Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Generator 1 / Power cut 0

Well, it finally happened last night at about 19:15. Half the village
lost power and we were told it would be 00:30 before it could be
restored, overhead line down. They were actually early, it came back on
at 00:27, so not bad!

Anyway I put the transfer switch over and started the genny. Was I
smug? YES!!!!

Apart from a dull thudding sound in the background my evening carried on
relatively as normal. Visited a few neighbours and boiled a few
kettles.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill
writes
Well, it finally happened last night at about 19:15. Half the village
lost power and we were told it would be 00:30 before it could be
restored, overhead line down. They were actually early, it came back
on at 00:27, so not bad!

Anyway I put the transfer switch over and started the genny. Was I
smug? YES!!!!

Apart from a dull thudding sound in the background my evening carried
on relatively as normal. Visited a few neighbours and boiled a few
kettles.

We rely on some camping gas stoves. However, as they are stored behind
the garage electric doors there may be something wrong with my plan!

On 30th. October we were due to have our 11kV overheads disconnected and
re-routed through the new underground cables. Because of the storm
damage down South, all the available jointers were called off for
emergency work elsewhere.

The job was actually done last Sunday. We now have about 600m of safe to
work overhead copper.....

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 8:22:50 AM UTC, Bill wrote:
Well, it finally happened last night at about 19:15. Half the village

lost power and we were told it would be 00:30 before it could be

restored, overhead line down. They were actually early, it came back on

at 00:27, so not bad!

Anyway I put the transfer switch over and started the genny. Was I

smug? YES!!!!

Apart from a dull thudding sound in the background my evening carried on

relatively as normal. Visited a few neighbours and boiled a few

kettles.

--

Bill

How mu did you spend on the genny, transfer switch etc?

What would it have cost to book into a local decent hotel for the night and a meal out at a nice restaurant?

Philip
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bill
writes

Apart from a dull thudding sound in the background my evening carried on
relatively as normal. Visited a few neighbours and boiled a few
kettles.

Was that from the genny or the frightened villagers trying to batter the
door down (clearly the devil's work).
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 10:38:20 AM UTC, wrote:
On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 8:22:50 AM UTC, Bill wrote:

Well, it finally happened last night at about 19:15. Half the village

lost power and we were told it would be 00:30 before it could be

restored, overhead line down. They were actually early, it came back on

at 00:27, so not bad!

Anyway I put the transfer switch over and started the genny. Was I

smug? YES!!!!

Apart from a dull thudding sound in the background my evening carried on

relatively as normal. Visited a few neighbours and boiled a few

kettles.

--

Bill

How mu did you spend on the genny, transfer switch etc?

What would it have cost to book into a local decent hotel for the night and a meal out at a nice restaurant?

Philip

....presumably the hotel in the half with power?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

If it happens on a night when we have heavy frost, then it could cost you a burst pipe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday 20 November 2013 11:38 Road_Hog wrote in uk.d-i-y:

If it happens on a night when we have heavy frost, then it could cost you
a burst pipe.

Come on - the residual heat in the house would prevent that - it takes a
prolongued period of below freezing external temperatures to cool a building
enough that the water in the pipes inside will also cool enough to freeze.

Even then, you're still unlucky to get a burst pipe - copper and plastic can
both take a bit of abuse. Lead OTOH was a bugger for splitting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bill
scribeth thus
Well, it finally happened last night at about 19:15. Half the village
lost power and we were told it would be 00:30 before it could be
restored, overhead line down. They were actually early, it came back on
at 00:27, so not bad!

Anyway I put the transfer switch over and started the genny. Was I
smug? YES!!!!

Apart from a dull thudding sound in the background my evening carried on
relatively as normal. Visited a few neighbours and boiled a few
kettles.

Only the one overhead?, I thought that most places like small villages
were dual supplied so that power could be fed back through the one line
whilst the other was down of is that wishful thunking?..

What's the power of the gennie Bill?, "thudding" seems like a diseasel..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 12:41:21 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

If it happens on a night when we have heavy frost, then it could

cost
you a burst pipe.

Come on - the residual heat in the house would prevent that - it takes a
prolongued period of below freezing external temperatures to cool a
building enough that the water in the pipes inside will also cool enough
to freeze.

Agreed, un lagged in an external draft in a well insulated roof space
might be a problem.

Even then, you're still unlucky to get a burst pipe - copper and plastic
can both take a bit of abuse. Lead OTOH was a bugger for splitting.

I must post a photo of the burst bit of 15 mm copper that appeared in
the (untterly unheated) garage last winter. Trouble is I can't find
it ATM. B-(

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
Come on - the residual heat in the house would prevent that - it takes a
prolongued period of below freezing external temperatures to cool a building
enough that the water in the pipes inside will also cool enough to freeze.

Unless you live in a sooper dooper thermally insulated newbuild house
where the pipes are routed around the house on the *outside* of the
insulation - as I did a few years ago in deepest Aberdeenshire. After
a couple of days with snow piled up outside the pipes were frozzed
solid. Nice cosy house, though.

jgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, it finally happened last night at about 19:15. Half the village
lost power and we were told it would be 00:30 before it could be
restored, overhead line down. They were actually early, it came back on
at 00:27, so not bad!

Anyway I put the transfer switch over and started the genny. Was I
smug? YES!!!!

Apart from a dull thudding sound in the background my evening carried on
relatively as normal. Visited a few neighbours and boiled a few
kettles.

I assume you had all the outside lights on to rub it in.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/13 13:57, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Bill
scribeth thus
Well, it finally happened last night at about 19:15. Half the village
lost power and we were told it would be 00:30 before it could be
restored, overhead line down. They were actually early, it came back on
at 00:27, so not bad!

Anyway I put the transfer switch over and started the genny. Was I
smug? YES!!!!

Apart from a dull thudding sound in the background my evening carried on
relatively as normal. Visited a few neighbours and boiled a few
kettles.

Only the one overhead?, I thought that most places like small villages
were dual supplied so that power could be fed back through the one line
whilst the other was down of is that wishful thunking?..

What's the power of the gennie Bill?, "thudding" seems like a diseasel..

down here the 11KV is DEFINITELY a ring.

when my 11kv developed a problem they cut off everyone, then isolated
the km or so feeding me and one neighbour and gave us a genny each.
Massive things.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2013 16:37, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 02:38:20 -0800 (PST), wrote:

How mu did you spend on the genny, transfer switch etc?

What would it have cost to book into a local decent hotel for the night
and a meal out at a nice restaurant?

Two people, one night with power, vacancies and decent £150 to £200.
Premier Inns are around £60/night/room they are OK but not what I
would call "decent". Meal for two in a decent restaurant, not much
change from £100. The eatery pubs next to Premier Inns are OK but not
what I would call "decent", £30 to £50 for two with drinks.

So £300 for the night away. That'll get the transfer switch and
wiring. Depending on the size of the genset the next power cut and
night away buys that. "Profit" from then on...

Our 2 kVA standby genset and extension cables probably cost no more
than £200. At some point I'll spend a bit more money either making a
lean to shelter for it outside or extending the exhaust through the
garage wall so it can be run in there.

My 2.8 KVA set was, I think, only £60 from Aldi, or possibly Lidl. It
is on wheels so I can use it around the garden and therefore be
reasonably sure it will work when really needed.

Don't have a changeover switch so have to rely on very strict
procedures. Have prominent, and permanent, labels attached to main
switch, connecting cable and generator, just in case I am not available
(say dead) when the power returns and the house needs to be swirched back.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
" writes

How mu did you spend on the genny, transfer switch etc?

What would it have cost to book into a local decent hotel for the night
and a meal out at a nice restaurant?

Philip

The genny was free, and I forget about the transfer switch, not a lot
though.

You're not a hotelier by any chance?
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 19:09:26 +0000, Bill wrote:

How mu did you spend on the genny, transfer switch etc?

What would it have cost to book into a local decent hotel for the night
and a meal out at a nice restaurant?

The genny was free, and I forget about the transfer switch, not a lot
though.

You're not a hotelier by any chance?

Can I have a free generator, please?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tony sayer
writes

Only the one overhead?, I thought that most places like small villages
were dual supplied so that power could be fed back through the one line
whilst the other was down of is that wishful thunking?..

What's the power of the gennie Bill?, "thudding" seems like a diseasel..

It was a bit strange Tony. My road has always been on a different feed
from the rest of the area, but this time half the village went. In the
past the faults have always been with an underground cable, but this
time they told me it was an overhead. None nearby so it was presumably
before the underground bit.

7.5KVA 2 cylinder Lister diesel. Ex one of our sites that I
decommissioned a few years ago. We had the original genny stolen and
this was the replacement, it had only done test hours in the few years
it was in service, last night was probably the longest it has ever
run!!
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2013 13:57, tony sayer wrote:

Only the one overhead?, I thought that most places like small villages
were dual supplied so that power could be fed back through the one line
whilst the other was down of is that wishful thunking?..

Only a single feed to my road. Overhead along the road (3 phase and
earth/neutral/star point). Used to be fed overhead (by a bit of wet
string) across a field opposite but when the new estate was built across
that field (45 years ago) it went underground then up a pole opposite
me. The estate is fed underground from the new substation.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 20:06:12 +0000, Old Codger wrote:

Only the one overhead?, I thought that most places like small villages
were dual supplied so that power could be fed back through the one line
whilst the other was down of is that wishful thunking?..

Only a single feed to my road. Overhead along the road (3 phase and
earth/neutral/star point). Used to be fed overhead (by a bit of wet
string) across a field opposite but when the new estate was built across
that field (45 years ago) it went underground then up a pole opposite
me. The estate is fed underground from the new substation.

Single feed to here, too. The transformer's up a pole on our land, serves
six houses and a small farm. The 11kV comes a-wandering through quite a
lot of trees which haven't been trimmed in too long - so there's going to
be a full day shutdown in the very near future whilst they get busy with
the chainsaws. The way the Western Power guys went a bit pale when they
looked at how tangled it all is suggests that we're lucky it's not gone
off yet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
[...]

Oo, nice. Let me know if you find another one. ;-)

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bill
scribeth thus
In message , tony sayer
writes

Only the one overhead?, I thought that most places like small villages
were dual supplied so that power could be fed back through the one line
whilst the other was down of is that wishful thunking?..

What's the power of the gennie Bill?, "thudding" seems like a diseasel..

It was a bit strange Tony. My road has always been on a different feed
from the rest of the area, but this time half the village went. In the
past the faults have always been with an underground cable, but this
time they told me it was an overhead. None nearby so it was presumably
before the underground bit.

OK...

7.5KVA 2 cylinder Lister diesel. Ex one of our sites that I
decommissioned a few years ago. We had the original genny stolen and
this was the replacement, it had only done test hours in the few years
it was in service, last night was probably the longest it has ever
run!!

Ah!, That should be dependable when you need it....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:22:50 PM UTC+13, Bill wrote:

Anyway I put the transfer switch over and started the genny. Was I
smug? YES!!!!

I've just finished wiring up the house with an alternative power supply from the garage. Two power points upstairs and two downstairs. A 1500 watt inverter from the car battery or a 2500 watt 4 stroke petrol generator.
Next is a 12 volt system running LED lights and emergency spotlights.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

[...]

When the underground 11kV supply to the substation in my back garden failed
at 8pm YEDL turned up with what looked like a mobile burger van at 11pm,
parked it outside my bedroom window and started the 3 phase 11kV generator
up with "extension leads down to the substation" to supply the village.

I have no idea if it was noisy as they also spend all night digging the
pavement up:-(
--
Adam

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2013 08:54, Tim Lamb wrote:

On 30th. October we were due to have our 11kV overheads disconnected and
re-routed through the new underground cables. Because of the storm
damage down South, all the available jointers were called off for
emergency work elsewhere.

The job was actually done last Sunday. We now have about 600m of safe to
work overhead copper.....

Hmmmm, now you've posted that, will it be there tomorrow?

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 19:33:29 +0000, Bill wrote:

In message , Muddymike
writes

I assume you had all the outside lights on to rub it in.

Yes :-)

Don't blame you. I would've too. ;-)

At what point does it become more economical to run your own genny than
to continue getting ****ed over by the power companies? Say if you get a
diesel genny and run it on red (which I imagine is legal) Have we reached
that point yet?

cd

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

How mu did you spend on the genny, transfer switch etc?

What would it have cost to book into a local decent hotel for the night and a meal out at a nice restaurant?

Some people know the price of everything and the value of sweet eff a.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian C
writes
On 20/11/2013 08:54, Tim Lamb wrote:

On 30th. October we were due to have our 11kV overheads disconnected and
re-routed through the new underground cables. Because of the storm
damage down South, all the available jointers were called off for
emergency work elsewhere.

The job was actually done last Sunday. We now have about 600m of safe to
work overhead copper.....

Hmmmm, now you've posted that, will it be there tomorrow?

I have an all terrain masted forklift and plenty of pallets to stand
on...:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday 21 November 2013 19:34 Cursitor Doom wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 19:33:29 +0000, Bill wrote:

In message , Muddymike
writes

I assume you had all the outside lights on to rub it in.

Yes :-)

Don't blame you. I would've too. ;-)

At what point does it become more economical to run your own genny than
to continue getting ****ed over by the power companies? Say if you get a
diesel genny and run it on red (which I imagine is legal) Have we reached
that point yet?

cd

I would have hung up the external flashing fairly lights and put something
brass-band like on the HiFi at full volume!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 19:34:03 +0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom wrote:

Say if you get a diesel genny and run it on red (which I imagine is
legal)

Yep, only public highway using vehicles need to use road fuel (with a
few exceptions). If you have a vehicle that never uses the public
highway you can run it on red or claim back the duty paid on petrol
(but I think the hoops are many an various).

Have we reached that point yet?

Haven't looked at the price of red recently but I should imagine it's
about 75p/l. That roughly equates to 7.5p/kWHr but a small genset is
not going to be very effcient, 30% maybe(*). so make that over
20p/kWhr.

(*) If you can keep a decent load on it. Our 2kVA drinks about a
litre an hour running the CH, fridge/freezer (dual compressor type)
and freezer. I'd imagine the average load is only a couple of hundred
watts, that's about 2% ...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

I have an all terrain masted forklift and plenty of pallets to stand
on...:-)

A bit like this chap?

http://www.vertikal.net/en/news/story/18782/

or this?

http://www.vertikal.net/en/news/story/13807/

This one didn't even need the forklift

http://www.vertikal.net/en/news/story/18291/

OTOH, with a telehandler

http://www.vertikal.net/en/news/story/18486/

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris J Dixon
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

I have an all terrain masted forklift and plenty of pallets to stand
on...:-)

A bit like this chap?

http://www.vertikal.net/en/news/story/18782/

or this?

http://www.vertikal.net/en/news/story/13807/

This one didn't even need the forklift

http://www.vertikal.net/en/news/story/18291/

OTOH, with a telehandler

http://www.vertikal.net/en/news/story/18486/

The pallet was intended to be jocular:-)

Hugely tempting to use a grain bucket for unplanned, temporary access
though.

H&S have prosecuted managers for allowing employees to use unapproved
equipment but I have not yet found cases involving the self employed.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-11-21, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 19:34:03 +0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom wrote:

Say if you get a diesel genny and run it on red (which I imagine is
legal)

Yep, only public highway using vehicles need to use road fuel (with a
few exceptions). If you have a vehicle that never uses the public
highway you can run it on red or claim back the duty paid on petrol

'Fraid not. There is no process by which the duty on petrol can be
reclaimed.

Are you sure that includes the likes of engine testing?

Avgas doesn't attract as much duty as road petrol.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 11:15:30 +0000, Fredxxx wrote:

Avgas doesn't attract as much duty as road petrol.

But is significantly more expensive than "road" petrol.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/11/2013 11:19, Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 11:15:30 +0000, Fredxxx wrote:

Avgas doesn't attract as much duty as road petrol.

But is significantly more expensive than "road" petrol.

Maybe, but that is for economies of scale and distribution costs.

Nevertheless it does prove that petrol can be purchased with less duty
"content" than road petrol.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 11:46:01 +0000, Fredxxx wrote:

Yep, only public highway using vehicles need to use road fuel (with
a few exceptions). If you have a vehicle that never uses the public
highway you can run it on red or claim back the duty paid on petrol

'Fraid not. There is no process by which the duty on petrol can be
reclaimed.

Are you sure that includes the likes of engine testing?

Avgas doesn't attract as much duty as road petrol.

But is significantly more expensive than "road" petrol.

Maybe, but that is for economies of scale and distribution costs.

Nevertheless it does prove that petrol can be purchased with less duty
"content" than road petrol.

It does, yes. But that wasn't the question. The question related to
reclaiming the duty on "road" petrol.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 20:26:00 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

(*) If you can keep a decent load on it. Our 2kVA drinks about a litre
an hour running the CH, fridge/freezer (dual compressor type) and
freezer. I'd imagine the average load is only a couple of hundred watts,
that's about 2% ...

I don't geddit. Your genny is 2kva yet you are running all this off it??
The heating alone is 1kw per rad minimum so what am I missing here?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-11-21, ARW wrote:

When the underground 11kV supply to the substation in my back garden

How is it that it does not surprise me that you have your own private
substation?

)

All the best people do :-)

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 11:54:06 +0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
wrote:

I don't geddit. Your genny is 2kva yet you are running all this off it??
The heating alone is 1kw per rad minimum so what am I missing here?

The electrical load of the heating system is for the pump and burner
motor/controls only.