Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Power Generator Question

On Thursday, October 16, 2014 9:43:33 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"trader_4" wrote in message

If it has a starting battery, but isn't designed to charge the battery,

it would be the first such generator I've ever seen. What would you do

if you were designing it? Charge it or put in an outlet and expect the

user to charge it? Any instructions in the manual that tell you how and

when to charge the battery? Seems if it were required, that would be in

there.

About 2 years ago I bought a 5 KW generator at Northern Tools that has a

NICAD battery and no charging circuit. It does have a wall cube that you

are suspose to plug into the house while not using the generator.

Sofar I have not used that generator. I put the oil in the crankcase and

hit the start button without any gas in it to let the oil circulate. It was

bought when my other 5 kw generator would not start, but I repaired it.

That ethanol gas had sit in it too long and crudded up the carburator.

Well, there's always a first. But in your case they supplied a wallwart
and I assume instructions on how to use it. I presume the idea is that
the wallwart keeps the battery charged all the time, so the generator is
ready to start. And that when using it, you could power the WW off the
generator to keep the battery charged.

The home standy generators use the AC to keep the battery charged. But
every one of those I've seen also have their own charging circuit that
charges the battery when the generator is running.