Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Daylight Stupid Time

In article ,
Mark Lloyd wrote:

On 03/06/2015 08:21 PM, Reggie wrote:
"bob haller" wrote in message
On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 9:07:59 PM UTC-5, T wrote:
Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins on March 8, 2015 at 2:00 am (PST).

I LOVE DST more daylight in the evening!

Whoever runs that DST stuff are fools. They keep giving up the extra hour
of daylight each year. If they just moved forward each year, and never
back, before long we would have 24 hours of daylight. Then they could quit
messing with the clocks.

Notice that no amount of messing with clocks changes the amount of
daylight. Why would anyone think our government could change the Earth's
rotation (and for PART of the planet, something even more absurd).

The theory was usable daylight. So you took time off of the time you
were generally sleeping and put it at the end of the day when you are
generally awake. Now, how that works in real life I don't begin to know.
--
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Mark Lloyd wrote:

The little GPS device in the car or in your pocket already does it. Via
the satellite GPS readings it not only sets itself to the atomic clock,
it also determines what time zone you're in and displays it. Rather
interesting to watch it switch over crossing from Illinois to Indiana.

And it could be confusing if you're close to the line and not sure which
state your device thinks it's in.

They don't care about geography. The time on the cell phone is based on
the tower they are currently tied to.
--
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²
‹ Aaron Levenstein
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 15:45:11 -0600, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Hi neighbor!

There's an opportunity to make your fortune! Make a digital watch with a
button to change beteen two time zones. I wouldn't be surprized if it
hasn't already been done. If nothing else, some have a need to check GMT.

I've seen clocks with timezone switches. One thing lacking was a way to
disable DST. You can't use this clock in Arizona :-)

That's like my microwave oven. The damn thing only has a 24 hour clock
(military time). That really annoys me. I dont need a clock on the
microwave anyhow, 5 minutes cooking time is still 5 minutes no matter
what the clock says, but there is no way to disable the time display, or
change it to 12 hour time. And I cant put tape over the display or I
wont be able to see my cooking time..... I would not have bought this
Microwave had I known the clock was so screwed up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 7, 2015 at 3:52:40 PM UTC-5, T wrote:
On 03/07/2015 11:54 AM,

On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 9:07:59 PM UTC-5, T wrote:
Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins on March 8, 2015 at 2:00 am (PST).

I LOVE DST more daylight in the evening!

Same here. I wish they would just leave it DST all year round!

1+ Just chose one. Or even half way in between!

I've been promoting 1/2hour forward saving time for years now. 1 hour forward year-round would simple make it too dark in the mornings from November to February, especially in the Western halves of each time zone.

See, I actually researched the effects of all this, so I know what I'm talking about. For every degree East of the prime meridian(middle of a time zone) apparent sunrise will occur 4 minutes earlier. So will moonrise, or the rise of any celestial object. For every degree West of that mid-point of the time zone, apparent sunrise will occur 4 min later.

I.E. Sunrise in Philadelphia PA on March 7 is 6:25AM. Philadelphia happens to be right on the 75th degree prime meridian for the Eastern time Zone. Pittsburgh, while roughly the same latitude, is 4 degrees West of Philly, which equates to a 16-minute delay in apparent sunrise(4 degrees times 4 minutes). Sunrise in Pitt would hence occur at 6:41AM.

Going in the other direction, Boston, slightly north of Philly in latitude, is 6 degrees East of it. So on March 7 sunrise in Boston would be at (6deg x 4 minutes = 24 min) 6:01AM.

Throw DST into the mix the next day, March 8, and that Pittsburgh sunrise is one LATE sunrise - 7:40AM - for this time of year!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sam E wrote:
On 03/07/2015 09:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 08:13:04 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

T wrote:
Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins on March 8, 2015 at 2:00 am (PST).
Hi,
Isn't that American invention? I hate turning clocks, watches
forward/backward every year. Why just go to work early or late?

There is always someone complaining about DST, but you are probably
not managing properly and watching your Daylight Savings account grow.
I've been saving daylight every year and when I retire, I'm going to
use it on a nice long trip. While you are in the dark, I'm going to
enjoy all the daylight I've saved.

Where do you keep your daylight savings? Do you get interest on it? How
about income tax?

Hi,
I bet on the clound, LOL!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 7, 2015 at 4:29:40 PM UTC-5, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 03/06/2015 08:36 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/6/2015 9:07 PM, T wrote:
Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins on March 8, 2015 at 2:00 am (PST).

Only white man think blanket longer, cut
foot off one end and sew on other.

I remember reading that blanket story in school. I think of it every
time I hear of this DST nonsense.

Yes, you get an extra hour of daylight IN THE EVENING. Thats' because
you did everything earlier, not because TIME changed.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"To be good is noble, but to teach others how to be good is nobler --
and less trouble." -- Mark Twain

"Extra hour of Daylight" is the wrong way to describe the effect of DST. DST does not "add" daylight to the day!

It simply changes when we do things - by changing the time on the CLOCK. You can set your clock to ANY TIME you want it to be, and live by that time. It just means you will be going through your daily routine by that much time earlier or later than everyone else. *Your* 6AM might be everyone else's 5AM, or 4AM, or 7AM, depending on which way you adjusted your clock.

For DST, everyone turns their clock forward 1 hour, so that sunrise, BY THE CLOCK, occurs 1 hour later. It still rises at 6:20 standard time on a given day, but rises at 7:20 BY THE CLOCK during DST. Correspondingly, it sets at 6:50 BY THE CLOCK during DST, as opposed to 5:50pm ordinary time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

This one figures to be high on Bad Golferman's
list next month.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 7, 2015 at 6:49:25 PM UTC-5, Phil Kangas wrote:

UTC-5, T wrote:
Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins on
March 8, 2015 at 2:00 am (PST).

I LOVE DST more daylight in the evening!

Same here. I wish they would just leave it
DST all year round!

1+ Just chose one. Or even half way in
between!

Any of those. Also, how about this one?

Have DST all year in the Eastern, Mountain,
and Alaska-Hawaii timezones.
Do away with DST in the Central, Pacific, and
Aleutian timezones. The
effect of this is to have half as many
timezones AND get rid of DST.

Interesting. Time Zones don't really bother
me, but
interesting none the less!

A lot of "to do" about nothing...DST for most
people is totally painless and accepted for its
so-called benefits. NO BIG DEAL...people just
need something to bitch about.

If we didn't have it here sunrise would
be 4 a.m. and sunset at 9 p.m. ...

Where is "here"? If the sun rises at 4 or 4:30AM how about getting up and using that daylight for something useful, like house chores, before having breakfast and going out to work or school?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 7, 2015 at 7:17:53 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Locate or download the manual for that model oven. There's no such thing as a stove or microwave with military time only!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/2015 8:13 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Being retired not much concern but not counting automic
time piece, I have to reset more than 10 time pieces, some hung up high
which I have to use step ladder to get at it. It is a chore for sure.

Much same, here. And then the 25 or so
clocks at my church.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/07/2015 06:11 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
Mark Lloyd wrote:

[snip]

They don't care about geography. The time on the cell phone is based on
the tower they are currently tied to.

The phone doesn't. You do when you need to know what time it is. You
could easily be in a different time zone from that tower.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"I found him, I've got Jesus in the trunk"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2015 3:27 AM, Neill Massello wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Just to **** off the naysayers, I'd switch to metric like the rest of
the world too.

I'll see you and raise you a $1 coin (ending the dollar bill).

I'll see your dollar coin, and raise to a $2 bill.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
Oren wrote in news:b3emfal6qoom6jsvqmck7n81tv71tf7v0v@
4ax.com:

On 7 Mar 2015 17:38:56 GMT, KenK wrote:

Move to AZ. We stay on MST all year.

I'm just across the river. On the East Coast of Nevada.

Some cities have workers that cross state lines. PITA to keep up
unless you two watches

Hi neighbor!

There's an opportunity to make your fortune! Make a digital watch with a
button to change beteen two time zones. I wouldn't be surprized if it
hasn't already been done. If nothing else, some have a need to check GMT.

Hi,
That kinda watches has been around since analog watch. My cheap Casio
can do that and whole bunch more. It does not even need battery change.
Solar power.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
On 3/7/2015 12:01 PM, KenK wrote:

There's an opportunity to make your fortune! Make a digital watch with a
button to change beteen two time zones. I wouldn't be surprized if it
hasn't already been done. If nothing else, some have a need to check
GMT.

Hard to believe indeed.

The little GPS device in the car or in your pocket already does it. Via
the satellite GPS readings it not only sets itself to the atomic clock,
it also determines what time zone you're in and displays it. Rather
interesting to watch it switch over crossing from Illinois to Indiana.

I've got an atomic watch and a couple of clocks and you need to set time
zones on them. I assume my car and off road gps's would automatically
adjust but not as sure about my phone.

Otherwise, you need a degree in electrical engineering to change the
time on some of the devices I've got. My fax machine is on DST year
long thus it will be legal starting tomorrow

Hi,
If the phone is GSM not CDM based. Is any one carrying CDM phones?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Mark Lloyd wrote:

On 03/07/2015 06:11 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
Mark Lloyd wrote:

[snip]

They don't care about geography. The time on the cell phone is based on
the tower they are currently tied to.

The phone doesn't. You do when you need to know what time it is. You
could easily be in a different time zone from that tower.

Mine does. Changes usually twice in the same day automatically as we go
from Indy to Atl on our trek south. There have been times around the
change over where it goes back and forth a couple of times for that very
reason. After about 6-8 hours, this is high entertainment. (grin)
--
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²
‹ Aaron Levenstein

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 3/6/2015 6:07 PM, T wrote:
Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins on March 8, 2015 at 2:00 am (PST).

Fox News had a story on this last night, they brought Sarah Palin on to
talk about it:

"With all the concern over global warming why have we not stopped the
insanity of daylight savings time which gives us an extra hour of
daylight every day? All that extra daylight must have a significant
effect on climate change."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2015 10:43 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
KenK wrote:
Oren wrote in news:b3emfal6qoom6jsvqmck7n81tv71tf7v0v@
4ax.com:

On 7 Mar 2015 17:38:56 GMT, KenK wrote:

Move to AZ. We stay on MST all year.

I'm just across the river. On the East Coast of Nevada.

Some cities have workers that cross state lines. PITA to keep up
unless you two watches

Hi neighbor!

There's an opportunity to make your fortune! Make a digital watch with a
button to change beteen two time zones. I wouldn't be surprized if it
hasn't already been done. If nothing else, some have a need to check GMT.

Hi,
That kinda watches has been around since analog watch. My cheap Casio
can do that and whole bunch more. It does not even need battery change.
Solar power.

I've had the same watch for over 6-8 years. Works very well. Little
clunky though and I seldom wear it. Wore it on jury duty a while back
and they had an atomic clock in the court room and it was neat to see
clock and watch match time to the second.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Mar 2015 10:20:49 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 3/6/2015 6:07 PM, T wrote:
Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins on March 8, 2015 at 2:00 am (PST).

Fox News had a story on this last night, they brought Sarah Palin on to
talk about it:

"With all the concern over global warming why have we not stopped the
insanity of daylight savings time which gives us an extra hour of
daylight every day? All that extra daylight must have a significant
effect on climate change."

I like her sarcasm. She can hunt, fish and clean them; she never sent
me a picture of her boat.

My guess is, she is not a member of nose turned up society.

I can see Russia from my house too. Using Internet maps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Mar 2015 13:34:55 -0400, Frank "frank
wrote:

Solar power.

I've had the same watch for over 6-8 years. Works very well. Little
clunky though and I seldom wear it. Wore it on jury duty a while back
and they had an atomic clock in the court room and it was neat to see
clock and watch match time to the second.

Tell me more. What was the verdict, the crime and the sentence? LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-03-08, Doug Miller wrote:
sms wrote in :

"With all the concern over global warming why have we not stopped the
insanity of daylight savings time which gives us an extra hour of
daylight every day? All that extra daylight must have a significant
effect on climate change."

I call BS.

I call unsuppressible chuckle fodder, whether true or not.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-03-08, Doug Miller wrote:
sms wrote in :

"With all the concern over global warming why have we not stopped the
insanity of daylight savings time which gives us an extra hour of
daylight every day? All that extra daylight must have a significant
effect on climate change."

I call BS.

I call unsuppressible chuckle fodder, whether true or not.

nb

Lotta chuckle heads amongst us.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 19:11:18 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
Mark Lloyd wrote:

The little GPS device in the car or in your pocket already does it. Via
the satellite GPS readings it not only sets itself to the atomic clock,
it also determines what time zone you're in and displays it. Rather
interesting to watch it switch over crossing from Illinois to Indiana.

And it could be confusing if you're close to the line and not sure which
state your device thinks it's in.

They don't care about geography. The time on the cell phone is based on
the tower they are currently tied to.

I'm glad I dont live near any time zone border line. It must be hell
trying to figure out what the correct time is, when it depends on which
tower is in use. I guess I'd have to go back to wearing a watch instead
of looking at my phone to see what time it is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/07/2015 11:55 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That's like my microwave oven. The damn thing only has a 24 hour clock
(military time). That really annoys me. I dont need a clock on the
microwave anyhow, 5 minutes cooking time is still 5 minutes no matter
what the clock says, but there is no way to disable the time display, or
change it to 12 hour time. And I cant put tape over the display or I
wont be able to see my cooking time..... I would not have bought this
Microwave had I known the clock was so screwed up.

Personally, I'd switch to 24 hour time all the time. It must makes
more sense and avoids a lot of confusion. If the entire country
switched to it, after about three days it would be perfectly normal
and when someone says I'll be there at 8, you know it is in the
morning.

Just to **** off the naysayers, I'd switch to metric like the rest of
the world too.

Fix the date system while you're about it: yyyymmdd is the only logical
system. You don't say that the person is 8 inches and half an inch and 5
feet tall.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/07/2015 10:55 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

Personally, I'd switch to 24 hour time all the time. It must makes
more sense and avoids a lot of confusion. If the entire country
switched to it, after about three days it would be perfectly normal
and when someone says I'll be there at 8, you know it is in the
morning.

Yes, 24 hour would be simpler. And, of course, NO DST.

Just to **** off the naysayers, I'd switch to metric like the rest of
the world too.

I have thought about metric time before. The second is the basic unit.

an hour is 3.6 KS (kiloseconds) 60 * 60.

a day is 86.4 KS (since there should be NO DST, I'm not concerned about
the 82.8 KS and 90 KS days)

the months we have now vary (stupidly), so a month is as short as 2.419
MS (megaseconds) and as long as 2.6804 MS)

a year is either 31.536 MS (365 days) or 31.6244 MS (366 days).

a century contains either 24 or 25 leap years, making it 3.1556736 GS
(gigaseconds) or 3.15576 GS.

If you really want to be exact, adjust for leap seconds.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"To build one house for man is better than to build a dozen houses to
God." [Lemuel K. Washburn, _Is The Bible Worth Reading And Other
Essays_]