DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Daylight Stupid Time (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/379266-daylight-stupid-time.html)

T[_6_] March 7th 15 02:07 AM

Daylight Stupid Time

Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins on March 8, 2015 at 2:00 am (PST).

bob haller March 7th 15 02:11 AM

Daylight Stupid Time

On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 9:07:59 PM UTC-5, T wrote:
Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins on March 8, 2015 at 2:00 am (PST).

I LOVE DST:) more daylight in the evening!

Reggie[_3_] March 7th 15 02:21 AM

Daylight Stupid Time

"bob haller" wrote in message
On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 9:07:59 PM UTC-5, T wrote:
Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins on March 8, 2015 at 2:00 am (PST).

I LOVE DST:) more daylight in the evening!

Whoever runs that DST stuff are fools. They keep giving up the extra hour
of daylight each year. If they just moved forward each year, and never
back, before long we would have 24 hours of daylight. Then they could quit
messing with the clocks.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] March 7th 15 02:36 AM

Daylight Stupid Time

On 3/6/2015 9:07 PM, T wrote:
Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins on March 8, 2015 at 2:00 am (PST).

Only white man think blanket longer, cut
foot off one end and sew on other.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Tony Hwang March 7th 15 03:13 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

T wrote:
Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins on March 8, 2015 at 2:00 am (PST).

Hi,
Isn't that American invention? I hate turning clocks, watches
forward/backward every year. Why just go to work early or late?

Ed Pawlowski March 7th 15 03:56 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 08:13:04 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

T wrote:
Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins on March 8, 2015 at 2:00 am (PST).

Hi,
Isn't that American invention? I hate turning clocks, watches
forward/backward every year. Why just go to work early or late?

There is always someone complaining about DST, but you are probably
not managing properly and watching your Daylight Savings account grow.
I've been saving daylight every year and when I retire, I'm going to
use it on a nice long trip. While you are in the dark, I'm going to
enjoy all the daylight I've saved.

[email protected] March 7th 15 03:58 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

It is fully documented that at the end of Indiana's first year ever
of DST(2008?), energy consumption actually went UP.

As far as all these jackos are concerned who enjoy the "lighter
evenings" - get up EARLIER and make use of the daylight once
all your tasks are done!

None of the pro-DSTers seem to consider the effect on sunRISE -
the fact that 6AM comes in darkness(formerly 5am).

Percival P. Cassidy March 7th 15 04:01 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

On 03/07/2015 10:13 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins on March 8, 2015 at 2:00 am (PST).

Hi,
Isn't that American invention? I hate turning clocks, watches
forward/backward every year. Why just go to work early or late?

I don't know who invented it, but the UK had year-round one hour of
Daylight Saving Time ("British Summer Time" -- BST) and *two* hours of
Daylight Saving Time ("British Double Summer Time" -- BDST) for part of
the year during, and at various times after, WWII. It enabled harvesting
to be done until 9pm or later without needing artificial light (which
farm equipment typically did not have).

There have been proposals to put the UK's official time one hour ahead
of GMT/UTC permanently, but so far without success:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Summer_Time

Perce

William Willett March 7th 15 04:58 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

On 3/6/2015 9:07 PM, T wrote:
Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins on March 8, 2015 at 2:00 am (PST).

Just another example of government stupidity.

Oren[_2_] March 7th 15 05:02 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 18:07:51 -0800, T wrote:

Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins on March 8, 2015 at 2:00 am (PST).

I don't wear a stinking watch, haven't for 12 years. I get to where
I'm going when I get there. Get up with the roosters and go to bed
with the chickens :)

Frank[_23_] March 7th 15 05:21 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

On 3/6/2015 9:07 PM, T wrote:
Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins on March 8, 2015 at 2:00 am (PST).

Count me as a complainer.

The son of a bitches that mandated this should be responsible to reset
our clocks.

I suspect that when they die and go to hell that they will spend
eternity changing time on clocks along with the SOB's that mandated
spill proof gas cans that will spend eternity using the cans.

KenK March 7th 15 05:38 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

"Reggie" wrote in
:

"bob haller" wrote in message
On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 9:07:59 PM UTC-5, T wrote:
Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins on March 8, 2015 at 2:00 am (PST).

I LOVE DST:) more daylight in the evening!

Whoever runs that DST stuff are fools. They keep giving up the extra
hour of daylight each year. If they just moved forward each year, and
never back, before long we would have 24 hours of daylight. Then they
could quit messing with the clocks.

Move to AZ. We stay on MST all year.

Oren[_2_] March 7th 15 05:39 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 21:36:50 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 3/6/2015 9:07 PM, T wrote:
Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins on March 8, 2015 at 2:00 am (PST).

Only white man think blanket longer, cut
foot off one end and sew on other.

But you guys change times before Todd does. Three hours earlier than
2:00 am PST :)

Oren[_2_] March 7th 15 05:44 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

On 7 Mar 2015 17:38:56 GMT, KenK wrote:

Move to AZ. We stay on MST all year.

I'm just across the river. On the East Coast of Nevada.

Some cities have workers that cross state lines. PITA to keep up
unless you two watches :)

KenK March 7th 15 06:01 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

Oren wrote in news:b3emfal6qoom6jsvqmck7n81tv71tf7v0v@
4ax.com:

On 7 Mar 2015 17:38:56 GMT, KenK wrote:

Move to AZ. We stay on MST all year.

I'm just across the river. On the East Coast of Nevada.

Some cities have workers that cross state lines. PITA to keep up
unless you two watches :)

Hi neighbor!

There's an opportunity to make your fortune! Make a digital watch with a
button to change beteen two time zones. I wouldn't be surprized if it
hasn't already been done. If nothing else, some have a need to check GMT.

Unquestionably Confused March 7th 15 06:05 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

On 3/7/2015 12:01 PM, KenK wrote:

There's an opportunity to make your fortune! Make a digital watch with a
button to change beteen two time zones. I wouldn't be surprized if it
hasn't already been done. If nothing else, some have a need to check GMT.

Hard to believe indeed.

The little GPS device in the car or in your pocket already does it. Via
the satellite GPS readings it not only sets itself to the atomic clock,
it also determines what time zone you're in and displays it. Rather
interesting to watch it switch over crossing from Illinois to Indiana.

Frank[_23_] March 7th 15 06:18 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

On 3/7/2015 12:01 PM, KenK wrote:

There's an opportunity to make your fortune! Make a digital watch with a
button to change beteen two time zones. I wouldn't be surprized if it
hasn't already been done. If nothing else, some have a need to check GMT.

Hard to believe indeed.

The little GPS device in the car or in your pocket already does it. Via
the satellite GPS readings it not only sets itself to the atomic clock,
it also determines what time zone you're in and displays it. Rather
interesting to watch it switch over crossing from Illinois to Indiana.

I've got an atomic watch and a couple of clocks and you need to set time
zones on them. I assume my car and off road gps's would automatically
adjust but not as sure about my phone.

Otherwise, you need a degree in electrical engineering to change the
time on some of the devices I've got. My fax machine is on DST year
long thus it will be legal starting tomorrow ;)

Oren[_2_] March 7th 15 06:29 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 13:18:48 -0500, Frank "frank
wrote:

The little GPS device in the car or in your pocket already does it. Via
the satellite GPS readings it not only sets itself to the atomic clock,
it also determines what time zone you're in and displays it. Rather
interesting to watch it switch over crossing from Illinois to Indiana.

I've got an atomic watch and a couple of clocks and you need to set time
zones on them. I assume my car and off road gps's would automatically
adjust but not as sure about my phone.

Otherwise, you need a degree in electrical engineering to change the
time on some of the devices I've got. My fax machine is on DST year
long thus it will be legal starting tomorrow ;)

At the local corner store, a tourist couple in Las Vegas was driving
to the Grand Canyon. IIRC her smartphone was telling a an hour
difference in the real drive time. Given my driving, it took me about
5 hours going that route Her phone was saying 4 hours. I drove from
the GC to Vegas and it was longer than 4 hours. I'm confused.

[email protected] March 7th 15 07:49 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 18:07:51 -0800, T wrote:

Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins on March 8, 2015 at 2:00 am (PST).

Yea, but dont change the clock until the sun rises. Since it's
"Daylight Saving Time", it only works during Daylight! Changing your
clock at 2:00 am wont have any effect, because that is "night time". :)

On top of that, 2:00 am is "Bar Closing Time" in most states. That
means most people will be far too drunk to safely operate a Clock. But
if you MUST change your clock(s) at 2:00am, and you've been drinking,
GET A DESIGNATED CLOCK OPERATOR! Or just call a cab, and they can tell
you what time it is. :)

When you DO finally change your clock, remember, to turn it AHEAD in
March. Otherwise you could have this problem (below) which often
happens in November.

* After Daylight Savings Time ended last year I stopped in to visit my
hearing impaired friend. He was busy painting his penis with a black
marker. I said to him, "You idiot! You're supposed to turn your clock
back, NOT turn your cock black!" lol

[email protected] March 7th 15 07:54 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

On Fri, 6 Mar 2015 18:11:28 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 9:07:59 PM UTC-5, T wrote:
Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins on March 8, 2015 at 2:00 am (PST).

I LOVE DST:) more daylight in the evening!

Same here. I wish they would just leave it DST all year round!

[email protected] March 7th 15 08:00 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 13:18:48 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

I've got an atomic watch and a couple of clocks and you need to set time
zones on them. I assume my car and off road gps's would automatically
adjust but not as sure about my phone.

Otherwise, you need a degree in electrical engineering to change the
time on some of the devices I've got. My fax machine is on DST year
long thus it will be legal starting tomorrow ;)

A cellphone DOES automatically change. Actually, last fall I was awake
at 2:00am. I watched the display on my phone. The phone showed 1:59am,
then showed 2:00am for about two brief seconds, and went back to 1:00am.

Oren[_2_] March 7th 15 08:41 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 12:21:12 -0500, Frank "frank
wrote:

Count me as a complainer.

The son of a bitches that mandated this should be responsible to reset
our clocks.

I suspect that when they die and go to hell that they will spend
eternity changing time on clocks along with the SOB's that mandated
spill proof gas cans that will spend eternity using the cans.

Come on Frank. Open up and tell us how you really feel.

Frank[_23_] March 7th 15 08:41 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

wrote:

[...]

I recall it was about 5 hours on a bus. I guess, if you change your
watch, six hours to get there and four hours back. Nobody told me.

T[_6_] March 7th 15 08:52 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

wrote:

On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 9:07:59 PM UTC-5, T wrote:
Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins on March 8, 2015 at 2:00 am (PST).

I LOVE DST:) more daylight in the evening!

Same here. I wish they would just leave it DST all year round!

1+ Just chose one. Or even half way in between!

T[_6_] March 7th 15 08:57 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

On 03/07/2015 07:58 AM, wrote:
It is fully documented that at the end of Indiana's first year ever
of DST(2008?), energy consumption actually went UP.

As far as all these jackos are concerned who enjoy the "lighter
evenings" - get up EARLIER and make use of the daylight once
all your tasks are done!

None of the pro-DSTers seem to consider the effect on sunRISE -
the fact that 6AM comes in darkness(formerly 5am).

It is beyond comprehension.

[email protected] March 7th 15 09:03 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 15:41:58 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

long thus it will be legal starting tomorrow ;)

At the local corner store, a tourist couple in Las Vegas was driving
to the Grand Canyon. IIRC her smartphone was telling a an hour
difference in the real drive time. Given my driving, it took me about
5 hours going that route Her phone was saying 4 hours. I drove from
the GC to Vegas and it was longer than 4 hours. I'm confused.

I recall it was about 5 hours on a bus. I guess, if you change your
watch, six hours to get there and four hours back. Nobody told me.

The phone may not be able to determine that someone has travelled into
another time zone. Especially the basic phones. I guess many of these
newer "smartphones" have built in GPS. At least that is what I've
heard. I only own a prepaid basic phone, which is all I need.

Tekkie® March 7th 15 09:12 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

[...]

At what time did you meet at the station? Maybe you had a headwind?

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

Tekkie® March 7th 15 09:14 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

Neill Massello posted for all of us...

Reggie wrote:

Whoever runs that DST stuff are fools. They keep giving up the extra hour
of daylight each year. If they just moved forward each year, and never
back, before long we would have 24 hours of daylight. Then they could quit
messing with the clocks.

Turn the job over to the central banks. They could issue more hours per
day so that everybody would have more time.

I await my Nobel Prize.

If they have more hours they can print more "money". Do you work for the
gov't? :-)

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

Tekkie® March 7th 15 09:16 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

wrote:

T wrote:
Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins on March 8, 2015 at 2:00 am (PST).

Hi,
Isn't that American invention? I hate turning clocks, watches
forward/backward every year. Why just go to work early or late?

There is always someone complaining about DST, but you are probably
not managing properly and watching your Daylight Savings account grow.
I've been saving daylight every year and when I retire, I'm going to
use it on a nice long trip. While you are in the dark, I'm going to
enjoy all the daylight I've saved.

You know the IRS will send a refund even though you didn't pay taxes on it?

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

Tekkie® March 7th 15 09:17 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

Oren posted for all of us...

On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 18:07:51 -0800, T wrote:

Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins on March 8, 2015 at 2:00 am (PST).

I don't wear a stinking watch, haven't for 12 years. I get to where
I'm going when I get there. Get up with the roosters and go to bed
with the chickens :)

That is not a nice thing to say about your wife! Cock a doodle doo - any
cock will do...

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

Mark Lloyd[_12_] March 7th 15 09:29 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

On 03/06/2015 08:36 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/6/2015 9:07 PM, T wrote:
Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins on March 8, 2015 at 2:00 am (PST).

Only white man think blanket longer, cut
foot off one end and sew on other.

I remember reading that blanket story in school. I think of it every
time I hear of this DST nonsense.

Yes, you get an extra hour of daylight IN THE EVENING. Thats' because
you did everything earlier, not because TIME changed.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"To be good is noble, but to teach others how to be good is nobler --
and less trouble." -- Mark Twain

Mark Lloyd[_12_] March 7th 15 09:32 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

On 03/06/2015 08:21 PM, Reggie wrote:
"bob haller" wrote in message
On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 9:07:59 PM UTC-5, T wrote:
Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins on March 8, 2015 at 2:00 am (PST).

I LOVE DST:) more daylight in the evening!

Whoever runs that DST stuff are fools. They keep giving up the extra hour
of daylight each year. If they just moved forward each year, and never
back, before long we would have 24 hours of daylight. Then they could quit
messing with the clocks.

Notice that no amount of messing with clocks changes the amount of
daylight. Why would anyone think our government could change the Earth's
rotation (and for PART of the planet, something even more absurd).

Sam E March 7th 15 09:34 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

wrote:

T wrote:
Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins on March 8, 2015 at 2:00 am (PST).

Hi,
Isn't that American invention? I hate turning clocks, watches
forward/backward every year. Why just go to work early or late?

There is always someone complaining about DST, but you are probably
not managing properly and watching your Daylight Savings account grow.
I've been saving daylight every year and when I retire, I'm going to
use it on a nice long trip. While you are in the dark, I'm going to
enjoy all the daylight I've saved.

Where do you keep your daylight savings? Do you get interest on it? How
about income tax?

Mark Lloyd[_12_] March 7th 15 09:36 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

On 03/07/2015 09:58 AM, wrote:
It is fully documented that at the end of Indiana's first year ever
of DST(2008?), energy consumption actually went UP.

As far as all these jackos are concerned who enjoy the "lighter
evenings" - get up EARLIER and make use of the daylight once
all your tasks are done!

None of the pro-DSTers seem to consider the effect on sunRISE -
the fact that 6AM comes in darkness(formerly 5am).

Of course, that stuff is nonsense. There's no way clocks could control
the sunrise.

Mark Lloyd[_12_] March 7th 15 09:37 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

On 03/07/2015 10:58 AM, William Willett wrote:
On 3/6/2015 9:07 PM, T wrote:
Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins on March 8, 2015 at 2:00 am (PST).

Just another example of government stupidity.

I read that DST started out as a joke. That makes sense.

Sam E March 7th 15 09:42 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

On 03/07/2015 11:54 AM, Neill Massello wrote:
Reggie wrote:

Whoever runs that DST stuff are fools. They keep giving up the extra hour
of daylight each year. If they just moved forward each year, and never
back, before long we would have 24 hours of daylight. Then they could quit
messing with the clocks.

Turn the job over to the central banks. They could issue more hours per
day so that everybody would have more time.

It a day had 48 hours (same length hours as now), you could retire at
age 33, but it's still feel like 66.

I await my Nobel Prize.

--
"Where is the good in eternal torture?"

Mark Lloyd[_12_] March 7th 15 09:45 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

On 03/07/2015 12:01 PM, KenK wrote:
Oren wrote in news:b3emfal6qoom6jsvqmck7n81tv71tf7v0v@
4ax.com:

On 7 Mar 2015 17:38:56 GMT, KenK wrote:

Move to AZ. We stay on MST all year.

I'm just across the river. On the East Coast of Nevada.

Some cities have workers that cross state lines. PITA to keep up
unless you two watches :)

Hi neighbor!

There's an opportunity to make your fortune! Make a digital watch with a
button to change beteen two time zones. I wouldn't be surprized if it
hasn't already been done. If nothing else, some have a need to check GMT.

I've seen clocks with timezone switches. One thing lacking was a way to
disable DST. You can't use this clock in Arizona :-)

Mark Lloyd[_12_] March 7th 15 09:46 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

On 3/7/2015 12:01 PM, KenK wrote:

There's an opportunity to make your fortune! Make a digital watch with a
button to change beteen two time zones. I wouldn't be surprized if it
hasn't already been done. If nothing else, some have a need to check GMT.

Hard to believe indeed.

The little GPS device in the car or in your pocket already does it. Via
the satellite GPS readings it not only sets itself to the atomic clock,
it also determines what time zone you're in and displays it. Rather
interesting to watch it switch over crossing from Illinois to Indiana.

And it could be confusing if you're close to the line and not sure which
state your device thinks it's in.

Mark Lloyd[_12_] March 7th 15 09:49 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

On 03/07/2015 01:49 PM, wrote:

[snip]

When you DO finally change your clock, remember, to turn it AHEAD in
March. Otherwise you could have this problem (below) which often
happens in November.

I NEVER just "turn it ahead" or "turn it back". I set the CORRECT TIME.
That corrects for any drift (clock was slow or fast).

[snip]

Mark Lloyd[_12_] March 7th 15 09:57 PM

Daylight Stupid Time

wrote:

On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 9:07:59 PM UTC-5, T wrote:
Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins on March 8, 2015 at 2:00 am (PST).

I LOVE DST:) more daylight in the evening!

Same here. I wish they would just leave it DST all year round!

1+ Just chose one. Or even half way in between!

Any of those. Also, how about this one?

Have DST all year in the Eastern, Mountain, and Alaska-Hawaii timezones.
Do away with DST in the Central, Pacific, and Aleutian timezones. The
effect of this is to have half as many timezones AND get rid of DST.