Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen sink collects water in the quarter inch between sink andbackplate

Kitchen sink set in fake marble has a quarter inch space of marble
between the back of the sink and the marble wall plate.

It collects a pool of water and grime.

Any ideas for preventing that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Adair Bordon wrote:
Kitchen sink set in fake marble has a quarter inch space of marble
between the back of the sink and the marble wall plate.

It collects a pool of water and grime.

Any ideas for preventing that?

Don't use the sink .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 10:10:45 PM UTC-6, Adair Bordon wrote:
Kitchen sink set in fake marble has a quarter inch space of marble
between the back of the sink and the marble wall plate.

It collects a pool of water and grime.

Any ideas for preventing that?

What kind of sink, surface mount, below the countertop mount? Do you mean backsplash when you say wall plate???

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry Coombs wrote, on Thu, 22 Jan 2015 23:32:34 -0600:

Don't use the sink .

It looks very much like this picture except that it is 90 degree
tile of marble all around the sink instead of formed formica like
in this picture.

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH..._HIDLEA_12.JPG

I am sure EVERYONE with this type of setup has water and coooties
collecting in that 1/4 inch space behind the sink and in front of
the wall.

So maybe someone has a clever idea to prevent this other than not
using the sink?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Adair Bordon wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote, on Thu, 22 Jan 2015 23:32:34 -0600:

Don't use the sink .

It looks very much like this picture except that it is 90 degree
tile of marble all around the sink instead of formed formica like
in this picture.

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH..._HIDLEA_12.JPG

I am sure EVERYONE with this type of setup has water and coooties
collecting in that 1/4 inch space behind the sink and in front of
the wall.

So maybe someone has a clever idea to prevent this other than not
using the sink?

Hi,
You may have a water leak from the faucet. Splash wall and counter top
has nothing to do collecting water unless there is a leak some where
around there. Even if you wipe the water off, does it collect again and
again? Do a good investigation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Adair Bordon wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote, on Thu, 22 Jan 2015 23:32:34 -0600:

Don't use the sink .

It looks very much like this picture except that it is 90 degree
tile of marble all around the sink instead of formed formica like
in this picture.

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH..._HIDLEA_12.JPG

I am sure EVERYONE with this type of setup has water and coooties
collecting in that 1/4 inch space behind the sink and in front of
the wall.

So maybe someone has a clever idea to prevent this other than not
using the sink?

The only way I know of to prevent this problem is to have an undermount
sink - fairly common with "cultured marble" and corian-type tops , not so
much with othe kinds . It's a lot more common than people realize , and the
only way tto prevent it really is to not use the sink . Since that isn't an
option , your only recourse is to keep a sponge or something handy to dry
the area after use . Be glad you have a steel sink (assuming the picture in
the link you posted is accurate) and not the "self-rimming" kind .
Oh , and there shpould be more than a quarter inch space back there , the
top may have the hole cut too far back - or the backsplash is thicker than
the usual 3/4" .
--
Snag
Corian fabricator , cabinet maker , retired - and now a part time machinist

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry Coombs wrote, on Fri, 23 Jan 2015 00:11:15 -0600:

your only recourse is to keep a sponge or something handy to dry the
area after use .

I stuff a sponge there in fact. But I prefer a better solution.
I am thinking clear caulk to fill up the channel?

Be glad you have a steel sink (assuming the picture in
the link you posted is accurate) and not the "self-rimming" kind .

It is not steel. The picture was steel but my sink is pink enamel.
I think it is steel or iron though. But with pink enamel on it.

Oh , and there shpould be more than a quarter inch space back there ,
the
top may have the hole cut too far back - or the backsplash is thicker
than the usual 3/4" .

I can fit a typical kitchen scotch sponge but I have to squeeze it to
get it to fit sidewise. My finger does not fit.

What do you think about filling the channel with clear silicone?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote, on Thu, 22 Jan 2015 23:04:06 -0700:

You may have a water leak from the faucet. Splash wall and counter top
has nothing to do collecting water unless there is a leak some where
around there. Even if you wipe the water off, does it collect again and
again? Do a good investigation.

No leak. It's splash for sure. I do dishes in the sink (dishwasher
is broken which is a different question).

All that splashing splashes water in the channel and on the floor.
I can wipe the floor easily. But that channel is a pain.

It also channels water to the dish drying cloth at the sides of the
sink, which makes the corner soaking wet since that cloth is hydro
philic.

Plus over time coooties develop there if I don't clean it daily.
It is a kitchen sink. It should be designed to NOT have that thin
channel.

I am thinking of filling the channel with SOMETHING but what?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Adair Bordon" wrote in message

Terry Coombs wrote, on Thu, 22 Jan 2015 23:32:34 -0600:

Don't use the sink .

It looks very much like this picture except that it is 90 degree
tile of marble all around the sink instead of formed formica like
in this picture.

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH..._HIDLEA_12.JPG

I am sure EVERYONE with this type of setup has water and coooties
collecting in that 1/4 inch space behind the sink and in front of
the wall.

So maybe someone has a clever idea to prevent this other than not
using the sink?

No simple one. Two complex ones would be setting the sink either more
forward or back, the other is to use an undermount or tile in sink.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

Adair Bordon wrote:

What do you think about filling the channel with clear silicone?

I think you'll find that filling it will make more problems . Water will
still infiltrate , but be trapped and that same gunk will now be growing
under the silicone . There are no both easy and good solutions for this
problem . It sounds from your description that you do have a self-rim sink .
Is there a narrow stainless steel band around the edge ?
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry Coombs wrote, on Fri, 23 Jan 2015 06:56:56 -0600:

It sounds from your description that you do have a self-rim sink .
Is there a narrow stainless steel band around the edge ?

No. The sink appears to be just set into the counter hole.

I understand that you're saying if I fill it with silicone,
mold will grow underneath, which I've seen before in showers.

That's why I asked for ideas.
It's a lousy yet very common design.

Me?

I'd design it better in the first place.
Dunno how, but, one thought would be that the backsplash would be
a single curved-at-the-bottom piece of formed granite (if that exists).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Adair Bordon wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote, on Fri, 23 Jan 2015 06:56:56 -0600:

It sounds from your description that you do have a self-rim sink .
Is there a narrow stainless steel band around the edge ?

No. The sink appears to be just set into the counter hole.

I understand that you're saying if I fill it with silicone,
mold will grow underneath, which I've seen before in showers.

That's why I asked for ideas.
It's a lousy yet very common design.

Me?

I'd design it better in the first place.
Dunno how, but, one thought would be that the backsplash would be
a single curved-at-the-bottom piece of formed granite (if that
exists).

There are ways to have a seamless curved transition between the deck and the
backsplash , but it's difficult and expensive . My personal preference is an
undermount sink . In solid surface (corian type) countertops you can
actually fabricate the sink as an integral part of the countertop .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry Coombs wrote, on Fri, 23 Jan 2015 09:33:40 -0600:

There are ways to have a seamless curved transition between
the deck and the backsplash

That's why I'm trying to backfill.

BTW, it seems to be about 1/2 inch, maybe slightly less.
I can get my index finger in there, but not my thumb.

I just want to get rid of it, somehow.
The best I can think of is caulk, but I do agree that I've seen
mold UNDER caulk, so, it might seep under anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

We just swipe 1/2 of a paper towel on the end of our fingers across the area in question when we cleanup at the end of dinner. Never had any problems in 50+ years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

As said, caulk will make the problem bigger down the road. You could rebuild the counter or simply wipe the space with a towel or sponge. If the faucet is leaking from bad packing or a bad cartridge, you should repair that first.