Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Is it possible to get "Directory Assistance" on a Cellphone?

Is it possible to get "Directory Assistance" on a Cellphone?

I was away from home and needed to call a glass company to see if my
storm windows were repaired and ready for me to pick up. Thats when I
realized that I had not put their phone number in my contact list. The
glass company was 20 miles away, so I did not want to waste a trip to go
there.

On a home phone (landline), I'd either use my phonebook, or call
"Directory Assistance", or go on the internet and look it up.

But I was not home, so there's no phonebook in my car (maybe I should
put one in there). And my cellphone is just a flip phone, (no internet).
I tried to call 411 and got some error message.

I finally went to a gas station and used their phonebook to get the
number for that company.

Anyhow, is there a special number to use to get "Directory Assistance"
on a Cellphone?

My phone is a pre-paid Tracfone (if that matters).

I'm still trying to learn all the tricks to using these cellphones....
Seems the "kids" under 30 are the "experts" at using them. Not us old
guys. We're just experts at using rotary dial phones, (and the "kids"
dont know what those are, or how to use a phonograph).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2015 3:31 PM, wrote:
[...]

I've got the same kind of Tracfone and would like to know myself.
I googled it up and they advised 1-800-FREE-411 but it did not connect.
Dialing 411 just got an answer that said "free 422" then silence.
Let us know if you get something that works.

Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 3:34:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

I used to use FREE411 (800-373-3411). I'm pretty sure it's still
active.

You have to listen to a quick commercial, but then you can (usually)
get the number you want. The ads pay for the service.

You can also simply dial 411, but most carriers access a fee.

I'm still trying to learn all the tricks to using these cellphones....
Seems the "kids" under 30 are the "experts" at using them. Not us old
guys. We're just experts at using rotary dial phones, (and the "kids"
dont know what those are, or how to use a phonograph).

What do you define as an "old guy"? I'm ~2 x 30 and have no problems
using a smartphone.

I just Google the company I'm interested in. Most times, the Google
hit includes a little green icon that looks like a phone handset.
I tap it and, surprise, surprise, my phone dials the number.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 3:54:29 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On 11/18/2015 3:31 PM, wrote:
[...]

I just dialed 1-800-FREE-411 and got right through. I listened to a
short commercial for ADT alarm systems and then was taken to directory assistance.

Dialing 411 just got an answer that said "free 422" then silence.
Let us know if you get something that works.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 4:00:36 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Oops..sorry...the phone icon is blue, not green.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 15:54:17 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

I've got the same kind of Tracfone and would like to know myself.
I googled it up and they advised 1-800-FREE-411 but it did not connect.
Dialing 411 just got an answer that said "free 422" then silence.
Let us know if you get something that works.

Frank

Tracfone is affordable, easy to use, and you dont need a contract. But
getting any help from them is tough. I found nothing on their website to
answer this question....

You confirmed that this is an issue that I'm not alone with.... I
suspect it's a common question. Tracfone could make their website more
useful....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 4:06:34 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I can tell you that for sure it's possible on Verizon. Couple
decades ago, I was charged $150 for the airtime minutes to directory
assistance. At first, I couldn't figure out what the hell was going
on. The I realized I did call their 411 service for a number. Some
how the call didn't disconnect and they charged me for like a 90 min
call. So, I call Verizon Wireless and the customer service person
tells me, it's my problem, I have to take it up with the party I called.
I'm telling her that it's Verizon's 411 service and I wouldn't even know
who to call there or how to resolve it. She just tells me tough luck.
Even worse, now I have a phone where IDK WTF is going on, like suppose
next time it's a 12 hour call? I told her I guess I'll have to get rid
of the phone and Verizon service. She tells me she'd be happy to take
care of it.

Finally, I got a supervisor who realized the absurdity, that I couldn't
possibly be on with 411 for 90 mins on one call. He had me on hold for
about 20 mins, while he checked with their network people to find out
how it happened, make sure there isn't a recurring problem, etc. Then
he credited me for the call.

I think whether you have 411 service and how you access it depends on
your carrier. I would think the majors still have it, it's an easy
source of $$. But with smartphones now, I haven't had the need to use
it for a very long time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 4:06:43 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 15:52:46 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 14:31:38 -0600, wrote:

Is it possible to get "Directory Assistance" on a Cellphone?

I tried to call 411 and got some error message.

Anyhow, is there a special number to use to get "Directory Assistance"
on a Cellphone?

My phone is a pre-paid Tracfone (if that matters).

Can't say for sure what Tracphone does. Try 555-1212. There may be a
charge. ATT has directory assistance.

I remember that number, but it appears that all numbers dialed on a
cellphone require the AREA CODE, even if they are a local call (number).
I'll try it without the area code but I suspect it will ask for one. In
that case, should I just use my own area code, or what???

Does your Tracfone number have the same area code as the one for
where you live?

Verizon doesn't require an area code for local calls. As long as I am in
my area code, I can just dial the 7 digits. Maybe a Tracfone requires an
area code, but my Verizon phones never have.

In fact, my 4 kids are on my plan and all have the same area code as me.
None of them live within 200 miles, with some as far as 2000 miles. I
don't have to dial the area code to reach them since their phones
"think" they are in my area code.

That said, whenever I create a contact, I always include the area code.
That way I can call the contact from wherever I am in the country just
by tapping the contact. In other words, it never hurts to include the
area code, even for local calls, but it is not needed. At least not for
me.

On my landline phone, there is always a charge for Directory Assistance
calls use on my phone bill, but i rarely use it anymore. I just use my
phonebook or the internet. If the cellphone charges, they would probably
deduct minutes, like they do if I was to get a ringtone or wallpaper
from them.... At least I hope so. I would hate to have to enter credit
card numbers....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Program in the number for Chamber of Commerce and call them when you need a phone number or information. Every time I call they act so happy to have something to do it's like they were just waiting for someone to call.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-11-18, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Can't say for sure what Tracphone does.

Likewise, as I rarely use my Tracfone.

I DO know that many land-line providers (mine is CenturyLink) now
subcontract out all their operator assisted calls. My mom, in the
depths of her dementia, made a phone call and used an operator cuz she
was having problems dialing the number she wanted. That 10 min call
cost over $100! Jes ringing an operator was $40!

There's a reason why all long distance calls (direct dial) and airline
tickets are so cheap, now. Try $40-$50 charge fer directory
assistance and $75 per suitcase luggage fees. They're gonna get ya',
one way or the other.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2015 4:15 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 15:54:17 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

I've got the same kind of Tracfone and would like to know myself.
I googled it up and they advised 1-800-FREE-411 but it did not connect.
Dialing 411 just got an answer that said "free 422" then silence.
Let us know if you get something that works.

Frank

Tracfone is affordable, easy to use, and you dont need a contract. But
getting any help from them is tough. I found nothing on their website to
answer this question....

You confirmed that this is an issue that I'm not alone with.... I
suspect it's a common question. Tracfone could make their website more
useful....

Just sitting here, right now, I called 411 on my Tracfone and after an
ad got through. Since we pay for minutes ad maybe cost a quarter of a
minute and would cost more when using the service.

I have to guess now that the service is somewhat spotty but it did work.

My Tracfone must be 10 years old. I was not going to get a cell phone
but wife got a Tracfone and I'd borrow it when I was out in the woods
hunting. One of our sons put her on his family plan and she gave me the
Tracfone. Phone gave up the ghost and I replaced it with the $19 flip
phone. It meets my needs and has over 4,000 backed up minutes to roll
over when I buy the new annual plan for less than $100 and add more minutes.

I like the small flip phone that I can carry in the top pocket of my
shirt with no case.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 18:51:46 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

Just sitting here, right now, I called 411 on my Tracfone and after an
ad got through. Since we pay for minutes ad maybe cost a quarter of a
minute and would cost more when using the service.

As far as I know, my service comes thru Verison. From the replies on
here, it looks like that matters....

I have to guess now that the service is somewhat spotty but it did work.

I cant even use my cellphone at home. I'm too far from the tower or
whatever causes the signal to be too weak to make a reliable call. I can
usually send/receive a text though. But I have a landline. I originally
only got the cell for emergencies when I'm on the road, but I need to
use up minutes anyhow, so it's handy for general calls when I'm not
home. Plus I dont have long distance service on the landline (to keep
costs down). If I need to make a LD call, I use the cell. It's rare I
need to make a LD call anyhow. I'd have to pay extra for LD service on
my landline, even if I dont used it, so I just have local service only.

My Tracfone must be 10 years old. I was not going to get a cell phone
but wife got a Tracfone and I'd borrow it when I was out in the woods
hunting. One of our sons put her on his family plan and she gave me the
Tracfone. Phone gave up the ghost and I replaced it with the $19 flip
phone. It meets my needs and has over 4,000 backed up minutes to roll
over when I buy the new annual plan for less than $100 and add more minutes.

In 10 years, I bet you had to replace the battery more than once. Mine
went bad after less than 2 years. I went to one of those "Batteries
Plus" stores, they wanted almost $50 for a battery. I told the guy the
phone only cost about $20. I was going to just buy another phone and
swap the battery, but I found a NEW battery on Ebay for $5. That has
lasted close to 2 years now, but seems to need charging more often than
it used to.

I like the small flip phone that I can carry in the top pocket of my
shirt with no case.

I like the size too. I keep it in my pants pocket. I doubt a smartphone
would last long when I'm doing my farm work. (Even though it sits in my
car more often than not, when I'm at home).

Seems I spend more time charging it, than using it.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

I use verizon pre paid. they charge a couple bucks per call for 411. up till a week ago it worked great. live operator helps a lot.

verizon changed to a automated attendant 411 service. it tries to use your voice to find the number, after like 5 or 6 failed attempts it connects you to a operator.

now i called and tried to complain about the change. verizon claiims its a contractor and they have no control.

yeah sure.... another verizon cost cutting effort. they care nothing at all about customer satisfction.........

anyhow i am going to change from verizon to whoever has a live human operator..

i like my flip phone, its hard to damage, 15 bucks to replace, and verizon has the best network around here.

but the lack of customer service is appalying
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2015 7:27 PM, wrote:
[...]

Spotty here too. I've got a land line wired through FIOS but with land
line billing and LD extra. Use for home consulting business with
occasional calls to Canada and Europe. We also have VoIP as part of
internet, TV, phone package. Two old retired folks, overphoned ;}
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 4:56:18 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

The stories I could tell you about Verizon customer service would curl
your hair.

The latest episode involves a fraudulent account that was opened in my
daughter's name. I called them when I received the first bill ($600+) and
the rep told me I had to fill out a Verizon form and take it to my local
police department and file a report. As I was filling out the form, there
was "required documentation" that my daughter couldn't produce, like utility
bills in her name. I called Verizon back and that rep told that if the
first rep had simply read the notes on the account, he would have seen
that the account was flagged as fraudulent within 2 days of it being
opened. The rep assured me that my daughter was not responsible for the
bill and she sent me an email stating that. Imagine if I had been able to
fill out the form easily. I would have gone to the police department and
filed unnecessary reports, etc. A ton of work for nothing.

For the past 4 months my daughter has continued to receive bills (with late
charges added) and eventually letters threatening to send the bills to a
collection agency and report her to the credit agencies. So I've got an
email from the Verizon fraud department telling me that they will notify
the credit agencies that my daughter is not responsible for the bills. At
the same time, the Verizon billing department is threatening to report
her to the very agencies that the fraud department has told to ignore any
reports related to the unpaid bills.

Apparently the fraud department can't just tell the billing department to
stop billing a customer even if they know the bills are not the
responsibility of the person they are billing. So every month I call both
sides of Verizon, every month I send the bill back with a copy of the email from the fraud department and every month I am told that the fraud
classification will work it's way over to the billing department and the bills
will stop. When I received last month's bill, I called the fraud department
again and was told that the last bill should be the last bill. I won't know
for a couple of weeks, so we'll see what happens.

Another time I bought 2 phones that came with a $50 (each) rebate. I sent in
all of the required documentation and was notified that the rebate was
rejected because (according to them) I didn't buy the right phone. I
called customer service and the first level rep had no idea what to do, so I
asked for a supervisor. The supervisor came up with a fine suggestion. "How
about we forget about the rebate and I just credit your account for $100?"

That worked for me and I thought it was settled. The $100 credit appeared on
my account the next day and 2 weeks later I received two $50 VISA cards
in the mail. I had done nothing regarding the rejected rebates after talking
to the supervisor, yet somehow I suddenly became eligible for them.

After all I've gone through with Verizon over the past decade, I felt
justified in keeping the extra $100. SWMBO and I enjoyed a very nice
dinner with the money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 17:04:52 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

I use verizon pre paid. they charge a couple bucks per call for 411. up till a week ago it worked great. live operator helps a lot.

verizon changed to a automated attendant 411 service. it tries to use your voice to find the number, after like 5 or 6 failed attempts it connects you to a operator.

now i called and tried to complain about the change. verizon claiims its a contractor and they have no control.

yeah sure.... another verizon cost cutting effort. they care nothing at all about customer satisfction.........

And they just emailed me and others that they're going to throw away
my email if I don't read it for 6 months, even if I'm paying the
monthly fee.

Then they had nerve enough to end the email "Thank you for being a
loyal customer."

anyhow i am going to change from verizon to whoever has a live human operator..

i like my flip phone, its hard to damage, 15 bucks to replace, and verizon has the best network around here.

but the lack of customer service is appalying

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2015 9:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I had a dust up with AT&T several years ago about a bill for my business
phone that I did not owe.

They pestered me so much that they violated federal law and I was going
to sue in magistrates court but when I called the court about filing
they passed it off to the state ag who got them off my back.

I cancelled ld service with AT&T on my home phone and tore up their
credit card.

They offered me $40 to get back my home service.

I shy away from AT&T and its child Verizon who still have the old phone
company ethic of, "We're the only business in town - take it or leave it."

Posted to alt.home.repair

jasper smith posted for all of us...

wrote:
[...]

Do you know the number for Bum****, AZ? The OP doesn't either, that's why he
posed the question.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's why you use a real e-mail client and download your emai; off
the server. Once it is on your computer, it is YOURS.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

You STUPID SON OF A BITCH, he's only 20 miles from home, his local chamber of commerce could still help him find a phone number, YOU IDIOT ASS TURD.

Just because YOU go to Bum**** , AZ doesn't mean that's where he is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's what i do but I didn't go into detail about my objection.

I guess none of them have ever been sick for six months or a year,
perhaps even unconscious, and unable to read his email. I find
their new policy obnoxious. As long as people are paying their
monthly charge to Verizon, Verizon should retain their email.

Plus their statement that they won't send a warning message is
arrogant almost beyond belief. The gas and the electric companies
will send a warning message to a third party before cutting off
service, and they do that for people who don't pay at all. Verizon
says it will delete the email of people who pay but don't read their
email.

One can need gas and electric for heat, to live, and other things
almost as essential, but otoh, they can be reconnected a day later.
Verizon says the email it throws away will be gone irretrievably.

And their closing line "Many thanks for being a loyal customer." is as
phony as anything I've ever read. If they want to thank loyal
customers, don't throw away their email.

Here is their customer service email address but it doesn't seem to
accept emails:
https://www.verizon.com/support/resi...t-us/index.htm the
best I can do right now, and it's important to write right away.
Actually, I haven't made it work yet -- I can only find chat,
community forum, telephone, commonly asked questions, and a postal
mail address. I'm sure they've intentionally not given an email
address. If I tell someone via chat or on the telephone, all my
objections will be reduced to "Against new policy" and I'll be lucky
if which policy I'm against is recorded. If you can find a better
address, please let us know.

I hope to find a better address, but it might be better to write to
the tv, print, or even web news. It seems to me this level of
corporate arrogance is news-worthy. They will look like selfish,
self-centered jackasses when the rest of the country hears about this.
A TV show like Inside Edition will love this sort of thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

i use Tracfone; for years

don't they charge by the minute for All calls - even 800 type numbers?
[nothing free]

marc
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

BWAAA hit a nerve there Jasper... Does he know the phone number of the 20
mile away CofC? I don't think so and neither do you asshat. Your turn
smegmaface.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tekkie® brought next idea :

wrote:
[...]

Now now girls.....behave yourselves.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

You're a dumb ass idiot. He can call his own chamber of commerce, they've got phone books there. It's only 20 miles away. All towns that close together have listings for each town in a multi area phone book. For a tekkie you sure are stupid. Go back to Illinois.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It iks a "rolling inventory" situation. They keep the last 6 months.

Can you imagine how much storage it takes to store 10 years of email
for every verizon customer??? When people are emailing pictures,
videos, audio files (music) and everything else you can imagine.
One can need gas and electric for heat, to live, and other things
almost as essential, but otoh, they can be reconnected a day later.
Verizon says the email it throws away will be gone irretrievably.

But you still have "e-mail service"

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That probably WAS the policy, but it's not anymore.

Can you imagine how much storage it takes to store 10 years of email
for every verizon customer??? When people are emailing pictures,

No one expects them to store more than they promise to store, but
their new policy is that if you don't read your email in 6 months,
they throw all of it away, ALL OF IT, and you can't get it back.

videos, audio files (music) and everything else you can imagine.
One can need gas and electric for heat, to live, and other things
almost as essential, but otoh, they can be reconnected a day later.
Verizon says the email it throws away will be gone irretrievably.

But you still have "e-mail service"

No, you don't. Here is what their email said:

We wanted to let you know that our email policy has changed.

What does this mean for you?

Love your verizon.net email service and use it frequently? That’s
great. This email policy change does not affect you, as long as you
continue to access your email on a regular basis.

Our policy change applies to you if you haven’t accessed your
verizon.net email account, including subaccounts, in over six months
(180 days). If you want to keep it, doing so is simple. Go to
webmail.verizon.com from a computer or laptop within the next 30 days
and log into your account. After that, as long as you access your
email at least once every six months, it will remain active.

[So you get a one-time chance to reactivate it, in the next 30
days. But afaict, you wont' have that chance in the future.]

With this change, if you choose not to reactivate your verizon.net
email account, including subaccounts, which have not been accessed in
over six months, they will be deleted from our system. Once deleted,
the account(s) cannot be reactivated.

Additional details.
The change to our email policy does not affect your access to
myverizon.com, where you can continue to pay your bill, upgrade your
service, and more. We encourage you to visit.

[Of course they want you to pay your bill]

For additional information on our email policy change, please visit
verizon.com/emailpolicy.
[That is,
http://www.verizon.com/idc/groups/pu...icy-141012.pdf
]

Which is even stronger:

-- start pdf --
Email Retention Policy
This Email Retention Policy applies to Verizon Email services.
Its terms are subject to change without notice
..
If your Email is provided by a Verizon affiliate or third party, it is
subject to your Email provider’s terms of service, as well as any
applicable privacy, email, security and/or anti-spam policies.
The following rules apply to the retention of Email in your Verizon
Online Email account ([your user ):

[This part is okay]
All Email will be retained indefinitely as long as your Email account
remains active and you do not exceed the maximum storage quota for
your mailbox. You can determine the available storage space for your
mailbox via the Email Storage window in the left column of your
mailbox.

All Email in the trash folder will be deleted after 2 days.

[I think the spam retention is inadequate, but they think they are
only finding spam. I hear that's not true, but it's a separate
issue.]

All Email in the Spam detector folder will be deleted after 4 days.

[Here is where the crap starts. ]

Email Inactivity Policy
Email accounts without activity for 180 days will be considered
inactive/ Inactive Email accounts will be permanently deleted in
their entirety , without notice, including Email addresses, all Email,
and personal Email folders. Inactive Email accounts may not be
reactivated and you will NOT be able to recover Email addresses,
deleted Emails or personal Email folders
--end pdf --

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

verizon FIOS customer service policy.

we dont give a hoot about customer service satisfaction.

so your fios phone hasnt worked dependbly in 3 months? well its your home wiring. its the only excuse we have and were sticking too it.

look your under a 2 year contract, even if your phone fails to function we wouldnt let you out of the contract.

we do promise to solicit you for more service constantly, by mail by phone and verizons favorite, a rep at your door at dinner time.

we refuse to remove you from being solicited, even after the customer sends certified mail to the verizons presidents office.

so your new FIOS phone set up is just 2 months old and the back up battery has failed? sucks to be you theres no warranty on that battery.

we see you called and cancelled your business lines outgoing call package.

so we canceled your business line twice and put up the message, this line is no longer in service, no futher information is available. this way your customers believe your out of business. we at verizon really dont care .........

dont laugh this all occured to me.
not only did i cancell everything verizon landine i insisted they remove all their equiptement including their copper drop. verizon refused.

so i promised them a big banner in my front yard VERIZON FIOS SUCKS. was going to put up a local radio station talking about my verizon experiences like some realtors use.

verizon removed everything.

oh and the cause of my troubles? a bad noisey router in their central office