Posted to alt.home.repair
Amanda Amanda is offline

Default How do you filter the water from your kitchen sink?

On Feb 9, 2:39 pm, "z" wrote:
On Feb 7, 1:11 pm, "Amanda" wrote:

On Feb 7, 9:57 am, "z" wrote:

How does this thing work?

There is a red indicator that moves in circular motion, When it
rteaches the end, no more water if filtered and no flow of water. But
the filters that I have been getting ever since I couldn't find the
ones with the picture of my dispenser on it, would NEVER finsih the
cycle but would stopp filtering with the water still flowing, i.e I am
getting tap water.

Not sure what you mean by
"they'd stopp working w/o finishing the cycle (the red
indicator stopped moving) and also, didn't stop the water flow
probably because it didn't reach the end of the cycle".
Is this powered or something?

No. I think it moves as the water gets filtered. I don't know the
mechanism of it. Pur is the only brand with that indicator, So
replacement requireemnt doesn't go with months and goes with the
amount of water used.

Interesting. For a while Britta was giving some kind of clockwork (?)
indicator that sat on top of the filter in the pitcher and had a
pointer that was supposed to go around to point to when you needed to
change it; didn't really work for me, and I guess that's why they
don't give you them any more. I guess these things are supposed to get
driven by the water running through?

I would bet the problem you have with the Pur is similarly a malfunction of the indicator, not the filter.

It could be.

But like a review at eopinion said, unlike at the beginning stage of a
new filter, the water gets filtered so slowly as times goes by, an
indication of things clogging up in the filter. That may have caused
the malfunctioin of the moving of the indicator.
I never had that problem with the filters I was getting with the pic
of dispenser on the box. It always finsihed the cycle. So I think it
is the quality of the filter issue. Since the water doesn't flows fast
anymore, it affects the indicator moving capability. In another word,
PUR started cheating in quality because it happened to every filter
(of that newere version) I got.

Which after all, doesn't have moving parts.

Yup. It probably depends ont he water flow. SInce the water started
flowing slower during to filter clogging up, the moving mechanism got
affected.

I wonder whether anyone uses the Aquasana AQ 4000 countertop model. It
costs 10 cents per gallon but must get 2 filters each year, costing
$96.00 a year regradless I made use of the filter to the fullest of
500 gallon per filter. It seems that PUR with filters cloggig up would
end up costiing me more since intsead of lasting 3 month, these
filters are lasting like a month and stop wokring.