Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default TV turns itself off & on ..

On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 9:14:14 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/7/2015 5:44 PM, bob_villa wrote:
On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 3:09:56 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Next up- - - 60" curved screen Ultra HD. Praying for a bad thunderstorm.

Curved is a gimmick, it will diminish peripheral viewing. Good on your far side, but bad on your close side. 4k has some programming on satellite...sets have a built-in hard drive just for the demo!

By the time I'm ready to buy, 4k will be far more common. Remember when
networks only broadcast in color in the evening?

The curve is supposed to enhance peripheral viewing. I've not done any
serious viewing yet. The demo sure looks good though.

When HDTV came out, it was described as like looking through a window.
And when I first saw it, that's what I thought too. When I'm in Costco
looking at the 4K demos, now I think that looks like looking out a
window. Just shows how you get used to what you have.

AFAIK, there aren't any sources for true 4K yet. I guess regular HD
sources are supposed to look better anyway, they upconvert them somehow.
Whatever they are using for a demo source sure looks great. I wonder
what that source could be?