Posted to alt.home.repair

Default TV turns itself off & on ..

On 10/7/2015 12:38 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I have a Sanyo CRT TV that I got just before LCDs became available at
reasonable prices. It won't tune digital, but has worked so well on
cable I don't want to get rid of it. Possibly when cable drops too many
analog channels...

I was in the same situation. I got lucky though, a nearby lightning
strike took out the TV so I had to get a 47" flat screen. Of course,
two weeks after I bought it the price dropped $50.

Next up- - - 60" curved screen Ultra HD. Praying for a bad thunderstorm.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2015 12:47 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 10/06/2015 06:30 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

[snip]

last
year I bought a new 32" LED TV from a pawnshop for $150 and the darn
thing is lighter than my 23" LCD computer monitor. I was able to tuck
it under one arm and carry it up my front steps. My housemate has a
32" CRT TV that takes at least two people to carry with some
difficulty. ^_^

That 27-inch "portable" CRT TV weighed 90 pounds.

I had a 32" HD with the 16:9 CRT screen. It was 185 pounds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 3:09:56 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Next up- - - 60" curved screen Ultra HD. Praying for a bad thunderstorm.

Curved is a gimmick, it will diminish peripheral viewing. Good on your far side, but bad on your close side. 4k has some programming on satellite...sets have a built-in hard drive just for the demo!
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.war.vietnam

On 10/6/2015 2:10 PM, hubops wrote:
Hi all ;
My old fat-screen CRT 32 inch RCA has taken on a mind of its own -
- it has started to turn itself OFF & ON after working for 20
minutes or so. I took the batteries out of the remote to see if it
was causing the trouble - it made no difference.
Any ideas ?
I like to keep stuff from the re-cycle / garbage bin, if I can.
John T.

Sometimes I do the same thing when I'm yanking my crank.
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

Has he tried using a different outlet to rule out a loose connection there?
My Sony, if it was on when there is a power interruption, remembers and
turns itself back on when power is restored. At least it does that if the
power comes back in 5 or 10 mins. IDK what it does if it's longer.

Not a bad idea .. thanks.
I did try a different cord - to test for a faulty power bar -
but it was from the same receptacle.
John T.

I tried a different power cord into a different receptacle -
no change. Also tried covering the remote sensor - nope.
Time for a new TV.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/07/2015 11:53 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

[snip]

Our cable TV is going to drop the analog channels this month. They will
supply a box that will work with the sets that have the audio/video inputs.
I have an old CRT set that is in the basement area I watch, and a cable
ready set in the kitchen When cable announced that extra box would be
needed for both sets and they would provide them for free for a year , then
charge for them, I switched to Direct TV.

That sounds like what they may be doing here, along with the same
language ("free for a year"). Are you sure about that interpretation? It
would be wrong to give you something and then later charge for what they
gave you. Maybe it just means if you DON'T get any now you'll have to
pay to get it later.

--
79 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Whoever wants to be a Christian should tear the eyes out of his Reason."
[Martin Luther]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/07/2015 01:44 PM, micky wrote:

[snip]

And what about its requiring the right side, not the left? I'm tired
of the left side being picked on.

"Sinister" means left. Right is "Dexter".

--
79 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

"God will forgive me; thats his business." [Heinrich Heine]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2015 5:44 PM, bob_villa wrote:
On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 3:09:56 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Next up- - - 60" curved screen Ultra HD. Praying for a bad thunderstorm.

Curved is a gimmick, it will diminish peripheral viewing. Good on your far side, but bad on your close side. 4k has some programming on satellite...sets have a built-in hard drive just for the demo!

By the time I'm ready to buy, 4k will be far more common. Remember when
networks only broadcast in color in the evening?

The curve is supposed to enhance peripheral viewing. I've not done any
serious viewing yet. The demo sure looks good though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message

That sounds like what they may be doing here, along with the same language
("free for a year"). Are you sure about that interpretation? It would be
wrong to give you something and then later charge for what they gave you.
Maybe it just means if you DON'T get any now you'll have to pay to get it
later.

I may be wrong for how long, but think it is a year. Anyway , after a
certain ammount of time the cable company will charge a $ 2.75 a month for
each device. Bad thing about it will not give all the channels, just the
standard TV that is already free on the analog TV that is going away on
cable.
Below is from their web page. Talking with some that have gone to this
converter box (the converter box for off the air TV will not work either)
say it is free for now to watch.

Digital Adapters are free for a limited time in some areas. Please refer to
our Digital Adapter support page for details

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 7 Oct 2015 16:13:15 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 10/7/2015 12:47 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 10/06/2015 06:30 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

[snip]

last
year I bought a new 32" LED TV from a pawnshop for $150 and the darn
thing is lighter than my 23" LCD computer monitor. I was able to tuck
it under one arm and carry it up my front steps. My housemate has a
32" CRT TV that takes at least two people to carry with some
difficulty. ^_^

That 27-inch "portable" CRT TV weighed 90 pounds.

I had a 32" HD with the 16:9 CRT screen. It was 185 pounds.

I had a 60" mother-in-law who was 220 pounds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 07 Oct 2015 10:10:57 -0400, hubops
wrote:

Yep.
I like to donate this stuff to the Habitat-For-Humanity Re-Store
... very good folks there - in my experience locally.
John T.

I broke the spherical glass shade for a ceiling fixture, and I found one
in the Re-Store in Ft. Lauderdale Florida. I asked myself if I really
wanted to cart the thing home to Baltimore on the plane, and I decided
to. 10 years later, I still haven't seen that size in glass in the
store, so I did the right thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 22:45:06 -0400, micky
wrote:

That 27-inch "portable" CRT TV weighed 90 pounds.

I had a 32" HD with the 16:9 CRT screen. It was 185 pounds.

I had a 60" mother-in-law who was 220 pounds.

I got rid of the TV by putting it by the curb with two trash stickers
on it. Want me to send you two?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 9:14:14 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/7/2015 5:44 PM, bob_villa wrote:
On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 3:09:56 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Next up- - - 60" curved screen Ultra HD. Praying for a bad thunderstorm.

Curved is a gimmick, it will diminish peripheral viewing. Good on your far side, but bad on your close side. 4k has some programming on satellite...sets have a built-in hard drive just for the demo!

By the time I'm ready to buy, 4k will be far more common. Remember when
networks only broadcast in color in the evening?

The curve is supposed to enhance peripheral viewing. I've not done any
serious viewing yet. The demo sure looks good though.

When HDTV came out, it was described as like looking through a window.
And when I first saw it, that's what I thought too. When I'm in Costco
looking at the 4K demos, now I think that looks like looking out a
window. Just shows how you get used to what you have.

AFAIK, there aren't any sources for true 4K yet. I guess regular HD
sources are supposed to look better anyway, they upconvert them somehow.
Whatever they are using for a demo source sure looks great. I wonder
what that source could be?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 7:27:40 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

AFAIK, there aren't any sources for true 4K yet. I guess regular HD
sources are supposed to look better anyway, they upconvert them somehow.
Whatever they are using for a demo source sure looks great. I wonder
what that source could be?

....you must have me blocked then...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 2:45:02 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 7 Oct 2015 10:10:51 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 4:03:59 AM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 1:49:38 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 06 Oct 2015 16:34:20 -0500,
wrote:

This sort of thing will be more and more of a problem as we keep adding
more and more wireless devices in our lives. They all run on radio waves
and there are only so many to choose from. Neighboring garage door
openers are a common problem for *your* garage door opener. That happens
regularly.

I'm having trouble with my computer speakers, so I took the wireless
speaker from the bathroom and it's right next to my chair. So I'm
running wirelessly 4 feet.

Tomorrow I'll try to fix the wired speakers, or the next day.

Have you ever used any Bluetooth stuff? My Chromebook has Bluetooth built-in and I got some Bluetooth headphones from Amazon. I listen to streaming radio stations on my Chromebook and when I roll into the bathroom, I wear the BT earphones. The rechargeable headset has about a 60 foot range which I think is pretty cool. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Blue Monster

I have a Bluetooth headset that I use with my smartphone. The range is
pretty good, it's the *angle* that's an issue.

I can put my phone on the picnic table and walk all over my yard without
any drop out. I can put it on the kitchen table and some walls will cause
drop out and some walls won't. For the walls that don't cause drop out,
the distance is fine. As I said, distance is not an issue.

However, if I put the phone in my holster and hang it on my belt, I get
drop out. I shouldn't be surprised, since the manual says this:

"For optimal reception, place mobile device above waist and on right side

Huh?

I'm pretty sure I didn't stutter. What don't you understand about that
instruction?

of body. Recommended placement is on your right arm."

Huh?

Once again, no stuttering.

Now, my holster *is* on the right side of my body, but I guess that's not
good enough. If I take it out of the holster and carry it in my right
all is good. (No, the holster is not metal, it's an open, flat plastic
holster.)

Something like this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...jL._SX425_.jpg

So it seems that straight down below my right ear is not a good location for it. However, in my right hand, swinging at waist level it is fine. Strange.

I guess I should try leaving it in the holster and carrying it in my right
hand. If I get drop out then, then maybe it is the holster, but other than
the pin and spring for the belt clip, it's all plastic.

Something to try tonight while I'm walking the dog.

And what about its requiring the right side, not the left? I'm tired
of the left side being picked on.

All controls are on the right side earpiece. I'll just bet that that has
something to do with why they want the transmitter on the right hand side.
Posted to alt.home.repair

When HDTV came out, it was described as like looking through a window.
And when I first saw it, that's what I thought too. When I'm in Costco
looking at the 4K demos, now I think that looks like looking out a
window. Just shows how you get used to what you have.

AFAIK, there aren't any sources for true 4K yet. I guess regular HD
sources are supposed to look better anyway, they upconvert them somehow.
Whatever they are using for a demo source sure looks great. I wonder
what that source could be?

... my brand new $ 600. LG 42 inch LED
seems to provide a poorer picture quality than the
old 32 inch RCA CRT that it's replacing !
.... could it be the cable ? or something else ?
It's fed by a Bell Expressvue satellite dish.
Or is it just a matter of my eyes adjusting to the change ?
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 9:52:06 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Here, some places charge a flat $10 to dispose of it; others do so
by *weight* (so bigger tubes cost more).

Our local disposal charges $1 per half inch. That's almost $65 for a
32 incher! 8|

nb

I'd smash or cut it up and bag it, dispose of some each week.

Radar O'Riley from M*A*S*H mailed a Jeep home, one piece at a time. ^_^

One trick to get rid of trash is to put it in a box, seal it shut, put a bow on and write "Happy Birthday Bubbles" then leave it in plain sight on your front steps or in front of your garage. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Trash Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 11:15:48 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

wrote:

This sort of thing will be more and more of a problem as we keep adding
more and more wireless devices in our lives. They all run on radio waves
and there are only so many to choose from. Neighboring garage door
openers are a common problem for *your* garage door opener. That happens
regularly.

I'm having trouble with my computer speakers, so I took the wireless
speaker from the bathroom and it's right next to my chair. So I'm
running wirelessly 4 feet.

Tomorrow I'll try to fix the wired speakers, or the next day.

Have you ever used any Bluetooth stuff? My Chromebook has Bluetooth built-in and I got some Bluetooth headphones

A little. Ii used bluetooth with a cell phone to copy the phonebook to
my computer and back again. I got a bluetooth dongle from Amazon for
$1.69. I bought two brands and one of them worked. The phone was a
samsung. Now unfortunately I have an Android that does its best to make
you use google to store your settings, and I don't want google or the
web knowing anything about my cell phone.

from Amazon. I listen to streaming radio stations on my Chromebook and when I roll into the bathroom, I wear the BT earphones. The rechargeable headset has about a 60 foot range which I think is pretty cool. ^_^

I didn't think Bluetooth went that far. I thought it was 20 feet. At
any rate, I buy what's cheap, and Bluetooth didn't even exist when I
bought all this.

Originally I bought one pair of RCA wireless speakers at a hamfest. from
a professional seller who occupied maybe 1600 square feet in one big
building. His price seemed low but I wasnt' sure. I listen mostly
to talk, and even music doesn't have to be stereo, so I put one speaker
in the kitchen and one in my bedroom. Happy with that, I bought
another pair at the next big hamfest and put one in the bathroom and
one in the basement.

One of the transmitters was bad, but he gave me another one that wasn't
in a box. They have volume and frequency controls on both the
transmitter and receivers, but frequency is easy to set.

Later I found one more not in a box at a hamfest and I bought that for
outside. And iirc I bought one more that doesn't have a wall-wart, and
I bought a wallwart of the right size and just have to put on a plug.

These are like the wireless speakers that used to be sold at Best Buy,
but more conservative in styling, and far cheaper.

I think I paid 20 a pair instead of 100 that Best Buy charged. So they
really were surplus, and probably cheaper to begin with. Now Best Buy
is charging 200 to 400 for a pair. Ridiculous. And I say that not
because I'm cheap, but because, If they could make good-enough speakers
for 40 or 50 15? years ago, they shouldnt' cost 200 now.

Now there's a pair just like mine on ebay, being sold separately for 35
plus 11 each, 92 dollars a pair, and Amazon has a pair for 300. I paid
20.

I have a stereo in-and-out Y connector in the output from the sound
card, and one side goes to the desktop speakers and the other side to
another Y connector. Then one side of that goes to the wireless
transmitter and the other side goes, depending on what works better, to
a balun and some cat6 cable, or to 50 foot RCA cables (and S-Video), to
my bedroom where the central TV area is. I just ordered additional
parts for that yesterday.

What I have is actually a rechargeable folding Bluetooth headset which has a microphone built-in to one of the earphones. They're inexpensive and work very well. I haven't tried video chat or Skype with them yet but I may some time soon. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CBNG10C

[8~{} Uncle Phone Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 11:47:55 AM UTC-5, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 10/06/2015 06:30 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

[snip]

Put black electrical tape over the infrared receiver on the front of the TV to determine if it's getting spurious infrared pulses. Someone has already mentioned electrolytics that may have gone bad. If it was mine, I'd probably fool around with it to try to repair it but last year I bought a new 32" LED TV from a pawnshop for $150 and the darn thing is lighter than my 23" LCD computer monitor. I was able to tuck it under one arm and carry it up my front steps. My housemate has a 32" CRT TV that takes at least two people to carry with some difficulty. ^_^

That 27-inch "portable" CRT TV weighed 90 pounds.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Back in the 70's I was working for an electronics company repairing WTF and I had to pick up a TV in the day room at the VA hospital. It was a 25" color TV on a rolling stand. I picked it up, put it on my shoulder to carry it out and I heard a roomful of old guys in wheelchairs let out a gasp when they saw me pick the TV up off the stand. I was a little stronger back then. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle TV Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/07/2015 09:45 PM, micky wrote:

[snip]

That 27-inch "portable" CRT TV weighed 90 pounds.

I had a 32" HD with the 16:9 CRT screen. It was 185 pounds.

I had a 60" mother-in-law who was 220 pounds.

I didn't know they made CRTs that big. Are you talking about a
projection TV with 3 CRTs?

--
78 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

If a member of McDonalds' staff was God:

"OK, one Universe. Uh, you want
fries with that?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

That 27-inch "portable" CRT TV weighed 90 pounds.

I had a 32" HD with the 16:9 CRT screen. It was 185 pounds.

I had a 60" mother-in-law who was 220 pounds.

I got rid of the TV by putting it by the curb with two trash stickers
on it. Want me to send you two?

Two TV's or two mothers-in-law?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 8 Oct 2015 08:40:05 -0700 (PDT), Uncle
Monster wrote:

On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 9:52:06 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Here, some places charge a flat $10 to dispose of it; others do so
by *weight* (so bigger tubes cost more).

Our local disposal charges $1 per half inch. That's almost $65 for a
32 incher! 8|

nb

I'd smash or cut it up and bag it, dispose of some each week.

Radar O'Riley from M*A*S*H mailed a Jeep home, one piece at a time. ^_^

Yeah. That didn't seem like him. Dishonest and all that.

One trick to get rid of trash is to put it in a box, seal it shut, put a bow on and write "Happy Birthday Bubbles" then leave it in plain sight on your front steps or in front of your garage. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Trash Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 8 Oct 2015 09:11:04 -0700 (PDT), Uncle
Monster wrote:

What I have is actually a rechargeable folding Bluetooth headset which has a microphone built-in to one of the earphones. They're inexpensive and work very well.

Do you know what brand you have? There's inexpensive, and then there
is that Tmart spam I get, and buy.com, with stuff so cheap I'm sure it
doesn't work or doesn't work well.

IIRC, I bought a phone from buy.com and something was missing or didn't
work and they woudln't send it to me. They said they only shipped whole
items, and I pointed out that they sold this separately, but they still
wouldn't send it.

I haven't tried video chat or Skype with them yet but I may some time soon. ^_^

Very good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Monster wrote:

On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 9:52:06 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Here, some places charge a flat $10 to dispose of it; others do so
by *weight* (so bigger tubes cost more).

Our local disposal charges $1 per half inch. That's almost $65 for a
32 incher! 8|

nb

I'd smash or cut it up and bag it, dispose of some each week.

Radar O'Riley from M*A*S*H mailed a Jeep home, one piece at a time. ^_^

Yeah. That didn't seem like him. Dishonest and all that.

You are referring to the "later" Radar. Early on, Radar was not such a nice guy.

Channeling a younger Radar, I stole the following from:

http://mash.wikia.com/wiki/Walter_%2...E2%80%99Reilly

======

"On television, Radar's character started off as worldly and sneaky, a clerk
who carried with him at all times a pocketful of passes for any potential
scam that might arise. He also sold tickets to the male members of MASH so
they could take turns sneaking looks through a peephole in the nurses'
showers and also used his camera to sneak pictures of the nurses showering.

He also won over $800 in poker playing with members of MASH and dismantled a
jeep and smuggled it home piece by piece. He once conned the entire company
of MASH 4077 into buying a pair of wing-tip shoes-although he was once
conned himself into spending over $50.00 for a improved writing course by
mail-which nearly drove Col. Potter crazy trying to read the daily reports.

He was known for his tremendous appetite for heaping portions of meat. He
was also not averse to drinking Col. Blake's brandy and smoking his cigars
when the colonel was off-duty. This character was apparently not wholly to
the writers' liking and he later became a naive and trusting farm boy, a
vegetarian, and cigars and strong liquor made him ill or dizzy. His favorite
beverage was a grape Nehi (non-alcoholic)."

======

There are also rumors that while Radar was (later on) a real nice guy on screen, at least one cast member claimed "Gary Burghoff may well have been the best actor in the company" possibly meaning that the "nice guy act" was nothing more than that. Off camera, Burghoff was apparently not a very nice guy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 7 Oct 2015 22:17:19 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message

That sounds like what they may be doing here, along with the same language
("free for a year"). Are you sure about that interpretation? It would be
wrong to give you something and then later charge for what they gave you.
Maybe it just means if you DON'T get any now you'll have to pay to get it
later.

I may be wrong for how long, but think it is a year. Anyway , after a
certain ammount of time the cable company will charge a $ 2.75 a month for
each device. Bad thing about it will not give all the channels, just the
standard TV that is already free on the analog TV that is going away on
cable.

You can get an A-B switch to switch from the cable input to a standard
antenna. You can get one with remote control so you don't have to get
up (I have that.), and maybe you can just connect both the cable and
the antenna with a $2-5 splitter (a joiner connected backwards) and I
think their signals are on separate frequencies that won't interfere
with each other.

Below is from their web page. Talking with some that have gone to this
converter box (the converter box for off the air TV will not work either)
say it is free for now to watch.

Digital Adapters are free for a limited time in some areas. Please refer to
our Digital Adapter support page for details

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 7 Oct 2015 21:14:14 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

By the time I'm ready to buy, 4k will be far more common. Remember when
networks only broadcast in color in the evening?

I don't remember that, but I remember when they didn't broadcast in
color at all.

"This program has been brought to you in compatible color"

which I didn't understand for another 30 years. Compatible meaning
black & white sets could understand it and show the picture in black and
white, and the opposite too, which iirc meant when they sent a black and
white show in compatible color, the color sets would render it in black
and white.

The curve is supposed to enhance peripheral viewing. I've not done any
serious viewing yet. The demo sure looks good though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message

[...]

We went through that in another recent thread. If you combine the
cable together with an antenna using the typical splitter, you will
be driving the antenna with the cable company's signals and radiating
them to the neighborhood. Cable companies and the FCC don't like that.
IDK what exactly an antenna has to do with his issues anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 08 Oct 2015 11:17:32 -0400, hubops
wrote:

When HDTV came out, it was described as like looking through a window.
And when I first saw it, that's what I thought too. When I'm in Costco
looking at the 4K demos, now I think that looks like looking out a
window. Just shows how you get used to what you have.

AFAIK, there aren't any sources for true 4K yet. I guess regular HD
sources are supposed to look better anyway, they upconvert them somehow.
Whatever they are using for a demo source sure looks great. I wonder
what that source could be?

... my brand new $ 600. LG 42 inch LED
seems to provide a poorer picture quality than the
old 32 inch RCA CRT that it's replacing !
... could it be the cable ? or something else ?

Check all your connections. What had been a perfect picture from my VCR
got quite bad. When I got behind the equipment, I found the F-connector
practically falling out of its jack behind the DVDR. Either the
outside/ground was barely touching the outside of the jack, or it wasn't
touching at all. I thought I put it in right, but it was hard to turn
the nut at that angle.

Consider speed adapters/connectors, that screw on to the F-connector and
then push on to the jack. Really only needed if you're going to be
disconnecting and connnecting, but in this case it would have helped me.
They also make right-angle adapters, which can make the connectors stick
backwards less, and not hit the back of the shelf.

It's fed by a Bell Expressvue satellite dish.
Or is it just a matter of my eyes adjusting to the change ?
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 11:18:50 AM UTC-4, hubops wrote:

When HDTV came out, it was described as like looking through a window.
And when I first saw it, that's what I thought too. When I'm in Costco
looking at the 4K demos, now I think that looks like looking out a
window. Just shows how you get used to what you have.

AFAIK, there aren't any sources for true 4K yet. I guess regular HD
sources are supposed to look better anyway, they upconvert them somehow.
Whatever they are using for a demo source sure looks great. I wonder
what that source could be?

... my brand new $ 600. LG 42 inch LED
seems to provide a poorer picture quality than the
old 32 inch RCA CRT that it's replacing !
... could it be the cable ? or something else ?
It's fed by a Bell Expressvue satellite dish.
Or is it just a matter of my eyes adjusting to the change ?
John T.

Is the box HD? You're connected to the HD outputs?
Via HDMI? Component video?

If you take a standard def source and blow it up
to 42", it's going to look poor. An HD source should
look excellent on a 42", much better than a std def
source on a 32". So, something it's right and I doubt
it's your eyes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2015 6:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/7/2015 5:44 PM, bob_villa wrote:
On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 3:09:56 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Next up- - - 60" curved screen Ultra HD. Praying for a bad thunderstorm.

Curved is a gimmick, it will diminish peripheral viewing. Good on your far
side, but bad on your close side. 4k has some programming on satellite...sets
have a built-in hard drive just for the demo!

By the time I'm ready to buy, 4k will be far more common. Remember when
networks only broadcast in color in the evening?

I remember when the NBC peacock would *start* spreading its feathers
in B&W and *finish* in "living color".

I also remember home-made bomb shelters in basements, dental "drills"
that were powered with cords on a cascade of articulated pulleys,
kerosene "bombs" (bowling balls with lit wicks) in construction areas
(instead of the orange dunce caps or blinking saw horses), fluoroscopes
in shoe stores, "whites only" water fountains, Georgia chain gangs, etc.

cripes, seems like ancient history! :-/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/8/2015 11:17 AM, hubops wrote:

... my brand new $ 600. LG 42 inch LED
seems to provide a poorer picture quality than the
old 32 inch RCA CRT that it's replacing !
... could it be the cable ? or something else ?
It's fed by a Bell Expressvue satellite dish.
Or is it just a matter of my eyes adjusting to the change ?
John T.

Do you have an HD receiver? If not, the picture is not up to top
quality. You should see a definite difference compared to a CRT.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 7 Oct 2015 05:54:56 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 7:31:07 PM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:

Most likely you have something in the power supply going bad. It'll get
worse and worse until it won't turn on at all. Bad cap(s). or HV fly
back circuit, etc. I don't think it is worth an effort to repair.

Has he tried using a different outlet to rule out a loose connection there?

Talk about a loose connection, when I lived in a 1930 building, in a
very small room (meant to be the maid's room) and the landlord failed to
provide heat, I used an electric heater, in 1978 or so. 48 year old
receptacle. I could tell it wasnt' tight but didn't think much about
it. Heater worked fine. The heater too was old, maybe also from about
1930. Its plug was fine, made from hard rubber. One morning I wake up
and see a 1- to 2-inch flame coming from the heater plug. I don't know
what woke me up or how long the flame had been there. (I assumed at the
time that it just started, and later the plug seemed undamaged or just
barely burnt, but who knows? I still have that heater. I should check.)

I reach for the cord to pull it out, and the girl I was with was awake
too and pulled my arm back before I could reach it. Did the same thing
again. I don't know what was wrong with her. Panic, I guess. Glad I
was stronger than she was, When I realized she would resist, I pushed
harder and pulled out the plug and the flame disappeared almost
immediately

The one-outlet receptacle wall plate had 10 or 20 layers of paint so I
didn't want to take it off to replace the receptacle, so I just didnt'
plug a heater (1000 watts) in there anymore, and I must not have needed
a heater anymore as long as I lived there. It worked fine with just a
TV. (I guess I should have replaced it. Could have cut the paint with
a knife or razor knife. I didn't like to bother the landlord and I did
better work than he did.)

My Sony, if it was on when there is a power interruption, remembers and
turns itself back on when power is restored. At least it does that if the
power comes back in 5 or 10 mins. IDK what it does if it's longer.

Maybe still.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/8/2015 1:09 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 10/07/2015 09:45 PM, micky wrote:

[snip]

That 27-inch "portable" CRT TV weighed 90 pounds.

I had a 32" HD with the 16:9 CRT screen. It was 185 pounds.

I had a 60" mother-in-law who was 220 pounds.

I didn't know they made CRTs that big. Are you talking about a
projection TV with 3 CRTs?

The biggest CRT for 4:3 was 35", but the 32" was the biggest 16:9.
Projection TVs were in the 40" range but had a crappy picture, IMO.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Monster wrote:

[...]

I followed your link but I got this: "You are not allowed to access this resource". I am using a VPN so that might be the problem. I seem to recall seeing Burghoff playing drums. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Radar Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Monster wrote:

[...]

Did you try Copy-Paste?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 11:58:20 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

[...]

Even more important, non-geared can openers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Monster wrote:

What I have is actually a rechargeable folding Bluetooth headset which has a microphone built-in to one of the earphones. They're inexpensive and work very well.

Do you know what brand you have? There's inexpensive, and then there
is that Tmart spam I get, and buy.com, with stuff so cheap I'm sure it
doesn't work or doesn't work well.

IIRC, I bought a phone from buy.com and something was missing or didn't
work and they woudln't send it to me. They said they only shipped whole
items, and I pointed out that they sold this separately, but they still
wouldn't send it.

I haven't tried video chat or Skype with them yet but I may some time soon. ^_^

Very good.

The Bluetooth headset is the SoundBot brand which I bought in July. It's been trouble free. I also have a Bluetooth adapter from them that works very well. Right now I have on wired headphones that are the AmazonBasics brand. They're inexpensive but they're very good quality. I wore out some studio ear covering sound isolation headphones that have a 20' cord which sell for $100 but the $15 AmazonBasics headphones which are surprisingly good make more sense. If I break them, they're cheap to replace. I can even buy some spares to have on hand or to give to friends. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NBEWB4U

[8~{} Uncle Ear Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/8/2015 12:46 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
cripes, seems like ancient history! :-/

Even more important, non-geared can openers.

We actually have used one of those for 20 years. One less thing to clutter
up the counters! Our old one died recently so we spent weeks searching
for a good replacement. (get older and your hands have more of a say in
what they are willing to do!)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Monster wrote:

[...]

Thanks. Looking at it now.

It turns! Michael Koblic Metalworking 2 July 14th 09 12:55 PM
REALLY TURNS ME ON!!! [email protected] UK diy 1 March 28th 08 04:18 PM
Curtis Mathes TV CM27001S turns on, then turns off Brad Electronics Repair 0 June 6th 07 09:01 PM
Curtis Mathes TV CM27001S turns on, then turns off Brad Electronics Repair 0 June 5th 07 08:05 PM
TV without red turns off Lanzar Electronics Repair 8 April 2nd 05 03:58 AM