Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Power Generator Question

I have a WEN Power Pro Model 9000 16HP generator. It has a female
funny-looking plug on the side labelled
DC 12V 8.3A

I have never known what this plug is for, nor can I find any info on
it in the manual or via Google. Some has said it is for charging the
generator batery. Could it be so?

If so, what wud the necessary plug/wire thingee be called so's I can
order same. I never saw one in the original box - now long gone.

Thanks

Wei
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 13, 2014 4:03:43 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I have a WEN Power Pro Model 9000 16HP generator. It has a female

funny-looking plug on the side labelled

DC 12V 8.3A

I have never known what this plug is for, nor can I find any info on

it in the manual or via Google. Some has said it is for charging the

generator batery. Could it be so?

If so, what wud the necessary plug/wire thingee be called so's I can

order same. I never saw one in the original box - now long gone.

Thanks

Wei

It's likely a 12V 8.3A output that can be used for whatever you might need
12V for, eg a small air compressor that's meant to run off a car.

It's not to charge the battery of the generator, the generator charges it's
battery with it's own charging circuit.

No way for us to identify the plug without being able to see it. Did
you check the users manual?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I have a WEN Power Pro Model 9000 16HP generator. It has a female
funny-looking plug on the side labelled
DC 12V 8.3A

I have never known what this plug is for, nor can I find any info on
it in the manual or via Google. Some has said it is for charging the
generator batery. Could it be so?

If so, what wud the necessary plug/wire thingee be called so's I can
order same. I never saw one in the original box - now long gone.

Thanks

Wei

The manual I saw on line said it is NOT to be used to charge a battery. But
that is ALL it said.

http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_...M/L0607217.pdf

Notice it says 12 V, not 12.6 V.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 13:30:35 -0700, "Pico Rico"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
I have a WEN Power Pro Model 9000 16HP generator. It has a female
funny-looking plug on the side labelled
DC 12V 8.3A

I have never known what this plug is for, nor can I find any info on
it in the manual or via Google. Some has said it is for charging the
generator batery. Could it be so?

If so, what wud the necessary plug/wire thingee be called so's I can
order same. I never saw one in the original box - now long gone.

Thanks

Wei

The manual I saw on line said it is NOT to be used to charge a battery. But
that is ALL it said.

http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_...M/L0607217.pdf

Notice it says 12 V, not 12.6 V.

DC USAGE

The generator is equipped with a DC terminal. This terminal is not
intended for use to charge automotive batteries.

Page 19 states: DC 12V/8.3A

OP was correct I think.

- If there are missing components DO NOT RETURN TO STORE, please call
(800) 232-1195 M-F 8-5 CT for customer service.

-DC plug with wires, page 5
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Pico Rico" wrote:

wrote in message
I have a WEN Power Pro Model 9000 16HP generator. It has a female
funny-looking plug on the side labelled
DC 12V 8.3A

I have never known what this plug is for, nor can I find any info on
it in the manual or via Google. Some has said it is for charging the
generator batery. Could it be so?

If so, what wud the necessary plug/wire thingee be called so's I can
order same. I never saw one in the original box - now long gone.

Thanks

Wei

The manual I saw on line said it is NOT to be used to charge a battery. But
that is ALL it said.

http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_...M/L0607217.pdf

Notice it says 12 V, not 12.6 V.

Yes, it does say that. But battery charging is about all it is good
for! The circuit on page 30 shows an AC winding connected to a bridge
rectifier, which provides 120 Hz DC pulses to the outlet.

I think the statement on Page 19 may be a typo or mis-translation.
Other similar generators have 12 Volt outlets specifically for charging
automotive batteries. The "DC plug with wires" shown on page 5, has
battery clamps.

The 12 Volt outlet may look like a 120 VAC outlet with prongs bent at an
angle to each other. That is what is on my Generac and Yamaha
generators. The plug is the same for the two, but DC polarity is
backwards.

Fred
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Fred McKenzie" wrote in message
In article ,
"Pico Rico" wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

You must be right - bad translation. I looked at some other generators and
they say use their 12v ONLY to charge batteries.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/13/2014 05:59 PM, Fred McKenzie wrote:

[...]

The .pdf of the manual is not very clear, but going by the schematic and
your description, it could be an Australia/NZ 240V house-current socket
-- except that they are all 3-pin.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 13, 2014 5:59:59 PM UTC-4, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,

"Pico Rico" wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

If it's to be able to charge batteries, then it would have to be significantly
higher than 12V. An auto battery is about 25% charged at 12V, fully charged at 12.7, and chargers typically use 13.5 - 14V to do the charging. Which it may
be, it might just be labeled and spec'd incorrectly. If it's really 12V, it's
not going to work to charge an auto type battery. But it's definitely not
to charge the battery for the generator itself as the OP suggested. That's already taken care of by the generator.

The 12 Volt outlet may look like a 120 VAC outlet with prongs bent at an

angle to each other. That is what is on my Generac and Yamaha

generators. The plug is the same for the two, but DC polarity is

backwards.

Fred

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/14/2014 8:19 AM, trader_4 wrote:
If it's to be able to charge batteries, then it would have to be significantly
higher than 12V. An auto battery is about 25% charged at 12V, fully charged at 12.7, and chargers typically use 13.5 - 14V to do the charging. Which it may
be, it might just be labeled and spec'd incorrectly. If it's really 12V, it's
not going to work to charge an auto type battery. But it's definitely not
to charge the battery for the generator itself as the OP suggested. That's already taken care of by the generator.

Don't remember that the OP put a VOM on it,
so we're just going by some company that
labels the socket.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 13:29:08 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

Yes

Shows a picture of the plug and the info on it that I quoted.
Manual is at

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/507...-Pro-9000.html

Thanks

Wei
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 13:30:35 -0700, "Pico Rico"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
I have a WEN Power Pro Model 9000 16HP generator. It has a female
funny-looking plug on the side labelled
DC 12V 8.3A

I have never known what this plug is for, nor can I find any info on
it in the manual or via Google. Some has said it is for charging the
generator batery. Could it be so?

If so, what wud the necessary plug/wire thingee be called so's I can
order same. I never saw one in the original box - now long gone.

Thanks

Wei

The manual I saw on line said it is NOT to be used to charge a battery. But
that is ALL it said.

http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_...M/L0607217.pdf

Notice it says 12 V, not 12.6 V.

Thanks

I did not say 12.5V did I?

Wei

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 08:33:46 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 10/14/2014 8:19 AM, trader_4 wrote:
If it's to be able to charge batteries, then it would have to be significantly
higher than 12V. An auto battery is about 25% charged at 12V, fully charged at 12.7, and chargers typically use 13.5 - 14V to do the charging. Which it may
be, it might just be labeled and spec'd incorrectly. If it's really 12V, it's
not going to work to charge an auto type battery. But it's definitely not
to charge the battery for the generator itself as the OP suggested. That's already taken care of by the generator.

Don't remember that the OP put a VOM on it,
so we're just going by some company that
labels the socket.

No I did not. Can't find my damned meter. But I will.

Wei
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 14, 2014 9:16:52 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 13:30:35 -0700, "Pico Rico"

wrote:

wrote in message

.. .

I have a WEN Power Pro Model 9000 16HP generator. It has a female

funny-looking plug on the side labelled

DC 12V 8.3A

I have never known what this plug is for, nor can I find any info on

it in the manual or via Google. Some has said it is for charging the

generator batery. Could it be so?

If so, what wud the necessary plug/wire thingee be called so's I can

order same. I never saw one in the original box - now long gone.

Thanks

Wei

The manual I saw on line said it is NOT to be used to charge a battery. But

that is ALL it said.

http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_...M/L0607217.pdf

Notice it says 12 V, not 12.6 V.

Thanks

I did not say 12.5V did I?

Wei

No you didn't. I think Pico's point about 12.6V is it takes that or
higher to charge an auto battery. If you really have 12V, you can only
get to maybe 40% of fully charged and even that is going to take a long
time. Chargers use voltages higher that 12V. Your car for example, charges
the battery at ~13.5 to 14 volts. It's possible it puts out more than
12V, but if so they did a bad job with the marking and documentation,
because it doesn't say anything. And I agree with the poster that pointed
out that it only has a full wave rectifier, no caps, no voltage control,
nothing on the output.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I have a WEN Power Pro Model 9000 16HP generator. It has a female
funny-looking plug on the side labelled
DC 12V 8.3A

I have never known what this plug is for, nor can I find any info on
it in the manual or via Google. Some has said it is for charging the
generator batery. Could it be so?

If so, what wud the necessary plug/wire thingee be called so's I can
order same. I never saw one in the original box - now long gone.

Thanks

Wei

here is the cable:

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...9.html#GetHelp

I verified with Sears on line chat your model number and "Yes, I have
checked with my resources and see that the model specific part number for
the DC cable is P55302 which is priced at $3.99"

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pico Rico" wrote in message

wrote in message
I have a WEN Power Pro Model 9000 16HP generator. It has a female
funny-looking plug on the side labelled
DC 12V 8.3A

I have never known what this plug is for, nor can I find any info on
it in the manual or via Google. Some has said it is for charging the
generator batery. Could it be so?

If so, what wud the necessary plug/wire thingee be called so's I can
order same. I never saw one in the original box - now long gone.

Thanks

Wei

here is the cable:

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...9.html#GetHelp

I verified with Sears on line chat your model number and "Yes, I have
checked with my resources and see that the model specific part number for
the DC cable is P55302 which is priced at $3.99"

WAIT! Not trusting anyone, I checked back with Sears. That link above is
for a replacement socket in the generator, not what you want.

After much back and forth, I think THIS is what you want:

http://www.sears.com/power-house-pow...34719?prdNo=50

I am told it is a generic part: generators use for the 12V (or 12.6V) output
either the same two pin socket, or a cigarette lighter plug.

You might want to shop around, and verify the above with another vendor just
to be sure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pico Rico" wrote in message

"Pico Rico" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

If you have Honda dealer nearby, you might try their cord, if they are truly
a generic item.

http://www.acetoolonline.com/Honda-D...-892-010ah.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 07:59:18 -0700, "Pico Rico"
wrote:

WAIT! Not trusting anyone, I checked back with Sears. That link above is
for a replacement socket in the generator, not what you want.

After much back and forth, I think THIS is what you want:

http://www.sears.com/power-house-pow...34719?prdNo=50

I am told it is a generic part: generators use for the 12V (or 12.6V) output
either the same two pin socket, or a cigarette lighter plug.

You might want to shop around, and verify the above with another vendor just
to be sure.

_"Power House Battery Charge Cables"

What battery would this be, alarm system maybe?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/14/2014 08:23 AM, wrote:

[snip]

No I did not. Can't find my damned meter. But I will.

Wei

I checked mine (Honda EB3000c). The outlet was marked "12V 12A". The
measured output varied some but was approximately 23.5V (measured
without load).

--
72 days until the winter celebration (Thursday December 25, 2014
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"The man who accepts the faith of Calvin is miserable in proportion to
the extent he carries it out." [Lemuel K. Washburn, _Is The Bible Worth
Reading And Other Essays_]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/14/2014 10:08 AM, Pico Rico wrote:

If you have Honda dealer nearby, you might try their cord, if they are truly
a generic item.

http://www.acetoolonline.com/Honda-D...-892-010ah.htm

My generator is a Honda EB3000. I also have a friend with a Honda
EU2000. both use the same DC plug. I also have the cord from an older
generator (Coleman Powermate). This cord has an incompatible plug.

The Honda plug has one pin in the same direction as on a 120V 15A plug.
The other pin is at 90 degrees. The Powermate plug has the pins at 45
and 135 degrees.

--
72 days until the winter celebration (Thursday December 25, 2014
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"The man who accepts the faith of Calvin is miserable in proportion to
the extent he carries it out." [Lemuel K. Washburn, _Is The Bible Worth
Reading And Other Essays_]
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
trader_4 wrote:

On Monday, October 13, 2014 6:35:11 PM UTC-4, BenignBodger wrote:
On 10/13/2014 4:03 PM, wrote:

WEN Power Pro Model 9000

The manual says that the connection in question is a 12V 8.3A power

_output_. As stupid as it seems it then goes on to tell us that it "is not

intended for use to charge automotive batteries."

It's not as stupid as it might sound. To charge an auto battery, you need
more than 12V. If all you have is really 12V, the battery will be about 25%
charged.

The cable for this

connector is supposed to be included with the generator, or so the packing

list says, and it has conductors with alligator clips on the end so the "no

batteries" stuff seems to make even less sense since alligator clips aren't

exactly conducive to other uses.

http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_...M/L0607217.pdf

I agree, that would seem to suggest that battery charging was in mind.
In which case, maybe it really puts out the higher voltage required to
charge the batteries, not 12V.

This is true. A DC meter should read average voltage. Being a
rectified sine wave, average voltage would be 0.636 times the peak.
Peak would be 1.57 times average, or about 18.8 Volts if the average
reading is 12.0.

Fred
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

WAIT! Not trusting anyone, I checked back with Sears. That link above is
for a replacement socket in the generator, not what you want.

After much back and forth, I think THIS is what you want:

http://www.sears.com/power-house-pow...34719?prdNo=50

Generator end doesn't look right. Appears to have only one male
contact-thingee. Price is awful high tho.
Thanks
Wei

I am told it is a generic part: generators use for the 12V (or 12.6V) output
either the same two pin socket, or a cigarette lighter plug.

You might want to shop around, and verify the above with another vendor just
to be sure.

_"Power House Battery Charge Cables"

What battery would this be, alarm system maybe?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

WAIT! Not trusting anyone, I checked back with Sears. That link above is
for a replacement socket in the generator, not what you want.

After much back and forth, I think THIS is what you want:

http://www.sears.com/power-house-pow...34719?prdNo=50

Generator end doesn't look right. Appears to have only one male
contact-thingee. Price is awful high tho.
Thanks
Wei

The appearance is deceptive in the photo for sure. There cannot be one
contact on the plug with two clamps on the opposite end, unless I
missed something.

I am told it is a generic part: generators use for the 12V (or 12.6V) output
either the same two pin socket, or a cigarette lighter plug.

You might want to shop around, and verify the above with another vendor just
to be sure.

_"Power House Battery Charge Cables"

What battery would this be, alarm system maybe?

Can anybody say what "Power House Battery Charge Cables" means?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

obviously, just as the picture is taken at the worst angle possible, the
item is a "Battery Charge Cable" made by an outfit that calls itself "Power
House".

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

It's probably what it says, 12 volts at 8 amps draw. Open should be much
higher.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 10/14/2014 8:19 AM, trader_4 wrote:

If it's to be able to charge batteries, then it would have to be significantly

higher than 12V. An auto battery is about 25% charged at 12V, fully charged at 12.7, and chargers typically use 13.5 - 14V to do the charging. Which it may

be, it might just be labeled and spec'd incorrectly. If it's really 12V, it's

not going to work to charge an auto type battery. But it's definitely not

to charge the battery for the generator itself as the OP suggested. That's already taken care of by the generator.

Don't remember that the OP put a VOM on it,

so we're just going by some company that

labels the socket.

No I did not. Can't find my damned meter. But I will.

Wei

I am being told that my generator battery is kept charged when the

generator is running, and therefore I do not need to charge it

elsewise. We shall see I guess. Thanks all

Wei

If it has a starting battery, but isn't designed to charge the battery,
it would be the first such generator I've ever seen. What would you do
if you were designing it? Charge it or put in an outlet and expect the
user to charge it? Any instructions in the manual that tell you how and
when to charge the battery? Seems if it were required, that would be in there.
The wiring diagram in the manual also clearly shows the separate battery charging circuit, so there's that.....

If you need unregulated, full wave rectified DC, 12V +/- X% to use for
something else, then get the cables. Otherwise, it doesn't matter.
I have a battery charger and if I needed
to charge an auto battery when the power is out, I'd use the generator
to power the charger. So far, that has never happened here.

You're not Jesse Pinkman, are you? On Breaking Bad they needed to use
a generator like that because their RV cook lab had a dead battery in
the middle of the desert 20 miles from civilization. It didn't work
though, they mamaged to set the generator on fire while trying to start
it. Jesse was very confused.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message

If it has a starting battery, but isn't designed to charge the battery,
it would be the first such generator I've ever seen. What would you do
if you were designing it? Charge it or put in an outlet and expect the
user to charge it? Any instructions in the manual that tell you how and
when to charge the battery? Seems if it were required, that would be in
there.

About 2 years ago I bought a 5 KW generator at Northern Tools that has a
NICAD battery and no charging circuit. It does have a wall cube that you
are suspose to plug into the house while not using the generator.

Sofar I have not used that generator. I put the oil in the crankcase and
hit the start button without any gas in it to let the oil circulate. It was
bought when my other 5 kw generator would not start, but I repaired it.
That ethanol gas had sit in it too long and crudded up the carburator.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 16, 2014 9:43:33 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"trader_4" wrote in message

[...]

Well, there's always a first. But in your case they supplied a wallwart
and I assume instructions on how to use it. I presume the idea is that
the wallwart keeps the battery charged all the time, so the generator is
ready to start. And that when using it, you could power the WW off the
generator to keep the battery charged.

The home standy generators use the AC to keep the battery charged. But
every one of those I've seen also have their own charging circuit that
charges the battery when the generator is running.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 13, 2014 at 2:03:43 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I have a WEN Power Pro Model 9000 16HP generator. It has a female
funny-looking plug on the side labelled
DC 12V 8.3A

I have never known what this plug is for, nor can I find any info on
it in the manual or via Google. Some has said it is for charging the
generator batery. Could it be so?

If so, what wud the necessary plug/wire thingee be called so's I can
order same. I never saw one in the original box - now long gone.

Thanks

Wei

I am also curious what this plug is called. It looks like a normal 2-prong AC american plug but the blades are slanted 45 degrees.. \ / instead of | |

The reason I am curious is that I am looking for a suitable generator in order to output DC only. These connectors seem fairly common on generators supporting DC output, but all of the jones plugs I have seen are either 90 degree or parrallel pins (are rarely two prong).

Just to note -- The duromax that I have has a DC output with no specified rating for amperage. The only instructions provided is that the DC output is to *only* be used to charge a battery. Ironically, I ended up in a situation where an AGM battery would not be charged via a regular AC plug-in charger and the only resort was to use the generator. The output voltage was 15v with no load (labeled 12v, ofc) so it is suited for battery charging (albeit one phase). Oddly, though, as soon as the battery made it up to ~11v the breaker would flip as if it was exceeding it's amperage. This sort of makes sense but oddly would make it only usefulness to charge a severely undercharged battery.

I have always thought they should make a more suitable DC connector .. the standard car odd penis looking one is bulky and although I adore JST they can be a difficult to fill with solder. If this The Plug That Shall Not Be Named was more widely available it may be common to see full enclosures similar to AC outlets available for DC usage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My popup camper plugs into their main plug. Running 12v and 110v same time. Look into camper plugs
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 14, 2017 at 7:04:01 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Have you looked at the online manuals for the other generators that
you say have them? You could stop by a local portable generator
store and ask them. I've never seen one. I guess a cigarette type
outlet was too easy.

Generator 1 / Power cut 0 Bill UK diy 59 November 27th 13 12:24 PM
Gas Generator Sets, Diesel Generator Sets, Gas Turbines and Power Plants PBMTWW UK diy 1 September 1st 11 10:34 AM
Generator question - no power Nick Danger Home Repair 5 August 25th 09 12:31 AM
850watt power generator question DIY[_5_] UK diy 19 June 20th 09 02:41 PM
Backup Power Generator Charles UK diy 5 January 17th 05 10:24 PM