Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The Kitchen Sink

howdy all,

I'm about to have a new stainless steel sink installed, the old one is
stainless also. On the bottom of the old sink it looks like it was
covered with the same material used as undercoating on cars. A rough
surface of black coating of some kind.

I assume it is there to prevent condensation from forming on the
bottom side of the sink(s) and dripping down onto the base cabinet.

The new sink is uncoated. Do I need to apply this type of coating?
If so where can I get it?

Thanks for any help.

C~C
Posted to alt.home.repair

CommanderCody wrote:
howdy all,

I'm about to have a new stainless steel sink installed, the old one is
stainless also. On the bottom of the old sink it looks like it was
covered with the same material used as undercoating on cars. A rough
surface of black coating of some kind.

I assume it is there to prevent condensation from forming on the
bottom side of the sink(s) and dripping down onto the base cabinet.

The new sink is uncoated. Do I need to apply this type of coating?
If so where can I get it?

Thanks for any help.

C~C

Maybe just a sound deading coating to make sink sound "sturdy"
Posted to alt.home.repair

"CommanderCody" wrote in message
howdy all,

I'm about to have a new stainless steel sink installed, the old one is
stainless also. On the bottom of the old sink it looks like it was
covered with the same material used as undercoating on cars. A rough
surface of black coating of some kind.

I assume it is there to prevent condensation from forming on the
bottom side of the sink(s) and dripping down onto the base cabinet.

The new sink is uncoated. Do I need to apply this type of coating?
If so where can I get it?

Thanks for any help.

C~C

I agree with Lou that the undercoat is to dampen the resonance from dripping
water. If your new sink does not have it you might not be getting a good
brand of sink.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

CommanderCody wrote:
howdy all,

I'm about to have a new stainless steel sink installed, the old one is
stainless also. On the bottom of the old sink it looks like it was
covered with the same material used as undercoating on cars. A rough
surface of black coating of some kind.

I assume it is there to prevent condensation from forming on the
bottom side of the sink(s) and dripping down onto the base cabinet.

The new sink is uncoated. Do I need to apply this type of coating?
If so where can I get it?

Thanks for any help.

C~C

I believe that is exactly the purpose for the coating, to prevent
condensation. I would think you could spray on an insulation from a can
and achieve the same thing if it is not on the new sink.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 11, 7:12*am, Ken wrote:
CommanderCody wrote:
howdy all,

I'm about to have a new stainless steel sink installed, the old one is
stainless also. *On the bottom of the old sink it looks like it was
covered with the same material used as undercoating on cars. *A rough
surface of black coating of some kind.

I assume it is there to prevent condensation from forming on the
bottom side of the sink(s) and dripping down onto the base cabinet.

The new sink is uncoated. *Do I need to apply this type of coating?
If so where can I get it?

Thanks for any help.

C~C

* * * * I believe that is exactly the purpose for the coating, to prevent
condensation. *I would think you could spray on an insulation from a can
and achieve the same thing if it is not on the new sink.

It is to deaden sound. If it was for condensation...the sides would
also be covered.
I have never heard or seen of moisture forming under a SS sink (as a
problem).

bob_v

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Roger Shoaf" wrote:

"CommanderCody" wrote in message
howdy all,

I'm about to have a new stainless steel sink installed, the old one is
stainless also. On the bottom of the old sink it looks like it was
covered with the same material used as undercoating on cars. A rough
surface of black coating of some kind.

I assume it is there to prevent condensation from forming on the
bottom side of the sink(s) and dripping down onto the base cabinet.

The new sink is uncoated. Do I need to apply this type of coating?
If so where can I get it?

Thanks for any help.

C~C

I agree with Lou that the undercoat is to dampen the resonance from dripping
water. If your new sink does not have it you might not be getting a good
brand of sink.

Some pieces of cheap self-adhesive floor tiles stuck on the bottom/sides
of the sink will deaden the resonance pretty well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

CommanderCody wrote:
howdy all,

I'm about to have a new stainless steel sink installed, the old one is
stainless also. On the bottom of the old sink it looks like it was
covered with the same material used as undercoating on cars. A rough
surface of black coating of some kind.

I assume it is there to prevent condensation from forming on the
bottom side of the sink(s) and dripping down onto the base cabinet.

The new sink is uncoated. Do I need to apply this type of coating?
If so where can I get it?

Thanks for any help.

I've got one of each (stainless). Neither experiences condensation. The one
with the goop doesn't clang as much when to toss in a fork, so I'd go with
the purpose being sound-deadening.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 11, 10:18*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
CommanderCody wrote:
howdy all,

I'm about to have a new stainless steel sink installed, the old one is
stainless also. *On the bottom of the old sink it looks like it was
covered with the same material used as undercoating on cars. *A rough
surface of black coating of some kind.

I assume it is there to prevent condensation from forming on the
bottom side of the sink(s) and dripping down onto the base cabinet.

The new sink is uncoated. *Do I need to apply this type of coating?
If so where can I get it?

Thanks for any help.

I've got one of each (stainless). Neither experiences condensation. The one
with the goop doesn't clang as much when to toss in a fork, so I'd go with
the purpose being sound-deadening.

It is definitely for sound deadening!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

CommanderCody wrote:
howdy all,

I'm about to have a new stainless steel sink installed, the old one is
stainless also. *On the bottom of the old sink it looks like it was
covered with the same material used as undercoating on cars. *A rough
surface of black coating of some kind.

I assume it is there to prevent condensation from forming on the
bottom side of the sink(s) and dripping down onto the base cabinet.

The new sink is uncoated. *Do I need to apply this type of coating?
If so where can I get it?

Thanks for any help.

I've got one of each (stainless). Neither experiences condensation. The one
with the goop doesn't clang as much when to toss in a fork, so I'd go with
the purpose being sound-deadening.

It is definitely for sound deadening!!!

Yup, if your new sink has NOTHING go to your local automotive boom-
boom stereo shop and ask for some scraps of Dynamat, stick a couple to
the underside of the sink to deaden the noise of the water hitting it,
plates being dropped, etc. If there's already a couple thin bits of
black stuff stuck to it, it's already been done for you and will
accomplish the same thing as the full "undercoating" of your old sink.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the advice and knowledge.

It would appear from the concensus its to muffle the sounds. Now that
I think about it that does make more sense than my all wet idea of
preventing condensation.

muchas gracias everyone.

C~C

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 11, 11:10*pm, CommanderCody
wrote:
Thanks for the advice and knowledge.

It would appear from the concensus its to muffle the sounds. *Now that
I think about it that does make more sense than my all wet idea of
preventing condensation. *

muchas gracias everyone.

C~C

An even better idea, since you're putting in a new sink, would be to
go look at some more sinks, do some research and find a better one
that already has sound deadening material and is probably a lot better
from other standpoints as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 12, 9:20*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

snip

Another idea - as grist for the mill - is to watch Craigslist. I got a
superb stainless double sink, complete with faucet and sprayer attachment,
for a paltry $15.

The chipped enamel sink it replaced worked, so I wasn't desperate. Just kept
watching and eventually what I wanted showed up. Patience*, if possible,
pays off.

----
* My latest score is a 78" tall, weight driven, grandfather clock. For fifty
bucks.

I'll pick it up in a couple of days and I'm all a-quiver over its
acquisition! I don't know if it works (it's mechanical clock, not the new
battery/quartz business), but I figure I can have a great deal of enjoyment
just fiddling with it.

Nice gloat. Enjoy.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 20:48:47 -0800 (PST), CommanderCody
wrote:

howdy all,

I'm about to have a new stainless steel sink installed, the old one is
stainless also. On the bottom of the old sink it looks like it was
covered with the same material used as undercoating on cars. A rough
surface of black coating of some kind.

I assume it is there to prevent condensation from forming on the
bottom side of the sink(s) and dripping down onto the base cabinet.

The new sink is uncoated. Do I need to apply this type of coating?
If so where can I get it?

Thanks for any help.

C~C

If you use your sink as an ice-water bath (I do when I want to cool
down a big pot of spag sauce) you may get condensate underneath. The
coating is a sound deadener. Maybe you can find a spray-on product at
the auto store.

Old kItchen sink Willie The Wimp Home Repair 2 June 17th 09 06:21 PM
Old kItchen sink [email protected] Home Repair 1 June 17th 09 03:35 AM
Kitchen Sink DIY? [email protected] Home Repair 11 July 23rd 06 03:04 PM
Can a single mixer kitchen tap be used on a double kitchen sink??? [email protected] UK diy 2 October 23rd 05 10:26 PM
kitchen sink problem: want single-flow crosstop deck sink mixer... but height clearance limited james UK diy 6 March 30th 04 02:43 PM