Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Separating Potable Water from Heating Water Loop

I live in Maine. My heating and hot water system is a bit unorthodox.
The system is designed around an 80000BTU/h hot water heater that is used
for both potable and hot water. The system is 18 years old and works
great. The hot water feeds a radiant floor heating system that
continually circulates the water in a heating loop with hot water injected
into the loop as needed. Piping and Fittings are polyethylene rated for
this use with a few copper fittings here and there.

I am told that the system is not to code due to the mixing of potable and
HW. Can I install a heat exchanger between the two circuits? One plumber
says that code requires the use of a hot water boiler. Another plumber
says no. Multiple pro's seem to disagree. To me it doesn't make sense to
use a boiler since my system does not require high water temperatures.
What does the code truly require?

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...op-750934-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

posted fromhttp://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/separating-potable-water-fro...
using *HomeOwnersHub's *Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to *home and garden related *groups

Check with your local building department
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparent55 View Post
I am told that the system is not to code due to the mixing of potable and
HW.
I agree that you need to speak to your local plumbing inspector on this.

The reason why you're not allowed to mix hydronic heating water with potable water is that hydronic heating systems will often use corrosion inhibitor chemicals in them to prevent corrosion of the iron boiler and radiators, and you don't want to be drinking those chemicals.

However, in your case, your heating water is coming out of a water heater, not a boiler, and that's where the issue about separating the two waters arises. There's no problem drinking water that comes out of a hot water heater, and I don't see how it traveling through the radiant floor heating system can make it any less healthy to drink.

In fact, I have trouble understanding why, if there is no corrosion inhibitor added to hydronic heating water, why it would be unsafe to drink either. It may be black in colour because of the iron oxide in it, but that's no different than drinking water that's brownish in colour because of the rust in it, and people do that all the time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dparent55 wrote:
[...]

It's OK in Seattle. Does that help a lot?

Posted to alt.home.repair

dparent55 wrote:
[...]

Water from a water heater is not potable. Maybe legally it is, but water
from a water heater should never be consumed. It is used for bathing,
washing, etc., but not for cooking or drinking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
dparent55 wrote:
[...]

They sell a lot of those "instant hot water" dispensors, considering what you
say here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 12:34*pm, "
wrote:
On Jun 3, 10:44*am, dparent55

wrote:
[...]

Check with your local building department- Hide quoted text -

+1

I see companies selling heat exchangers for that purpose.
So apparently they are permitted, at least in some places.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 15:44:01 +0000, dparent55
wrote:

I live in Maine. My heating and hot water system is a bit unorthodox.
The system is designed around an 80000BTU/h hot water heater that is used
for both potable and hot water.

I am told that the system is not to code due to the mixing of potable and
HW. Can I install a heat exchanger between the two circuits? One plumber
says that code requires the use of a hot water boiler. Another plumber
says no. Multiple pro's seem to disagree.

Not seeing your system, it is impossible to say. It is possible and
done frequently, to add a heat exchange on a regular boiler to make
potable hot water separate from the heating system.

This is one of many systems that work with a regular heating boiler. I
don't know if it can be adapted to your setup or not.
http://www.amtrol.com/boilermate.html

Efficient boilers and heat exchangers here too.
www.energykinetics.com

Since you are still alive, I guess your system works, but no way would
I buy your house like that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
dparent55 wrote:
[...]

Why ?
What is the problem if you keep your heater clean, have clean water go in,
and the temp is high enough to prevent growth of anything live ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Attila Iskander wrote:

Water from a water heater is not potable. Maybe legally it is, but water
from a water heater should never be consumed. It is used for bathing,
washing, etc., but not for cooking or drinking.

Why ?
What is the problem if you keep your heater clean, have clean water
go in, and the temp is high enough to prevent growth of anything live
?

Ah, that's just it; the water heater temperature is NOT sufficient to kill
anything alive. For example:

"On the side of most water heaters you’ll find a warning that says water
temperatures of 125 degrees Fahrenheit can cause burns or death. To be
safe, the water coming out of the plumbing fixtures in a home shouldn’t be
any hotter than 120 degrees.

"At temperatures below 135 to 140, Legionellae bacteria, which is
responsible for Legionnaires’ Disease, can survive and even multiply in the
water heater tank. Estimates by LegionellaPrevention.org say that up to
600,000 cases of Legionnaires’ Disease are misdiagnosed as pnemonia each
year, because this is something that isn’t tested for in hospitals."

It takes a temperature of 158 degrees to kill the Legionnaire's Disease
bacteria.

See:
http://www.structuretech1.com/2012/04/water-heater-temperature/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 5, 7:42*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Attila Iskander wrote:
[...]

Has anyone gotten legionaires from drinking water though? All
the cases I've heard of I thought it was aspirated, like from misting
systems, spray fountains, showers, etc?

Even if a hot water tank is kept hot enough so bacteria isn't a
problem,
the water coming out, in my experience, isn't fit to drink if you
don't have to.
The tank has all kinds of sediment build-up and if you taste the water
it doesn't taste very good at all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:24:16 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Has anyone gotten legionaires from drinking water though? All

In these combination systems I don't think you expect to drink the hot water. You just get your heating water and your domestic hot water from the same boiler. If you have a water softener you shouldn't drink hot water anyway, it has salt in it.

We installed a couple of these systems at work years ago, I think the brand was Apollo. They met code in Virginia. I was skeptical but they worked fine.

When we lived in Germany we had an oil fired boiler that supplied both hydronic heat (heated tile bathroom floors - very nice on a cold morning!) and the hot water for showers etc. Germany is very strict on code (DIN).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 5, 12:08*pm, TimR wrote:
On Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:24:16 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Has anyone gotten legionaires from drinking water though? *All

In these combination systems I don't think you expect to drink the hot water. *You just get your heating water and your domestic hot water from the same boiler.

In the system in question, he doesn't have a boiler, he has a
conventional water heater that's being used to supply hot water
to the house and for radiant heat. But the issue of legionaires in
hot water would apply to any tank type water heater.

*If you have a water softener you shouldn't drink hot water anyway, it has salt in it.

Don;t most residential water softening systems feed softened
water to the cold water taps too?