Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default TV turns itself off & on ..

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 7 Oct 2015 05:54:56 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 7:31:07 PM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:

Most likely you have something in the power supply going bad. It'll get
worse and worse until it won't turn on at all. Bad cap(s). or HV fly
back circuit, etc. I don't think it is worth an effort to repair.

Has he tried using a different outlet to rule out a loose connection there?

Talk about a loose connection, when I lived in a 1930 building, in a
very small room (meant to be the maid's room) and the landlord failed to
provide heat, I used an electric heater, in 1978 or so. 48 year old
receptacle. I could tell it wasnt' tight but didn't think much about
it. Heater worked fine. The heater too was old, maybe also from about
1930. Its plug was fine, made from hard rubber. One morning I wake up
and see a 1- to 2-inch flame coming from the heater plug. I don't know
what woke me up or how long the flame had been there. (I assumed at the
time that it just started, and later the plug seemed undamaged or just
barely burnt, but who knows? I still have that heater. I should check.)

I reach for the cord to pull it out, and the girl I was with was awake
too and pulled my arm back before I could reach it. Did the same thing
again. I don't know what was wrong with her. Panic, I guess. Glad I
was stronger than she was, When I realized she would resist, I pushed
harder and pulled out the plug and the flame disappeared almost
immediately

The one-outlet receptacle wall plate had 10 or 20 layers of paint so I
didn't want to take it off to replace the receptacle, so I just didnt'
plug a heater (1000 watts) in there anymore, and I must not have needed
a heater anymore as long as I lived there. It worked fine with just a
TV. (I guess I should have replaced it. Could have cut the paint with
a knife or razor knife. I didn't like to bother the landlord and I did
better work than he did.)

My Sony, if it was on when there is a power interruption, remembers and
turns itself back on when power is restored. At least it does that if the
power comes back in 5 or 10 mins. IDK what it does if it's longer.

Maybe still.