Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Separating Potable Water from Heating Water Loop

On Jun 3, 12:34*pm, "
wrote:
On Jun 3, 10:44*am, dparent55

wrote:
I live in Maine. *My heating and hot water system is a bit unorthodox..
The system is designed around an 80000BTU/h hot water heater that is used
for both potable and hot water. *The system is 18 years old and works
great. *The hot water feeds a radiant floor heating system that
continually circulates the water in a heating loop with hot water injected
into the loop as needed. *Piping and Fittings are polyethylene rated for
this use with a few copper fittings here and there.

I am told that the system is not to code due to the mixing of potable and
HW. *Can I install a heat exchanger between the two circuits? *One plumber
says that code requires the use of a hot water boiler. *Another plumber
says no. *Multiple pro's seem to disagree. *To me it doesn't make sense to
use a boiler since my system does not require high water temperatures.
What does the code truly require?

--
posted fromhttp://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/separating-potable-water-fro...
using *HomeOwnersHub's *Web, RSS and Social Media Interface

Check with your local building department- Hide quoted text -

+1

I see companies selling heat exchangers for that purpose.
So apparently they are permitted, at least in some places.