Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default It turns!

So here is the almost-final version of the RedNeck lathe v5.01 (the last
video and subsequent 6 pictures in the set):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312...7614869315843/

I was kind of surprised that it did what it did. Rigid it ain't but it looks
like it might do at least some of the things I need it to do. Accuracy is
comparable to that of a sundial...

Some tweaking, especially of the motor mount, is required. Facing is next!

BTW how do you sharpen cheap boring bars with brazed carbide inserts? I kind
of lapped the two relevant surfaces on a diamond stone and hoped for the
best.

--
Michael Koblic
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-13, Michael Koblic wrote:
So here is the almost-final version of the RedNeck lathe v5.01 (the last
video and subsequent 6 pictures in the set):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312...7614869315843/

I was kind of surprised that it did what it did. Rigid it ain't but it looks
like it might do at least some of the things I need it to do. Accuracy is
comparable to that of a sundial...

O.K. The videos don't play on my system -- probably a Windows
specific format or player.

Some tweaking, especially of the motor mount, is required. Facing is next!

O.K.

BTW how do you sharpen cheap boring bars with brazed carbide inserts? I kind
of lapped the two relevant surfaces on a diamond stone and hoped for the
best.

You've done about all you can do -- unless you have a diamond
wheel on a tool and cutter grinder. Carbide is not going to be easy to
work with a normal grindstone.

Consider carbide inserts, so you can rotate the insert to
provide a fresh cutting edge, or replace it once you have run out of
rotations for a given insert.

Or -- make a boring bar using HSS lathe tool bits held in rods
with setscrews and ground to shape on a bench grinder.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snip

BTW how do you sharpen cheap boring bars with brazed carbide inserts? I
kind
of lapped the two relevant surfaces on a diamond stone and hoped for the
best.

You've done about all you can do -- unless you have a diamond
wheel on a tool and cutter grinder. Carbide is not going to be easy to
work with a normal grindstone.

Consider carbide inserts, so you can rotate the insert to
provide a fresh cutting edge, or replace it once you have run out of
rotations for a given insert.

Or -- make a boring bar using HSS lathe tool bits held in rods
with setscrews and ground to shape on a bench grinder.

Good Luck,
DoN.

Actually, if you get a green wheel, it sharpens much more easily than you
would expect. The soft green wheels lose the dull grains of abrasive quickly
so you have to dress the wheel often, but you can sharpen them about as
easily as HSS