Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen Sink DIY?

As I always say when I post, I'm not much of a handyman, but I'm
learning. We need to replace our kitchen sink and I've already
purchased the replacement. We intend on keeping the hardware, but the
sink was chipped pretty badly from someone dropping something heavy
onto it.

I know someone who will replace the sink pretty cheaply, and he'd even
do plumbing, if necessary. I think I have almost an identical
replacement so I'm hoping that no actual changes to the plumbing will
be required.

My question is this: is replacing a sink (and keeping the old hardware)
sufficiently difficult that I should probably leave it to someone else,
assuming that I've never done it before and haven't even seen it done?
:-) Or, if I'm brave, is it sufficiently simple that I can do it
myself as long as I pay attention to how things came off?

Thanks!
John

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
wrote:
As I always say when I post, I'm not much of a handyman, but I'm
learning. We need to replace our kitchen sink and I've already
purchased the replacement. We intend on keeping the hardware, but the
sink was chipped pretty badly from someone dropping something heavy
onto it.

I know someone who will replace the sink pretty cheaply, and he'd even
do plumbing, if necessary. I think I have almost an identical
replacement so I'm hoping that no actual changes to the plumbing will
be required.

Or, if I'm brave, is it sufficiently simple
that I can do it myself as long as I pay attention to how things came
off?

Yes, assuming that the old and new sinks are the same size (including
depth), have the same faucet hole pattern and mount in the same manner (both
overmount or both undermount). If the depths are different you will
probably have to adjust the "P" trap under the sink.

You'll probably need a "basin wrench". It is an inexpensive piece of
hardware that lets you easily reach the nuts that hold on the faucet. Pick
up a small tub of plumper's putty too so you can put a bead under the new
sink, faucet nuts and drain.

I have some plumber's putty that I needed for another small project,
but the sink came with some Kitchen & Bath silicone sealant. I don't
have a basin wrench, though. I have crescent wrenches, channel locks,
and some wrenches and things, but that's about it. I probably should
pick up some more tools if I'm going to start doing more around the
house. :-)

Thanks!
John

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Read all the tips people here give you, then give it a try. What do you have
to lose?

If it goes in, great. You'll feel proud of yourself and save some money. If
it doesn't, then call in a plumber and be sure to keep your day job.

Rick

Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard Blaine wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Assuming I don't have to do any "real" plumbing (translation: my new
sink is the correct size), do I only need a basin wrench in addition to
the tools I mentioned? Will I need anything special to get the rest of
the old hardware off? Even if I don't need anything else, can you think
of anything that might make things easier?

Speaking of a basin wrench, I just looked them since I didn't even know
what they looked like. At first glance, I don't even see how they work,
but then I've never needed one before. I guess there's nothing like
buying one and using it to learn how to use it, huh?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Speaking of a basin wrench, I just looked them since I didn't even know
what they looked like. At first glance, I don't even see how they work,
but then I've never needed one before. I guess there's nothing like
buying one and using it to learn how to use it, huh?

You don't need one.

The basin wrench is used to reach up between the sink and back of cabinet to
remove the nuts holding the faucets in place. Since you are removing the
old sink, just disconnect the faucets and drain line, then lift the entire
assembly up and out. Remove the faucets and put them on the new sink, as
well as the trap. Reverse the procedure to install with a new rim seal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...

Richard Blaine wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Enter "install kitchen sink" in Google-- then jump back. There's dozens of
sites that will tell you what to do and how to do it.

Rick

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
Speaking of a basin wrench, I just looked them since I didn't even know
what they looked like. At first glance, I don't even see how they work,
but then I've never needed one before. I guess there's nothing like
buying one and using it to learn how to use it, huh?

You don't need one.

The basin wrench is used to reach up between the sink and back of cabinet to
remove the nuts holding the faucets in place. Since you are removing the
old sink, just disconnect the faucets and drain line, then lift the entire
assembly up and out. Remove the faucets and put them on the new sink, as
well as the trap. Reverse the procedure to install with a new rim seal.

As someone in your exact situation about six months ago, I did a
successful replacement of my sink. As this person suggested, I would
highly recommend that you attach as much of the hardware to the
upsidedown sink as possible *before* putting the sink in place - my
neck was killing me by the end of the day because I didn't do that.
This might also alleviate the need for a basin wrench.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
Speaking of a basin wrench, I just looked them since I didn't even
know what they looked like. At first glance, I don't even see how
they work, but then I've never needed one before. I guess there's
nothing like buying one and using it to learn how to use it, huh?

You don't need one.

The basin wrench is used to reach up between the sink and back of
cabinet to remove the nuts holding the faucets in place. Since you
are removing the old sink, just disconnect the faucets and drain
line, then lift the entire assembly up and out. Remove the faucets
and put them on the new sink, as well as the trap. Reverse the
procedure to install with a new rim seal.

That works too (I had just awakened from a nap)

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Okay, I've got everything disconnected and I'm ready to pull my sink
out. Unfortunately, the darn thing is attached pretty firmly. I've
undone the mounting screws, so it seems like all that's holding it to
the counter is the sealant. Any tips on how to pry this thing off
without hurting something, including myself? ;-)