Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do you filter the water from your kitchen sink?

Three years ago, I have bought the one just like the one below but
mine is with the filter in the front compartment. I really loves it.
I used it filtered water for rinsing everything I eat and in cooking
too.

http://www0.epinions.com/hmgd-review...0-38913F66-bd1

Starting middle or early last year, I was having porblem to get the
same exact filter replacement made for my PUR dispenser. Late last
year, I called the manufacturer and was told that the filters that say
on the box "for all pitchers and dispenser" would work. In fact,
that's the one I had been using when I couldn't get the kind that came
with the dispenser I bought. See the filters here http://
www.jgdesign.com/datasheets/
Targe_Pur_Plus_Water_Filtration_Dispenser.htm

I don't know whether the filter location makes a difference; mine is
in the front area. So the problem I was getting with every filkter I
bought was that, they'd stopp working w/o finishing the cycle (the red
indicator stopped moving) and also, didn't stop the water flow
probably because it didn't reach the end of the cycle.

I am a fan of pur; used to use faucet mount before but gave uo after
breaking several ones.
I don't want a bigger dispenser because I am going to move to an
apartment (preferably in another city) from this family owned house. I
don't want to buy too many things due to potential space issue in my
future place.

Early on after moving to this place, neighbor would have helped me if
I wanted to install under the sink filtration but then he would want
to get into my bed too. Frankly, I don't want to put such a filtration
system. I don't like pitchers either. I keep this dispenser on the
counter, not in the fridge.

One thing I can do is move this dispenser to my bedroom - I don't
drink enough water and this would rmake me drink when I get up. But I
need to get a filtration system?

Any recommendation what I should get? Should get under the sink one
and then take it with me when I move? If so, which one is the easiet
to install?

My friend who's strated a second job is quiting the old one and he
will have time to help me. He is 28 or 29 but the being baby, he
never had to do anything like this cus his brothers took care of
things. But I think we can manage to install. I want that kind of
system only if I can take it with me.

Even with the filtered faucet water in the kitchen sink, I can filter
drinking water again (via a pitcher to save space) if that is a better
way to go, ie. not put expensive under-the-sink system because I'll be
washing pots and pans and what not.

Any recommendation what I should get if there is an under-the-sink
system that's easy to install and remove? If there is no such thing
that are easy to install, I guess I should just get another dispenser
like the one I have.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Amanda" wrote in message
oups.com...

What substances are you trying to filter out? What is the name of the local
water authority where your tap water comes from?

Any recommendation what I should get if there is an under-the-sink
system that's easy to install and remove? If there is no such thing
that are easy to install, I guess I should just get another dispenser
like the one I have.

In your other thread, you said you were moving, so installing a thermostat
was out of the question. Now, you're talking about installing a water
filter. What's with the contradiction?

Posted to alt.home.repair

BTW, I don't worry bout lead problem. This house is a little over 3
years old; I have been living here 1 3/4 year.

http://www.ehow.com/how_16271_choose...iltration.html

"STEP 4: Think about getting an in-line reverse-osmosis filtering
system if your water test shows sodium, ferrous iron, nitrates, lead,
fluoride or organic contaminants. Be aware that a reverse-osmosis
system puts out a limited amount of drinking water and wastes a lot of
water (about 4 gallons of wasted water per gallon of clear water). If
your water's calcium count is high, you'll need to use a water
softener with this system (see "eHow to Eliminate Hard Water'). "

I don't want reverse-osmosis since it waste water and I doubt that I
have lead issue.

Is it really necessary to test the water to see what's in it?

I might change my mind about Pur thought the filter I was using
initially would remove lindane.

http://www.waterfiltercomparisons.co...son_Matrix.cfm
Shower filter comparison: http://www.showerfiltercomparisons.net/
So far Aquasana is the best deal but the links leades to the ad; That
turns me off.

I am getting some useful info; I might as well share the info here.
http://www.bestfilters.com/water_filter_ratings.html

I still want your opinion and recommednation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Amanda" wrote in message
oups.com...
BTW, I don't worry bout lead problem. This house is a little over 3
years old; I have been living here 1 3/4 year.

http://www.ehow.com/how_16271_choose...iltration.html

"STEP 4: Think about getting an in-line reverse-osmosis filtering
system if your water test shows sodium, ferrous iron, nitrates, lead,
fluoride or organic contaminants. Be aware that a reverse-osmosis
system puts out a limited amount of drinking water and wastes a lot of
water (about 4 gallons of wasted water per gallon of clear water). If
your water's calcium count is high, you'll need to use a water
softener with this system (see "eHow to Eliminate Hard Water'). "

I don't want reverse-osmosis since it waste water and I doubt that I
have lead issue.

Is it really necessary to test the water to see what's in it?

What is the name of your water company/authority? Many have a web site. The
law requires that they provide annual water quality reports, and yours may
be on the web site. If not, call them and they will send you one for free.
It will list the chemicals found in the water supply.

This assumes, of course, that you're serious about this, which I suspect you
are not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 12:17 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Amanda" wrote in message

oups.com...

What substances are you trying to filter out?

What is the name of the local water authority where your tap water comes from?

I guess Sacramento wtaer autheroity? It taste okay but not for
drinkng enough. Now with my filter messed up, I haven't been drinking
nough water. I just ran out of all my 1 Gallon water bottles purchased
for 99 cent a gallon I kept for emergency.

Any recommendation what I should get if there is an under-the-sink
system that's easy to install and remove? If there is no such thing
that are easy to install, I guess I should just get another dispenser
like the one I have.

In your other thread, you said you were moving, so installing a thermostat
was out of the question. Now, you're talking about installing a water
filter. What's with the contradiction?

I said "if I can take the water filter off easily and take it with
me".

I am not in need of a thermostat but am in need of a water filter.
Do you use logic based on facts presented before you criticize?

Posted to alt.home.repair

oups.com...
"Amanda" wrote in message

[...]

This is a link to your water quality report. It links directly to a PDF
file, so if your computer pauses while that program loads, don't think
something spooky's going on.

http://www.cityofsacramento.org/util...U_CCR_2005.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

oups.com...
"Amanda" wrote in message

[...]

By the way, you can take a thermostat with you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 12:30 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Amanda" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Am I supposed to care about you assumption?

In the past I played it safe as much as I could w/o under the sink
system by buying PUR advanced filter which said it removed certain
bacteria - gave names. That should give you a clue whether I am
serious or not.

If I can't take the damn thing with me, and if it is difficult to
install, I won't bother with under the sink.

The neighbor I mentioned put a systrem from walmart under the sink
(and also connected to his fridge - he is handy with those work) and
then used a countertop one at his kitchen sink, I guess for cooking
and drinking. This as*****e wanted to put shevles in my garage for
the space I don't need. He wanted a reason to come to my place; he
wasn't interested 1-day project like water filtration, not that I
asked him for help. I didn't ask him to do anythign knowing where his
mind was. I got rid of him completely and so I didn't get the info on
what he used for under-the-sink.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 12:40 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Amanda" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Feb 6, 12:17 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Amanda" wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

But I don't need a thermostat and not interested in replacing it just
for winter. I leave it on for summer and early fall except when I am
not home.

Whe I move, it will be in an apartment where management might not like
me replacing things. They can't stop me for adding water filter unless
they have one already, can they,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Amanda" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 6, 12:40 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Amanda" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Feb 6, 12:17 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Amanda" wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

Get a filter jug. The biggest annoyance in most water is chlorine and the
occasional turbidity (also known as dirt). A Brita jug will handle those
things.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 12:53 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Amanda" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Feb 6, 12:40 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Amanda" wrote in message

groups.com...

On Feb 6, 12:17 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Amanda" wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

Same as sediments?

A Brita jug will handle those things.

It seems that the water quality here is good; so I don't need
expensive filtration, I guess.

The video for Brita Classic said it can filter 40 Gallons:
http://www.expotv.com/videos/Housewa...stem/93,16437/

Even the cheapest price of 5 pack ($37.40) filter will cost 18.7 cent
per gallon; single buying at $9.15 will cost 22 cents/gallon. Not bad
but is the following a better deal since all I need is mainly for
Chlorine?

Replacement filter (for over the counter, under-sink, etc.) at:
http://www.watertanks.com/category/327/

Look at superior countertop water filter system. At $58.88 for 2500
gallons will give 2.36 cents per gallon. It says "Does an outstanding
job filtering Chlorine taste and odor, sediment, rust and more". Does
that mean it won't filter almost all Chlorine?

Aquasan AQ 4000 (countertop) model at
http://www.waterfiltercomparisons.co...son_Matrix.cfm
is 10 cents per gallon $48.00/500 gallons). Retail $124.99 for $99.99
right now at http://www.aquasana.com/?&discountcode=wfcOV but I don't
know how easy to install it. Says
"AQ-4000 Deluxe Drinking Water System
Includes 2 filter cartridges, faucet adapter & instructions.
For a LIMITED time Get 1 FREE"

Ah..they have installtion video but it doesn't seem to be working. As
enticing as it is, I have no room + I will always have to buy filter
online. So Brita it is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The first review on Brita at

http://www.amazon.com/Brita-Replacem...ers-3-Pack/dp/
B00004SU18

gives annoying info: "Do not let the filter dry out. "

But, Bob likes it:

best filter I've found, December 22, 2002
Reviewer: Bob Sacamano "Monk" (Atlanta, GA United States) - See all my
reviews
In California the water tends to be very hard. I purchased an under
the sink two stage water filtration system and thought the problem
would be solved. The water still tasted bad so I bought a Brita
pitcher filter. Unbelievable! It tasted so good. I think it's because
each filter has silver oxide particles mixed in with the charcoal and
it softens the water very well. I wish I would have tried this filter
first.

This the reason I don't like pitcher:
http://www0.epinions.com/hmgd-review...395E6108-prod4

"Cons
Takes three times to the faucet before pitcher is completely filled"

One annoyance

You can't fill up the pitcher in one shot. That is, the holding tank
that you pour the water into before it passes through the filter is a
lot smaller than the pitcher itself, so it takes about three fillings
of the holding tank to fill one pitcher.

So no Brita pitcher for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 6 Feb 2007 12:03:38 -0800, "Amanda" wrote:

How do I filter the water from my kitchen sink?

I use my gastro-intestinal track and my kidneys to separate the water
into water which makes urine, and the other dissolved stuff I do other
things with.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

"Amanda" wrote in message

oups.com...

What substances are you trying to filter out?

What is the name of the local water authority where your tap water comes from?

I guess Sacramento wtaer autheroity? It taste okay but not for
drinkng enough. Now with my filter messed up, I haven't been drinking
nough water. I just ran out of all my 1 Gallon water bottles purchased
for 99 cent a gallon I kept for emergency.

Why not just buy milk in gallons and use those bottles? Or apple
juice in half gallons, or even sodi pop or ice tea in bottles. All
are reuseable. And the bottles are comparatively free because they
have to package the liquids in something.

Any recommendation what I should get if there is an under-the-sink
system that's easy to install and remove? If there is no such thing
that are easy to install, I guess I should just get another dispenser
like the one I have.

In your other thread, you said you were moving, so installing a thermostat
was out of the question. Now, you're talking about installing a water
filter. What's with the contradiction?

I said "if I can take the water filter off easily and take it with
me".

I am not in need of a thermostat but am in need of a water filter.
Do you use logic based on facts presented before you criticize?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 6 Feb 2007 12:45:44 -0800, "Amanda" wrote:

I guess for cooking
and drinking. This as*****e wanted to put shevles in my garage for

What is the point of putting asterisks in the middle of a vulgar or
profane word? You still remind all the readers who know the word of
what you mean, which is just about as bad as using the word directly.

And you still inform people that you know the word, which a modest
woman wouldn't do.

And you give me the impression that if we could hear you and not read
the words, you would actually say it or something close.

The asterisks don't accomplish anything. It's still just as vulgar.

There are words like jerk, fool, pain in the neck, etc. which would
have meant the same without making you look bad.

the space I don't need. He wanted a reason to come to my place; he
wasn't interested 1-day project like water filtration, not that I
asked him for help. I didn't ask him to do anythign knowing where his
mind was. I got rid of him completely and so I didn't get the info on
what he used for under-the-sink.

In addition, even if what you imagine is true, that's no reason to
insult him so much. He didn't twist your arm. He made an offer to
put in shelves which he allowed you to refuse.

And your imagination might well not be true. There are lots of reasons
he might have thought you needed shelves besides what you imagine.
Half the posts here think you need things you haven't asked for, and
no one here wants to come to your place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've used Britta pitchers for over 10 years. It requires very little
maintenance and the filters are available, sometimes at a big
discount.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I just ran out of all my 1 Gallon water bottles purchased
for 99 cent a gallon I kept for emergency.

Why not just buy milk in gallons and use those bottles? Or apple
juice in half gallons, or even sodi pop or ice tea in bottles. All
are reuseable.

Ah..you missed the point. That *Spring water* is just the right
flavor.

And the bottles are comparatively free because they have to package the liquids in
something.

What about reusing the bottle of those Srpign water. They have a
handle and so it's easy to carry. Are they reusable? If so, I'll go
retrieve them from the trash bin. There are about 5 in there. I missed
the trash pick-up last Friday.

I haven't been buying 1 gallon milk for a long time. Used to drink a
lot but not these past 2-3 years.

Any recommendation what I should get if there is an under-the-sink
system that's easy to install and remove? If there is no such thing
that are easy to install, I guess I should just get another dispenser
like the one I have.

In your other thread, you said you were moving, so installing a thermostat
was out of the question. Now, you're talking about installing a water
filter. What's with the contradiction?

I said "if I can take the water filter off easily and take it with
me".

I am not in need of a thermostat but am in need of a water filter.
Do you use logic based on facts presented before you criticize?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 7:21 pm, mm wrote:
On 6 Feb 2007 12:45:44 -0800, "Amanda" wrote:

I guess for cooking
and drinking. This as*****e wanted to put shevles in my garage for

What is the point of putting asterisks in the middle of a vulgar or
profane word? You still remind all the readers who know the word of
what you mean, which is just about as bad as using the word directly.

And you still inform people that you know the word, which a modest
woman wouldn't do.

So knowing the word makes awomen nto modest. I like your logic..not.,
The point was to hsow my anger. You don't know the extent he went to
get inot my bed or get me into his. What a low lie. He's 50 or 51 and
was asn asked me such nosey questions.

And you give me the impression that if we could hear you and not read
the words, you would actually say it or something close.

Of course I could and would say it, gladly.

The only reason I didn't spellit out this time was to show some
respect to some nice people here. These days, I am tired of being
nice, a nice perosnI eman, I don't care to be a nice lady. What is *a
nice lady* anyway? Taking crap from abusive smart alecs? I started
using the f-word just once a few days ago and only yesterday, I
decorated my post with planty of it in the other thread in this ng.
And I won't apologize for it.

The asterisks don't accomplish anything. It's still just as vulgar.

I was trying not to be vulgar.

There are words like jerk, fool, pain in the neck, etc. which would
have meant the same without making you look bad.

No, he's an asshole. A lot more than jerk.

the space I don't need. He wanted a reason to come to my place; he
wasn't interested 1-day project like water filtration, not that I
asked him for help. I didn't ask him to do anythign knowing where his
mind was. I got rid of him completely and so I didn't get the info on
what he used for under-the-sink.

In addition, even if what you imagine is true, that's no reason to
insult him so much.

Imagine?

He didn't twist your arm. He made an offer to
put in shelves which he allowed you to refuse.

He didn't just offer; he was pressuring me all the time. He would stop
by my place on his way home ( in walking distance on 4-bloks down)
from work to see how I was doing and what I needed and then tell me
about the shelves. It's annoying. Across from his house was where my
sister's house, the first house bought in this area just before my Mom
and twin were coming. (No one lives there at the moment.) At the time
my mom and twin arrived, my younger brother was finishing school in
San Deigo, and coming back soon. My nephew was coming back from San
Francisco, to live with my sister, and attend college locally. So
there were 4 of them, and the shevles were needed and so my twin did
that with his offer. He never really helped. He was trying on my twin.
My twin got so mad that she didn't talk to him. The old man nxet door
ended up helpign my twin with putting the shevels.

Do you still think the asshole is nice? I am even telling you about
him trying on my oldest sister.

And your imagination might well not be true.

Do you want to be plonked for defending assholes?

There are lots of reasons
he might have thought you needed shelves besides what you imagine.

Why would I need shevles in the garage of this BIG house, living
alone. We take in some peopel but only temporary as they are not
family. This place is already too big to dust and vaccum.

Half the posts here think you need things you haven't asked for, and
no one here wants to come to your place.

Now you are paranoid.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

How does this thing work? Not sure what you mean by
"they'd stopp working w/o finishing the cycle (the red
indicator stopped moving) and also, didn't stop the water flow
probably because it didn't reach the end of the cycle".
Is this powered or something? My only experience is with either the
pitcher ones where you just pour the water in and gravity moves it, or
the ones that attach to the water line or the faucet.

On Feb 6, 3:03 pm, "Amanda" wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 7, 9:57 am, "z" wrote:
How does this thing work?

There is a red indicator that moves in circular motion, When it
rteaches the end, no more water if filtered and no flow of water. But
the filters that I have been getting ever since I couldn't find the
ones with the picture of my dispenser on it, would NEVER finsih the
cycle but would stopp filtering with the water still flowing, i.e I am
getting tap water.

Not sure what you mean by
"they'd stopp working w/o finishing the cycle (the red
indicator stopped moving) and also, didn't stop the water flow
probably because it didn't reach the end of the cycle".

Is this powered or something?

No. I think it moves as the water gets filtered. I don't know the
mechanism of it. Pur is the only brand with that indicator, So
replacement requireemnt doesn't go with months and goes with the
amount of water used.

My only experience is with either the
pitcher ones where you just pour the water in and gravity moves it, or
the ones that attach to the water line or the faucet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 7, 3:39 am, Phisherman wrote:
I've used Britta pitchers for over 10 years. It requires very little
maintenance and the filters are available, sometimes at a big
discount.

Are there different choices for Brita pitcher filters? How much
Chlorine does the one you have filters? From what I read, it only does
75%, ie 76%.

I don't like pitcher. If I gives reasons why, I am sure some people
will get on my nerve but I will just pa-lonk them and tell you why.

- I have to wait till water filetrs through before refilling, i.e
small amount of filling at a time to get the pitcher instead of just
fill and go do other things
- I have to lift it up to pour water unlike with dispenser where I
just flip water-flow control.
- Yesterday, I found out that those Brita filters need to be kept wet.
If that's really true, it is the most stupid requirement. Not to
mention about 76% Chlorine filtration.

The new PUR dispenser is smaller in size than the PUR dispenser I
have. But it seems that unless I get a countertop, that's what I need
to go with.

I am not sure how easy to install the Aquasana AQ 4000 countertop.
Beside, it takes a lot of space though it can be converted to under-
the-sink dispenser as well as faucet mount. If Kenmore countertop
filter 34551 does what the ad says, it would have bene my choice but
the 2nd review at
http://www0.epinions.com/hmgd-Small_...r_Filter_34551
said this:

Filter
The unit comes with a carbon filter which filters out "odor" and
"taste". It's really the most basic filter you can buy and probably
does little to filter much else, including chlorine. This is probably
the extent of filtering that is available at those "Aqua-Vend"
machines at the market where 1 Gallon of water is 25 cents. This is
also the most basic filtration for Brita and Pur units. As the other
review stated on here, it is HIGHLY recommended that you purchase a
replacement filter with the unit for a more aggressively filtered, and
cleaner tasting, batch of water. Obviously, Kenmore is made by Sears
so I checked out the other filters available in the same section. I
became EXTREMELY confused.

Kenmore Deluxe 38465 (countertop) filter Chorine better than Kenmore
34551 (countertop) but it cost the same per gallon as Aquasana AQ 4000
(countertop) which filters CYSTS and MTBE additonally to what Kenmore
38465 filters. See at http://www.waterfiltercomparisons.com/
Water_Filter_Comparison_Matrix.cfm

It seems that I'll have to go with PUR dispenser with PUR Ultimate
filter. Annoying to have to spend money on th dispenser again. And to
keep both dispenser when I move would be unthinkable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The asterisks don't accomplish anything. It's still just as vulgar.

I was trying not to be vulgar.

I meant to say "I was NOT trying not to be vulgar."

Did I mention he''s married?

[..]

Do you still think the asshole is nice? I am even telling you about
him trying on my oldest sister.

I meant "I am NOT even telling ..."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 7, 3:39 am, Phisherman wrote:
I've used Britta pitchers for over 10 years. It requires very little
maintenance and the filters are available, sometimes at a big
discount.

You might want to check how well Brita pitcher works in filtering
Chlorine. I am not impressed with it. I haven't checked how many
different filter choices for it though.

With PUR dispenser (pitcher available too) at
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000067DW0

it comes to about 25 cents a gallon with PUR Ultimate (2-Stage filter)
and 17 cents a gallon with PUR advantge (1-stage filter; CRF 1550) if
you buy 3 Pk but you said, you get great discount for Brita. So I
don't know what your rate comes to. Note" Trems "Ultimate" and
"Advantage" is not used for pitchers and dispenser anymore. Box would
say 2-stage or 1-stage.

PUR 1-stage filter is at
http://www.target.com/gp/search.html...72152-8936942?
field-keywords=pur+advantge+filter&url=index%3Dtarget

Dispenser model that I have it DS 1800; filter required according to
the info on that model is CRF 950 which is currently called 2-stage
filter for pitcher - used to be called PUR Ultimate. Second stage of
filtering is for microbial cysts - GIARDIA and CRYPTOSPORIDIUM - and
so it's not necessary for my city water.

To see which contaminants PUR filter for pitchers and dispenser
see http://www.purwater.com/yourwater/pitchers.shtml

Faucet mount has 2 stage and 3 stage choices; 3 stage is overkill IMO,
filering things that are not in water supply.

Anyway, I don't understand why the indicator in CRF 950 stops working
everytime. I'll try again or try 1 stage this time and see what
happens.

If I use enough water, I'll use Aqasana AQ4000 countertop _easy to
install - which filters a lot more stuff and better. But filter needs
changing every 6 mos regardless of the amount of water use. At $48.00
(for 500 gallaons) , cost is $96.00 per year. I think I use 4 filter
replacement (PUR dispenser) the most, hence 40 gallons x 4 = 160
gallons a year at $40/00 the most or less if I use 1 stage filter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

PUR Pitcher at

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Small_App...ispenser_CR800

Posted to alt.home.repair

New design of PUR dispenser DS 1800:
http://www.epinions.com/pr-Small_App...spenser_DS1800

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 7, 1:43 pm, "Amanda" wrote:
New design of PUR dispenser DS 1800:http://www.epinions.com/pr-Small_App...ter_Filter_Dis...

Reviw via
http://www.epinions.com/pr-Small_App...spenser_DS1800

At http://www.epinions.com/pr-Small_Appliances-
PUR_Plus_Water_Filter_Dispenser_DS1800/display_~reviews

"Good product, but deceptively advertised"

Reviewer is referring to

At full review:
http://www.epinions.com/content_155678969476

"As far as filtration of various unhealthy substances Pur claims its
filters were tested and certified by the NSF, a reputable independent
lab. I check with the NSF and they confirmed all claims made by Pur.
One need to realize that Pur's main filtering element is plain
activated carbon, which among other things softens the water by
removing minerals, including those like calcium and magnesium that are
important for health. Pur on its web site claims that its filters do
not have water softeners, which is true but nevertheless deceptive. "

"But my main beef with Pur is its filtering capacity. They claim it to
be up to 40 gallons. Pur's definition of "up to" is not what you might
expect, however. Actually, it is 10 gallons of normal filtering, after
which if begins to take longer and longer, and by about 20 gallons, it
pretty much clogged. If you can wait half a day and longer, it will
eventually pass the water through for another 10 gallons or so, but
even if you don't mind waiting, the big question is whether it's still
filtering out anything any more, or maybe even actually releasing what
was filtered out previously back in. If you replace it after 20
gallons, this amounts to about 50-70 cents a gallon. So it is still
more economical than brand name bottled water, plus the convenience. "

I think I found my answer in the last para which I failed to read
yesterady to the end. The current CRF 950 quality has suffered. It
cloggs up, not filtering but lettign the water flows, and hence, the
red indicator stops moving. I am not buying these filters anymor.

will try Aqasana if I would bother filtering at all since my city
water doesn't say it has those microbial cysts.

Crystal Geyser bottled water at 99 cents a gallaon is best for making
protein shake.

I was right to suspect that PUR, after getting popular, is cheating us
now.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 7 Feb 2007 08:34:15 -0800, "Amanda" wrote:

I just ran out of all my 1 Gallon water bottles purchased
for 99 cent a gallon I kept for emergency.

Why not just buy milk in gallons and use those bottles? Or apple
juice in half gallons, or even sodi pop or ice tea in bottles. All
are reuseable.

Ah..you missed the point. That *Spring water* is just the right
flavor.

And the bottles are comparatively free because they have to package the liquids in
something.

What about reusing the bottle of those Srpign water. They have a

Sounds good to me. There's even a spring about 10 miles from here,
right along a quiet road, where the water comes out about 4 feet above
the road. Perfect.

handle and so it's easy to carry. Are they reusable? If so, I'll go

Sure. Leave the cap off so they dry inside, although I'm not sure
that is necessary.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Feb 7, 1:11 pm, "Amanda" wrote:
On Feb 7, 9:57 am, "z" wrote:

[...]

Interesting. For a while Britta was giving some kind of clockwork (?)
indicator that sat on top of the filter in the pitcher and had a
pointer that was supposed to go around to point to when you needed to
change it; didn't really work for me, and I guess that's why they
don't give you them any more. I guess these things are supposed to get
driven by the water running through? I would bet the problem you have
with the Pur is similarly a malfunction of the indicator, not the
filter. Which after all, doesn't have moving parts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 9, 2:39 pm, "z" wrote:
On Feb 7, 1:11 pm, "Amanda" wrote:

On Feb 7, 9:57 am, "z" wrote:

[...]

It could be.

But like a review at eopinion said, unlike at the beginning stage of a
new filter, the water gets filtered so slowly as times goes by, an
indication of things clogging up in the filter. That may have caused
the malfunctioin of the moving of the indicator.
I never had that problem with the filters I was getting with the pic
of dispenser on the box. It always finsihed the cycle. So I think it
is the quality of the filter issue. Since the water doesn't flows fast
anymore, it affects the indicator moving capability. In another word,
PUR started cheating in quality because it happened to every filter
(of that newere version) I got.

Which after all, doesn't have moving parts.

Yup. It probably depends ont he water flow. SInce the water started
flowing slower during to filter clogging up, the moving mechanism got
affected.

I wonder whether anyone uses the Aquasana AQ 4000 countertop model. It
costs 10 cents per gallon but must get 2 filters each year, costing
$96.00 a year regradless I made use of the filter to the fullest of
500 gallon per filter. It seems that PUR with filters cloggig up would
end up costiing me more since intsead of lasting 3 month, these
filters are lasting like a month and stop wokring.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Amanda wrote:
BTW, I don't worry bout lead problem. This house is a little over 3
years old; I have been living here 1 3/4 year.

http://www.ehow.com/how_16271_choose...iltration.html

"STEP 4: Think about getting an in-line reverse-osmosis filtering
system if your water test shows sodium, ferrous iron, nitrates, lead,
fluoride or organic contaminants. Be aware that a reverse-osmosis
system puts out a limited amount of drinking water and wastes a lot of
water (about 4 gallons of wasted water per gallon of clear water). If
your water's calcium count is high, you'll need to use a water
softener with this system (see "eHow to Eliminate Hard Water'). "

I don't want reverse-osmosis since it waste water and I doubt that I
have lead issue.

The amount of water it wastes, in terms of cost, is miniscule. If it's
really a concern, you can recover that water in a jug, and use it for
plants or something.

RO is the only type of home system that really is worthwhile. The PUR
will remove chlorine taste, but it doesn't really do much else.

You can get a countertop RO system, i.e.
"http://www.thstore.com/thstore/ProductInfo2.asp?ID=W-TGI-CT-445&GroupID=225"
but it's more expensive than a regular RO system from Costco ($140).

They do have zero waste RO systems now, though they are much more expensive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 1:01 pm, SMS wrote:
Amanda wrote:
[...]

Are you sure?

After reading someone saying at epinion.com about the PUR filter
plugging up before the end of filter life, today I thought about
boiling the water first to remove the chlorine and then cooling it
before filtering with PUR. I wonder that would make the filter not get
clogged too early.

I like the size of PUR dispenser but will let it go unless this
approach doesn't work.

You can get a countertop RO system, i.e.
"http://www.thstore.com/thstore/ProductInfo2.asp?ID=W-TGI-CT-445&Group..."
but it's more expensive than a regular RO system from Costco ($140).

They do have zero waste RO systems now, though they are much more expensive.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Amanda" wrote in message
After reading someone saying at epinion.com about the PUR filter
plugging up before the end of filter life, today I thought about
boiling the water first to remove the chlorine and then cooling it
before filtering with PUR. I wonder that would make the filter not get
clogged too early.

That certainly sounds like a PITA. Just putting the water in a bottle in the
fridge will get rid of the chlorine in about 12 to 24 hours.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 8:21 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Amanda" wrote in message
After reading someone saying at epinion.com about the PUR filter
plugging up before the end of filter life, today I thought about
boiling the water first to remove the chlorine and then cooling it
before filtering with PUR. I wonder that would make the filter not get
clogged too early.

That certainly sounds like a PITA. Just putting the water in a bottle in the
fridge will get rid of the chlorine in about 12 to 24 hours.

I don't like cold water. I will have to let it un-cold again. I have
a kettle I use all the time to boil water to put into a pot to boil
noodle and so it's pretty fast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Amanda" wrote in message

I don't like cold water. I will have to let it un-cold again.

Then just put the water in a bottle on the counter. Chlorine will be gone
in hours.