Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default (OT) Is it possible to get "Directory Assistance" on a Cellphone?

On Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 4:06:43 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 15:52:46 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 14:31:38 -0600, wrote:

Is it possible to get "Directory Assistance" on a Cellphone?

I tried to call 411 and got some error message.

Anyhow, is there a special number to use to get "Directory Assistance"
on a Cellphone?

My phone is a pre-paid Tracfone (if that matters).

Can't say for sure what Tracphone does. Try 555-1212. There may be a
charge. ATT has directory assistance.

I remember that number, but it appears that all numbers dialed on a
cellphone require the AREA CODE, even if they are a local call (number).
I'll try it without the area code but I suspect it will ask for one. In
that case, should I just use my own area code, or what???

Does your Tracfone number have the same area code as the one for
where you live?

Verizon doesn't require an area code for local calls. As long as I am in
my area code, I can just dial the 7 digits. Maybe a Tracfone requires an
area code, but my Verizon phones never have.

In fact, my 4 kids are on my plan and all have the same area code as me.
None of them live within 200 miles, with some as far as 2000 miles. I
don't have to dial the area code to reach them since their phones
"think" they are in my area code.

That said, whenever I create a contact, I always include the area code.
That way I can call the contact from wherever I am in the country just
by tapping the contact. In other words, it never hurts to include the
area code, even for local calls, but it is not needed. At least not for
me.

On my landline phone, there is always a charge for Directory Assistance
calls use on my phone bill, but i rarely use it anymore. I just use my
phonebook or the internet. If the cellphone charges, they would probably
deduct minutes, like they do if I was to get a ringtone or wallpaper
from them.... At least I hope so. I would hate to have to enter credit
card numbers....