View Single Post
  #281   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster

Default How to truck 1,000 gallons of potable water to a residence

How did this turn out for you Danny? I live on Clayton Road at 1000 foot elevation, rent a home with 2 wells. One, the original is 150 ft deep. The second added in the last drought is 350 feet deep. We have one 5000 gallon tank which over the past 3 years I have lived here has maintained 4500 gallon fill (presume there is a float shut-off so the well does not overfill the tank). Noticed 3 months ago that the water level had dropped to 1500 gallons and instituted drastic water conservation lifestyle changes. This morning awoke to dry taps in the house. (with no water down 350 feet its a wonder any trees survive... already lost and taken out 3 redwoods with their shallow root system did not make it). There apparently are only 2 licensed companies in Santa Clara Valley to deliver drinking quality water. Left messages with both this morning and no call back yet (now 1PM). I have an F-350 and have hauled an 8000 lb trailer up and down clayton road (with trailer brakes) and know it can haul 18000 pounds up this grade. Hence I like the idea of renting a 10,000 lb capacity dual axle trailer with brakes, buying a water tank (assuming it costs close to the est. $400, getting a meter from SJWC and a water pump to transfer from trailer to home storage tank. Five trips every 1-3 months in a trailer rented for the day sounds pretty cost effective, and self sufficient. Do you think others would need it up here? How to reach besides door to door? Not looking to make bank, just defray the cost of trailer rental and tank purchase, and do some good for the neighbors.

As mentioned, have not heard back from the water delivery services, but read on another board that it might cost $1000 for 5000 gallons of drinking water delivered. (did you find that to be the rate?). If so, it makes the trailer pulled by my own truck sound viable, and might offer a great deal to a few neighbors.

So I have a few questions you might have some insights into...

What price per 1000 gallons of drinking water did you find for delivery service?

Thoughts on attaching a tank to a rental trailer (8000 lb of water has huge momentum in any sudden maneuver, deer in the road kind of thing would make me a wary driver even with secure attachment... and would never transport less than topped off tank otherwise the sloshing on acceleration or braking would be problematic, the tank would not have baffles).

In the month(s) between fill-up what is the best way(s) to fight algae growth in the tank without making water thereafter unpotable in that tank?