Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moc is offline

Default (OT) Is it possible to get "Directory Assistance" on a Cellphone?

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 18:51:46 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

Just sitting here, right now, I called 411 on my Tracfone and after an
ad got through. Since we pay for minutes ad maybe cost a quarter of a
minute and would cost more when using the service.

As far as I know, my service comes thru Verison. From the replies on
here, it looks like that matters....

I have to guess now that the service is somewhat spotty but it did work.

I cant even use my cellphone at home. I'm too far from the tower or
whatever causes the signal to be too weak to make a reliable call. I can
usually send/receive a text though. But I have a landline. I originally
only got the cell for emergencies when I'm on the road, but I need to
use up minutes anyhow, so it's handy for general calls when I'm not
home. Plus I dont have long distance service on the landline (to keep
costs down). If I need to make a LD call, I use the cell. It's rare I
need to make a LD call anyhow. I'd have to pay extra for LD service on
my landline, even if I dont used it, so I just have local service only.

My Tracfone must be 10 years old. I was not going to get a cell phone
but wife got a Tracfone and I'd borrow it when I was out in the woods
hunting. One of our sons put her on his family plan and she gave me the
Tracfone. Phone gave up the ghost and I replaced it with the $19 flip
phone. It meets my needs and has over 4,000 backed up minutes to roll
over when I buy the new annual plan for less than $100 and add more minutes.

In 10 years, I bet you had to replace the battery more than once. Mine
went bad after less than 2 years. I went to one of those "Batteries
Plus" stores, they wanted almost $50 for a battery. I told the guy the
phone only cost about $20. I was going to just buy another phone and
swap the battery, but I found a NEW battery on Ebay for $5. That has
lasted close to 2 years now, but seems to need charging more often than
it used to.

I like the small flip phone that I can carry in the top pocket of my
shirt with no case.

I like the size too. I keep it in my pants pocket. I doubt a smartphone
would last long when I'm doing my farm work. (Even though it sits in my
car more often than not, when I'm at home).

Seems I spend more time charging it, than using it.....