Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default (OT) Is it possible to get "Directory Assistance" on a Cellphone?

On Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 4:00:36 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 3:34:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Is it possible to get "Directory Assistance" on a Cellphone?

I was away from home and needed to call a glass company to see if my
storm windows were repaired and ready for me to pick up. Thats when I
realized that I had not put their phone number in my contact list. The
glass company was 20 miles away, so I did not want to waste a trip to go
there.

On a home phone (landline), I'd either use my phonebook, or call
"Directory Assistance", or go on the internet and look it up.

But I was not home, so there's no phonebook in my car (maybe I should
put one in there). And my cellphone is just a flip phone, (no internet).
I tried to call 411 and got some error message.

I finally went to a gas station and used their phonebook to get the
number for that company.

Anyhow, is there a special number to use to get "Directory Assistance"
on a Cellphone?

My phone is a pre-paid Tracfone (if that matters).

I used to use FREE411 (800-373-3411). I'm pretty sure it's still
active.

You have to listen to a quick commercial, but then you can (usually)
get the number you want. The ads pay for the service.

You can also simply dial 411, but most carriers access a fee.

I'm still trying to learn all the tricks to using these cellphones....
Seems the "kids" under 30 are the "experts" at using them. Not us old
guys. We're just experts at using rotary dial phones, (and the "kids"
dont know what those are, or how to use a phonograph).

What do you define as an "old guy"? I'm ~2 x 30 and have no problems
using a smartphone.

I just Google the company I'm interested in. Most times, the Google
hit includes a little green icon that looks like a phone handset.
I tap it and, surprise, surprise, my phone dials the number.

Oops..sorry...the phone icon is blue, not green.