Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default (OT) Is it possible to get "Directory Assistance" on a Cellphone?

On 11/18/2015 7:27 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 18:51:46 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

Just sitting here, right now, I called 411 on my Tracfone and after an
ad got through. Since we pay for minutes ad maybe cost a quarter of a
minute and would cost more when using the service.

As far as I know, my service comes thru Verison. From the replies on
here, it looks like that matters....

I have to guess now that the service is somewhat spotty but it did work.

I cant even use my cellphone at home. I'm too far from the tower or
whatever causes the signal to be too weak to make a reliable call. I can
usually send/receive a text though. But I have a landline. I originally
only got the cell for emergencies when I'm on the road, but I need to
use up minutes anyhow, so it's handy for general calls when I'm not
home. Plus I dont have long distance service on the landline (to keep
costs down). If I need to make a LD call, I use the cell. It's rare I
need to make a LD call anyhow. I'd have to pay extra for LD service on
my landline, even if I dont used it, so I just have local service only.

My Tracfone must be 10 years old. I was not going to get a cell phone
but wife got a Tracfone and I'd borrow it when I was out in the woods
hunting. One of our sons put her on his family plan and she gave me the
Tracfone. Phone gave up the ghost and I replaced it with the $19 flip
phone. It meets my needs and has over 4,000 backed up minutes to roll
over when I buy the new annual plan for less than $100 and add more minutes.

In 10 years, I bet you had to replace the battery more than once. Mine
went bad after less than 2 years. I went to one of those "Batteries
Plus" stores, they wanted almost $50 for a battery. I told the guy the
phone only cost about $20. I was going to just buy another phone and
swap the battery, but I found a NEW battery on Ebay for $5. That has
lasted close to 2 years now, but seems to need charging more often than
it used to.

I like the small flip phone that I can carry in the top pocket of my
shirt with no case.

I like the size too. I keep it in my pants pocket. I doubt a smartphone
would last long when I'm doing my farm work. (Even though it sits in my
car more often than not, when I'm at home).

Seems I spend more time charging it, than using it.....

Spotty here too. I've got a land line wired through FIOS but with land
line billing and LD extra. Use for home consulting business with
occasional calls to Canada and Europe. We also have VoIP as part of
internet, TV, phone package. Two old retired folks, overphoned ;}