Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to truck 1,000 gallons of potable water to a residence

How did this turn out for you Danny? I live on Clayton Road at 1000 foot elevation, rent a home with 2 wells. One, the original is 150 ft deep. The second added in the last drought is 350 feet deep. We have one 5000 gallon tank which over the past 3 years I have lived here has maintained 4500 gallon fill (presume there is a float shut-off so the well does not overfill the tank). Noticed 3 months ago that the water level had dropped to 1500 gallons and instituted drastic water conservation lifestyle changes. This morning awoke to dry taps in the house. (with no water down 350 feet its a wonder any trees survive... already lost and taken out 3 redwoods with their shallow root system did not make it). There apparently are only 2 licensed companies in Santa Clara Valley to deliver drinking quality water. Left messages with both this morning and no call back yet (now 1PM). I have an F-350 and have hauled an 8000 lb trailer up and down clayton road (with trailer brakes) and know it can haul 18000 pounds up this grade. Hence I like the idea of renting a 10,000 lb capacity dual axle trailer with brakes, buying a water tank (assuming it costs close to the est. $400, getting a meter from SJWC and a water pump to transfer from trailer to home storage tank. Five trips every 1-3 months in a trailer rented for the day sounds pretty cost effective, and self sufficient. Do you think others would need it up here? How to reach besides door to door? Not looking to make bank, just defray the cost of trailer rental and tank purchase, and do some good for the neighbors.

As mentioned, have not heard back from the water delivery services, but read on another board that it might cost $1000 for 5000 gallons of drinking water delivered. (did you find that to be the rate?). If so, it makes the trailer pulled by my own truck sound viable, and might offer a great deal to a few neighbors.

So I have a few questions you might have some insights into...

What price per 1000 gallons of drinking water did you find for delivery service?

Thoughts on attaching a tank to a rental trailer (8000 lb of water has huge momentum in any sudden maneuver, deer in the road kind of thing would make me a wary driver even with secure attachment... and would never transport less than topped off tank otherwise the sloshing on acceleration or braking would be problematic, the tank would not have baffles).

In the month(s) between fill-up what is the best way(s) to fight algae growth in the tank without making water thereafter unpotable in that tank?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark,

How will you clean the trailer so that the water remains potable in
transport? It would be naive to assume that the trailer will be clean. Look
into Ozone generators to keep bacteria down in your storage tank. There will
be some leaching of chemicals from the tank's walls so you may want to test
for that.
Your local Ag Ext. agent may have advice on water tanks.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/11/2015 7:42 AM, David L. Martel wrote:
Mark,

How will you clean the trailer so that the water remains potable in
transport? ...

The trailer is simply to set a potable water tank upon for transport...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb,

He's got a 5K tank and wants to trailer 1K at a time. He's intends to
buy the 1K tank. He'll need to clean it before each use of the tank. If he
used it twice in a day I think it would be ok to not clean between loads. He
needs to buy the necessary cleaning gear and be sure that the tanks are easy
to clean .

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 3:27:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Here's a link to a supplier of plastic water tanks of all kinds. ^_^

http://www.plastic-mart.com/

[8~{} Uncle Plastic Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/11/2015 6:06 PM, David L. Martel wrote:
dpb,

He's got a 5K tank and wants to trailer 1K at a time. He's intends to
buy the 1K tank. He'll need to clean it before each use of the tank. If
he used it twice in a day I think it would be ok to not clean between
loads. He needs to buy the necessary cleaning gear and be sure that the
tanks are easy to clean .

The point was the dirty "trailer"...the trailer is immaterial; only the
tank.

What's to contaminate it as long as it's closed and used only for
potable water...it'll be just fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

One other thing that might be worth considering is that El Nino
is brewing in the Pacific at this very moment and it's a big one.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/12/2015 7:30 AM, trader_4 wrote:

One other thing that might be worth considering is that El Nino
is brewing in the Pacific at this very moment and it's a big one.
That will almost certainly put an end to the CA drought in the
next few months, so in the range of solutions, he might want
to factor that in. Or maybe secure the tanks so they don't slide
away with the mud....

Can only hope but while it's possible to replenish some of the surface
water, it'll take years rather than months for groundwater to recover
and likely some areas have been so depleted they never will; at least in
practical time spans of just a few years.

The areas in the Central Valley that have subsided (some places by feet,
not just inches) are now more compacted such that renewal will be
limited even if rains/snowmelts do return such that regeneration will be
slower if not permanently lost...it's not a pretty thought.

It'd been one thing to have had the drought in the area 1000 yr ago when
it wasn't populated; it's something else again now that it has been so
thoroughly pumped out of ground reservoirs to boot...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
[...]

If only the know-it-alls would have added to the water storage, which has
not been increased over a period of time the population has doubled or
tripled. No matter how many times they have been told . . .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 12, 2015 at 8:25:46 AM UTC-5, taxed and spent wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
[...]

Perhaps it's another reason people are moving out of Californiastan? I saw a story about folks in Oregon who are putting "No Californians" stickers on all the "Home for sale" signs in Oregon because Californians are moving there and driving up home prices. As long as Commiecrats are running Californiastan, productive people are going to go someplace else and take their tax dollars with them. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Water Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/12/2015 8:25 AM, taxed and spent wrote:

It'd been one thing to have had the drought in the area 1000 yr ago when
it wasn't populated; it's something else again now that it has been so
thoroughly pumped out of ground reservoirs to boot...

If only the know-it-alls would have added to the water storage, which has
not been increased over a period of time the population has doubled or
tripled. No matter how many times they have been told . . .

Only would be successful in delaying the inevitable; their current water
usage patterns aren't sustainable in that they're outstripping
groundwater reservoir longterm regeneration rates...without significant
changes in usage efficiencies and patterns it's only a matter of time...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 06:25:38 -0700, "taxed and spent"
wrote:

If only the know-it-alls would have added to the water storage, which has
not been increased over a period of time the population has doubled or
tripled. No matter how many times they have been told . . .

California liberal democrats closed down desalination plants. They
have plenty of water on the coast to reduce any drought. I've read
they may activate an old one. They better. One day Nevada will cut
the supply to them or maybe even Arizona. (water wars). Lake Mead has
a new "straw", deep as 600' to extract water. One day we could shut
them off from our water supply from the Colorado River.

Republicans could fix the problems, if California ever voted for a
real one
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/12/2015 6:17 AM, dpb wrote:
On 09/12/2015 7:30 AM, trader_4 wrote:

One other thing that might be worth considering is that El Nino
is brewing in the Pacific at this very moment and it's a big one.
That will almost certainly put an end to the CA drought in the
next few months, so in the range of solutions, he might want
to factor that in. Or maybe secure the tanks so they don't slide
away with the mud....

Can only hope but while it's possible to replenish some of the surface water,
it'll take years rather than months for groundwater to recover and likely some
areas have been so depleted they never will; at least in practical time spans
of just a few years.

I can't understand the california mindset -- still watering lawns, etc.
I recall talking with a friend (from CA) decades ago in school wrt the
water issue, there (water had never been a problem in any of the places
I'd lived: "God waters the grass -- and, too often, at that!").

I recall her mentioning "yellow is mellow but brown goes down" as the
"manual conservation mechanism". Did this attitude change sometime in
the recent past? Or, are folks willing to reduce *flushes* but still
intent on lush greenscapes?

The areas in the Central Valley that have subsided (some places by feet, not
just inches) are now more compacted such that renewal will be limited even if
rains/snowmelts do return such that regeneration will be slower if not
permanently lost...it's not a pretty thought.

Yup. People tend to think all natural resources are infinite.
Then, when there's a shortage, it's "How did this happen??"

Some years ago, I read an article (that I have frequently sought in
the years since) that addressed "mineral" resources. The author
went through a list of estimated planet-wide quantities of each.
Then, tried to estimate the resources *remaining*.

The only item that stuck in my mind was copper. He claimed that
of all the copper there ever is and ever *will* be (until a new
planet is formed), 1/4 of it is in current use (in our homes,
cell phones, computers, power lines, etc.); another 1/4 of it
is buried in land fills (because we never thought it important
enough to "rescue", until recently); another 1/4 remains relatively
easily harvestable in the mantle; and the final 1/4 is too widely
distributed to make harvesting (mining) practical.

When you consider how the "in use" and "in land fills" resources
represent such a small, recent portion of human activity, you have
to wonder how long the remaining 1/4 will last!

Imagine what this must be like for some of the scarcer resources.

It'd been one thing to have had the drought in the area 1000 yr ago when it
wasn't populated; it's something else again now that it has been so thoroughly
pumped out of ground reservoirs to boot...

It's always easier to consume than it is to create!