Posted to alt.home.repair
Amanda Amanda is offline

Default How do you filter the water from your kitchen sink?

On Feb 7, 3:39 am, Phisherman wrote:
I've used Britta pitchers for over 10 years. It requires very little
maintenance and the filters are available, sometimes at a big
discount.

You might want to check how well Brita pitcher works in filtering
Chlorine. I am not impressed with it. I haven't checked how many
different filter choices for it though.

With PUR dispenser (pitcher available too) at
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000067DW0

it comes to about 25 cents a gallon with PUR Ultimate (2-Stage filter)
and 17 cents a gallon with PUR advantge (1-stage filter; CRF 1550) if
you buy 3 Pk but you said, you get great discount for Brita. So I
don't know what your rate comes to. Note" Trems "Ultimate" and
"Advantage" is not used for pitchers and dispenser anymore. Box would
say 2-stage or 1-stage.

PUR 1-stage filter is at
http://www.target.com/gp/search.html...72152-8936942?
field-keywords=pur+advantge+filter&url=index%3Dtarget

Dispenser model that I have it DS 1800; filter required according to
the info on that model is CRF 950 which is currently called 2-stage
filter for pitcher - used to be called PUR Ultimate. Second stage of
filtering is for microbial cysts - GIARDIA and CRYPTOSPORIDIUM - and
so it's not necessary for my city water.

To see which contaminants PUR filter for pitchers and dispenser
see http://www.purwater.com/yourwater/pitchers.shtml

Faucet mount has 2 stage and 3 stage choices; 3 stage is overkill IMO,
filering things that are not in water supply.

Anyway, I don't understand why the indicator in CRF 950 stops working
everytime. I'll try again or try 1 stage this time and see what
happens.

If I use enough water, I'll use Aqasana AQ4000 countertop _easy to
install - which filters a lot more stuff and better. But filter needs
changing every 6 mos regardless of the amount of water use. At $48.00
(for 500 gallaons) , cost is $96.00 per year. I think I use 4 filter
replacement (PUR dispenser) the most, hence 40 gallons x 4 = 160
gallons a year at $40/00 the most or less if I use 1 stage filter.