Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Manual "butterfly" or "grip" to slot onto 7mm hexagonal "bolt"

Sorry for the excessive "" in the title - I know I'm probably using the wrong terminology!

Son has a camera mount for his bike which is attached via a "bolt" which tightens up.

When it arrived, there was a plastic surround covering the hexagonal top of the bolt so that it could be twisted and secured in place manually without a tool.

However, he has subsequently bashed this on something and the plastic surround has snapped off, leaving just a bog standard "bolt" head, which fits into a 7mm socket. Any hints as to what I might need to search for to get some form of replacement head for this?

Cheers!

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

larkim wrote:
Sorry for the excessive "" in the title - I know I'm probably using the wrong terminology!

Son has a camera mount for his bike which is attached via a "bolt" which tightens up.

When it arrived, there was a plastic surround covering the hexagonal top of the bolt so that it could be twisted and secured in place manually without a tool.

However, he has subsequently bashed this on something and the plastic surround has snapped off, leaving just a bog standard "bolt" head, which fits into a 7mm socket. Any hints as to what I might need to search for to get some form of replacement head for this?

Cheers!

Matt

remove bolt.
file or carve a butterfly shaped thing out of wood
use it to make a mould in plasticine
Fill mould with car body filler and push the bolt head in
remove plasticine and file/sand to perfect shape
spray in lurid colours

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

larkim wrote:
[...]

It's called a wing bolt, you can get various sizes on eBay, but you will
need to check the thread size (perhaps M4?)

If I were doing a manual replacement I would probably cut a slot in the
head and silver solder something like a 1p or 5p coin into it. (OK,
defacing coin of the realm and so forth).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 22, 11:22*am, larkim wrote:
Son has a camera mount for his bike which is attached via a "bolt" which tightens up.

New bolt with an Allen head, then carry an Allen key with him (it's
standard bike repair kit anyway).

This also avoid the problem with yet another spikey thing on your
handlebars, waiting for you to crash.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 22 August 2012 13:32:59 UTC+1, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Aug 22, 11:22*am, larkim wrote:

Son has a camera mount for his bike which is attached via a "bolt" which tightens up.

New bolt with an Allen head, then carry an Allen key with him (it's

standard bike repair kit anyway).

This also avoid the problem with yet another spikey thing on your

handlebars, waiting for you to crash.

Thanks all - as usual, sensible suggestions on a different tack than I was thinking.

How do you measure the thread for something like this? It is a very narrow packed thread on the bolt itself.

I'd agree about the allen key fitting if it weren't for the fact that this is on the bike of a 12 year old who hasn't yet learned that taking tools with him is a good idea!

Matt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

larkim wrote:
On Wednesday, 22 August 2012 13:32:59 UTC+1, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Aug 22, 11:22 am, larkim wrote:

Son has a camera mount for his bike which is attached via a "bolt" which tightens up.

New bolt with an Allen head, then carry an Allen key with him (it's

standard bike repair kit anyway).

This also avoid the problem with yet another spikey thing on your

handlebars, waiting for you to crash.

Thanks all - as usual, sensible suggestions on a different tack than I was thinking.

How do you measure the thread for something like this? It is a very narrow packed thread on the bolt itself.

I'd agree about the allen key fitting if it weren't for the fact that this is on the bike of a 12 year old who hasn't yet learned that taking tools with him is a good idea!

Matt

Most bikes are metric or UNF. Probably metric.

Measure shank dia and estimate threads per inch and look it up.

Heres something I found that might be useful

http://www.wdsltd.co.uk/products/Mac...ic-Hand-Knobs/

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 22 August 2012 14:46:03 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
larkim wrote:

Thanks all - as usual, sensible suggestions on a different tack than I was thinking.

How do you measure the thread for something like this? It is a very narrow packed thread on the bolt itself.

I'd agree about the allen key fitting if it weren't for the fact that this is on the bike of a 12 year old who hasn't yet learned that taking tools with him is a good idea!

Matt

Most bikes are metric or UNF. Probably metric.

Measure shank dia and estimate threads per inch and look it up.

Heres something I found that might be useful

http://www.wdsltd.co.uk/products/Mac...ic-Hand-Knobs/

That's great, thanks - I'd found their site previously but not that section. Something in there is bound to fit!

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2012 12:30, newshound wrote:
larkim wrote:
[...]

I think that it is no longer illegal to do so. Hence the appearance of
those machines at various museums and the like, where you pay 50p to
squeeze a 1p or 2p coin between rollers and elongate it.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"SteveW" wrote in message

I think that it is no longer illegal to do so. Hence the appearance of
those machines at various museums and the like, where you pay 50p to
squeeze a 1p or 2p coin between rollers and elongate it.

I don't think they do.
1p and 2p coins have been plated steel these days and that would be quite
hard.
However I have never taken one apart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2012 22:36, dennis@home wrote:

"SteveW" wrote in message

I think that it is no longer illegal to do so. Hence the appearance of
those machines at various museums and the like, where you pay 50p to
squeeze a 1p or 2p coin between rollers and elongate it.

I don't think they do.
1p and 2p coins have been plated steel these days and that would be
quite hard.
However I have never taken one apart.

They definitely do - the kids love them.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

larkim wrote:
Sorry for the excessive "" in the title - I know I'm probably using the wrong terminology!

Son has a camera mount for his bike which is attached via a "bolt" which tightens up.

When it arrived, there was a plastic surround covering the hexagonal top of the bolt so that it could be twisted and secured in place manually without a tool.

However, he has subsequently bashed this on something and the plastic surround has snapped off, leaving just a bog standard "bolt" head, which fits into a 7mm socket. Any hints as to what I might need to search for to get some form of replacement head for this?

Cheers!

Matt

Mail order,

http://www.mcjing.com.au/categorybro...ategoryid=1031
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Heres something I found that might be useful

http://www.wdsltd.co.uk/products/Mac...ic-Hand-Knobs/

Brilliant site! bookmarked...

--
For every complex problem, there is a solution which is simple, neat,
and wrong.