Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Daylight Stupid Time

On Saturday, March 7, 2015 at 4:29:40 PM UTC-5, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 03/06/2015 08:36 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/6/2015 9:07 PM, T wrote:
Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins on March 8, 2015 at 2:00 am (PST).

Only white man think blanket longer, cut
foot off one end and sew on other.

I remember reading that blanket story in school. I think of it every
time I hear of this DST nonsense.

Yes, you get an extra hour of daylight IN THE EVENING. Thats' because
you did everything earlier, not because TIME changed.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"To be good is noble, but to teach others how to be good is nobler --
and less trouble." -- Mark Twain

"Extra hour of Daylight" is the wrong way to describe the effect of DST. DST does not "add" daylight to the day!

It simply changes when we do things - by changing the time on the CLOCK. You can set your clock to ANY TIME you want it to be, and live by that time. It just means you will be going through your daily routine by that much time earlier or later than everyone else. *Your* 6AM might be everyone else's 5AM, or 4AM, or 7AM, depending on which way you adjusted your clock.

For DST, everyone turns their clock forward 1 hour, so that sunrise, BY THE CLOCK, occurs 1 hour later. It still rises at 6:20 standard time on a given day, but rises at 7:20 BY THE CLOCK during DST. Correspondingly, it sets at 6:50 BY THE CLOCK during DST, as opposed to 5:50pm ordinary time.