Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

Default Salt content of softened water

I have one of those softeners. There is an upright canister about five feet
tall. Then there is a black container with a lid that holds about four bags
of coarse salt.

My doctor said to cut down on all salt. I was wondering just how much salt
is left in that after it has done its thing. We also have a reverse osmosis
unit, but I can't see how that could remove dissolved salt, and if it does,
I think I would have to change the filter canisters weekly.

I know that I can take a pool water sample to my pool store, or I think to
Home Depot, and they will run an analysis on it.

Is there anywhere I can take this water sample, or buy test strips, or does
someone here know? Or know a site with the answer?

Thanks

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Steve B" wrote in message
I have one of those softeners. There is an upright canister about five
feet tall. Then there is a black container with a lid that holds about
four bags of coarse salt.

My doctor said to cut down on all salt. I was wondering just how much
salt is left in that after it has done its thing.

Just a tiny bit. If you do a Google search you may find the information.
I've seen it in the past but did not bookmark it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

:
[...]
Normally with a correctly installed water softener the kitchen
sink and bathroom sinks cold water lines aren't softened, so it's
not an issue. You can probably trace out your connections to
figure it out. Our softener only softens the hot water lines;
the cold water bypasses the softener entirely.

One of the reasons it's done that way, besides being more
expensive to soften all the water, is that softened water can
sometimes taste bad to many people. I know it makes a lousy cup
of coffee if I mistakenly use hot water instead of the cold! But
then the coffee pots don't last as long either that way g.

So, best case, you might be able to figure it out yourself by
tracing your pipes. Also, water softeners aren't using table
salt as you are thinking: It's a different type of "salt"; look
at your bags for contents, and you can discuss that with your
doctor if it's an issue.
Worst case, there are testing laboratories in the yellow pages
that can test your water for about naything you can think of; for
a price.

Luck!

Pop

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Steve B wrote:
I have one of those softeners. There is an upright canister about
five feet tall. Then there is a black container with a lid that
holds about four bags of coarse salt.

My doctor said to cut down on all salt. I was wondering just how
much salt is left in that after it has done its thing. We also have
a reverse osmosis unit, but I can't see how that could remove
dissolved salt, and if it does, I think I would have to change the
filter canisters weekly.
I know that I can take a pool water sample to my pool store, or I
think to Home Depot, and they will run an analysis on it.

Is there anywhere I can take this water sample, or buy test strips,
or does someone here know? Or know a site with the answer?

Thanks

Steve

With a properly maintained unit, very little salt is in the water. You
could ask your doctor, but it sounds like he said cut down and you would
likely cut out more salt by eliminating one Big Mac a week than the softened
water.

Also as noted by another writer, it is not uncommon to have un-softened
cold water at some or all sinks.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

"Pop" wrote in message

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

(edited)

If you drink 8 glasses of water a day from softened water, you would get the
equivalent salt that would be in one slice of bread. If you are using an
R/O system, the water to it should be softened or the medium/bladder or
whatever you call it won't last 6 months. The calcium has to be removed
from the water before hitting the R/O or it will plug the microscopic holes
in the bladder. On the other hand, any salt in the water would not be able
to get through those same holes and would be stopped and then flushed down
the drain to keep the holes from being plugged. That's why an R/O uses
several gallons of water to get one gallon to drink. I'm not sure where
you could send your water for testing...Sears used to provide a little
bottle and mailing envelope you could use to send in samples for a complete
analysis..I don't know if they still do. Just checked their website and
they only check for hardness and free iron content, now.

Tom G

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Steve B wrote:
I have one of those softeners. There is an upright canister about five feet
tall. Then there is a black container with a lid that holds about four bags
of coarse salt.

My doctor said to cut down on all salt. I was wondering just how much salt
is left in that after it has done its thing. We also have a reverse osmosis
unit, but I can't see how that could remove dissolved salt, and if it does,
I think I would have to change the filter canisters weekly.

I know that I can take a pool water sample to my pool store, or I think to
Home Depot, and they will run an analysis on it.

Is there anywhere I can take this water sample, or buy test strips, or does
someone here know? Or know a site with the answer?

Thanks

Steve

Hi,
One word, nothing to worry on softener salt. Just don't use table salt
in your diet. My family does not use salt and we're all healthy and fine.
You don't cut down on salt, just don't use it. As is we're taking more
enough salt from all the food(mostly processed) we eat today.
Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

Default Salt content of softened water/you can see a lot by observing

"Tony Hwang" wrote

Hi,
One word, nothing to worry on softener salt. Just don't use table salt in
your diet. My family does not use salt and we're all healthy and fine.
You don't cut down on salt, just don't use it. As is we're taking more
enough salt from all the food(mostly processed) we eat today.
Tony

Thanks, Tony, and all. I anticipated one of those Google searches where
everything but the thing you want comes up. I found a site that was FAQs,
and answered my question in short order.

The salt is used to recharge the resin that takes the hardness out of the
water, so it actually isn't used directly in the softening process.

I had a unit die on me last year. Boy, oh boy, did I see what billions of
balls of resin looked like. Got to take apart every filter and faucet to
get them out. I still have a Jaccuzi that I can't figure how to get into
and change the stems. But we don't use it, so, it isn't an issue yet.

Thanks for the answers, all, and there IS something to be said for Google
searches.

But then, if we all went to Google, no one would come here.

;-)

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

You SHOULD NOT be drinking soft water.

When I installed sof****er system I found out that everything after the
softener was soft including the outside hose bib. Which was fine as I never
used it for anything other than the swamp cooler.

The setting on the softener will be an indication of the amount of salt.
The manufacture could tell you more.

I changed over to Potassium, a bit more money but worth it for me. Just
clean out the system, flush with clear water and pour it in. At least that
is what I did. Still working after 10 years.

I ended up running a separate unsoftened water line to the refrigerator for
ice and water.

Posted to alt.home.repair
David Martel

Steve,

Sounds like you have an ion exchange resin type water softener. In these
there is a resin which releases sodium and takes up calcium. So the amount
of sodium (which is the "salt" that concerns you) in your tap water is a
function of the hardness of your well water. Really hard water will yield
somewhat more "salty" tap water than slightly hard water does. For most
folks this "saltiness" is thought to be insignificant.
By having the hardness of your well water tested and reading the owners
manual or writing to the manufacturer you should be able to figure out how
much salt is in your water. Then figure out how much water you drink per day
and you'll know how much salt is being added to your diet by your water. Run
this number by your physician for his advise.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

Steve B wrote:
I have one of those softeners. There is an upright canister about
five feet tall. Then there is a black container with a lid that
holds about four bags of coarse salt.

My doctor said to cut down on all salt. I was wondering just how
much salt is left in that after it has done its thing.

Did he tell you to cut down on *table* salt (sodium chloride) or sodium?
What's left after the softener does its thing is sodium carbonate, not
sodium chloride.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 07:26:38 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

[...]

If you are really concerned, get an R/O for your drinking water.

Please go back and read paragraph 2 of my post.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

Pop wrote:
So, best case, you might be able to figure it out yourself by
tracing your pipes. Also, water softeners aren't using table
salt as you are thinking: It's a different type of "salt"; look
at your bags for contents, and you can discuss that with your
doctor if it's an issue.

It's salt: Sodium Chloride. Water softner salt and table salt differ in
purity but the main ingredient is chemically identical.

Worst case, there are testing laboratories in the yellow pages
that can test your water for about naything you can think of; for
a price.

Luck!

Pop

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

Steve B wrote:

My doctor said to cut down on all salt.

Why?

Six percent of the population suffers from hypertension. Of those, half have
the type of hypertension aggravated by salt.

Salt does not cause hypertension.

Therefore, 97% of the population can consume, literally, as much salt as
they can hold. In controlled experiments, test subjects have consumed as
much as 25 grams of salt per day for months and months with no ill effects.

Ask your doctor again.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cue

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 18:11:47 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

| Steve B wrote:
|
| My doctor said to cut down on all salt.
|
| Why?
|
| Six percent of the population suffers from hypertension. Of those, half have
| the type of hypertension aggravated by salt.
|
| Salt does not cause hypertension.

Actually, the percentage of the USA population that has hypertension
is 24%, one in four persons, not 6%. Where did you get the 6% figure.
I wish it were true.

"Prevalence of hypertension in the US adult population. Results from
the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988-1991.

AU - Burt VL; Whelton P; Roccella EJ; Brown C; Cutler JA; Higgins M;
Horan MJ; Labarthe D
SO - Hypertension 1995 Mar;25(3):305-13.

"The purpose of this study was to estimate the current prevalence and
distribution of hypertension and to determine the status of
hypertension awareness, treatment, and control in the US adult
population. The study used a cross-sectional survey of the civilian,
noninstitutionalized population of the United States, including an
in-home interview and a clinic examination, each of which included
measurement of blood pressure. Data for 9901 participants 18 years of
age and older from phase 1 of the third National Health and Nutrition
Examination Survey, collected from 1988 through 1991, were used.
Twenty-four percent of the US adult population representing 43,186,000
persons had hypertension. The age-adjusted prevalence in the
non-Hispanic black, non-Hispanic white, and Mexican American
populations was 32.4%, 23.3%, and 22.6%, respectively. Overall, two
thirds of the population with hypertension were aware of their
diagnosis (69%), and a majority were taking prescribed medication
(53%). Only one third of Mexican Americans with hypertension were
being treated (35%), and only 14% achieved control in contrast to 25%
and 24% of the non-Hispanic black and non-Hispanic white populations
with hypertension, respectively. Almost 13 million adults classified
as being normotensive reported being told on one or more occasions
that they had hypertension; 51% of this group reported current
adherence to lifestyle changes to control their hypertension.
Hypertension continues to be a common finding in the general
population. Awareness, treatment, and control of hypertension have
improved substantially since the 1976-1980 National Health and
Nutrition Examination Survey but continue to be suboptimal, especially
in Mexican Americans."

Here's the story on sodium:

Sodium
American Heart Association recommendation: Eat less than 6 grams of
salt (sodium chloride) per day (2,400 milligrams of sodium).

Sodium intake may be a primary factor in the development of high blood
pressure (hypertension), which is a major risk factor for heart
attack.

About half of the people with hypertension and 30 percent of the
general public are described as "salt sensitive." This means that
their blood pressures are likely to increase when they eat a
high-sodium diet, and conversely, their blood pressures may be lowered
by limiting dietary sodium.

Salt sensitivity is difficult to accurately diagnose. Therefore,
appropriate sodium recommendations are a subject of great debate among
nutrition experts. Some believe that all people should limit their
sodium intakes (to 2,400 mg/day) to either treat or prevent
hypertension, regardless of their present blood pressure level.
Others, though, advise that only people with hypertension or those who
are believed to be salt sensitive need to limit sodium in their diets.

Nutrition researchers are still trying to tease out the exact role of
sodium in hypertension. A major study in this area is DASH (Dietary
Approaches to Stop Hypertension). This study found that a diet rich in
fruits, vegetables, and low-fat dairy products, and low in saturated
fat, cholesterol, and saturated fat-now called the DASH diet-helped
lower blood pressure. The second phase of the study found further
reductions in blood pressure when the DASH diet was combined with a
sodium intake of no more than 2,400 mg/day.

| Therefore, 97% of the population can consume, literally, as much salt as
| they can hold. In controlled experiments, test subjects have consumed as
| much as 25 grams of salt per day for months and months with no ill effects.
|
| Ask your doctor again.

Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob

Steve B wrote:
I have one of those softeners. There is an upright canister about five feet
tall. Then there is a black container with a lid that holds about four bags
of coarse salt.

My doctor said to cut down on all salt. I was wondering just how much salt
is left in that after it has done its thing. We also have a reverse osmosis
unit, but I can't see how that could remove dissolved salt, and if it does,
I think I would have to change the filter canisters weekly.

I know that I can take a pool water sample to my pool store, or I think to
Home Depot, and they will run an analysis on it.

Is there anywhere I can take this water sample, or buy test strips, or does
someone here know? Or know a site with the answer?

Thanks

Steve

There's twice as much sodium in the water as the calcium, magnesium, and
iron that was in the the hard water. (it's not much)

The kitchen cold water faucet and the outside faucets are probably
plumbed with hard water rather than softened water.

Best regards,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

I wouldnt drink softened water, why add anything unnecessary, rather
use unneeded salt in water for flavoring food

soft water makes keeping showers and sinks clean really easy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 13:58:46 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

If you are really concerned, get an R/O for your drinking water.

Please go back and read paragraph 2 of my post.

Steve

It will remove the salt and that salt goes down the drain line. You
know about the drain line?

I'm sorry. In paragraph two, I stated that I DID have a RO system in
addition to the softener. I guess you missed that.

TWICE!

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

wrote:

| Steve B wrote:
|
| My doctor said to cut down on all salt.
|
| Why?

In my case, I had a five way bypass and an aortic valve replacement.

I thought if they could do that for me, and I could walk out of the
hospital, that the other directions they gave me might be worth listening
to.

8 hours in surgery and eight days in the hospital will get your attention.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

Will do some calls tomorrow, Monday, and see where I can get an accurate
answer. Will post relevent information for all interested parties. Not
sure, but I do drink enough tap water to make it a factor.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 22:21:58 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

If you are really concerned, get an R/O for your drinking water.

Please go back and read paragraph 2 of my post.

Steve

It will remove the salt and that salt goes down the drain line. You
know about the drain line?

I'm sorry. In paragraph two, I stated that I DID have a RO system in
addition to the softener. I guess you missed that.

TWICE!

Steve

Why do you think I wasn't responding to the R/O comment?

R/O DOES remove salt. It does not plug up the membrane because the
blocked salt goes out the drain line. Perhaps you should read the book
that came with your R/O and you wouldn't be asking us about the salt.
BTW they use bigger R/O systems to desalinate sea water so the small
amount your water softener puts in is no problem.

Sorry, now I am really confused. I stated originally I had an RO unit in
addition to a softener. You stated I needed to look into getting a RO unit.

Must be too much salt clogging up my brain.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Bud

Steve B wrote:
I have one of those softeners. There is an upright canister about five feet
tall. Then there is a black container with a lid that holds about four bags
of coarse salt.

My doctor said to cut down on all salt. I was wondering just how much salt
is left in that after it has done its thing. We also have a reverse osmosis
unit, but I can't see how that could remove dissolved salt, and if it does,
I think I would have to change the filter canisters weekly.

I know that I can take a pool water sample to my pool store, or I think to
Home Depot, and they will run an analysis on it.

Is there anywhere I can take this water sample, or buy test strips, or does
someone here know? Or know a site with the answer?

First of all, don't take medical advice from strangers in a newsgroups.
You don't know if you're talking to MDs or 13 year old kids.

2nd, a quick google search found this from the Mayo Clinic:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/AN00317

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

The salt water from the brine tank is only used to clean the minerals from
the resin tank. When that portion of the cycle is complete, a properly
operating softener uses clean hard water to back-flush any residual salt
down the drain. Thus leaving (at most) a trace of salt. After the
regeneration is complete, the only sodium left in the tap water, is that
which is normally in the water before it comes into the home.

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
oups.com...

Steve B wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

that mayo site is excellent and softening water does raise salr
content.

if the ware sarts out with 10 grams of hardness, mild hardness,
softening adds 80 mg per liter of salt

Posted to alt.home.repair
Gary Dyrkacz

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:52:16 -0500, "Bob" wrote:

So where does this salt come from?

wrote in message
oups.com...
that mayo site is excellent and softening water does raise salr
content.

if the ware sarts out with 10 grams of hardness, mild hardness,
softening adds 80 mg per liter of salt

There have a few morsals of wisdom in this thread that are the key to
understanding the exchange softner:

David Martel wrote:
" Sounds like you have an ion exchange resin type water softener. In
these there is a resin which releases sodium and takes up calcium. So
the amount of sodium (which is the "salt" that concerns you) in your
tap water is a function of the hardness of your well water. Really
hard water will yield somewhat more "salty" tap water than slightly
hard water does. For most folks this "saltiness" is thought to be
insignificant. By having the hardness of your well water tested and
reading the owners manual or writing to the manufacturer you should be
able to figure out how much salt is in your water. Then figure out how
much water you drink per day and you'll know how much salt is being
added to your diet by your water. Run this number by your physician
for his advise."
Dave M.

Another critical piece of info was:

"Did he tell you to cut down on *table* salt (sodium chloride) or
sodium? What's left after the softener does its thing is sodium
carbonate, not sodium chloride."
dadiOH

Bob had two pieces of useful info:
"There's twice as much sodium in the water as the calcium, magnesium,
and iron that was in the the hard water. (it's not much)
The kitchen cold water faucet and the outside faucets are probably
plumbed with hard water rather than softened water."
and
"The salt water from the brine tank is only used to clean the minerals
fromthe resin tank. When that portion of the cycle is complete, a
properlyoperating softener uses clean hard water to back-flush any
residual salt down the drain. Thus leaving (at most) a trace of salt.
After the regeneration is complete, the only sodium left in the tap
water, is that which is normally in the water before it comes into the
home."
Bob

You put all this together and you have pretty much the correct story
on the softner side. As for the R/O it is not clear how the OP's
system is really set up. Yes, in prinicple it should remove
substantial amounts of Ca, Mg, and Fe itself.

Gary Dyrkacz

Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+
http://home.comcast.net/~dyrgcmn/

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cue

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:21:21 -0600, Gary Dyrkacz
wrote:

| On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:52:16 -0500, "Bob" wrote:
|
| So where does this salt come from?
|
| wrote in message
| oups.com...
| that mayo site is excellent and softening water does raise salr
| content.
|
| if the ware sarts out with 10 grams of hardness, mild hardness,
| softening adds 80 mg per liter of salt
|

| There have a few morsals of wisdom in this thread that are the key to
| understanding the exchange softner:
|
| David Martel wrote:
| " Sounds like you have an ion exchange resin type water softener. In
| these there is a resin which releases sodium and takes up calcium. So
| the amount of sodium (which is the "salt" that concerns you) in your
| tap water is a function of the hardness of your well water. Really
| hard water will yield somewhat more "salty" tap water than slightly
| hard water does. For most folks this "saltiness" is thought to be
| insignificant. By having the hardness of your well water tested and
| reading the owners manual or writing to the manufacturer you should be
| able to figure out how much salt is in your water. Then figure out how
| much water you drink per day and you'll know how much salt is being
| added to your diet by your water. Run this number by your physician
| for his advise."
| Dave M.
|
| Another critical piece of info was:
|
| "Did he tell you to cut down on *table* salt (sodium chloride) or
| sodium? What's left after the softener does its thing is sodium
| carbonate, not sodium chloride."
| dadiOH
|
| Bob had two pieces of useful info:
| "There's twice as much sodium in the water as the calcium, magnesium,
| and iron that was in the the hard water. (it's not much)
| The kitchen cold water faucet and the outside faucets are probably
| plumbed with hard water rather than softened water."
| and
| "The salt water from the brine tank is only used to clean the minerals
| fromthe resin tank. When that portion of the cycle is complete, a
| properlyoperating softener uses clean hard water to back-flush any
| residual salt down the drain. Thus leaving (at most) a trace of salt.
| After the regeneration is complete, the only sodium left in the tap
| water, is that which is normally in the water before it comes into the
| home."
| Bob
|
| You put all this together and you have pretty much the correct story
| on the softner side. As for the R/O it is not clear how the OP's
| system is really set up. Yes, in prinicple it should remove
| substantial amounts of Ca, Mg, and Fe itself.
|

| Gary Dyrkacz

Water softeners and a low sodium diet

Maintaining a low-sodium diet is more difficult if you use some types
of "softened water."

To understand the problem you need to know a little about how water
softeners work. They usually contain a chamber filled with beads or a
chemical matrix called zeolite. This is an ion-exchanger and acts by
replacing the chemicals in the water that make it hard (calcium and
magnesium) with another ion, usually sodium. When the beads are "full"
of calcium and magnesium, they are regnerated by passing a high level
of sodium chloride through the exchanger, which displaces the calcium
and magnesium and replaces it with sodium. Now, when the beads are
exposed to hard water again, they continue to do their job of swapping
calcium and magnesium for sodium.

For most individuals, the amount of sodium present in softened water
is not a health problem. If however, you are trying to maintain a low
sodium diet, this can add to your difficulties.

The amount of sodium in softened water can vary. According to a paper
by Yarows et al., (Sodium concentration from water softeners, Arch
Intern Med. 1997 Jan 27;157(2):218-22) the sodium concentration of
softened well water averaged 278 mg/L but the variation was very
large. Levels from 46 to 1219 mg/L were observed. 17% of households
had sodium levels above 400 mg/L. The amount of sodium that gets added
depends on how hard the water is to start with. If the water is very
hard then the sodium level will be higher, as shown in the table
below.

Initial Hardness Na added
(Grains CaCO3/gallon) mg/liter

10 75
20 150
30 225

The above figures are the amount that is in addition to the sodium
content before the water is softened. If you are trying to limit your
sodium intake to 1500 mg/day, then drinking 2 liters of water with 400
mg/L sodium over the course of a day will represent more than half
your daily limit! In the same study, the mean sodium concentration of
municipal, non-softened water was 110 mg/L (range 0 - 253 mg/L).

There are types of water softeners that do not add sodium to the
water. Alternatively, if the ion-exchanger type of water softener is
regenerated using potassium chloride, instead of sodium chloride, then
potassium would be added to the water instead of sodium as the water
was softened. However, in some patients with renal or cardiac disease,
diabetes or high blood pressure, there can also be complications due
to increased potassium intake so this should only be performed in
consultation with your physician.