Posted to alt.home.repair
Attila Iskander Attila Iskander is offline

Default Separating Potable Water from Heating Water Loop

"HeyBub" wrote in message
dparent55 wrote:
I live in Maine. My heating and hot water system is a bit unorthodox.
The system is designed around an 80000BTU/h hot water heater that is
used for both potable and hot water. The system is 18 years old and
works great. The hot water feeds a radiant floor heating system that
continually circulates the water in a heating loop with hot water
injected into the loop as needed. Piping and Fittings are
polyethylene rated for this use with a few copper fittings here and
there.
I am told that the system is not to code due to the mixing of potable
and HW. Can I install a heat exchanger between the two circuits? One
plumber says that code requires the use of a hot water boiler. Another
plumber says no. Multiple pro's seem to disagree. To me it
doesn't make sense to use a boiler since my system does not require
high water temperatures. What does the code truly require?

Water from a water heater is not potable. Maybe legally it is, but water
from a water heater should never be consumed. It is used for bathing,
washing, etc., but not for cooking or drinking.

Why ?
What is the problem if you keep your heater clean, have clean water go in,
and the temp is high enough to prevent growth of anything live ?