Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Power Generator Question

On Friday, July 14, 2017 at 7:04:01 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, October 13, 2014 at 2:03:43 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I have a WEN Power Pro Model 9000 16HP generator. It has a female
funny-looking plug on the side labelled
DC 12V 8.3A

I have never known what this plug is for, nor can I find any info on
it in the manual or via Google. Some has said it is for charging the
generator batery. Could it be so?

If so, what wud the necessary plug/wire thingee be called so's I can
order same. I never saw one in the original box - now long gone.

Thanks

Wei

I am also curious what this plug is called. It looks like a normal 2-prong AC american plug but the blades are slanted 45 degrees.. \ / instead of | |

The reason I am curious is that I am looking for a suitable generator in order to output DC only. These connectors seem fairly common on generators supporting DC output, but all of the jones plugs I have seen are either 90 degree or parrallel pins (are rarely two prong).

Just to note -- The duromax that I have has a DC output with no specified rating for amperage. The only instructions provided is that the DC output is to *only* be used to charge a battery. Ironically, I ended up in a situation where an AGM battery would not be charged via a regular AC plug-in charger and the only resort was to use the generator. The output voltage was 15v with no load (labeled 12v, ofc) so it is suited for battery charging (albeit one phase). Oddly, though, as soon as the battery made it up to ~11v the breaker would flip as if it was exceeding it's amperage. This sort of makes sense but oddly would make it only usefulness to charge a severely undercharged battery.

I have always thought they should make a more suitable DC connector .. the standard car odd penis looking one is bulky and although I adore JST they can be a difficult to fill with solder. If this The Plug That Shall Not Be Named was more widely available it may be common to see full enclosures similar to AC outlets available for DC usage.

Have you looked at the online manuals for the other generators that
you say have them? You could stop by a local portable generator
store and ask them. I've never seen one. I guess a cigarette type
outlet was too easy.