Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why is raw honey from Costco twice as expensive as Filtered ?

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Mayayana wrote:

IMO, At the best the honey could come from bee keeper co-op.
I never buy honey from store. I personally buy from independent
small operation bee keeper who usually started out as amateur,
ended up producing more honey, not enough to commercialize but can
share with some folks. Concern for any Chinese food stuff is purity
free of heavy metal and PCB or other contaminants.

Probably the best way to buy honey. I have heard that local honey
can help reduce hay feaver in some people.

From what I understand honey will not spoil if it is not 'watered
down'.

Local honey will contain local pollen in miniscule amounts . This can
desenzitize SOME people - and AFAK you can't filter it out . By law honey
can contain no more that 16.5% (I think that's the number) water , more than
that and the honey can ferment . A good thing if you're making mead , but
for other uses not so much .
There has been so much said here about unfiltered honey not being "raw"
honey . That's not the criterion . Raw honey , just like raw milk , has not
been pasteurized . Heating honey to the temps used to pasteurize it destroys
all the microorganisms that give honey it's "medicinal" properties . IMO the
only use for pasteurized honey is for children under a year old , because
occasionally botulinim spores occcur in it and can make the wee ones sick .

--
Snag