Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Why is raw honey from Costco twice as expensive as Filtered ?

On 6/29/2017 11:46 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 04:33:43 -0400, Abeja VĂ³mito

On 2017-06-28, Terry Coombs wrote:
You'd have a hard time finding anything but unfiltered raw honey
around here . Processed honey is a city thing ...
Raw or processed, I really don't see why anyone would want to eat
gunk that comes out of bugs. Ugh.

Yah, honey is essentially bee vomit...and then there's the blood glucose
and insulin spike followed by coronary artery disease thing.

Honey is actually one of the healthiest "natural" sweeteners and is
also a potent infection fighter.Yes, it can spike your insulin, but
honey is actually VERY beneficial for coronary artery disease. Many
beneficial compounds. From the US Library of Medicine:
Honey is rich in phenolic compounds, which act as natural antioxidants
and are becoming increasingly popular because of their potential role
in contributing to human health. A wide range of phenolic constituents
is present in honey like quercetin, caffeic acid phenethyl ester
(CAPE), acacetin, kaempferol, galangin which have promising effect in
the treatment of cardiovascular diseases. Many epidemiological studies
have shown that regular intake of phenolic compounds is associated
with reduced risk of heart diseases. In coronary heart disease, the
protective effects of phenolic compounds include mainly
antithrombotic, anti-ischemic, anti-oxidant, and vasorelaxant. It is
suggested that flavonoids decrease the risk of coronary heart disease
by three major actions: improving coronary vasodilatation, decreasing
the ability of platelets in the blood to clot, and preventing
low-density lipoproteins (LDLs) from oxidizing. In this review paper,
we discussed the preventive role of polyphenols of honey against
cardiovascular diseases.

This is speeking of raw, or natural, honey.

Highly processed honey looses some of these advantages, and some
commercially sold honey is not even 100% pure honey - having been
stretched with "corn syrup" or, from China - "Rice syrup" and even
water, gypsum, and various starches. It is often adulterated to keep
it from crystalizing.

A lot of our medicines had their genesis in natural products. Question
usually is, is there enough present in the natural product to be
effective. A coworker once told me that Linus Pauling himself had
actually told him to get his Vitamin C from rose hips because of the
other ingredients.

I remember a 60 Minutes story on Dr. Andrew Weil who advocates health
benefits of natural products.

This is a negative url that I googled up on the interview:

https://www.naturalproductsinsider.c...s-to-task.aspx

but the question was on availability of the natural medicine in the
various sources recommended varying all over the map.