cattle rustlers -- now it's bee rustlers:

http://missoulanews.bigskypress.com/...nt?oid=2457621

Yea, we hang bee rustlers around here...... ?( ?_?)?

Bees produce honey as food stores for the hive during the long months
of winter when flowers aren't blooming and therefore little or no nectar
is
available to them.
So who protects the bees from the terrorists that rob the hives of
the bee's food supply? Would a good christian steal a bee's food
supply? What would Jesus do?

I'm one of those "terrorists" ... and a responsible beekeeper will always

He was making a joke, combining terrorist from another part of this
thread or a nearby thread with bees.

leave the bees enough for the winter or give them supplemental feed to bee
sure the girls have enough to make it over the winter and make brood when
spring arrives .
Don't know much about bees and beekeeping do ya ?

He was making a joke, but now you two have escalated to a full-fledged
fight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Wayne Kerr wrote:
[...]

There is an epidemic of the malady HIISY pronounced (hissy) which stands for "Humor and Irony Impairment Syndrome". People often have HIISY fits when they have no idea what's being discussed or the context of a discussion so they assume it's insulting, take offense and start howling about it. I see it all the time and it's dismaying because the offended individual failed to ask if the discussion was meant to be offensive or about them. (ง'̀-'́)ง

Have you hugged a beekeeper today? ヽ()ノ

[8~{} Uncle Stinging Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2016 8:50 AM, Wayne Kerr wrote:
Bees produce honey as food stores for the hive during the long months of
winter
when flowers aren't blooming and therefore little or no nectar is
available to them.

So who protects the bees from the terrorists that rob the hives of the
bee's food supply?
Would a good christian steal a bee's food supply? What would Jesus do?

IIRC, Jesus at honeycomb at least once.
Nest robber that he is.... guess we can
follow His example.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2016 6:53 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Corn syrup is so called double molecule sugar. Major contributor for
obesity. Real sugar is single molecule sugar.

https://cdavies.wordpress.com/2009/0...e-and-sucrose/

Sucrose, "table sugar" is a double ring.

Fructose / glucose is single ring.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/03/2016 07:28 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/2/2016 8:50 AM, Wayne Kerr wrote:
Bees produce honey as food stores for the hive during the long months of
winter
when flowers aren't blooming and therefore little or no nectar is
available to them.

So who protects the bees from the terrorists that rob the hives of the
bee's food supply?
Would a good christian steal a bee's food supply? What would Jesus do?

IIRC, Jesus at honeycomb at least once.
Nest robber that he is.... guess we can
follow His example.

And now we're sliding down the slippery slope of taking from others.

Just curious, would Jesus condone the veal industry practices?

Did Jesus eat foie gras?

Posted to alt.home.repair

| Why should I pay even a penny to support some religious organization?

I don't think it usually works out that way. If you
buy a bottle of honey marked "pareve" it's probably
$3.99... or $5.79... or something like that. The non-
marked bottle is not going to be $5.78. You're not
*really* paying for the mark.

On the other hand, declaring purity or blessedness
*has* always been one of the central rackets of
religious establishments. Buying blessings is well
established in the Catholic church, for instance. As
with plumbers, priests can drive the price up by
controlling the number of licensed blessers. Kosher
law can also serve as a form of protection racket
for the people who don't dare allow the proverbial
black cat of treif [non-kosher food] to cross their
path.

Given that sort of thing, maybe you feel strongly that
religion is destructive, like the "new atheists" who think
scientific materialism will save us and that religion has
caused all wars? In that case I could see why you
wouldn't want to risk supporting religion mongerers.

Personally I find that view to be a particularly
naive and simplistic brand of homemade religion. If we
reject religion then aren't we practicing the same
approach of taking sides against an "other" that
religion is faulted for?
Modern technophiles are hoping to save their necks by
cheering for the right team, just like some religious people
are. In that sense science becomes another superstition.
The most notable difference is that the science followers
aim low. Religious people often hope to know God and view
their lives as being dedicated to that work. Science
followers hope only to extend their lives and discover
a more delicious flavorant to put on popcorn. They
accept a simplistic, concretist view of reality and
essentially subscribe to the irrational view that whoever
dies with the most toys, and pleasurable experiences,
wins. The great danger with science followers is that
they fervently believe themselves to be immune to irrational
belief. (There are an awfully lot of people who say
they believe that when they die, that's it. They are their
body. Their soul or thoughts are mere chemical reactions.
There is no meaning. We're just vehicles for DNA to
reproduce itself, floating around on a rock in the universe.
Yet those same people spend a fortune to pick their funeral
trappings and gravestone. When we see such fancy caskets
used by ancient Egyptians we say the silly fools thought
they were taking their worldly comforts to an afterlife.
But us? No. We're rationalists. We just like a good casket.

I buy kosher salt. I like the big flakes. It sprinkles
better. My other requirement with salt is that it
not contain additives of aluminum, cyanide, or any
other idiotic thing that someone thought would be
clever to include. Interestingly, kosher doesn't seem
to necessarily mean without toxins, in this case. It
just means the flakes are big.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RonNNN laid this down on his screen :
In article , says...

Paul M. Cook wrote:
Seems to me that raw honey, which is honey right out of the
hive, should be *cheaper* than filtered honey, which is honey
that has been post processed.

But, pricing is the other way around.
Why?

Raw honey is filtered of course. It means unpasteurized. Like raw
milk(which is illegal to sell) I always use raw honey supplied by
bee keeper. THat is good choice. You may get stung if you eat real raw
out of bee hive B4 filtered.

Check your facts concerning raw milk.

http://milk.procon.org/view.resource...ourceID=005192

quote
States may adopt their own laws on raw milk sales. However, at the
federal level, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) bans the
interstate sale or distribution of raw milk. All milk sold across state
lines must be pasteurized and meet the standards of the US Pasteurized
Milk Ordinance.
end quote/

Gawd you are sto0pid, ronnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Jan 2016 09:45:38 -0800, "Eagle"
wrote:

quote
States may adopt their own laws on raw milk sales. However, at the
federal level, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) bans the
interstate sale or distribution of raw milk. All milk sold across state
lines must be pasteurized and meet the standards of the US Pasteurized
Milk Ordinance.
end quote/

Feds have their nose in everything.

Amish Raw Milk Trial

http://modernfarmer.com/2013/05/4-questions-raised-by-the-amish-raw-milk-trial/

:-\
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The only game I watch is Alabama football. I've even taught my dog to
give me a "high Paw" every time they score a TD!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/3/2016 12:12 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 01/02/2016 10:44 PM, Muggles wrote:

Tell your room mate I said ROLLLLLL TIDE!!

Red tide?

hmmm Haven't heard of them being referred to as "red tide".

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
On 1/3/2016 12:12 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 01/02/2016 10:44 PM, Muggles wrote:

Tell your room mate I said ROLLLLLL TIDE!!

Red tide?

hmmm Haven't heard of them being referred to as "red tide".

Ennit "Crimson Tide" ?

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

wrote:

[...]

Please note, that as the premier university in the state of Florida,
most graduates would not have an inappropriate apostrophe. Clearly Oren
is not a Gator.

Go Gators.

I am currently bleeding orange blue over the Citrus Bowl loss to Michigan.

Watch Big Trouble: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I0K-ymOTS4
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 12:23:48 -0800, sms
wrote:

Please note, that as the premier university in the state of Florida,
most graduates would not have an inappropriate apostrophe. Clearly Oren
is not a Gator.

Go Gators.

Quit your bitchin'.

Gator's Dockside:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gator's_Dockside
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/03/2016 11:15 AM, Muggles wrote:
On 1/3/2016 12:12 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 01/02/2016 10:44 PM, Muggles wrote:

Tell your room mate I said ROLLLLLL TIDE!!

Red tide?

hmmm Haven't heard of them being referred to as "red tide".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_tide

Red, crimson, same thing ain't it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Jan 2016 13:42:02 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 01/03/2016 11:15 AM, Muggles wrote:
On 1/3/2016 12:12 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 01/02/2016 10:44 PM, Muggles wrote:

Tell your room mate I said ROLLLLLL TIDE!!

Red tide?

hmmm Haven't heard of them being referred to as "red tide".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_tide

Red, crimson, same thing ain't it?

No. Red Tide is an algal bloom. Kills fish in the Gulf of Mexico -
fish die, wash ashore and stink. Messes up fresh seafood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_tide#Overview

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 07:00:07 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote in

but I
do take honey , being sure to leave them enough to feed themselves over
the cold/dearth months when they can't forage for nectar

Just curious. I'm a city boy so know nothing about this. How do you
know how much honey to leave them for the winter? Trial and error?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/28/2017 2:39 PM, CRNG wrote:
On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 07:00:07 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote in

but I
do take honey , being sure to leave them enough to feed themselves over
the cold/dearth months when they can't forage for nectar

Just curious. I'm a city boy so know nothing about this. How do you
know how much honey to leave them for the winter? Trial and error?

It depends on the size of the colony , but there are general guidelines
.. With 2 deep and one medium box on , I like to have my hives weighing
around 90-110 lbs in late November . They don't eat so much when it's
cold - under 40° - but it takes a LOT of resources to "brood up" in the
spring . Population contracts in late summer/into fall , then around
late February (here , other places timing might be different) they start
to build up again for the spring nectar "flow" . Peak population in my
hives is probably around 35,000 to 45,000 bees . Takes a lot of bees to
bring in all that nectar and pollen !

--

Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-06-28, Terry Coombs wrote:
You'd have a hard time finding anything but unfiltered raw honey
around here . Processed honey is a city thing ...

Raw or processed, I really don't see why anyone would want to eat
gunk that comes out of bugs. Ugh.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Don't talk to cops! -- http://www.DontTalkToCops.com
Badges don't grant extra rights -- http://www.CopBlock.org
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-06-28, Terry Coombs wrote:
You'd have a hard time finding anything but unfiltered raw honey
around here . Processed honey is a city thing ...

Raw or processed, I really don't see why anyone would want to eat
gunk that comes out of bugs. Ugh.

Do you take pills? East M & Ms? A lot of pills, candy, fruits are
coated with the excretion of the Lac bug. Same stuff used to finish
furniture.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-06-28, Terry Coombs wrote:
You'd have a hard time finding anything but unfiltered raw honey
around here . Processed honey is a city thing ...

Raw or processed, I really don't see why anyone would want to eat
gunk that comes out of bugs. Ugh.

Yer choice bubba . Mine too , and this year's spring crop is awesome
.. Very mild flavor , light floral aroma . Great on fresh baked bread
slathered with real butter . The wife says it really enhances the flavor
of her morning tea .

--

Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-06-28, Terry Coombs wrote:
You'd have a hard time finding anything but unfiltered raw honey
around here . Processed honey is a city thing ...

Raw or processed, I really don't see why anyone would want to eat
gunk that comes out of bugs. Ugh.

Yer choice bubba . Mine too , and this year's spring crop is awesome .
Very mild flavor , light floral aroma . Great on fresh baked bread
slathered with real butter . The wife says it really enhances the flavor
of her morning tea .

oh STOP!! I love fresh honey.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-06-28, Terry Coombs wrote:
You'd have a hard time finding anything but unfiltered raw honey
around here . Processed honey is a city thing ...

Raw or processed, I really don't see why anyone would want to eat
gunk that comes out of bugs. Ugh.

Yah, honey is essentially bee vomit...and then there's the blood glucose
and insulin spike followed by coronary artery disease thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-06-28, Terry Coombs wrote:
You'd have a hard time finding anything but unfiltered raw honey
around here . Processed honey is a city thing ...

Raw or processed, I really don't see why anyone would want to eat
gunk that comes out of bugs. Ugh.

Yah, honey is essentially bee vomit...and then there's the blood
glucose and insulin spike followed by coronary artery disease thing.

Wah wah wah , so don't eat it .

--

Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-06-28, Terry Coombs wrote:
You'd have a hard time finding anything but unfiltered raw honey
around here . Processed honey is a city thing ...

Raw or processed, I really don't see why anyone would want to eat
gunk that comes out of bugs. Ugh.

Yah, honey is essentially bee vomit...and then there's the blood glucose
and insulin spike followed by coronary artery disease thing.

Honey is actually one of the healthiest "natural" sweeteners and is
also a potent infection fighter.Yes, it can spike your insulin, but
honey is actually VERY beneficial for coronary artery disease. Many
beneficial compounds. From the US Library of Medicine:
Honey is rich in phenolic compounds, which act as natural antioxidants
and are becoming increasingly popular because of their potential role
in contributing to human health. A wide range of phenolic constituents
is present in honey like quercetin, caffeic acid phenethyl ester
(CAPE), acacetin, kaempferol, galangin which have promising effect in
the treatment of cardiovascular diseases. Many epidemiological studies
have shown that regular intake of phenolic compounds is associated
with reduced risk of heart diseases. In coronary heart disease, the
protective effects of phenolic compounds include mainly
antithrombotic, anti-ischemic, anti-oxidant, and vasorelaxant. It is
suggested that flavonoids decrease the risk of coronary heart disease
by three major actions: improving coronary vasodilatation, decreasing
the ability of platelets in the blood to clot, and preventing
low-density lipoproteins (LDLs) from oxidizing. In this review paper,
we discussed the preventive role of polyphenols of honey against
cardiovascular diseases.

This is speeking of raw, or natural, honey.

Highly processed honey looses some of these advantages, and some
commercially sold honey is not even 100% pure honey - having been
stretched with "corn syrup" or, from China - "Rice syrup" and even
water, gypsum, and various starches. It is often adulterated to keep
it from crystalizing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-06-28, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

A lot of our medicines had their genesis in natural products. Question
usually is, is there enough present in the natural product to be
effective. A coworker once told me that Linus Pauling himself had
actually told him to get his Vitamin C from rose hips because of the
other ingredients.

I remember a 60 Minutes story on Dr. Andrew Weil who advocates health
benefits of natural products.

This is a negative url that I googled up on the interview:

https://www.naturalproductsinsider.c...s-to-task.aspx

but the question was on availability of the natural medicine in the
various sources recommended varying all over the map.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2017 7:39 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

On 6/29/2017 3:33 AM, Abeja Vómito wrote:

Yah, honey is essentially bee vomit...and then there's the blood glucose and insulin spike followed by coronary artery disease thing.

Wah wah wah , so don't eat it .
*

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2017 12:28 PM, Frank wrote:
I remember a 60 Minutes story on Dr. Andrew Weil who advocates health benefits of natural products.

Last time I saw Weil he was big as a blimp and rockin a pair of man-boobs that rivaled Jessica Simpson's.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2017 2:09 PM, Frank wrote:
On 6/29/2017 2:59 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 6/29/2017 6:53 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 6/28/2017 10:27 PM, Muggles wrote:

I've hesitated taking it up because of the "getting stung" thing. Do
you get stung often?

Not really , the secret is lightly smoking them , and moving slowly .
Sudden motion makes them defensive . Timing makes a difference too , you
want to go into the hives while most of the foragers are out doing their
thing . And during times when there is no nectar out there they tend to
be defensive - they think you're there to steal their food ... I've
gotten so when i do get stung it burns for a few minutes then goes away
. Skeeter bites bother me a lot more than bee stings . Did you know that
some people sting themselves on purpose ? Something in the venom has
medicinal properties , look up "apitherapy" for more detail .

ugh... I don't think I could get used to getting stung. I'd jump or
shout and probably scare the bees and get stung MORE.

Yellow jacket stings were painful to but I tolerated them but now appear
to be allergic. I needed a prednisone pack for one that stung me on the
finger and my whole hand was swollen like I had a glove on the next day.
Honeybees are fairly docile but I would not take any chances.

I got a sting from a wasp that felt like I had been shot. After that
I've been a bit jumpy around insects that sting.

--
Maggie