Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Default Green growth in filtered water faucet

Ed wrote:

I have an Everpure H-104 filter feeding a drinking water faucet in a
bathroom.
Periodically we will get some green growth coming out the faucet. A
Q-tip
confirms it is growing inside the faucet. I disconnected the feed tube
and
put a few drops of chlorine bleach in it, but a month or two later
it's back.

Why would it choose to grow in there? Any ideas for a cure?

TIA

Ed

My guess would be that all the garbage filtered out of your water sits
in the filter and grows....which is why I bugged hubby until he threw
out the filter he put on our kitchen faucet. I don't know how small
stuff has to be to get through a filter, but logic tells me that they
trap bacteria, an occasional fish scale, a tiny bug or two, and
eventually are soupy enough to multiply. Yuck! (Let me know if you
would like to hear about roaches, cat boxes and kitchen cupboards )
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed

I seriously doubt all that stuff is there in the first place. And if
it is,
surely it's better to filter it out rather than ingest it on a daily
basis.

That said, it is true that RO filter systems (which we have in the
kitchen
but not the bathroom) remove the chlorine, and that will allow any
bacteria
that happen to survive both the water district treatment and the RO
process
to grow in the storage tank that this type of system always has. That
is
why you are supposed to drain the RO tank after return from a trip of
a week or more, and periodically put a few drops of chlorine bleach in
the tank.
I've never heard of this requirement for a non-RO (i.e., non-storage)
system.

My theory is our algae is growing in the spout only, after it makes
the U-bend
down towards the sink. The water trapped in there when the faucet
turns off
gets oxygen from the air, allowing any fungus spores that may be in
the bathroom
to grow. In other words, it's no different from that which tends to
grow around the
grout lines in the shower.

I have sent e-mail To EverPure on the matter and will report back here
when they reply.