Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Power Generator Question

On Thursday, October 16, 2014 5:47:30 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 09:23:00 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 08:33:46 -0400, Stormin Mormon

wrote:

On 10/14/2014 8:19 AM, trader_4 wrote:

If it's to be able to charge batteries, then it would have to be significantly

higher than 12V. An auto battery is about 25% charged at 12V, fully charged at 12.7, and chargers typically use 13.5 - 14V to do the charging. Which it may

be, it might just be labeled and spec'd incorrectly. If it's really 12V, it's

not going to work to charge an auto type battery. But it's definitely not

to charge the battery for the generator itself as the OP suggested. That's already taken care of by the generator.

Don't remember that the OP put a VOM on it,

so we're just going by some company that

labels the socket.

No I did not. Can't find my damned meter. But I will.

Wei

I am being told that my generator battery is kept charged when the

generator is running, and therefore I do not need to charge it

elsewise. We shall see I guess. Thanks all

Wei

If it has a starting battery, but isn't designed to charge the battery,
it would be the first such generator I've ever seen. What would you do
if you were designing it? Charge it or put in an outlet and expect the
user to charge it? Any instructions in the manual that tell you how and
when to charge the battery? Seems if it were required, that would be in there.
The wiring diagram in the manual also clearly shows the separate battery charging circuit, so there's that.....

If you need unregulated, full wave rectified DC, 12V +/- X% to use for
something else, then get the cables. Otherwise, it doesn't matter.
I have a battery charger and if I needed
to charge an auto battery when the power is out, I'd use the generator
to power the charger. So far, that has never happened here.

You're not Jesse Pinkman, are you? On Breaking Bad they needed to use
a generator like that because their RV cook lab had a dead battery in
the middle of the desert 20 miles from civilization. It didn't work
though, they mamaged to set the generator on fire while trying to start
it. Jesse was very confused.