Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mormon kitchen sink

Guess this is as good a day as any to mention my
latest home repair, the kitchen sink.

Sunday, I was washing my dinner dishes, and the sink
is draining very slowly. It's been doing that for
about twenty years, not much is new. I happened to
notice a bottle of drain crystals near the sink. Might
as well put some in, help clear the grease and crud out.

I put in about a table spoon of drain crystals, and
that didn't help much. Let that run till the water in
the sink drained down.

Not to be discouraged, I decided to try the boiling water
technique. I filled the tea kettle (or as I'm a Mormon,
that's a hot chocolate kettle) and put it on the stove. A
kettle of boilding water did no good, the drain is as slow
as it ever was. Four kettles of boiling water also did no
good.

Monday morning, I decided it was beyond tea kettle, and
we're into drain snake. I got out my pistol grip (sorry,
I got you all exctited, thinking I might own a gun; I do
not) crank type snake, and pushed it in. I got every inch
of the drain snake, probably 20 feet by 1/4 inch, and still
the drain does not flow.

Noticing there is a clean out under the kitchen counter,
went and bought a 40 feet long drain cleaner tape from
Lowe's. Sadly, the snake only goes about a foot, and
stops. (at an elbow, most likely).

I called on a friend of mine, we made plans to cut out the
bad pipe, and replace it. His wife had the car, so I drove
to pick him up. We pulled some trailer skirting, and looked
at the pipe. The pipe is over the tar paper and insullation
in the floor, and would be a lot of work to replace.

I cut the 1 1/2 black ABS pipe under the sink, and we tried
to run a drain snake in from below. Also no joy.

Parts run to the store. Buy an expanding bladder tip for the
garden hose. While there, buy a clean out, and a couple
Fernco couplers.

My garden hose faucet didn't have enough flow to expand
the bladder. Connect to a different faucet which had better
water flow.

The improved water flow expanded the bladder, and pushed
much of the grease and blockage down the line. There was a
section of drain pipe below the trailer which was connected
with Ferncos. Neighbor across the street had come along to
help out. He noticed it was a poor job, and so he pulled
the patch out.

Needed a cordless sawzall. The guy he knows who has one,
gets out of work in an hour.

With an hour till the saw arrives, time for another
parts run. Back to the parts store. Cut a length of
tube to fit, and then we discover we need another
Fercno coupler. Back to the store for a Fernco. Steve
called on my cell phone, need an elbow also.

I bought two Ferncos, and two elbows. Figure that's
cheaper than the gasoline to get to the store.

Back to the trailer. Steve had run his snake from
the bad patch job, back to the end of the trailer.
Steve declares the drain to be clear.

The job is not complete. I've got to reconnect the
pipe sculpture under the sink, and mop up the mess
where it got wet. The trailer smells like a clogged
kitchen sink drain, and that needs to be cleaned.

Later this morning, I'll reconnect the pipe under
the kitchen counter, and hope the drain is clear.

You can see why I've put this off for twenty years.
Lot of work, and it's not complete yet.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 23, 2015 at 7:20:59 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You can see why I've put this off for twenty years.
Lot of work, and it's not complete yet.

Nice, a story without a conclusion?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2015 8:29 AM, bob_villa wrote:
On Wednesday, September 23, 2015 at 7:20:59 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You can see why I've put this off for twenty years.
Lot of work, and it's not complete yet.

Nice, a story without a conclusion?

Surprised to hear he had a tea kettle:

https://www.mormon.org/faq/law-of-health
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 23, 2015 at 7:53:35 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On 9/23/2015 8:29 AM, bob_villa wrote:
On Wednesday, September 23, 2015 at 7:20:59 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You can see why I've put this off for twenty years.
Lot of work, and it's not complete yet.

Nice, a story without a conclusion?

Surprised to hear he had a tea kettle:

https://www.mormon.org/faq/law-of-health

He did say something about hot chocolate...but doesn't that have caffeine in it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've noticed it takes about an hour per year to do a job that needed
doing to get it done?
I gave up on my kitchen sink and just stuck the pipe out the wall,
hooked some PVC elbows and runs of pipe and move it around the yard a
bit when the mood hits me. Kitchen sink only. Yeah I know.... but it
work and the tomato plants like it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2015 8:53 AM, Frank wrote:

Nice, a story without a conclusion?

Surprised to hear he had a tea kettle:

https://www.mormon.org/faq/law-of-health

The pipe sculpture under the counter is
not reconnected, so no conclusion yet.

It's also an oatmeal kettle.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2015 9:53 AM, Since You Axed wrote:
I've noticed it takes about an hour per year to do a job that needed
doing to get it done?
I gave up on my kitchen sink and just stuck the pipe out the wall,
hooked some PVC elbows and runs of pipe and move it around the yard a
bit when the mood hits me. Kitchen sink only. Yeah I know.... but it
work and the tomato plants like it.

An hour a year.... I like that. And it
sure sounds true.

When I moved in, the kitchen sink drain
was not connected (about 20 feet back from
the kitchen). I maybe ought left it
unconnected. Would have worked a lot better.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2015 9:57 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 9/23/2015 8:53 AM, Frank wrote:

Nice, a story without a conclusion?

Surprised to hear he had a tea kettle:

https://www.mormon.org/faq/law-of-health

The pipe sculpture under the counter is
not reconnected, so no conclusion yet.

It's also an oatmeal kettle.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

I thought hot drinks were prohibited so that makes sense.

No coffee, no tea, no beer - I'll remain a Catholic - although I don't
believe in global warming.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 12:29:21 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

thought hot drinks were prohibited so that makes sense.

No coffee, no tea, no beer - I'll remain a Catholic - although I don't
believe in global warming.

Are you suggesting Mormon girls don't get horny? I've got news for
you. I've heard confessions1
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

If you removed blockage more often it would be less work. Drano (lye) works
well on grease, organic crud too. The aluminum shavings in it just heat it
up. However, it takes a while to dissolve stuff; in your case, quite a
while I'd guess and several applications.

Posted to alt.home.repair

snips

I've noticed - it takes about an hour per year to do a job
that needed doing - to get it done .

That's a good rule of thumb ! .. never heard it before - thanks.
ie: you add an hour - for every year that you procrastinate ?
... doesn't quite seem enough for some jobs, though .. ?
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2015 12:29 PM, Frank wrote:
On 9/23/2015 9:57 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The pipe sculpture under the counter is
not reconnected, so no conclusion yet.

It's also an oatmeal kettle.

I thought hot drinks were prohibited so that makes sense.

No coffee, no tea, no beer - I'll remain a Catholic - although I don't
believe in global warming.

Hot drinks was later interpreted to be tea and
coffee. Before anyone says caffeine, soda pop
and Mountain Dew are personal choice. I just
don't know why that is.

I heard on the radio that Pope Francis is
visiting USA.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2015 4:09 PM, dadiOH wrote:
If you removed blockage more often it would be less work. Drano (lye) works
well on grease, organic crud too. The aluminum shavings in it just heat it
up. However, it takes a while to dissolve stuff; in your case, quite a
while I'd guess and several applications.

Time to write a drain crystal schedule, and
keep up on things? What do you reccomend?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/23/2015 07:46 AM, bob_villa wrote:
On Wednesday, September 23, 2015 at 7:53:35 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On 9/23/2015 8:29 AM, bob_villa wrote:
On Wednesday, September 23, 2015 at 7:20:59 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You can see why I've put this off for twenty years.
Lot of work, and it's not complete yet.

Nice, a story without a conclusion?

Surprised to hear he had a tea kettle:

https://www.mormon.org/faq/law-of-health

He did say something about hot chocolate...but doesn't that have caffeine in it?

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-te.../89.9?lang=eng

"9 And again, hot drinks are not for the body or belly."

Doctrine and Covenants 89.9

Old Joe, like a lot of people in the prophet business, couldn't come out
with a bullet list of what he was talking about, leaving others to fill
in the blanks. I believe according the the Lord High Mukketymucks 'hot
drinks' means tea and coffee, whether or not they're actually hot. Had
Joe known about Monster he would have banned it too.

So cold Jolt is okay, hot Jolt maybe not so much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/23/2015 10:29 AM, Frank wrote:
No coffee, no tea, no beer - I'll remain a Catholic - although I don't
believe in global warming.

Beer is a sacrament in the Catholic and Lutheran churches. William
Jennings Bryan was doing okay until he trotted out the temperance thing
in the very German midwest.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/23/2015 04:56 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I heard on the radio that Pope Francis is
visiting USA.

Now is the time to abandon your heresy and be saved.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 9/23/2015 4:09 PM, dadiOH wrote:
If you removed blockage more often it would be less work. Drano
(lye) works well on grease, organic crud too. The aluminum shavings
in it just heat it up. However, it takes a while to dissolve stuff;
in your case, quite a while I'd guess and several applications.

Time to write a drain crystal schedule, and
keep up on things? What do you reccomend?

No schedule, just whenever you notice slowing.

If your plumbing is standard size, you might want to be careful of what you
are putting down it. Our standard size plumbing is 19 years old, nary a
clog.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message news
Guess this is as good a day as any to mention my
latest home repair, the kitchen sink.

Sunday, I was washing my dinner dishes, and the sink
is draining very slowly. It's been doing that for
about twenty years, not much is new. I happened to
notice a bottle of drain crystals near the sink. Might
as well put some in, help clear the grease and crud out.

Morning Stormin and all. Just how much did you spend on parts - excluding
gas?

I use one of those hand pumps for unblocking shower and sinks. I don't know
the generic name for these pumps but on ebay I searched drain buster etc
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...uster&_sacat=0
or
http://tinyurl.com/nlkvwxa
http://tinyurl.com/ntsnn29

It's important to get the type supplied with 2 sizes of suction heads (the
ones between $13.40 - $13.49).

Method : fill sink, shower tray with one inch warm water (this helps to form
a good seal). Pump firmly, maybe 5 - 10 times, until you feel the cold
sludge water being sucked into the pump handle (the pump is plastic, you'll
sense the cold water).

Squirt the sink-sludge water into a bucket. If it's the shower, squirt
water/hair balls down toilet or into bucket.

Repeat until sink/shower etc runs freely. Mine has lasted about 5 years now
but I can't remember where I bought it. The above Ebay items come from
China, so expect slow delivery. If anyone can remember the generic name for
these and can get to a US supplier, it would be much appreciated. HTH.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mormon kitchen sink (now banned drinks)

On 9/23/2015 10:53 PM, rbowman wrote:

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-te.../89.9?lang=eng

"9 And again, hot drinks are not for the body or belly."

Doctrine and Covenants 89.9

Old Joe, like a lot of people in the prophet business, couldn't come out
with a bullet list of what he was talking about, leaving others to fill
in the blanks. I believe according the the Lord High Mukketymucks 'hot
drinks' means tea and coffee, whether or not they're actually hot. Had
Joe known about Monster he would have banned it too.

So cold Jolt is okay, hot Jolt maybe not so much.

Actually Holy Joe is still heard, today, some would
say. About two or three years ago, the church banned
power drinks, and power shots. They did not list names,
but that would have to include five hour energy, Monster,
Red Bull, and I'd have to guess at the others.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2015 10:53 PM, rbowman wrote:
Old Joe, like a lot of people in the prophet business, couldn't come out
with a bullet list of what he was talking about, leaving others to fill
in the blanks. I believe according the the Lord High Mukketymucks 'hot
drinks' means tea and coffee, whether or not they're actually hot. Had
Joe known about Monster he would have banned it too.

So cold Jolt is okay, hot Jolt maybe not so much.

Thursday arrives. I tried the sink yesterday, after I
put it all together. Still needs the gaskets replaced
around where the drain meets the sink. One leaks badly.
The PVC isn't sized very well. Stil has an air gap or
two, around the pipes. I am thinking to replace the
two gaskets, got to buy those today. And also buy a
tube of silicone caulk, and put any where I think it
might be leaking. It's a hack way of doing it, but
at the moment I don't much care. Had enough of that
nonsense.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2015 5:48 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Time to write a drain crystal schedule, and
keep up on things? What do you reccomend?

No schedule, just whenever you notice slowing.

If your plumbing is standard size, you might want to be careful of what you
are putting down it. Our standard size plumbing is 19 years old, nary a
clog.

I like the "as needed" schedule. I did buy a couple
drain strainers, and plan to put less solid anything
into the kitchen drain.

Nary beats hairy, any day.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2015 7:26 AM, Rubin Vast wrote:

[...]

Hmm. I think the first trip to the store was about $15,
and the second one was about the same. I didn't expect
to need that data ever again, so didn't pay much attention.
One more trip, to get the flat gaskets for under where
the drain meets the sink.

Not sure that device would have worked very well, on this
application. The last owners of this trailer left me a
lot of congealed kitchen grease, for about 40 feet of
1 1/2 inch pipe. It needed some serious snaking out.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2015 4:01 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 12:29:21 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

thought hot drinks were prohibited so that makes sense.

No coffee, no tea, no beer - I'll remain a Catholic - although I don't
believe in global warming.

Are you suggesting Mormon girls don't get horny? I've got news for
you. I've heard confessions1

Never picked girls on the basis of their religion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2015 6:56 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 9/23/2015 12:29 PM, Frank wrote:
On 9/23/2015 9:57 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The pipe sculpture under the counter is
not reconnected, so no conclusion yet.

It's also an oatmeal kettle.

I thought hot drinks were prohibited so that makes sense.

No coffee, no tea, no beer - I'll remain a Catholic - although I don't
believe in global warming.

Hot drinks was later interpreted to be tea and
coffee. Before anyone says caffeine, soda pop
and Mountain Dew are personal choice. I just
don't know why that is.

I heard on the radio that Pope Francis is
visiting USA.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

I'm a cafeteria Catholic. Think most of us are.

Can a Mormon drink tea and still be considered a Mormon?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/24/2015 05:59 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Actually Holy Joe is still heard, today, some would
say. About two or three years ago, the church banned
power drinks, and power shots. They did not list names,
but that would have to include five hour energy, Monster,
Red Bull, and I'd have to guess at the others.

-

Oh, the joy of ongoing revelations... Get your latest fatwa here. I saw
an Iranian film, 'A Separation', a couple of years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Separation

When confronted with a situation that is ambiguous, the personal care
assistant whips out her cellphone and calls up Dial-A-Fatwa for the
advice on how to proceed.

It's a pretty good film and not at all political. However, it makes
everyday Iranians too human and isn't compatible with the official
demonization of the country.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/24/2015 07:24 AM, Frank wrote:
I'm a cafeteria Catholic. Think most of us are.

Can a Mormon drink tea and still be considered a Mormon?

As much as Kerry and Pelosi can be considered Catholics...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2015 10:08 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 09/24/2015 07:24 AM, Frank wrote:
I'm a cafeteria Catholic. Think most of us are.

Can a Mormon drink tea and still be considered a Mormon?

As much as Kerry and Pelosi can be considered Catholics...

That's what I would think, as well as Biden, whose politics support
abortion. Got to be a much greater sin than drinking tea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 08:30:10 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

Never picked girls on the basis of their religion.

Smart man. "Everyone one you miss, is one you want get"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2015 9:24 AM, Frank wrote:

I'm a cafeteria Catholic. Think most of us are.

Can a Mormon drink tea and still be considered a Mormon?

Yes, I will admit to doing so for the first year or so
of my church career. However, it limits the progress you
can make in church. And what callings you can have, what
privileges you may receive. For me, it was a struggle,
but I did give up tea. Milk, and lots of sugar, please.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2015 10:05 AM, rbowman wrote:

Oh, the joy of ongoing revelations... Get your latest fatwa here. I saw
an Iranian film, 'A Separation', a couple of years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Separation

When confronted with a situation that is ambiguous, the personal care
assistant whips out her cellphone and calls up Dial-A-Fatwa for the
advice on how to proceed.

It's a pretty good film and not at all political. However, it makes
everyday Iranians too human and isn't compatible with the official
demonization of the country.

Church organizations rely on continuing revelation
by whatever name. Life is no fun unless there is a
Papal Decree, a word from Billy Graham, a 614th rule
from the Jewish Council, or a message from the high
mucky mucks.

Without alcohol, drugs, coffee, there isn't much left
to do but make babies, and speculate on the next
revelation. I'm guessing the next one from Salt Lake,
we'll all have to get E-15 compatible cars.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thursday Sept 24, 2015

Thursday comes along. Steve came over. We went
to get some parts. Today was insullation day.
We got a couple sheets of foil wrapped white
foam. Screw that up under, and improve the
insulation.

While at the store, get some plumbers putty.

After screwing on some insulation, went in side.
Steve has the skills to put the putty in. Now,
no more leak. There is more to the job, I'm sure.
But for now, it's OK enough for me.

..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2015 5:04 PM, Neill Massello wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

One Mormon continues to work on his kitchen sink
drain.

Is a Mormon kitchen sink big enough for a year of dirty dishes?

Sigh. That would be too good to be true.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/24/2015 10:02 AM, Frank wrote:

That's what I would think, as well as Biden, whose politics support
abortion. Got to be a much greater sin than drinking tea.

It must have been a hoot watching the Democrats and Republicans sticking
their fingers in their ears at various points. Anybody who thinks
Francis is some sort of newly minted radical need to read Leo XIII's
'Rerum Novarum' from 1891.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/24/2015 02:19 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Church organizations rely on continuing revelation
by whatever name. Life is no fun unless there is a
Papal Decree, a word from Billy Graham, a 614th rule
from the Jewish Council, or a message from the high
mucky mucks.

Don't forget Big Mo. In my own way I'm too much of a traditionalist to
be comfortable with ongoing rewrites.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2015 7:03 AM, look wrote:
On 09/24/2015 08:04 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
One Mormon continues to work on his kitchen sink
drain.

Maybe when THE supreme being is done fuxing with us Earthlings, it
will announce it's *official* religion.

It would be a good laugh to find out we're all
wrong, and the official religion was some small
group no one much noticed.

About this time, Uncle Monster will suggest
Pastafarian....

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2015 8:22 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 9/25/2015 7:03 AM, look wrote:
On 09/24/2015 08:04 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
One Mormon continues to work on his kitchen sink
drain.

Maybe when THE supreme being is done fuxing with us Earthlings, it
will announce it's *official* religion.

It would be a good laugh to find out we're all
wrong, and the official religion was some small
group no one much noticed.

About this time, Uncle Monster will suggest
Pastafarian....

I suspect that our consciousness is recycled and that we keep coming back to the world we previously left.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 9/25/2015 7:03 AM, look wrote:
On 09/24/2015 08:04 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
One Mormon continues to work on his kitchen sink
drain.

Maybe when THE supreme being is done fuxing with us Earthlings, it
will announce it's *official* religion.

It would be a good laugh to find out we're all
wrong, and the official religion was some small
group no one much noticed.

About this time, Uncle Monster will suggest
Pastafarian....

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Legal Sea Foods is running TV ads encouraging folks to become Pescatarians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg4U42HMVbU

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/26/2015 06:59 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Legal Sea Foods is running TV ads encouraging folks to become Pescatarians.

They're still around? I remember eating a the original in Cambridge in
the early '70s. I imagine they've went upscale a bit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 23, 2015 at 5:20:59 AM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Guess this is as good a day as any to mention my
latest home repair, the kitchen sink.

Sunday, I was washing my dinner dishes, and the sink
is draining very slowly. It's been doing that for
about twenty years, not much is new. I happened to
notice a bottle of drain crystals near the sink. Might
as well put some in, help clear the grease and crud out.

Noticing there is a clean out under the kitchen counter,
went and bought a 40 feet long drain cleaner tape from
Lowe's. Sadly, the snake only goes about a foot, and
stops. (at an elbow, most likely).

You can see why I've put this off for twenty years.
Lot of work, and it's not complete yet.

Regular drain snakes don't work if hard pieces are stuck in
the drain. For those pieces it's better to use something
like the Roto Rooter type snake that can cut through hard
stuff.